• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you start fighting Teostra you'll love them. He has a one hit kill attack with absolutely no tell and the only way to stop it is to mount him every time he goes into rage mode.
Haven't fought Teostra yet, but perhaps I'll change my tune, that sounds nasty. I'd imagine those that make it to elder dragons know what they are doing a bit more.

I rarely see people with it online, when I do they aren't THAT bad. I usually spend my time getting buffs, then toppling at the right times.
Really? It's the most common one I see. Or perhaps there is some perception bias going on now after so many poor experiences.

Its such a fascinating thing seeing such a technical weapon used so simply. Its a deceptive new toy lol
Maybe that's the main frustration, I watched the Gaijinhunter video about it, so I see what it can do, but so many don't do any of it.

Long sword is the best weapon. (Or at least the most cool looking...)
Eye of the beholder I suppose. I find it one of the least visually appealing; channels too much Sephiroth. The tail cutting ability when in the right hands is great though!

Kinsei

Banned
what the hell?

Haven't fought the new Teo yet. Is that a new attack?

He was already a hard as balls monster

Yeah it's new. 90 seconds after going into rage mode he'll create an explosion around him that will kill you if you're hit by it. The only way to stop this is to mount him as it takes him out of rage mode.

Volcynika

Just generally, is there any indications in-game as to a monster's elemental weakness or whatever? I know some are probably obvious (Zamtrios weak to lightning) but not sure if there is a way to tell outside of just looking online.

Just generally, is there any indications in-game as to a monster's elemental weakness or whatever? I know some are probably obvious (Zamtrios weak to lightning) but not sure if there is a way to tell outside of just looking online.

The armor

Classic way to find the weaknesses is to look at their armor set

Some of the pieces even indicate what part of the body is weakest to what but its far from exact.

The online charts are the most reliable but thats the quick and dirty solution

ilium

check their armor for elemental resistance. ;)

not 100% accurate tho.

The main ingame way is to kill one, get some parts, and look at the resistances on the armor you can make from that monster. The resistances are rough indicators of what it's weak to, and to what degree it's weak.

Yeah you can run away from it. It's big, but not that big. I usually just have a countdown going on in my head when fighting it and I stay away from it when it's nearing the 90 second mark.

Does it still have the red and yellow sparks that give away the aoe explosion distance?

Volcynika

check their armor for elemental resistance. ;)

not 100% accurate tho.

The armor

Classic way to find the weaknesses is to look at their armor set

Some of the pieces even indicate what part of the body is weakest to what but its far from exact.

The online charts are the most reliable but thats the quick and dirty solution

The main ingame way is to kill one, get some parts, and look at the resistances on the armor you can make from that monster. The resistances are rough indicators of what it's weak to, and to what degree it's weak.

Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner! Thanks!

Kinsei

Banned
Does it still have the red and yellow sparks that give away the aoe explosion distance?

Nope. Now it's a red hazy circle that appears around him and the explosions happen in the rim of it. There's now more than two distances so I can understand why they changed it.

R0ckman

Yeah it's new. 90 seconds after going into rage mode he'll create an explosion around him that will kill you if you're hit by it. The only way to stop this is to mount him as it takes him out of rage mode.

If you are talking about the HR7 one, it doesn't kill in one hit unless you have low base health at the start, it does tons of damage but it's not a guaranteed OHK, I remember getting hit by it, losing a ton of my health and getting confused at why there were no tells.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

It has one pretty obvious tell, he begins to fly. Any time Teo is in the air just run away from him.

upandaway

I'm either missing something with the Glaive or it's just not for me. It's really really hard for me to get the red buffs, much less red+white, and even when I do I don't feel like I'm doing any significant damage (no big flinches or anything).

Also, I did a bit of the first 2 arenas with a friend and we had a really hard time getting S-Rank. The times are definitely a lot tighter than they were in Tri or 3U. We still haven't gotten S-Rank on Kecha Wacha, closest we got was 4:27 with LBG+DS.
We also tried IG+LBG which seemed like it's the best combo to use, but we're both so bad with the IG that we couldn't do it, our best was 5 minutes.

burgerdog

Doesn't he fly and hover above ground for 2 seconds or so before he super novas? The only people that I've seen die to that is IG users. Can't blame them though if they've never seen Teostra before, but if they keep dying then yea it's a problem.

Leezard

Is there anything decent you can actually do with Wyvern gems? I have 27 pieces of them so far and I might start selling some.

Kinsei

Banned
Doesn't he fly and hover above ground for 2 seconds or so before he super novas? The only people that I've seen die to that is IG users. Can't blame them though if they've never seen Teostra before, but if they keep dying then yea it's a problem.

And if you were attacking him when he leaves the ground you're going to get hit by the attack. A tell isn't a tell if the attack happens that fast.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is there anything decent you can actually do with Wyvern gems? I have 27 pieces of them so far and I might start selling some.

For just the standard wyvern gems? I am pretty sure you need 10 of em for the ukanlos set.

That's a pretty notable one, they're also used for a few good weapon upgrades.

burgerdog

And if you were attacking him when he leaves the ground you're going to get hit by the attack. A tell isn't a tell if the attack happens that fast.

I don't know, if the attack was that big of problem we'd have triple cart super novas and a ton of people complaining about the monster being super lame.

ninja edit
I'm now fully expecting to die to super nova the next time I hunt Teostra.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ugh. I need Conga Pelt+ for the E. Congalala set, but the only place I have to farm high rank Congas right now is P. Forest, and there's like three of them there and they don't respawn. I need 8 of the damn things and I only get like one per trip out there. This is awful. Is there any better way to do this?

Valus

Yeah the supernova doesn't one shot (at least in HR) but does do a lot of damage. It does stun you 100% after you get up from getting sent flying from my experience. So if you're unlucky and he goes for you...he can 2-shot you.

Ugh. I need Conga Pelt+ for the E. Congalala set, but the only place I have to farm high rank Congas right now is P. Forest, and there's like three of them there and they don't respawn. I need 8 of the damn things and I only get like one per trip out there. This is awful. Is there any better way to do this?

High rank expeditions and guild quest.

You should have one that has Conga spawns in it and they are infinite. I was able to kill 37 high rank kelbi in a row non stop in the high rank velocidrome GQ. Its the best way to get small monster parts hands down

Iceman829

I have finally decided to take the plunge and picked up a n3DS XL today during lunch. I ordered MH through amazon, but won't get it until Monday. I was wondering about the new weapons in the game/ weapons I've never used before. I have only played the console games in the past (ps2, wii, wii u) and only used the LS, Hammer, Lance. I've tried some of the other types, but never really tried any of the newer ones like hunting horn, gunlance, insect glaive and charge blade. I was wondering if any of these are worth investing in as I would probably try to use some time with the demo to learning the controls of them.

Also, is there anything else I should prep myself for in terms of moving to the handheld and with the controls? I figure I should start offline and build up my gear and supplies first before heading online as well. Any other changes to the game I should be aware of?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
High rank expeditions and guild quest.

You should have one that has Conga spawns in it and they are infinite. I was able to kill 37 high rank kelbi in a row non stop in the high rank velocidrome GQ. Its the best way to get small monster parts hands down

I've been doing the expeditions and getting almost nothing. Guess I'll look into the guild quests, but eh, soloing a HR guild quest doesn't sound terribly fun right now.

Raide

I have finally decided to take the plunge and picked up a n3DS XL today during lunch. I ordered MH through amazon, but won't get it until Monday. I was wondering about the new weapons in the game/ weapons I've never used before. I have only played the console games in the past (ps2, wii, wii u) and only used the LS, Hammer, Lance. I've tried some of the other types, but never really tried any of the newer ones like hunting horn, gunlance, insect glaive and charge blade. I was wondering if any of these are worth investing in as I would probably try to use some time with the demo to learning the controls of them.

Also, is there anything else I should prep myself for in terms of moving to the handheld and with the controls? I figure I should start offline and build up my gear and supplies first before heading online as well. Any other changes to the game I should be aware of?

Right at the start, you have loads of Weapon Training quests to play with all of the weapons.

Charge Blade seems really damn good but takes a while to master. Same with the BugStaff. Nice new additions to the already heafy roster.

I also got the N3DS XL and the extra screen space is nice. Getting use to the controls can take a little while, espeically since you can get some hand cramps if you're not use to using a handheld

There is a gift available for new users, so don't forget to check out teh process as you start and get your free stuff. Lots of early materials and items to help out.

Is this game fun to play solo? I played the demo and enjoyed it... I really need something to occupy me until Hotline Miami 2 and Bloodborne. This looks great.

I don't have the new 3DS XL though.

Kinsei

Banned
Is this game fun to play solo? I played the demo and enjoyed it... I really need something to occupy me until Hotline Miami 2 and Bloodborne. This looks great.

I don't have the new 3DS XL though.

Yes. The majority of my over 100 hour play time has been solo.

rpmurphy

When you get the game, you should definitely go talk to the housecat to download the free starter's kit DLC which gives you a lot of supply items from the get-go. Doing the offline quests will help upgrade the mechanic that allows you to "farm" raw materials, but you can always stagger back and forth between offline and online if you want to (some upgrades are going to be only from guild hall quests anyway). Offline is not devoid of content.

Dreavus

When do Caravan quests start being considered "high rank"? Is it 7 stars? I'm sitting in 5 star quests right now.

I'm thinking about an intermediate armor set to get me into high rank. I've been using Low rank lvl 3 Tetsu as a good all around set so far, but I'll likely need to change it up soon.

EDIT: Thanks for the Gravios advice earlier. I guess the face is armored for a reason.

Kinsei

Banned
Hi, all. I am new here and have been in the dark about the game.

I checked the OP but could not find the answer to my first question.

I had heard that items and some progress would not crossover between offline and online modes. Can someone clarify this for me? After hours spent on MH3U, I would find this surprising but wanted to make sure.

Also, for anyone over the age of 30 (apologies to my younger friends here), please my FC:

1521-5742-2572

Everything carries over. I'm not sure what they;re talking about. Maybe they were referring to the wystones and dense marcoal which are only unlocked through single player?

When do Caravan quests start being considered "high rank"? Is it 7 stars? I'm sitting in 5 star quests right now.

I'm thinking about an intermediate armor set to get me into high rank. I've been using Low rank lvl 3 Tetsu as a good all around set so far, but I'll likely need to change it up soon.

Yeah, it's 7*. Tetsu armor can get you to high rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom