• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!

Met the Tetsucabra for the first time, wasn't prepared at all, still rocking armor and LS from the beginning. Already died 2 times, no potions, 1 cm health bar and 35 seconds on the clock left. And I killed this thing.

My hands are still shaking. :D

Good job bro. No other games have given me such great moments like you mentioned. Only in Monster Hunter.

That charges your phials doesn't it? To charge your shield, I think your phials have to be loaded filled/loaded (white), then when you're charged with either yellow or red, you switch into axe mode then initiate a super (a+x) and during the first part of the super animation you cancel it by sheathing back (R) to sword mode and it will charge your shield (it'll glow red and you'll have a red shield icon next to your sharpeness meter).

That's how I'm doing it at least, but I don't know if that's the correct or easiest way to do it?
Another awesome way to charge the shield/axe is to use X+A during a combo to smack the monster with the shield, then X+A again to start the axe super, then R to charge the shield.
The combo would look like:
X/A/X+A -> X+A -> X+A -> R

Prototype

Noob question, is there any way to tell whats potentially crafting material and whats vendor junk?

Man, really wish there was some guide, having a paper would be great just to see what all the neat weapons and armor look like
Keep everything until space becomes an issue. You'll never know when you need that one odd item for a weapon or armor.

aka_bueno

Another awesome way to charge the shield/axe is to use X+A during a combo to smack the monster with the shield, then X+A again to start the axe super, then R to charge the shield.

Don't you need to be in sword mode to use the shield attack (X+A)? X+A after the X+A shield attack in sword mode will transform into axe mode and start the axe super???

I haven't tried that yet, I thought only way to transform into axe mode was R+X.

OceanBlue

Are you expected to go online only after you've done a good amount of offline play? I'm kinda interested in trying it but I'm not very good lol.

ilium

I failed my first quest earlier. I was putting the trap down in the 3* Gendrome capture quest when a genprey killed it T_T.

that's the quest i wanted to do next, so i'll be extra careful when putting down my trap. :p

i have a question: how exactly do i progress in multiplayer? i guess there are key quests like village. but do i have to host the room or can i complete a keyquest in another lobby?

Either the starting hammer is really weak as hell or I suck now. I hammered the first Guild Great Jaggy for over 15 minutes before he died. Triple pounds and super pounds on the head so frequently. I probably KO'd him at least 5 times.

I'm thinking about picking up a New 3DS XL and this game, I was wondering if there would be any reason to pick up MH3U after playing this one? I'm unfamiliar with the series, but I know that every game gets new monsters and new weapons. Would there be a reason to play 3 before 4 (aside from price), or to play 3 after 4? Or is 4 pretty much the previous game + more?

I've captured 8 Blue Yian Kut Kus in high rank and I've yet to get a single fucking Monster Keenbone, 27% capture rate on KiroNico by fucking ass.

It's cause you're actually trying to get that Item. Desire sensor has struck again.

Edit: there are some monsters in 3U that aren't in this one but I wouldn't really say you need to go back and play that one.

Just beat the Kut Ku - anyone else think the Light Bowgun has been buffed in this on compared to MH3U? I'm taking stuff down crazy fast.

Also, played MH3U on an OG 3DS, playing this one on the same. So far, everything is perfect :)

Peru

I'm thinking about picking up a New 3DS XL and this game, I was wondering if there would be any reason to pick up MH3U after playing this one? I'm unfamiliar with the series, but I know that every game gets new monsters and new weapons. Would there be a reason to play 3 before 4 (aside from price), or to play 3 after 4? Or is 4 pretty much the previous game + more?

3 has underwater fights... and quite a few monsters not in 4. Many of the best ones in the series. But 4 improved fight dynamics might make 3 seem limited.

The story, all the maps, and most of the monsters are completely different than 3; not necessarily "better" but different. The weapons are mostly the same with the exception of 4 having a couple extra.

They really are two totally separate games. There are aspects of 4 that are better than 3, but not many. You should be fine playing 3 after 4 if you want - I enjoyed it immensely. Also, there are no underwater battles in 4 (which most people are happy about, but I do miss the Lagiacrus).

Just played my first arena battle online.. its perfect... so amazing, so much fun. Killing that monster was really a blast and was super satisfying. Finding a gathering hall was easy. This is the best. The N3ds was meant for this. I love it. This is my game of the year. THis is all I will be playing for the rest of the year.

Peru

Underwater had tons of potential and tons of atmosphere, they just should've stayed away from putting monsters in cramped spaces.

Sane_Man

So my Nerscylla armour has the negative perk on it which means I get hungry quicker (negative 10 on hunger). Now I've applied a Hungerless jewel it takes it to -8; does this mean it doesn't affect me? Or should I be trying to lower it as much as possible?

Beats

So my Nerscylla armour has the negative perk on it which means I get hungry quicker (negative 10 on hunger). Now I've applied a Hungerless jewel it takes it to -8; does this mean it doesn't affect me? Or should I be trying to lower it as much as possible?

It doesn't affect you now with -8. That negative skill only has an effect when it's at -10.

Synless

Ok, help me out. I dl'd the starter pack and didn't realize I could only have 6 super mushrooms. I fucked up and created Luigi armor and a mario hat, now I have no hammer. So I started over after I realized you can't get super mushrooms and low and behold the start pack isn't there anymore, now I'm fucked. Is there no hope now?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Just played my first arena battle online.. its perfect... so amazing, so much fun. Killing that monster was really a blast and was super satisfying. Finding a gathering hall was easy. This is the best. The N3ds was meant for this. I love it. This is my game of the year. THis is all I will be playing for the rest of the year.
I guess that's one way to guarantee it's your GOTY lol.

3 has underwater fights... and quite a few monsters not in 4. Many of the best ones in the series. But 4 improved fight dynamics might make 3 seem limited.

The story, all the maps, and most of the monsters are completely different than 3; not necessarily "better" but different. The weapons are mostly the same with the exception of 4 having a couple extra.

They really are two totally separate games. There are aspects of 4 that are better than 3, but not many. You should be fine playing 3 after 4 if you want - I enjoyed it immensely. Also, there are no underwater battles in 4 (which most people are happy about, but I do miss the Lagiacrus).

Thanks for the help! I was under the impression that not much changed between the numbered releases, aside from monsters and weapons. I think I'll be picking MH4U and then pick up 3 if I still want more. Thanks again!

kollapse

Neo Member
After playing the import MH4 on my Japanese original 3DS for over 100 hours, I am having a ton of problems getting used to my n3DS XL. I find I'm using the touch screen camera control instinctively way more than the C stick. It's a re-learning process. So good, though, this game... So good.

Question: Was the battery meter on loading screens removed from 4G in the Japanese release? Or did they just take it out for 4U? It seems strange; I found it helpful for long sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom