• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

For once being a fashion hunter pays off. I couldn't figure out how to make a decent pierce hbg set but all I knew is I really liked the look of the silver rathalos gunner hat. So I made it, the silver solvest, and the other 3 slots I made amagi (mohran + accolades). Worked out perfectly, pierce up/evade extender/recoil+1/defense(m). Almost 300 defense as a high rank gunner and don't even have an armortalon yet.

Pooped on savage deviljho with it and my Daora gun but somehow managed to get ZERO fangs or black blood or anything. Guess I forgot to break the face. Oh well. I think I'll fight Teostra offline once then go work on HR7 later today.

la_briola

Wow! All these skills D: Sounds great!

I'm thinking about Evasion and Evasion Extender as a GS user for a while but I never saw the difference between normal evades and skilled evades, is it that much different? What's more useful to hit and roll away safely? Extender or Evade+? I'm finding myself being hit a lot by Pink Ian e.g. after hitting its head and rolling away, there's never enough roll distance to avoid being ran over by her.

You should try it for yourself, I think in your case extender is better.
Gemming it in is very easy once you hit G-rank.

Evasion +1 (or higher) is more for rolling through fast attacks, in my opinion.

Shiina

Imo extender is only useful for positioning and not for actual evasion as it does not increase the iframes at all. What it might be useful for for GS users is rolling after tripping a monster with a charge, but I think a normal roll will usually get you far enough.

Some numbers on evasion+ skills:

Normal roll iframes: 6
Evasion+1 iframes: 10
Evasion+2 iframes: 12
Evasion+3 iframes: 18

PetrCobra

I have a very stupid question: how do I bring my cat with me? I remember an NPC telling me how, but I forgot. :(

at home, go to the board on the back, select deploy/train, and set Deploy for your main cat (if you have more and have set some as 1st stringers, you can also Deploy one more)

Volcynika

Unlocked the high rank quests in single player. Hooray! I probably will go back and try to handle the quests in low rank I haven't attempted, mostly due to the fact there are multiple monsters in some. But I can work to get them pitted against each other.

Mupod

Unlocked the high rank quests in single player. Hooray! I probably will go back and try to handle the quests in low rank I haven't attempted, mostly due to the fact there are multiple monsters in some. But I can work to get them pitted against each other.

those are a lot easier than they look. The monsters have much lower hp, and don't always spawn at the same time. And of course dung bombs to drive one away if they end up in the same zone.

Volcynika

those are a lot easier than they look. The monsters have much lower hp, and don't always spawn at the same time. And of course dung bombs to drive one away if they end up in the same zone.

Ah, thanks for the tip. Sounds manageable then. I actually just added another elemental weapon to my arsenal (the Ursurper's Fangs or whatever), was just working to give myself more options for hunts to take advantage of weaknesses.

Valus

Can someone link to our IRC channel? Need to save it on my laptop.

Also, will be doing a bunch of random HR non-keyquests today for completion purposes as well as the Zelda quests. Let me know if you want to come!

Looking for a G3 lobby in about 20 minutes.

To share a tale of the desire sensor, I fought Gogmazios 4 times with a group of hunters. I got 4 Wartorn Dragonsphires, 2 from tail carves.

Which means I'll never get another Lrg Elder Dragongem.

Is there a smart way to fight Rajang with charge blade? Online is hard to notice but I unlocked the G Furious caravan quest and it's been awful. It moves way too much to use the bursts and I think I only did decent damage when I used shock traps. Couldn't break the horns either. I did get a +6 fast charge two slot talisman from it though

Any tips? I want that Super Saiyan armor brehs

Shiina

Is there a smart way to fight Rajang with charge blade? Online is hard to notice but I unlocked the G Furious caravan quest and it's been awful. It moves way too much to use the bursts and I think I only did decent damage when I used shock traps. Couldn't break the horns either. I did get a +6 fast charge two slot talisman from it though

Try traps, tremor res and a sleep CB (S.Nerscylla, Gog) so you can get some bombs in to break the horns. Rajang seems like a pretty poor fight for CBs.

I need hard horns >.< make a room and I'll join after this chameleos.

-Alternis

33-5996-0394-7261

Gonna help a friend real quick until you join. More people welcome.

Kinsei

Banned

All of it's projectile attacks (Beam, ball, and throwing things) leave it open. Another great time to attack is after it misses it's pin attack. Other than that just hit and run.

Qurupeke

I'll be doing the HR6 Urgent so if anyone wants to help, feel free to come. Also, if there is interest I want to farm for Phosgems.

64-6264-4769-2651 Pass: 8001

I'll lift the password in case I don't manage to find people in GAF.

Try traps, tremor res and a sleep CB (S.Nerscylla, Gog) so you can get some bombs in to break the horns. Rajang seems like a pretty poor fight for CBs.

All of it's projectile attacks (Beam, ball, and throwing things) leave it open. Another great time to attack is after it misses it's pin attack. Other than that just hit and run.

Hit and run it is.

It'd be nice to do the quest online but barely anyone has it. The unlock requirement is absurd.

Bastos

You should try it for yourself, I think in your case extender is better.
Gemming it in is very easy once you hit G-rank.Thanks! I'll check it out.

Evasion +1 (or higher) is more for rolling through fast attacks, in my opinion.

Imo extender is only useful for positioning and not for actual evasion as it does not increase the iframes at all. What it might be useful for for GS users is rolling after tripping a monster with a charge, but I think a normal roll will usually get you far enough.

The problem is that I tend to hit and roll more than timing charge hits on monsters. I don't feel like I have a lot of opportunities to land a charge when playing online since the aggro changes a lot because of the number of players. I havê to get to G Rank so I can start experimenting with more skills.

Maybe Focus will help me land more charges on some faces.

Highwind

What?

Just managed to get this melded:

Sharpness +3
Expert +10
Slots: ZERO

lol. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Don't know what to think/feel right now.

Anura

I don't know it agree with that entirely. Evade dist increases the distance covered when those frames are active and makes it easier to not have your frames run out while a sweeping hit box is still over you.

Shengar

They don't kidding when they said Evasion +3 rbreak the game. It can outlast hipchecks, Blos charge, Tigrex charge, tail swipe or almost anything that I encountered so far. Crazy

Anura

They don't kidding when they said Evasion +3 rbreak the game. It can outlast hipchecks, Blos charge, Tigrex charge, tail swipe or almost anything that I encountered so far. Crazy
Yeah, it's stupid. I'm avoiding it in this playthrough of the game. Although, it was nice in the Japanese version were I soloed everything.

Tried the intermediate demo quest, camera was much more of an issue.

Got him down to what I think would have been the last battle, got flustered as I was running out of time, didn't heal as I thought I was safe with 1/5 of the healthbar full.

Got charged, died, didn't have time to get back to him :(

When you faint, does the moster regenerate health before you meet him again?

First thoughts on Longsword, not a fan. Everything just takes so long. Do you get gear that makes you faster?

OmegaZero

The problem is that I tend to hit and roll more than timing charge hits on monsters. I don't feel like I have a lot of opportunities to land a charge when playing online since the aggro changes a lot because of the number of players. I havê to get to G Rank so I can start experimenting with more skills.

Maybe Focus will help me land more charges on some faces.

I would definitely recommend focus for sure. You suddenly have much more opportunities to land lv3s, and even the occasional lv3 slam -> wide swing combo.
Of course, it will mess with your timing at first (especially if you have a habit of charging lv3s when the monster starts turning toward you).

EDIT: Well if your issue is more about positioning and timing, then I suggest going solo and learning the more obvious tells and openings of monsters, so you can position yourself to get a charge regardless of who the monster is targeting. Focus will help you take advantage of those openings in multiplayer more effectively, but you'll still have times where the only thing you can do is draw-slash -> roll -> sheath. The less predictable monsters become, the less effective GSs are.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
But can you roll through the death lasers?
Tried the intermediate demo quest, camera was much more of an issue.

Got him down to what I think would have been the last battle, got flustered as I was running out of time, didn't heal as I thought I was safe with 1/5 of the healthbar full.

Got charged, died, didn't have time to get back to him :(

When you faint, does the moster regenerate health before you meet him again?

First thoughts on Longsword, not a fan. Everything just takes so long. Do you get gear that makes you faster?
Sadly, you don't get gear that makes you faster. Thats why its so comparable to Dark Souls.

But can you roll through the death lasers?

Sadly, you don't get gear that makes you faster. Thats why its so comparable to Dark Souls.

Shame, thought I'd be a Longsword user, but it is very reminiscent of using the Greatswords in the Souls series. Fun for the power, but too restricting in mobility and attack speed to use as a main. Ah well. Maybe I'll start with S+S while I learn the ropes since that's what I'm used to, and it seems to be a bit jack-of-all-trades.

Do any weapons have unique attacks, or is it all linked to weapon type?

OmegaZero

Shame, thought I'd be a Longsword user, but it is very reminiscent of using the Greatswords in the Souls series. Fun for the power, but too restricting in mobility and attack speed to use as a main. Ah well. Maybe I'll start with S+S while I learn the ropes since that's what I'm used to, and it seems to be a bit jack-of-all-trades.

Do any weapons have unique attacks, or is it all linked to weapon type?

I wouldn't say long sword is restricted in mobility. It's more of a middle ground between the powerful heavy weapons (Great Sword, Hammer), and the faster, weaker weapons (Sword and Shield, Dual Swords). By using the long sword's fade slash ability (X+A) you can avoid attacks and attack at the same time - keeping up an offensive. The run speed with your weapon out is also decent.

IIRC a duo of long sword users won gold at Monster Hunter Festa 2013 so I wouldn't write it off too quickly if you enjoy using it. That being said, just try everything you can until you find something that clicks.

I don't know if this answers your question, but weapon type determines the moveset for most blademaster weapons. Hunting Horns have different notes/songs depending on the weapon you have equipped, but the base moveset stays the same.
EDIT: So for example, a rare 2 Sword and Shield (SnS) would have the same attacks and combos as a rare 9 SnS, with the only difference being stats.

I wouldn't say long sword is restricted in mobility. It's more of a middle ground between the powerful heavy weapons (Great Sword, Hammer), and the faster, weaker weapons (Sword and Shield, Dual Swords). By using the long sword's fade slash ability (X+A) you can avoid attacks and attack at the same time - keeping up an offensive. The run speed with your weapon out is also decent.

IIRC a duo of long sword users won gold at Monster Hunter Festa 2013 so I wouldn't write it off too quickly if you enjoy using it.

I don't know if this answers your question, but weapon type determines the moveset for most blademaster weapons. Hunting Horns have different notes/songs depending on the weapon you have equipped, but the base moveset stays the same.

Hmm, must have got it wrong and used a Greatsword in the demo. The X+A attack was like an uppercut, and holding X charged an overhead attack

Shengar

IIRC a duo of long sword users won gold at Monster Hunter Festa 2013 so I wouldn't write it off too quickly if you enjoy using it.

I'm not surprised by this. LS already a weapon that literary makes you do a ballet dance with the monsters even prior the new move it got in MH4.

Bastos

I would definitely recommend focus for sure. You suddenly have much more opportunities to land lv3s, and even the occasional lv3 slam -> wide swing combo.
Of course, it will mess with your timing at first (especially if you have a habit of charging lv3s when the monster starts turning toward you).

EDIT: Well if your issue is more about positioning and timing, then I suggest going solo and learning the more obvious tells and openings of monsters, so you can position yourself to get a charge regardless of who the monster is targeting. Focus will help you take advantage of those openings in multiplayer more effectively, but you'll still have times where the only thing you can do is draw-slash -> roll -> sheath. The less predictable monsters become, the less effective GSs are.
Positioning and Timing is one of my problems too, the last MH I really played was MHFU and I never made far in the game because I didn't understand anything about skills, etc at the time.

Yesterday I faced Frenzy Brachydios (Caravan *9) for the first time, I had to control myself to not curse out loud inside the Library LOL. After failing the quest 3 times I started to understand Brachy, but when he gets enraged... Oh boy! I still don't get the opening to hit charges on his face, maybe it's because of the Frenzy, he's pissed the whole fight and never stops moving.

OmegaZero

Hmm, must have got it wrong and used a Greatsword in the demo. The X+A attack was like an uppercut, and holding X charged an overhead attack

Yup, Greatsword is the big heavy chargeable weapon. SnS is basically the opposite in terms of playstyle since you'll want to make use of your speed and ability to evade out of combos to stick to the monster like glue.

Also, on the mobility note, I'd argue that Greatsword is one of the most mobile weapons out there on the basis that you'll usually be running around sheathed. Once you see an opening, you just charge, release, roll, sheathe, and repeat. Of course, I'm probably biased as a GS main.

Artian Armor looks so awesome, so I want to make it.

But Fragments, both Rusted and Ancient, blow immense goats.

What's the best way of farming these things?

OmegaZero

Positioning and Timing is one of my problems too, the last MH I really played was MHFU and I never made far in the game because I didn't understand anything about skills, etc at the time.

Yesterday I faced Frenzy Brachydios (Caravan *9) for the first time, I had to control myself to not curse out loud inside the Library LOL. After failing the quest 3 times I started to understand Brachy, but when he gets enraged... Oh boy! I still don't get the opening to hit charges on his face, maybe it's because of the Frenzy, he's pissed the whole fight and never stops moving.

Yeah, Brachy is a bit harder for Greatsword users (as are most mobile monsters). For the 9* Frenzied Brachy, I would focus on evading him when he's enraged, maybe attempting a mount if you didn't already mount him when he was unraged. Hit and run tactics with unsheath attacks are a bit more viable since he has a tendency to scoot sideways and backwards but he still has a few openings that you can easily take advantage of:

-He'll growl, then proceed to lick his hands while standing still. Assuming you're standing to the side or behind him and start charging when he growls, you can get a level 3 and have time to sheathe.
-He'll back up, hiss, and lick his paws, then proceed to do a double paw slam. When you see him back up, run towards him a bit (or to the side) and turn to start charging. You should land a level 3 shortly before he recovers from the attack. (Alternatively, you can just charge when he lands and get a level 2 in after avoiding the attack).
-He'll turn and try to hit you with his tail twice. Stay under him and get a level 3 on his legs.

If you see the opening, go for draw attacks on him in rage mode since the damage does add up. Also note that level 1s and level 2s that hit are always better than missed level 3s. As a final general tip, try to stick near his legs. He tends to over shoot hit attacks if you're closer to him.
EDIT2: Almost forgot, there's no shame in panic blocking an attack that would have killed you. You can draw into a block with R+X+A.

EDIT:
Why is Rathalos such an objectively shit monster to fight?

He's much more annoying then 3U for sure. I always bring flash bombs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom