• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
So, I don't mean to sound bitchy, but when does this game get fun?

Three hours in and all I'm doing is gathering plants and killing fodder animals. It's incredibly boring. I'm just blindly running around killing things with a packed inventory until I stimble upon what I'm supposed to kill. I just did this horn quest where I had to get three horns. I killed eight of the enemiesbefore one horn even dropped, and that took 20 minutes because I didn't even know if I was killing the right enemy. Only when I got a complete sub quest did I know.

I'm dying of boredom and getting frustrated at the archaic design of a lot of things. When does the game become fun?

Hugstable

Banned

Three hours in and all I'm doing is gathering plants and killing fodder animals. It's incredibly boring. I'm just blindly running around killing things with a packed inventory until I stimble upon what I'm supposed to kill. I just did this horn quest where I had to get three horns. I killed eight of the enemiesbefore one horn even dropped, and that took 20 minutes because I didn't even know if I was killing the right enemy. Only when I got a complete sub quest did I know.

I'm dying of boredom and getting frustrated at the archaic design of a lot of things. When does the game become fun?

3 hours in and you haven't hunted anything big yet? Also you can deposit items in the boxes back in your house if you are full up on stuff.

You are still pretty much in the tutorial though if you are still doing the Kelbi horns. I'm not far yet like that either, but from what I remember of MH3U, once the big fights start up, the game really clicks, and at that point it's pretty much all big fights with a few gather quests sprinkled here and there.

Peru

You don't have to do all of the menial quests or do them in order and if you're three hours in you should've met some of the big boss monsters etc. And when you check quest info during a quest you can find out if you've killed the right monsters, collected the right mushrooms, how many are left etc.

The Large Monster hunts are the best part of the game. Great Jaggi and Seltas are the first two. They are super simple compared to what you'll eventually get to.

The material gathering is core to the gameplay loop, but eventually you start having to grind large monsters to get gear which is more fun. Hang in there!

If you've unlocked the ability to go online, do it. You can just jump into a room and start hunting monsters.

Not all quests are mandatory in order to unlock the hunting ones. I didn't even do that quest to progress, I mainly just picked ones that had me kill big monsters if available, or "..." quests that I got from people.

Fandangox

I heard that blast isn't as good as an alternative weapon with the right element for what you're fighting, but it's still good. If you check out Ping's MH4U Dex, you can see what monsters take high blast damage and how their resistances scale up after each blast. Some of them take a huge 300 per blast.

mmh I think I will go with poison then.

Kinsei

Banned

Go to the shop and buy some the info books. They show you a picture alongside the enemy name so you know what you're looking for.

You start fighting the big stuff in the 2* quests.

aka_bueno

You shouldn't be doing those quests 3 hours in, you actually don't have to do that horn quest. Do the villager quests/requests, and do the expedition quests when you get them, they will advance you to the next village.

I mean, you can do all the fetch and gather quests if you want, but they're mostly just tutorial stuff or to get you exploring a newly unlocked environment. They're not needed to advance.

PKrockin

Sounds like you had a spot of bad luck KOing 8 Kelbis before getting even one Kelbi Horn. It should have a 50% drop rate or more.

But yeah, what aka_bueno said.

Kinsei

Banned
What's the first area that gives you dragonite ore? I thought it would be Primal Forest since that's the one you go to right after the 3* urgent but it seems like I was wrong. I've been using the same CB since the 2* quests and I want an upgrade!

Where do I find ripened mushrooms in the Sulfur Crystal quest?

Let the Altaroth (ants) eat some mushrooms and then kill them. You have a chance of getting on from the shiny.

Leezard

I had forgotten this was getting released.

I bought it by eshop since it was cheaper than my local stores, does anyone know how you get that "bonus 3ds theme" you were supposed to get by buying it on eshop?

Ludovico

Finished the intro and first caravan "quest" earlier today: game is freaking gorgeous.
Please tell me the rest of the maps look this pretty.

How's the jungle/swamp area in this game? I assume there's one....

Kinsei

Banned
Finished the intro and first caravan "quest" earlier today: game is freaking gorgeous.

It's great. It's like a combination of the Great Forest and Swamp from MHFU.

Hellraider

Every single map so far looks freaking amazing. I can't believe they topped gen 3 art direction!

aka_bueno

I agree. Ironically I changed my mind from "this game is a mixed bag and can be ugly at times" while playing the demo on regular 3DS to now really admiring the visuals cause it's SO MUCH IMPROVED on the New3DS.

The monsters look gorgeous with the improved textures (it's a world of difference) they really have a lot of detail. Shadows are smooth and not pixelated either like they were on my old XL. Also, the lighting engine is also much improved from MH3U.

It's a damn pretty game in motion.

Ludovico

Yes! Thanks for the responses, guys.
I'm playing on my N3DSXL, having not played the demo or looking at any pre-release info. Can't wait to dig in and really explore the world.
I was originally hesitant about picking up the new system, but hearing snippets about load times and increased textures pushed me over. So glad I snagged one!

Would anyone like to team up and fight the Seltas? I've already killed it once but would like to farm it so I can make the bow.

ID: 64-1496-9832-4567
Code is 1379

Prototype

I agree. Ironically I changed my mind from "this game is a mixed bag and can be ugly at times" while playing the demo on regular 3DS to now really admiring the visuals cause it's SO MUCH IMPROVED on the New3DS.

The monsters look gorgeous with the improved textures (it's a world of difference) they really have a lot of detail. Shadows are smooth and not pixelated either like they were on my old XL. Also, the lighting engine is also much improved from MH3U.

It's a damn pretty game in motion.

The game looks so much better on the New 3DS it's not even funny.

I also played the demo on the regular XL and don't think much of it, but now have the full game on the New XL and it's crazy how much better everything looks.

Blunoise

So I was playing online with 3 other randoms and destroyed a monster.started carving and it revive back up then died instantly again and gain an additional 3 more carvings.

Either a glitch or that monster didn't want to die and become body parts lol

Beats

I was going to get a n3DS for this game, but I really wanted the non-XL so I just stuck with my old one for now. : (

Hellraider

So I was playing online with 3 other randoms and destroyed a monster.started carving and it revive back up then died instantly again and gain an additional 3 more carvings.

Let me guess, gypceros? :p

Kinsei

Banned

Gypceros will play dead when it's near death in an effort to draw you in and hit you with a really powerful attack.

aka_bueno

That happened to me just now with a Gypceros playing solo, but it was through a Guild Quest or Expedition Quest. I thought I killed it cause it fell over like it died, I carved it once (not a shiny, but an actual carve) and noticed it's crest was blinking faster and faster and then it flashed and got back up and I killed it again after a few more hits and got to carve it 3 more times.

It totally threw me off, was confused. Pretty cool :)

EDIT: Ah you guys explained it, exclusive trait to the Gypceros. Really cool play dead tactic!

Prototype

Upgrading 2 weapons and 4 lines is certainly slowing my progress down, but I like having options. Played thru 3U with one weapon the whole way and having other weapons would have made things easier for sure.

Though, with no water in 4U, my main reason for having another weapon is kind of obsolete.

I've tried to get into MH a couple of times, gave the PSP version a shit and played another one as well. It never clicked, but I feel like giving it one more go. Gonna download the demo for this one and mess around with it, if it clicks I'll buy it.

Question: if I play as a ranged character (bow) is that feasible in this game?

HIR0

Crafted my first set of armor in this game- the alloy amour lol. Feels good.
Just need one more King's Frill to complete the Jaggi armour.

When do new weapons and armour unlock/appear in the Smithy?
I've been out of the loop for Monster Hunter for so long.

Kinsei

Banned
I've tried to get into MH a couple of times, gave the PSP version a shit and played another one as well. It never clicked, but I feel like giving it one more go. Gonna download the demo for this one and mess around with it, if it clicks I'll buy it.

Question: if I play as a ranged character (bow) is that feasible in this game?

It is. Just make sure to learn each charge type and always take coatings.

gogogow

Crafted my first set of armor in this game- the alloy amour lol. Feels good.
Just need one more King's Frill to complete the Jaggi armour.

When do new weapons and armour unlock/appear in the Smithy?
I've been out of the loop for Monster Hunter for so long.

When you have new material.

It is. Just make sure to learn each charge type and always take coatings.

Thanks! Something tells me that I SHOULD be able to get into MH. I got into Ragnarok Odyssey a bit on Vita, so I know it's doable.

Is this MH a good intro to the series? When I played the PSP one I found it rather obtuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom