• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilium

I am living hunting with my bow. Quick question though. What armour/stats should i look into since the game is rather obtuse about explaining that.

the velociprey armor is really good for a start. gives +13 attack +10 stun and +7 vision, which you can get up to +15 attack and +10 vision.
if you want more defense get the tetsucabra armor.

i'm using the bow myself, but have no idea which ones are good. using the Hunter's Stoutbow I at the moment.

Never played a mh before. Just finished the first job from the cook. A few questions/comments:

So far I'm liking the fast weapons best. Haven't tried them all but dual blades feels best. The big slow weapons feel soooooo clunky to me, especially the greatsword. Anone feel the same way?

On one quest my stamina bar went down to almost nothing and turned red, and wouldn't go back up. I couldn't even run for more than a second before running out of breath. It seemed to go back to normal when I went back to town. What was that?

Can you use a whetstone in town? Can weapons be sharpened infinitely, or are there a limited number of sharpenings per weapon?

Is the target lock only available for certaIn enemies? I can't get it to work, always grayed out.

I'm sure I will think of more.

tuffy

go back up. I couldn't even run for more than a second before running out of breath. It seemed to go back to normal when I went back to town. What was that?
The maximum size of your stamina bar drops over time. Eating rations or cooked steaks brings it back up again - among other things.
Can you use a whetstone in town? Can weapons be sharpened infinitely, or are there a limited number of sharpenings per weapon?
Your weapon always starts out at its maximum sharpness every time you start a quest. The sharpness drops as you hit monsters, but you can sharpen it an infinite number of times to bring it back up again.
Is the target lock only available for certaIn enemies? I can't get it to work, always grayed out.
Target lock works on big monsters, and they'll need to be in the same room with you in order for it to be selectable.

Zunja

Ha yeah I meant sonic waves, don't remember all the names yet. Is there somewhere I can see what all this stuff does?

I am loving this game and my hunting horn.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
So far I'm liking the fast weapons best. Haven't tried them all but dual blades feels best. The big slow weapons feel soooooo clunky to me, especially the greatsword. Anone feel the same way?

With big weapons like the Great Sword you have to get into the habit of unsheathing/sheathing the weapon and picking your spots. Dance around the monster until it telegraphs an attack, run and charge a slash, hit it once or twice then roll away and put the GS away until the next opening.

In this video the player is using a skill so they can sheathe faster but the basics of using something like the GS.

OceanBlue

I haven't played that long, but in my experience it comes down to becoming more familiar with the moves you're committing yourself to and whether you're about to commit yourself to something that will get you hit. There's definitely a learning curve.

With big weapons like the Great Sword you have to get into the habit of unsheathing/sheathing the weapon and picking your spots. Dance around the monster until it telegraphs an attack, run and charge a slash, hit it once or twice then roll away and put the GS away until the next opening.

In this video the player is using a skill so they can sheathe faster but the basics of using something like the GS.

Is there a place to find compilations for people who use weapons well? I want to learn how to play a little better than mashing some self-made combo whenever I can lol.

Mask

Welp, Amazon has done it again.

I haven't grabbed a copy yet, but my younger brothers copy was left hanging out of the letterbox slot earlier today by the delivery person, and it's just gone. Either stolen or put through the wrong door. Bloody hell..

I'm thinking it'll be a digital copy for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think I like the insect glaive. It has so much going on during combat and the thing dulls like after 2 hits.

I'm trying to find King's Frills to complete a very beginning Jaggi set to no avail. You have to break the frills, right? How do I mount it? Never got any prompt when jumping whatsoever.

Just keep attacking its face to break the frills, if you're using a hard hitting weapon it should be easier.

Koeta

The weapons and combat in general is a bit strange at first but you'll get used to it, it's half the fun lol.

You can use items to restore your stamina gauge in the field.

as for whetstone in town and target lock I haven't played in ages and not sure I believe your weapons sharpness goes back up after a mission? and I believe target lock is only for bosses but I could be wrong.

Never played a mh before. Just finished the first job from the cook. A few questions/comments:

On one quest my stamina bar went down to almost nothing and turned red, and wouldn't go back up. I couldn't even run for more than a second before running out of breath. It seemed to go back to normal when I went back to town. What was that?

I'm sure I will think of more.

Koeta

Welp, Amazon has done it again.

I haven't grabbed a copy yet, but my younger brothers copy was left hanging out of the letterbox slot earlier today by the delivery person, and it's just gone. Either stolen or put through the wrong door. Bloody hell..

I'm thinking it'll be a digital copy for me.

That sucks but it's not really amazons fault, it's the mailman.

Amazon normally is good about replacing these things though I believe.

Seregios is a tough bugger to kill. :c

Nonetheless, based Insect Glaive has done it again. I don't think that any other weapon (bar Duel Swords) could truly keep up with Seregios. Definitely worth killing, though. The gear is fantastic.

Mask

That sucks but it's not really amazons fault, it's the mailman.

Amazon normally is good about replacing these things though I believe.

He had tracking, so it was probably delivered by Amazons own delivery service, and they've always been pretty hit and miss.

Our postman is a quality bloke, so I'd be really surprised if it was him. He's already getting a replacement apparently, we had a few parcels stolen before and it turned out the Amazon logistics driver was marking them delivered and then just taking them home!

Just gotta wait until next month to get my copy, soon, my monsters, soon..

I had such trouble with my sd card reader last night that it took me about 4 hrs till I was done with moving everything over to the micro sd but that's out of the way and now i'm playing. But good god can I please be done with the tutorial quests already?

Noob question, is there any way to tell whats potentially crafting material and whats vendor junk?

Man, really wish there was some guide, having a paper would be great just to see what all the neat weapons and armor look like

Maybe I missed something, but I just got to the second are
the volcano place
and I was wondering how do I get more palicos and how to I get more or upgrade their equipment?

Noob question, is there any way to tell whats potentially crafting material and whats vendor junk?

Man, really wish there was some guide, having a paper would be great just to see what all the neat weapons and armor look like
Just send everything to your box. Almost everything has some use, either for crafting, combining or whatever. There are a few things that are vendor trash like some treasures but those usually mention it in the description that they are useless for a hunter.

Sane_Man

Is there eventually a way of buying sap plant? Or at least a reliable farming method? I'm running out of it constantly and farming it is becoming a real slog. Plants barely ever yield it for me. I need my paintballs and tranq bombs!

Kensuke

Done farming my SeregiosX set. Awesome skills:

Steady Hand (Mind's Eye + Razor Sharp)
Adrenaline +2
Negate Bleeding
Slow Sharpening (negative)
Attack Up XL (all gems)

I'm trying to get Sharpness+1 on it as well. Should make it awesome.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
K i am ready to start my huntin'! Hope to see some of you along the way after I've ploughed through the basics in sp :)

I put in a considerable amount of hours in mh3u (3ds/wii u), so I guess that shouldn't take so long, haven't really followed what's new and stuff though

Kandinsky

Monhun community is really bad when it comes to this. There are a lot of french, german, spanish etc players that refuse to talk in english.
For me it's super annoying because I play theses games in english and my kids play theirs in spanish and most of the time I have no idea what items they're after when they ask me for help lol.

But yeah sometimes people dont know any english, it's not like they refuse they just cant, especially kids.

Edit: anyways I regret not going digital with this, so jelly atm.

ohkay

Played a little yesterday and I'm debating whether to main charge blade or hammer/gs (these were my mains in 3u). I like the challenge of timing my hits, but it seems like there's some complexity to the charge blade that make it appealing to me. Can anyone with more experience with these weigh in?

Hellraider

Played a little yesterday and I'm debating whether to main charge blade or hammer/gs (these were my mains in 3u). I like the challenge of timing my hits, but it seems like there's some complexity to the charge blade that make it appealing to me. Can anyone with more experience with these weigh in?

Why do you have to main something? Choose your weapon depending on what monster you are up against each time.

Korten

Banned
Playing on the new 3DS, after playing 3 Ultimate on the original 3DS...

Damn, the bigger screen is just a blessing. I can't imagine why anyone would want the small 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom