• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. What's your FC?

Also, are you new to the series? The answer doesn't matter. I'm just curious.

can I get in on the group action? I'm fairly new to the series, didn't get very far w/ mh3u... but will be playing this a lot since boston is now basically buried in snow

my fc: 3351-4048-6019

jorgejjvr

can I get in on the group action? I'm fairly new to the series, didn't get very far w/ mh3u... but will be playing this a lot since boston is now basically buried in snow

my fc: 3351-4048-6019

Alright! I'll add you right after this quest. Then we'll get hunting!

Mine is 0619-5648-7368

Beartruck

hey Gaf, would you recommend this for a MonHun newbie?

This is my first MonHun also, so I would recommend the following: Download the demo, and try as many weapons as possible. There are 14 different types, and I thought I hated the game until I found a couple that grooved with me.

The game is a lot of fun, but don't expect a story. It's all about the gameplay loop of kill monster->harvest loot from monster->use loot to make better equipment to hunt more monsters.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fucking christ opening a 3DS is an exercise in agony. You have to use one of those stupid tiny screwdrivers that dig into your hand like an ice pick and every screw has been driven in by a faulty Rhythm Heaven robot that cranks everything down to maximum

Somebody said wrassling? I'm in.

Also, brought the game + CPP with me, if I have time I'll play it.

(Unfortunately, internet sucks here, so I'll have to go solo).

btkadams

Are there water areas in this game? That kind of turned me off of MH3 to be honest. Not that they weren't interesting areas, but I kind of have an irrational fear of underwater creatures.

I'm really surprised at how functional the virtual d-pad is. I only miss having a button to activate target cam, without a CPP I find myself having to rely on it a lot. Hopefully it doesn't screw me over in fights against 2 monsters at once. ><;;;

Oersted

Fucking christ opening a 3DS is an exercise in agony. You have to use one of those stupid tiny screwdrivers that dig into your hand like an ice pick and every screw has been driven in by a faulty Rhythm Heaven robot that cranks everything down to maximum

Tried this?

So, I got my New Nintendo 3DS XL today. Did a system transfer from my UK console, all went well. Decided to have a look at the new functions on the system menu. microSD Management? That's new. Let's try that.

(FBI SURVELLIANCE VAN is the SSID of my router network, if that wasn't obvious)

holy shit

i0m4OqxUxSxAk.png

My New Nintendo 3DS (well, the SD at least) is now a network storage device. I can transfer any file types back and forth, and I never have to remove the SD card again. I can even set the thing as a network drive!

jb1gX0aQRItidZ.png

Is this the first of its kind? I am kinda shocked at how good this is. I knew there would be a way to transfer files, but Nintendo never elaborated on it other than "yeah you can transfer music and photos across"

Btw

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=30902808

Hehe XD

PusherT

How does Hunter for hire work? I know you have to trade guild cards but can you use the hunters only once or is it unlimited?

Moondrop

Banned
Moving the virtual d-pad to the upper-right corner on the 2DS makes it quite ergonomically suited to my thumb. No lack of n3dsxl regret here yet.

tuffy

Are there water areas in this game? That kind of turned me off of MH3 to be honest. Not that they weren't interesting areas, but I kind of have an irrational fear of underwater creatures.
All the underwater sections and underwater-specific monsters are gone. It's all about climbing now.

Feonix

Me and my friends who all picked up MH4U had a party yesterday and played for about 5 hours. In many of the missions we played, somebody got dropped from the connection and had to complete the remainder of the quest by themselves. This happened - no joke - about 20 times throughout the night.

We were just doing the local play option. We were all sitting within 5 feet of one another. It just kept dropping people randomly. Wasn't the same person every time.

Anybody know wtf is going on here? This is really frustrating. I'm honestly considering returning the game. I only bought it to play with friends.

Khezu

Charge Blade is weird as hell, took me awhile to figure out just what the hell I was doing.
Really digging it though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Me and my friends who all picked up MH4U had a party yesterday and played for about 5 hours. In many of the missions we played, somebody got dropped from the connection and had to complete the remainder of the quest by themselves. This happened - no joke - about 20 times throughout the night.

We were just doing the local play option. We were all sitting within 5 feet of one another. It just kept dropping people randomly. Wasn't the same person every time.

Anybody know wtf is going on here? This is really frustrating. I'm honestly considering returning the game. I only bought it to play with friends.

Cant say, except seven other people and I played for around six hours last night in the same room and that never happened

This happened to my group once, do any of you have any sort of metal/aluminum case on your 3DS? Once the person that kept disconnecting theirs took it off, we had no problems.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Been trying out the Insect Glaive and I really enjoy it, but can someone tell me if there's way to farm speed nectar early on? I got some nectar from rewards, and most of it is power nextar, which I don't really need. I want speed nectar that makes my insect fly faster.
The fastest way to get the best speed nectar (+2 or 3 iirc) in 4 was to outright buy it from the farm npc with guild points. I don't know if they changed it in G/U.
You can reset his item list by doing any quest, so just do it until you get the nectar.

Edit:
As for the "we were playing locally and had problems" - did you all patch the game? I remember problems like that with Smash when people with both patched and unpatched versions were trying to play together.

Chunky

Just got my copy, can't wait to dig in.
But there's something fun I practiced in the demo. You know that pro-technique where you time your GS charge perfectly and knock down a charging/flying monster? It doesn't require timing quite as precise, but if you do a jump attack off a ledge at a flying monster you can get a really satisfying knockdown. Try it out!

edit:
Landing the GOTCHA BITCH is so satisfying. Killing things as they fly towards me is just

This hunter gets it!

Kane1345

Just got my copy, can't wait to dig in.
But there's something fun I practiced in the demo. You know that pro-technique where you time your GS charge perfectly and knock down a charging/flying monster? It doesn't require timing quite as precise, but if you do a jump attack off a ledge at a flying monster you can get a really satisfying knockdown. Try it out!

Did that last night on Seltas whilst playing with my friends. Then everyone tried doing it all the time, was pretty funny hehe. Something even cooler is using the insect glaive and doing the vault from a standing position and knocking a monster out of the air. I will attempt that when I start using glaive myself but right now I'm all about GS as usual :)

bobohoro

Charge Blade is weird as hell, took me awhile to figure out just what the hell I was doing.
Really digging it though.

I'm still learning, but right now my main aim is to get sword mode to red, reload the phial, axe mode A->A->cancel into power up and then proceed to just wail on anything I manage to hit.

Don't know how efficient that is yet, since the first big monsters all died before I could even really get into the powered up state.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Any Heavy Bowgun tips? It was my favorite class in the demo but I know you need some proper funding for the amount of bullets you buy. I heard it's pretty advanced but I've gotten used to it.

Chunky

Did that last night on Seltas whilst playing with my friends. Then everyone tried doing it all the time, was pretty funny hehe. Something even cooler is using the insect glaive and doing the vault from a standing position and knocking a monster out of the air. I will attempt that when I start using glaive myself but right now I'm all about GS as usual :)

Yeah IG has some really cool mobility-based attacks.
Really like the backwards swipe attack > backwards pole vault combo.

Just started. Haven't seriously sat down and played an MH game since MH Freedom Unite on the PSP. So many changes, I'm a little overwhelmed.
If anybody wants to do some low-level quests, hit me up.

0963 - 0483 - 6793

The Lamp

It took me like 45 seconds.

I have a screwdriver kit I got from Walmart that has every sized screwdriver you could need that magnetically attaches to a handle and has an extension piece if you need a long screwdriver. You can even use the bits in drills.

I just grabbed the smallest I could find, unscrewed them until they stopped unscrewing, then popped the back off with my fingers.

It was really painless. I'm guessing the majority of people's frustration comes from the fact they don't own a good set of screwdriver heads/drill bits, which one really ought to purchase for annoying instances like this.

It took me like 45 seconds.

I have a screwdriver kit I got from Walmart that has every sized screwdriver you could need that magnetically attaches to a handle and has an extension piece if you need a long screwdriver. You can even use the bits in drills.

I just grabbed the smallest I could find, unscrewed them until they stopped unscrewing, then popped the back off with my fingers.

It was really painless. I'm guessing the majority of people's frustration comes from the fact they don't own a good set of screwdriver heads/drill bits, which one really ought to purchase for annoying instances like this.

It took me a while to figger out the screws don't come out completely :p.

Vena

I have to say, having now started 4U, it definitely opens up and plays better than 3U did for me, and this is still on the OG3DSXL.

tuffy

Any Heavy Bowgun tips? It was my favorite class in the demo but I know you need some proper funding for the amount of bullets you buy. I heard it's pretty advanced but I've gotten used to it.
I've hardly bought any shots thus far. The early quests where you're gathering or killing small monsters can be completed with your infinite supply of normal lv. 1, but the supply box still has stacks of free normal lv. 2 and pellet lv. 1. Just keep grabbing them and hoarding them for later.

Otherwise, get used to using the scope to place shots well, try to roll instead of sheathing in order to get around when possible, and learn how to roll directly into crouching fire when an opportunity to use it comes up (like when the monster's fatigued, trapped, etc.). The bowgun controls are fairly basic, so it's mostly about using the right shots against the right weak spots.

Pics_nao

How do I use bows properly? I made the Seltas one because it looked cool and I have no clue what I'm doing. Also, how do I make bomb casings? I need tranq bombs badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom