• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madouu

Hah I just remembered that you could charge up the kinsect before shooting it and I've been having some good fun with it, just finished a frenzied tigrex with a fly bullet to the face.

Yrael

0dae98de2e.jpg

There's a new boss in this gym.

Which monster is this?

XaosWolf

Farming Najarala is incredibly tedious. All I need is 2 Chilling Beaks and for some reason they are a rare drop for something that is already difficult enough to reach/break as it is.

It's circling move is the most infuriating move I've encountered, waiting for you to get up just to move a little and knock you on your ass again and again and again.

Also what the fuck at it's tail bouncing blue in LR.

Shengar

I actually really like this detail in terms of world building. In 3U the guild seemed to have basically no presence in the world at all. Here with the lookout balloons and the Ace Hunters it feels like the guild actually does have some kind of intelligence network and fellow hunters employed like they're supposed to.
Well, it couls be part of the building's too, that is Moga Village or other area surrounding it is rather isolated. You have to remember that the Dragoonseer acting as lookout for elder dragon activitie. In MH3U, there are only 6 elder dragons. 2 were Mohran, other two is Ceadeus, underwater elder dragons that rarely appear and not actually threatening major settlement. Only the last two that actually need observation, but Alatreon seems doesn't like to wander off from sacred ground and Dire Miralis actually caught the Guild by surprise.

PrankT

Team carted on Ukanlos and abandoned me. Help! 68-6937-8034-0522

Side note: I hate that the urgent only counts for the initiating player. Really deemphasizes the teamwork atmosphere they built since people generally won't join a lobby where they get no progression benefit besides items.

Shengar

Team carted on Ukanlos and abandoned me. Help! 19-6452-5381-2159

Side note: I hate that the urgent only counts for the initiating player. Really deemphasizes the teamwork atmosphere they built since people generally won't join a lobby where they get no progression benefit besides items.
That sound horrible, wish I hadn't a class so I can helped you out.

Yeah, the system on how urgent quest work is really suck if you play with randoms with no sense of responsibili. Mostly I take urgent quest with Gaffers, and while tiring it's pretty fun and racked up materials of those monsters really nice. Not saying all randoms act like that though, as myself defeat Ukanlos with other people from a random lobby where all of us stay to the end.

burgerdog

Joined a g1 pug and there's three possible options: People know what they're doing in g rank, monster hp is kinda low, or I'm lucky as hell. Monsters are dying in about 4-6 minutes. I'm going with lucky as hell.

I actually really like this detail in terms of world building. In 3U the guild seemed to have basically no presence in the world at all. Here with the lookout balloons and the Ace Hunters it feels like the guild actually does have some kind of intelligence network and fellow hunters employed like they're supposed to.

For what it's worth, waving at the balloon has been in since at least the psp games.

jorgejjvr

Team carted on Ukanlos and abandoned me. Help! 68-6937-8034-0522

Not sure if you got disconnected or left, but I managed to finish him by myself when you left xD

PrankT

Not sure if you got disconnected or left, but I managed to finish him by myself when you left xD
You disconnected on my screen and then he stayed underground the entire time. I guess the game didn't want me to beat him. Wasted all night and nothing to show for it. Thanks though.

Is there a way to dodge his underground rush once he's honed in on you?

Made a new room, but not sure I even want to try again tonight. 30-6876-1475-0470 if anyone wants to play with a sad dude. There's two of us in, one or two more?

Shengar

You disconnected on my screen and then he stayed underground the entire time. I guess the game didn't want me to beat him. Wasted all night and nothing to show for it. Thanks though.

Is there a way to dodge his underground rush once he's honed in on you?

Made a new room, but not sure I even want to try again tonight. 30-6876-1475-0470 if anyone wants to play with a sad dude. There's two of us in, one or two more?
Raise your shield, or try to get to his sound. If it shake the arena where 2/5 of it become lowered significantly, you could try jump down below as while it can dig upward it can't dig downward.

PrankT

Raise your shield, or try to get to his sound. If it shake the arena where 2/5 of it become lowered significantly, you could try jump down below as while it can dig upward it can't dig downward.
He goes down! I have the Horn, so he's been spanking me.

jaosobno

GAF, please answer a few questions to a MH newbie:

1. How do I know when an armor is upgrade worthy? For example, I'm making Great Jaggi Armor, should I just replace it with a better one or is it worthy spending Armor Spheres on?

2. Is there any point in buying monster books? I buy Combo Books as soon as a new one is available since they point to item combos, but do monster books do anything useful?

3. Is Insect Glaive even viable weapon early in the game? I'm asking this since I'm still stuck with a starter IG and I can't even upgrade it since I still haven't met enemies that drop necessary materials. On the other hand, I've upgraded my Charge Blade twice already. I love playing with IG, however, it seems like it's more of a weapon that one should focus on later in the game.

4. So far, my two favorite weapons are CB and IG. I will probably main CB. What is the recommended secondary weapon? Perhaps Hammer, since I noticed that you get some materials from breaking monster's head and Hammers should be pretty good at that.

5. Regarding eating and cook recipes, how do I know which meal to eat before combat? I usually choose random fresh ingredients and hope for the best.

6. When do I start getting new Palicoes? So far, it's only Ace and me. How do I find/hire more?

7. Does Ace Palicoe need rest? Does it even lose motivation (or morale, I forgot how the stat is called)? I know that secondary Palicoes need resting.

8. When I need to farm armor ingredients from certain monsters, can I just redo the quest I already finished and still reap the rewards? For example, I need King's Frill from Great Jaggi to make chest piece. In order to get it, I need to break its head and then there is a chance I might get it as a mission reward upon quest completion. Can I just redo the same quest over and over again?

That's all I can think of right now. If you think there is something else I need to know, please, feel free to share :)

Shengar

He goes down! I have the Horn, so he's been spanking me.
Wait, so why it doesn't come down to me when I try to bait it to appear near the ledges? These monsters are sly I swear.

Well since you using horn the option left is:
1. Trying to outrun it
2. Trying to run around it
3. Chug a Mega Dash Juice and do number 1
4. Use farcaster

Number 2 is difficult, but it's more reliable once you know how to pull it.
Oh yeah, make sure you get rid of iceblight and have full stamina bar or it'll be difficult.

Black Gravios took a long time, but brought him down with a piercing water bow. Broke just about every part of him, and it was wonderful. HR6!

You want some help? Or are you doing the all solo thing?
I can do it but I think it would be faster with somebody else. How long are you gonna be on?

VandalD

1. How do I know when an armor is upgrade worthy? For example, I'm making Great Jaggi Armor, should I just replace it with a better one or is it worthy spending Armor Spheres on?

Upgrade with spheres if you like the skills the armor set gives you, though later rarity armors can have a lot better defense, especially when you hit high rank (HR4 or Caravan 7*)

2. Is there any point in buying monster books? I buy Combo Books as soon as a new one is available since they point to item combos, but do monster books do anything useful?

Not that I'm aware of.

3. Is Insect Glaive even viable weapon early in the game? I'm asking this since I'm still stuck with a starter IG and I can't even upgrade it since I still haven't met enemies that drop necessary materials. On the other hand, I've upgraded my Charge Blade twice already. I love playing with IG, however, it seems like it's more of a weapon that one should focus on later in the game.

I'm not sure.. I didn't use it until a bit later. It's a really strong weapon though.

4. So far, my two favorite weapons are CB and IG. I will probably main CB. What is the recommended secondary weapon? Perhaps Hammer, since I noticed that you get some materials from breaking monster's head and Hammers should be pretty good at that.

I would recommend picking a ranged weapon eventually. You can break parts with those, and you may find certain monsters easier with ranged weapons. All up to you though.

5. Regarding eating and cook recipes, how do I know which meal to eat before combat? I usually choose random fresh ingredients and hope for the best.

A good meal combo to start with is combining a fresh meat with anything else, which will give you an attack boost. Another one to consider is milk with almost anything else will give you resistances. So if you know you'll be against a fire-using monster, go milk and fish, saute it for fire resistance.

6. When do I start getting new Palicoes? So far, it's only Ace and me. How do I find/hire more?

You'll be able to get more soon after you get to the island town.

7. Does Ace Palicoe need rest? Does it even lose motivation (or morale, I forgot how the stat is called)? I know that secondary Palicoes need resting.

Ace never needs rest. Eating before a hunt really helps keep your main two palicoes' enthusiam up.

8. When I need to farm armor ingredients from certain monsters, can I just redo the quest I already finished and still reap the rewards? For example, I need King's Frill from Great Jaggi to make chest piece. In order to get it, I need to break its head and then there is a chance I might get it as a mission reward upon quest completion. Can I just redo the same quest over and over again?

Yep! That's what it's all about!

That's all I can think of right now. If you think there is something else I need to know, please, feel free to share :)

Welcome to Monster Hunter!

I can do it but I think it would be faster with somebody else. How long are you gonna be on?
Probably a couple more hours.

PrankT

Wait, so why it doesn't come down to me when I try to bait it to appear near the ledges? These monsters are sly I swear.

Well since you using horn the option left is:
1. Trying to outrun it
2. Trying to run around it
3. Chug a Mega Dash Juice and do number 1
4. Use farcaster

Number 2 is difficult, but it's more reliable once you know how to pull it.
Oh yeah, make sure you get rid of iceblight and have full stamina bar or it'll be difficult.

Thanks. The most successful I've been is diving left or right just before he hits me. Movie-style.

Also, team just carted to him again, haha. Never had to play a monster more than twice before this guy.

Victrix

*beard*

Armor Spheres are incredibly common later on, so you're not going to screw anything up by upgrading a set of armor now. Really, you can't screw anything up ever in MH, so don't freak out over using materials. By the time you're farming really rare monster parts, you'll know what's what.

Just more info in the hunting log afaik. Here's a handy monster tip though - once you can craft a monsters armor, check it's elemental resists - they almost always line up with what the monster is strong/weak against. Handy if you're choosing a weapon to hunt a particularly nasty monster and you don't feel like hitting up a website first.

Yes very, it's extremely strong. Red juice always, it gives a huge dps buff. Beyond that, you can upgrade your insect and it does damage every time it hits, plus IG is the easiest weapon to mount with - abuse your ability to jump strike! You can mount constantly, which does damage/break damage and then leaves the monster staggered on the ground so you can pound the hell out of it.

Doesn't matter really, craft whatever looks appealing at the moment and try it out. Literally every weapon in the game is good, it comes down to personal preference.

Check out GaijinHunter's videos on youtube, he has an excellent breakdown of every weapon in the game for MH4.

Hit left/right and up/down on the cooking menu after you pick two ingredients to see what buffs they give.

General rule of thumb is attack+ for hunting, gatherer/woodsman for farming materials, and whatever the explorer one is called for Expeditions.

Because they fill out their effects permanently once you eat a particular combination once, use harvesting/farming/easy missions as a chance to fill out your 'recipe book', and just pick a combo you haven't used before.

Story progression, keep playing.

Not that I know of.

Sure can. Don't spend too much time farming the non combat missions though, try to progress on big monsters as much as you can, take a break to complete villager quests now and then (often unlock new features for your caravan), do the odd expedition, and don't be shy about going online.

Generally the farming missions are there when you need a bunch of a specific item to craft some armor/weapons, so you don't need to complete them all to progress - certain key missions advance you, and those are 90% of the time the kill a big thing quests.

Shengar

Thanks. The most successful I've been is diving left or right just before he hits me. Movie-style.

Also, team just carted to him again, haha. Never had to play a monster more than twice before this guy.
I can understand that. For some people it is just icy punch bag. But any mistake could be very costly. From any other monster, I fainted to Ukanlos most due to its one hit ice beam and I was full HP at those time.

This is why I target it chin first so I can safely stab his butt later on.

PrankT

I can understand that. For some people it is just icy punch bag. But any mistake could be very costly. From any other monster, I fainted to Ukanlos most due to its one hit ice beam and I was full HP at those time.

This is why I target it chin first so I can safely stab his butt later on.
Ya, I think it's just being careless. I've died to him a couple times because you want to get in one more hit. Then he'll slap a mini combo on you and you're out. I'll get him someday, just wish it wasn't an urgent so it was easier to get players to join.

This is the first night where I achieved nothing. So sad.

Garou

Ukanlos is easy if you follow these 2 rules:
1. Run around him, not away from him if he goes underground.
2. If he prepares his beam (=sitting half inside the ground): Flashbomb to his face. If you are unsure if he's going to do the beam, throw it anyway just to be sure.

Also eat for ice-resistance and bring cleansers.

2. If he prepares his beam (=sitting half inside the ground): Flashbomb to his face. If you are unsure if he's going to do the beam, throw it anyway just to be sure.

Or if you have guard boost and use charge blade, make him FUCKING PAY FOR HIS INSOLENCE.

PrankT

My biggest problem is that I'm bad at soloing and my team carts 3 times (soon after the tail comes off). Almost beat him with him with jorgejjvr but we disconnected and my game glitched. Just bad luck so far.

Also, if he locks on he will turn left and right along with you. It's pretty funny, it's like you are controlling him.

Maybe I should use a faster weapon with guard for this one. I'll get you Uklanos, watch out.

My biggest problem is that I'm bad at soloing and my team carts 3 times (soon after the tail comes off). Almost beat him with him with jorgejjvr but we disconnected and my game glitched. Just bad luck so far.

Also, if he locks on he will turn left and right along with you. It's pretty funny, it's like you are controlling him.

Maybe I should use a faster weapon with guard for this one.

He does turn left/right and will continue to chase you if you were slightly in front of him trying to run around, but if you run around and pretty much almost behind him, he can't u-turn. So pretty much, you kind of have to preempt it.

Shengar

I don't know you can flash bomb It face to stop it Ice Beam o_O

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Finally made it to G1

Jumped from HR7 to HR58 lol. Unkalos does a lot of damage but honestly I thought he was really easy, and I really did not enjoy dulmaldur, not looking forward to having to farm that thing ever.

Shengar

Finally made it to G1

Jumped from HR7 to HR58 lol. Unkalos does a lot of damage but honestly I thought he was really easy, and I really did not enjoy dulmaldur, not looking forward to having to farm that thing ever.
I want to ignore Dalamadur but three Skyblade Gems tempt me to do otherwise.
Shattered Omen mining is the worst.

Kard8p3

fuck yes, finally got my CPP in the mail, now I can really sink my teeth in.

I've narrowed the weapons I want to use down to 3: Charge Blade, Dual Blades, Great Sword. What weapons should I try to make asap for these 3? Or does it not matter too much?

fuck yes, finally got my CPP in the mail, now I can really sink my teeth in.

I've narrowed the weapons I want to use down to 3: Charge Blade, Dual Blades, Great Sword. What weapons should I try to make asap for these 3? Or does it not matter too much?

Charge Blade and Dual Blades, make every element you can, because they matter a lot for those weapons.

Great Sword, go for whatever the highest raw/sharpness you can find is. Element isn't as important.

Is using Chaos Gore weapons on non-infected enemies dumb or am I missing something? Seeing a lot of them

I think I remember seeing a comment on Gaijinhunter's guide on them that the CB is the only one worth using on non-frenzied monsters due to it's hugely inflated raw compared to other impact CBs.

Pretty sure the other weapons are strictly worse unless you can reliably get and overcome the virus for most of the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom