• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Hi, all. I am new here and have been in the dark about the game.

I checked the OP but could not find the answer to my first question.

I had heard that items and some progress would not crossover between offline and online modes. Can someone clarify this for me? After hours spent on MH3U, I would find this surprising but wanted to make sure.

Also, for anyone over the age of 30 (apologies to my younger friends here), please my FC:

1521-5742-2572

Not sure 100% but your progress in terms of the Caravan stuff does not count online. When you go online, you have to start right at the beggining doing all the boring quests and increase your Hunter Rank (HR)

If you play the Caravan SOlo stuff, the gear you make will help in those early Online quests. Much quicker to also join in with other peopel to play.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
When do Caravan quests start being considered "high rank"? Is it 7 stars? I'm sitting in 5 star quests right now.

I'm thinking about an intermediate armor set to get me into high rank. I've been using Low rank lvl 3 Tetsu as a good all around set so far, but I'll likely need to change it up soon.

7 star quests are high rank, and some of the 6 star quests are also high rank.

Mupod

I had heard that items and some progress would not crossover between offline and online modes. Can someone clarify this for me? After hours spent on MH3U, I would find this surprising but wanted to make sure.

I don't know where you heard that but it's wrong.

The gathering hall is separate from caravan regarding progress, as it has its own quests that need to be cleared to rank up. But it's still the same character and gear, it works exactly the same as it did in 3U. You'll need to do both if you want to unlock some essential upgrades like food, Wystones etc.

Raide

If someone sends me a quest, can I level it too or can I only level my own?

Well, you share the quest. It means you can get access to certain monsters but they are usually gated a little bit. The level of the quests are linked to the Low Rank, High Rank and G stuff, so I don't think people can share a HR quests with a lower rank. Not 100% sure though!

If you get shared a quest, its yours to play as you wish.

Ricky 7

What weapon did you use? I took him down in 15 with the sentinel blade CB.
I used that Seregios IG, I forgot to bring dung bombs and he kept eating me. I didn't know he had that new move, touching any part of his body lead to him doing that eating move, even if his tail touched me he'd knocked me on the ground then start eating me. >_<

Sifl

Well, you share the quest. It means you can get access to certain monsters but they are usually gated a little bit. The level of the quests are linked to the Low Rank, High Rank and G stuff, so I don't think people can share a HR quests with a lower rank. Not 100% sure though!

If you get shared a quest, its yours to play as you wish.
Alright, thanks again for the info.

Iceman829

Right at the start, you have loads of Weapon Training quests to play with all of the weapons.

Charge Blade seems really damn good but takes a while to master. Same with the BugStaff. Nice new additions to the already heafy roster.

I also got the N3DS XL and the extra screen space is nice. Getting use to the controls can take a little while, espeically since you can get some hand cramps if you're not use to using a handheld

There is a gift available for new users, so don't forget to check out teh process as you start and get your free stuff. Lots of early materials and items to help out.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to check out everything you mentioned. I'm hoping my hand doesn't cramp like it would with the original 3ds I have. I only have the choice of the xl here in the US, but I saw the screen in the store and liked how big it was. Now I can't wait to start hunting.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've decided to main Hunting Horn, as I did in MH3U. The call of the electric guitar is too strong. I figure SP should be fine with it, despite it not being as useful as it is in MP.

I'm rocking the (spider boss) IG at the moment, so I'm waiting until I can craft a better Hunting Horn to switch over. What's a good Hunting Horn to go with at this point?

Raide

Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to check out everything you mentioned. I'm hoping my hand doesn't cramp like it would with the original 3ds I have. I only have the choice of the xl here in the US, but I saw the screen in the store and liked how big it was. Now I can't wait to start hunting.

I have never had a DS, so this was a jump for me and it took a few sessions and the cramp went away. Just make sure you have a tweak with the in-game options to get it the way you like.

Also, for anyone over the age of 30 (apologies to my younger friends here), please my FC:

1521-5742-2572

Its essentially setup the same as MH3U man

There is no separation character wise. But Progress in the Guild Hall is independent from the Caravan... at least until you near the end of the Caravan main story

Iceman829

When you get the game, you should definitely go talk to the housecat to download the free starter's kit DLC which gives you a lot of supply items from the get-go. Doing the offline quests will help upgrade the mechanic that allows you to "farm" raw materials, but you can always stagger back and forth between offline and online if you want to (some upgrades are going to be only from guild hall quests anyway). Offline is not devoid of content.

That's nice to hear they give you a supply drop to start with now. The worst part was always the slow start before all the fun stuff. I liked using the farm in 3 or 3u. I seemed to have an unlimited supply of items.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I feel like you guys would appreciate this more than any other thread at the moment...

zroHbjl.jpg

PrankT

I've decided to main Hunting Horn, as I did in MH3U. The call of the electric guitar is too strong. I figure SP should be fine with it, despite it not being as useful as it is in MP.

I'm rocking the (spider boss) IG at the moment, so I'm waiting until I can craft a better Hunting Horn to switch over. What's a good Hunting Horn to go with at this point?

No clue what point your at, but the earliest horn that I thought was great is the Master Bagpipe. It has Attack Up L, Defense Up L, wind pressure negate, and health. I love Attack Up L, but am using the Akantor horn right now because it looks awesome (this horn only has Attack Up S).

Insect glaive has definitely replaced longsword as the weapon I least like to see other party members using. So many terrible people using that in co op. Just did a hunt with three glaive hunters, all of which spent the entire time vaulting to try and mount the monster. I think it was maybe 1 in 5 tries that one of them landed it, but none of them knew how to press R to hold on, and sometimes they would continue to vault at it even when one of them was mounted.

Successful topples? Zero! Number of kinsect buffs between the three? Zero! Zinogre tails cut? Zero!

I want to believe there are some ace insect glaive users out there; GAF please regale me with tales and restore my faith in the weapon!
This is my first Monster Hunter game, I main Insect glaive, and I'd like to think I am pretty damn good at using it. I always grab red/white buffs right away, orange if the monster hits really hard. And I only try to mount once in a while. And I know how to hang on, I rarely ever get tossed off :p

I am not super far yet, but I beat Gore Magala solo in caravan with relative ease, so I must be doing something right.

So, a buddy of mine that is just getting into MoHun is making decent progress, but certain things seem to elude him. Mainly the Wycoon, for now.

He says he has looked everywhere, talked to everyone, but the Wycoon still will not let him trade for goods. I believe he is around 2* caravan quests. It's "so long ago" for me that I can't remember what needs to be done...can anyone remember any section of the game like this? I looked at his game the other day, and couldn't find anything, but it was a fairly quick glance.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Kinsei

Banned
Made a room to give out Ruby

47-2318-2899-4559
Password: 8825

I love that you make it sound like this monster is everyday business for you. I'm not even sure if I'll reach this point of the game anytime soon. lol

I've been fighting her since Monster Hunter Freedom. It is pretty much everyday business for me.

Tom_Cody

So, a buddy of mine that is just getting into MoHun is making decent progress, but certain things seem to elude him. Mainly the Wycoon, for now.

He says he has looked everywhere, talked to everyone, but the Wycoon still will not let him trade for goods. I believe he is around 2* caravan quests. It's "so long ago" for me that I can't remember what needs to be done...can anyone remember any section of the game like this? I looked at his game the other day, and couldn't find anything, but it was a fairly quick glance.

You get him at a specific point towards the end of Val Harbor. I don't remember the exact mission that triggers it though.

Raide

Caravan 3* and I think its the Swing Into Action quest. Hunting a Kecha Wacha.

You get him at a specific point towards the end of Val Harbor. I don't remember the exact mission that triggers it though.
Caravan 3* and I think its the Swing Into Action quest. Hunting a Kecha Wacha.
Cool beans, thanks. That's what I thought, that he just needed to keep on going. He is at the Gore fight now, I think the repel one though (first one). I'll tell him to soldier on through.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I have to admit, I'm getting the E. Conga set for fashion hunter reasons. But I want to at least try to use something with it to take advantage of the Bombadier skill on it. The Gunlance's Wyvern Fire counts as blast damage, right? What else does (besides bombs)?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I have to admit, I'm getting the E. Conga set for fashion hunter reasons. But I want to at least try to use something with it to take advantage of the Bombadier skill on it. The Gunlance's Wyvern Fire counts as blast damage, right? What else does (besides bombs)?

Rhopessa Armor fashion hunt <3

tuffy

I presume blast element weapons still benefit from Bombardier since Brachy's armor sets also come with it standard.

blackflag

If you're farming azure rathalos

Break face, break back, cut tail, loot shinies and capture.

You'll be guaranteed a ruby in 10 hunts at worst.

I got bad luck man, I do all that except tail since I'm using a hammer. I cut his tail for awhile until I got enough of those but I kill him in less than half the time with my hammer and it's easier to break everything else.

Just bad luck I guess.

Kinsei

Banned
In my quest to get two pieces of yoldspar ore I ended up getting two rare worn weapons ^_^.

I now have
  1. Rusted Sword
  2. Worn Sword
  3. Worn Hammer
  4. Worn Spear
  5. Worn Gunlance
  6. Worn Switch Axe
  7. God's Isle

Mupod

I've got 3 worn switchaxes and nothing else. I almost want to pick up SA out of spite.

Actually it seems like SA has gone extinct online. I'm seeing more gunners and SnS users, even.

Anyone up for some High Rank stuff? I honestly couldn't care less what we do. I got sent home from work early today due to crappy weather conditions, so I have time to burn. Just hit HR5, btw.

tuffy

Anyone up for some High Rank stuff? I honestly couldn't care less what we do. I got sent home from work early today due to crappy weather conditions, so I have time to burn. Just hit HR5, btw.
Though my high rank gear is still in an unfortunate state, I should be able to lend a hand in a couple of hours from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom