• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks guys - the trap suggestion worked. Only took a few moments after trapping him and smashing his head with my hammer to get him weak enough to go sleep so I could catch him. Just a LOT of bullshit to deal with in that fight.

Tenbatsu

I dont have a new 3ds so obviously I've been using the digital dpad but oh my god I never realized you could resize the digital dpad to a size where it was actually usable!!

This is so much better.
Make it as narrow as possible and stretch it all the way to the bottom. Works even better.
Aq05j.jpg

Above image is for MH3G.

_Isaac

This game actually isn't all that suited for portables. You can't just pick it up and play it for 15 minutes at a time because everything takes forever. I remember I used to be able to play a level or two of Mario 3d Land on my fifteen minute breaks at work, but that's really difficult with this game. It doesn't quite lend itself to that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This game actually isn't all that suited for portables. You can't just pick it up and play it for 15 minutes at a time because everything takes forever. I remember I used to be able to play a level or two of Mario 3d Land on my fifteen minute breaks at work, but that's really difficult with this game. It doesn't quite lend itself to that.

A single hunt doesn't take more than 20 minutes.

burgerdog

It's perfect as a portable when you're home. Frees up my tv so I can watch(lol) tv shows or sports. The offtv play hit so late or I would've played 3U a lot more.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Plus suspend/resume works great in single player.

Cerity

In terms of how long it takes, the game has been massively improved from the PSP games. If you're good you can wrap up hunts in <15 minutes, 25-30 maybe if you haven't fought said monster before.

On the PSP games, I remember timing out was a common occurrence, which means the whole 45-50 minutes.

You can pause in single player, and if your hunts take longer than 20 minutes you might need to reevaluate your strategies or upgrade your gear.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I actually made mine as big as I could when I was using it hah.

Make it as narrow as possible and stretch it all the way to the bottom.

I made mine as tiny as possible and put it in a position where the tip of my thumb could easily travel to. The idea behind mine is that it's almost like a nub, i can just kind of put my thumb over it and roll it in the direction I want the camera to move.

Leezard

Any tips on soloing Gore Magala? He's been enraged for the past 10 minutes. I can't get close to him and it's starting to get un-fun.

When his feelers/horns get out, you need to deal damage onto Gore (anywhere) until his feelers start to shift between white and their original color. In this state, a single attack to his feelers will break him out of the enraged state.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
All my hunts are usually 15 min at most... so it's perfect to me!

DooD1234

Question, one of the guild rank 4 quest has a delivery quest (the egg delivery kind I think) has a drink ingredient upgrade that I want to do. The sub quest suggest there deviljho chilling around there. Possible to do solo and is the shortest road back going to get blocked? Or should I just get help?

jorgejjvr

Alright looney that's it for me for Tonight! Sorry about that random death, I got carried away, didn't want to use potions lol xD and man I'm tired/sleepy, great hunts!

Those were fun!!!

Question, one of the guild rank 4 quest has a delivery quest (the egg delivery kind I think) has a drink ingredient upgrade that I want to do. The sub quest suggest there deviljho chilling around there. Possible to do solo and is the shortest road back going to get blocked? Or should I just get help?
Gotta fight the jho. I know I'm sorta ready for him (lol)

VandalD

Alright looney that's it for me for Tonight! Sorry about that random death, I got carried away, didn't want to use potions lol xD and man I'm tired/sleepy, great hunts!
Not a big deal at all. You were a huge help! Thank you!

And now I'll try Brachydios alone unless someone joins. He destroyed me repeatedly in 3U. So this should be fun. At least it won't be the frenzy one from caravan.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Very possible to solo, as I did; you should be able to get half the deliveries before Jho comes in. Paint it, run away and just wait for an opportunity

Of course getting more people is better..

What error code do you get?
Error code 006-0612. Ive tried multiple routers at my house and keep getting that code. I use the same router at work, with a different internet provider and it works just fine. I only get that code at my house. Also, I can play every other online 3DS game just fine. I only get that when trying to connect to a gathering hall or when someone tries to join me.

Kyzon

And now I'll try Brachydios alone unless someone joins. He destroyed me repeatedly in 3U. So this should be fun. At least it won't be the frenzy one from caravan.

I'm gonna run to grab a burrito. If you're still on in half an hour I'll come give ya a hand :)

It's my first time playing the series, and all my hunts I finish like five minutes before time runs out.
I recommend watching some tutorials and learning your weapon in the training missions. Maybe there's another weapon that you will find you're more effective with.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's my first time playing the series, and all my hunts I finish like five minutes before time runs out.

Either you aren't being aggressive enough or your gear needs serious upgrading. I'd look into the latter first as it's an easy fix.

I just figured this out about the insect glaive, dunno how useful it is to people. If you mark a part of a monster for your bug and are wondering why the hell your insect won't sap that colour juice, the reason is because it strictly travels in straight lines and will most likely miss since the monster is moving. What you gotta do is send it out, if it doesn't get what you want send it out again without calling it back. It'll use it's new location as its origin and then aim for the marked position. Might take a few attempts but eventually it should get what you wanted.

rpmurphy

How do I farm whet fish, or any fish for that matter. Is it at the felyne camp thing at the ballista gun?
Yeah, you can get a lot of whetfish if you bait and catch with a Palico with the S. Goldenfish fishing skill. Add on top of that Handsome Haul (to haul all three fish schools) and two Meownster Fishermyans, and you should be reeling in a lot of whetfish.

Cerity

How do I farm whet fish, or any fish for that matter. Is it at the felyne camp thing at the ballista gun?

If you look in water/streams in certain areas of the maps there'll be fish you can catch. I'm pretty sure you don't have to bring bait but I'd bring goldenfish bait anyway as it 'resets' the fishing point.

Had to sit through fishing for a few ancientfish and speartuna yesterday, goldenfish bait saving my sanity.

Kyzon

Still on? If so, what's the room number?

_Isaac

I recommend watching some tutorials and learning your weapon in the training missions. Maybe there's another weapon that you will find you're more effective with.

Maybe you're right. I've been practicing since the demo came out. I've been using the charge blade a lot.

Either you aren't being aggressive enough or your gear needs serious upgrading. I'd look into the latter first as it's an easy fix.

I haven't really been able to upgrade anything significantly, I keep collecting stuff, but it leads to such small upgrades that I don't notice any differences at all. Maybe I am not aggressive enough. I tend to play games at a very slow pace. I'm five hours in, and I've barely defeated that Jaggi thing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe you're right. I've been practicing since the demo came out. I've been using the charge blade a lot.

I haven't really been able to upgrade anything significantly, I keep collecting stuff, but it leads to such small upgrades that I don't notice any differences at all. Maybe I am not aggressive enough. I tend to play games at a very slow pace. I'm five hours in, and I've barely defeated that Jaggi thing.

If you haven't killed Great Jaggi yet then there's not much upgrading you can do. I think you can get like one or two weapon upgrades and that's it.

I'd say try a new weapon, Charge Blade can be a really annoying thing to learn.

Pejo

Any tips on soloing Gore Magala? He's been enraged for the past 10 minutes. I can't get close to him and it's starting to get un-fun.

Also, if you have ANY experience whatsoever with Lance/Gunlance, use that for solo Gore. Letting him basically come to you the whole fight makes it so easy, and shielded jabs at his head knocks him out of frenzy mode so fast. That's how I did it until I "got gud" with charge blade.

Oh my god. I just got the best fucking talisman in my last quest. +5 guard with 3 slots. I can slot in enough artillery gems on a high rank Hermitaur set to get Artillery God. I have become one with the gunlance.

zlCfzTE71Xgkt30NSY

Ken

Yeah, you can get a lot of whetfish if you bait and catch with a Palico with the S. Goldenfish fishing skill. Add on top of that Handsome Haul (to haul all three fish schools) and two Meownster Fishermyans, and you should be reeling in a lot of whetfish.

If you look in water/streams in certain areas of the maps there'll be fish you can catch. I'm pretty sure you don't have to bring bait but I'd bring goldenfish bait anyway as it 'resets' the fishing point.

Had to sit through fishing for a few ancientfish and speartuna yesterday, goldenfish bait saving my sanity.

Thanks. Guess I need to expand snug snug island since I'm at cap.

Anyone want to join me for HR key quests? HR2 at the moment.

Gathering Hall ID: 55-6027-2035-9566

Agenda:
-Rathian (Royal assassination)
-Gore Magala (Dark Wings, Dark Work urgent quest)

HR3
-Seltas Queen (Royal Guard)
-Tigrex (Tigrex Tough Love)
-Gravios (Temper Tantrum)
-Rathalos capture (Royal Audience)
-Zinogre (Tuff Turf)

upandaway

Yeah I think I'm giving up on the Insect Glaive, I don't think I "get" it. I can't nail any buffs consistently at all, if I try going for red+white, by the time I got one the other starts blinking. And when I do get them both by some miracle, I don't feel like I'm doing that much more damage to be worth it (no flinches or anything).

Still haven't failed a quest though I did die 3 times on an expedition, haha.

Seil

Yeah I think I'm giving up on the Insect Glaive, I don't think I "get" it. I can't nail any buffs consistently at all, if I try going for red+white, by the time I got one the other starts blinking. And when I do get them both by some miracle, I don't feel like I'm doing that much more damage to be worth it (no flinches or anything).

Still haven't failed a quest though I did die 3 times on an expedition, haha.

Hrm. Red and white should generally be easy to acquire. You're not marking are you? If so, try to not. Get close, turn to the head, R+X > R+A as soon as it gets it, move to the legs or wings if they're white, repeat.

Orange is usually the harder option, but it's not as important. It's extremely nice when you can get it though.

You should be seeing a 20% or so increase in your attack power with Red + White, plus red changes up your attacks drastically increasing your damage output.

That said, some weapons just don't click depending on playstyle. Always best to find a weapon that feels right for you.

Madouu

Fire resist food helps

Yeah I'm not marking. I think I need to see some high level videos of it or something because yesterday I was doing the Kecha Wacha arena with my friend like 10 times with the IG, trying to get S-Rank, and some rounds I just practiced the red+white the whole time, but closest we came was 5 minutes (S is 4).

You probably want to get the three buffs at once, they're not too hard to grab from kecha. Giving speed nectar to your bug is what helps a lot with getting the essences because the basic bug is painfully slow.

upandaway

Hrm. Red and white should generally be easy to acquire. You're not marking are you? If so, try to not. Get close, turn to the head, R+X > R+A as soon as it gets it, move to the legs or wings if they're white, repeat.

Orange is usually the harder option, but it's not as important. It's extremely nice when you can get it though.

You should be seeing a 20% or so increase in your attack power with Red + White, plus red changes up your attacks drastically increasing your damage output.

That said, some weapons just don't click depending on playstyle. Always best to find a weapon that feels right for you.
Yeah I'm not marking. I think I need to see some high level videos of it or something because yesterday I was doing the Kecha Wacha arena with my friend like 10 times with the IG, trying to get S-Rank, and some rounds I just practiced the red+white the whole time, but closest we came was 5 minutes (S is 4).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom