• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to take a break. That HR3 urgent quest was very tedious and annoying. What were they thinking?

Daren Mohran?

Dude he is so much easier than any massive monster quest that game before him.

Not to mention the quest can be completed faster than any previous incarnations. It does benefit you to have knowledge of the mechanics of the fight but it is a much simpler encounter than Jhen Mohran from 3U

And WAY less tedious than Yamasukami, Shen Gaoren and Lao Shun (forced 30 minute fight regardless of performance!!)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a good and informative (and entertaining) Youtube channel to motivate and inform myself about the game a bit? Something along the line of what Vaati/ENB/etc is for the Souls series, if that rings a bell?

Good god, the infected Tigrex and Brute Tigrex caravan mission. Was doing ok fighting the normal Tigrex, popped the Wystone and was about to remove the virus then the Brute one shows up. This all happened in the space of 5 seconds.

> Brute Tigrex lands on map
> Original Tigrex charges
> Brute Tigrex roars
> Original Tigrex knocks me down
> While I'm down I switch to dung bombs in inventory like it even matters
> I get up
> Original Tigrex is running around still doing derp charge
> Brute Tigrex shoots volley of purple balls
> Murder

Okay need some guidance here.

I've never gunned before, and I'm pretty much exclusively playing solo. I got the itch to try it but didn't quite want to build a set, so I went into the arena, specifically Deviljho since I need the coins.

I'm not gonna list off the exact gear, but it's an LBG and they give you Para shot and a bunch of explosive stuff, the gun can rapid fire one type of crag and the armor has bombardier. So I go in at first just to mess around and pretty much just shoot him in the face a bunch with the normal shot.

I get the hang of the controls and end up landing more good shots then I thought I would, and I feel like I'm doing pretty well, except the Jho just isn't dieing. I eventually run out of time despite hitting in the head a bunch with the normal.

So then I think I'm approaching it the wrong way. I start off the next attempt with a para, and rapid fire the crag shots at his face for a KO. A few attempts later I work in the Clust shots when he's down for the KO. Still running out of time.

So I'm ready to think this gun they give you is just garbage (I have no frame of reference) but it must be possible so I kept at it all night. This last attempt I got 2(!) KOs with the crag shots they give me (it took every single one), because of those KOs land pretty much perfect Clust shots to the head, and then start the circle dance pumping him full of Normals after that. I'm sure I'm not the best, but it feels like I'm landing tons of headshots and shooting pretty much as many times as I can before evading. Get through all the Normal 3 and two stacks of Normal 2s.

I end up killing him with a Normal 1 to the face with 20 seconds remaining in the quest.

Now, is this indicative of LBG kill times or is this setup for the Jho just bad? I imagine an elemental setup would do much better? I had a ton of fun doing it but it was a bitch and now I'm not sure I really want to solo gun if a high rank arena Deviljho gives me this much trouble. Are bows better?

Nopren

If I were to make the Ludroth armor would it then have it's Water attack Up as a useless skill, or have they added something else to it instead?

tuffy

Now, is this indicative of LBG kill times or is this setup for the Jho just bad? I imagine an elemental setup would do much better? I had a ton of fun doing it but it was a bitch and now I'm not sure I really want to solo gun if a high rank arena Deviljho gives me this much trouble. Are bows better?
Arena quests are balanced for two people, aren't they? In any case, that's a pretty funky setup (which is also an Arena quest tradition, it seems) that appears more balanced for support duty. If this were an actual Deviljho hunt, a rapid-fire thunder shot gun would be more appropriate along with ammo combines. I was farming Gravioses in the hunt-a-thon just yesterday with a fairly crummy water shot LBG and getting ~5 minute times on each, so I don't think the weapon class itself has any problems.

Mupod

Do elder dragons (specifically Kushala and Teo) need to be below a certain health threshold to break their horns? I remember something like that in the older games...maybe it was tails?

Anyways I need another Kushala kill to upgrade my HBG but his wind reflecting my bullets is a pain in the ass. Breaking his head tones it down, but by the time you get that done the fight's almost over. And poison barely brings the shield down long enough to do anything.

Tom_Cody

Question for bow users:
How do you balance your use of Power-shot bows versus Arc-shot bows? Do you switch back and forth or do you stick with one style?

I had become accustomed to the power-shot bow in the demo (Seregios), and then I got used to arc-shot bows at the start of the full game, and now I have finally crafted my first power-shot bow in the full game and I'm being drawn back.

As far as Arc-shot bows: I like that the arc shot gives you the option to hit a closer critical distance or land a volley from a great distance. Its nice to have that option since so many monsters switch up their attack patterns over the course of a fight. I also like the KO/Exhaust damage that arc-shots do. In general it is certainly easier to manage stamina with arc-shot bows, which leads to a much more forgiving tempo of charging → setting your position → and then aiming and firing.

As far as Power-shot bows: The pure DPS potential is greater due being able to chain the power shot directly after a normal shot. This is appealing when you simply want to inject damage into a monster whose movements you have mastered but, since I have been re-introduced to the power-shot in the main game, I just haven't been feeling the tempo of power-shot gameplay. Managing stamina is obviously a lot more difficult with them, and I'm not sure if it is simply a matter of me needing to "git gud" or if preferring arc-shot bows is a valid preference.

Koeta

I just hit 8 star town quests and I'm having a bit of a rough time dealing with these, I'm using most of the Tetsucabra set for it's Def/HP boost, upgraded to level 8 but I think it might be time to switch sets I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choices not sure where to go from here.

pluSD4E.jpg

Any suggestions on which set I should focus on next?

VandalD

Question for bow users
I just pick a bow that has the elemental weakness of what I'm fighting. I tend to prefer pierce. With spread you have to get so close that you might as well melee. Rapid is decent but it doesn't have the range that I like. It's good for breaking a very specific part of the body, but pierce works too.

I haven't found a use for arc shot. It's too difficult to line up against the medium-sized faster monsters, and against the huge ones like Gravios, the arc shot doesn't even seem like it has a chance to detonate. It just hits their back and fizzles out. Also, ceilings can be quite low in this game compared to MH3, and your arc shot can just end up hitting the ceiling and doing nothing. Power is almost certainly the way to go because of the reasons you stated, and on top of that you can negate the stamina usage with dash juice (or with a Hunting Horn player with Negate Stamina). While I liked using arc shot in MH3, I don't use it at all in 4U.

Anura

Do elder dragons (specifically Kushala and Teo) need to be below a certain health threshold to break their horns? I remember something like that in the older games...maybe it was tails?

Anyways I need another Kushala kill to upgrade my HBG but his wind reflecting my bullets is a pain in the ass. Breaking his head tones it down, but by the time you get that done the fight's almost over. And poison barely brings the shield down long enough to do anything.

Yeah, tails too.

noomi

Tried the demo yesterday... this was my first time ever playing monster hunter... I was so lost guys, I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Everything seemed so overwhelming :(

Qurupeke

If anyone minds helping me with some annoying gathering and transporting HR5 quests, this is the place for you:

16-6559-5706-7392

Once we're done, we can do various other quests.

Mupod

Okay need some guidance here.

I've never gunned before, and I'm pretty much exclusively playing solo. I got the itch to try it but didn't quite want to build a set, so I went into the arena, specifically Deviljho since I need the coins.

I'm not gonna list off the exact gear, but it's an LBG and they give you Para shot and a bunch of explosive stuff, the gun can rapid fire one type of crag and the armor has bombardier. So I go in at first just to mess around and pretty much just shoot him in the face a bunch with the normal shot.

I get the hang of the controls and end up landing more good shots then I thought I would, and I feel like I'm doing pretty well, except the Jho just isn't dieing. I eventually run out of time despite hitting in the head a bunch with the normal.

So then I think I'm approaching it the wrong way. I start off the next attempt with a para, and rapid fire the crag shots at his face for a KO. A few attempts later I work in the Clust shots when he's down for the KO. Still running out of time.

So I'm ready to think this gun they give you is just garbage (I have no frame of reference) but it must be possible so I kept at it all night. This last attempt I got 2(!) KOs with the crag shots they give me (it took every single one), because of those KOs land pretty much perfect Clust shots to the head, and then start the circle dance pumping him full of Normals after that. I'm sure I'm not the best, but it feels like I'm landing tons of headshots and shooting pretty much as many times as I can before evading. Get through all the Normal 3 and two stacks of Normal 2s.

I end up killing him with a Normal 1 to the face with 20 seconds remaining in the quest.

1. Joe's face is only weak when he's not enraged. When in rage mode you want to aim at the body - I find pierce works well on him if you've got it.

2. Bowguns are all about getting the correct range. Watch Gaijin Hunter's videos if you haven't - but the general rule for normal 2 is to be pretty damn close. Normal 3 has a little more range. You can tell if you're in the right range by the 'screen shake' effect.

3. Remember that Crag/Clust do fixed damage like a bomb would. If you're getting KOs you're probably landing the hits which is fine, but keep that in mind. Do they give you extra combination materials for that quest? A big part of gunning is combining mid-quest for more of your stronger ammo. Arena armor sets frequently have a 'playstyle' they are intended for and if you've got a rapid crag bowgun with bombardier they obviously want you to be shooting crag.

4. Those arena monsters have a decent pile of HP. As mentioned above they are tuned for 2 people.

Anyways it sounds like you learned a lot and have the mechanics down. But bowguns are all about preparation and understanding how your ammo works. Mazereon's old 3U bowgunning FAQ is still pretty applicable.

Mupod

I just hit 8 star town quests and I'm having a bit of a rough time dealing with these, I'm using most of the Tetsucabra set for it's Def/HP boost, upgraded to level 8 but I think it might be time to switch sets I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choices not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions on which set I should focus on next?

You're using that low rank crap in 8*? If you beat Monoblos with that you're probably going to do fine once you have rank-appropriate gear. I started high rank off by farming the dual Velocidrome quest it gives you - took maybe 20 minutes to make the gear and it kept me going until I started farming Azure Rathalos. Upgrade that weapon too, looks like it's made out of Nerscylla stuff?

You could just go get high rank Tetsucabra gear instead, but personally I'm not a fan of hp boost armor skills. Your food should be upgraded so you get +50 health from that every quest - if you haven't, get those food upgrades done. Sure, the armor skill persists after dying, but that's treating a problem that you can fix in other ways. I bring max/ancient potions to max out my health in case I do cart.

Kensuke

Anyone want to break some Rajang horns? I need them for my new gunner set. We can do some other stuff in-between, I have some pretty cool guild quests.

23-2014-8723-2586
Pass: 1471

TheExodu5

Banned
Still rocking chainmail. Just HR2 online. Haven't had too much of an issue with bosses so far...been able to take on Nerscylla and even Gore Magala (though that one was pretty tough as I get 2 shot by it). I'm using the Hunting Horn.

I started building a Nerscylla set. Think that's good enough for low rank stuff? Will the slots allow me to add a HH buff duration skill to my armor set?

Shengar

Anyone want to break some Rajang horns? I need them for my new gunner set. We can do some other stuff in-between, I have some pretty cool guild quests.

23-2014-8723-2586

I just see the room and the quest type is Guild Quest 126++
Can my Regios X set do this? I might be one shotted by its punch lol

Pila

Tried the demo yesterday... this was my first time ever playing monster hunter... I was so lost guys, I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Everything seemed so overwhelming :(

Try playing the same weapon for a while, I think it's too much stuff trying them all when you're learning basics about the game.

We're here to help :) shoot questions!

23-2014-8723-2586

Interested in the guild quests. Dont know if I will be able to handle the Rajang lol.

Reknoc

Still rocking chainmail. Just HR2 online. Haven't had too much of an issue with bosses so far...been able to take on Nerscylla and even Gore Magala (though that one was pretty tough as I get 2 shot by it). I'm using the Hunting Horn.

I started building a Nerscylla set. Think that's good enough for low rank stuff? Will the slots allow me to add a HH buff duration skill to my armor set?

Dunno how good the set is, by itself it has just enough to hold the 5 decorations you need, but you need one in your weapon or talisman to slot out the -hunger.

Koeta

You're using that low rank crap in 8*? If you beat Monoblos with that you're probably going to do fine once you have rank-appropriate gear. I started high rank off by farming the dual Velocidrome quest it gives you - took maybe 20 minutes to make the gear and it kept me going until I started farming Azure Rathalos. Upgrade that weapon too, looks like it's made out of Nerscylla stuff?

You could just go get high rank Tetsucabra gear instead, but personally I'm not a fan of hp boost armor skills. Your food should be upgraded so you get +50 health from that every quest - if you haven't, get those food upgrades done. Sure, the armor skill persists after dying, but that's treating a problem that you can fix in other ways. I bring max/ancient potions to max out my health in case I do cart.

yeah I beat Monoblos with this set, I was thinking of changing the set from hp since the cap is 150 and with food I'm going over that anyway, I'll check out Velocidrome thanks for the tip.

Oh yeah it can be pretty overwhelming the first time. I remember my first time with portable 2 like it was yesterday. Don't give up yet.

Watch some videos explaining the mechanics etc. Once you understand the basics, the game can be pretty rewarding.

I'll recommend the bone armor for low rank HH.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey, I don't believe I've posted on this thread before.

I am, a, let's say... fledging hunter.

This is the first MH game I play - although not the firs I buy! I bought the Wii MH and as soon as I inserted it into the console, my Wii's disc drive failed.

Anyways, I'm up to caravan 5, and Shagaru Magala just ate my ass for breakfast. I'm using a full set of Cenataur armor and for weapon the Lieutenant's Aikuchi.

Question for bow users:
How do you balance your use of Power-shot bows versus Arc-shot bows? Do you switch back and forth or do you stick with one style?

I had become accustomed to the power-shot bow in the demo (Seregios), and then I got used to arc-shot bows at the start of the full game, and now I have finally crafted my first power-shot bow in the full game and I'm being drawn back.

As far as Arc-shot bows: I like that the arc shot gives you the option to hit a closer critical distance or land a volley from a great distance. Its nice to have that option since so many monsters switch up their attack patterns over the course of a fight. I also like the KO/Exhaust damage that arc-shots do. In general it is certainly easier to manage stamina with arc-shot bows, which leads to a much more forgiving tempo of charging → setting your position → and then aiming and firing.

As far as Power-shot bows: The pure DPS potential is greater due being able to chain the power shot directly after a normal shot. This is appealing when you simply want to inject damage into a monster whose movements you have mastered but, since I have been re-introduced to the power-shot in the main game, I just haven't been feeling the tempo of power-shot gameplay. Managing stamina is obviously a lot more difficult with them, and I'm not sure if it is simply a matter of me needing to "git gud" or if preferring arc-shot bows is a valid preference.

I personally prefer using normal shots the majority of the time. I save arc shots for oppurtunities to score damage on a far away monster (as opposed to constantly chasing it) since its too dangerous to use up close

Same applies to Power Shots. They are excellent but a huge drain on stamina and extend the animation. They create bad habits since you tend to get a little zealous and greedy trying to push up the dps.

I think both are good (though arc shots seem a bit weaker this time around) I just need to adjust my habits so that I am not taking more hits than i should be.

I dunno if I can stress this enough but.... MH is a game that really benefits by playing with a friend familiar with it.

It really does need that Sheparding experience. It makes the transition so much easier because the depth of this game can swallow people whole..

Lunar15

Just got into high level quests and made my initial set of high level armor (just jaggi for now until I get to better monsters), but jesus christ: Emerald Congalala is wrecking my shit. Even with two other friends. I've been face stomping everything else up until this point, even other high level quests. I just feel embarrassed and confused.

_Isaac

Another thing I noticed that makes me take long is that I can never find what I am meant to find. "Bring me two Gargwa eggs"
Well what the heck is a Gargwa and since when did they start laying eggs? It took me twenty something minutes to finish that one.

Another thing I noticed that makes me take long is that I can never find what I am meant to find. "Bring me two Gargwa eggs"
Well what the heck is a Gargwa and since when did they start laying eggs? It took me twenty something minutes to finish that one.

But there is an ingame video popping up once you find the monster you're searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom