• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgejjvr

How do people get 800+ defense? Most, if not all, G3 armors have defense similar to that of the Chaos armor. I'm quite confused. Or perhaps I haven't fought those monsters with amazing armors yet?

-Alternis

Bastos

Yeah, Brachy is a bit harder for Greatsword users (as are most mobile monsters). For the 9* Frenzied Brachy, I would focus on evading him when he's enraged, maybe attempting a mount if you didn't already mount him when he was unraged. Hit and run tactics with unsheath attacks are a bit more viable since he has a tendency to scoot sideways and backwards but he still has a few openings that you can easily take advantage of:

-He'll growl, then proceed to lick his hands while standing still. Assuming you're standing to the side or behind him and start charging when he growls, you can get a level 3 and have time to sheathe.
-He'll back up, hiss, and lick his paws, then proceed to do a double paw slam. When you see him back up, run towards him a bit (or to the side) and turn to start charging. You should land a level 3 shortly before he recovers from the attack. (Alternatively, you can just charge when he lands and get a level 2 in after avoiding the attack).
-He'll turn and try to hit you with his tail twice. Stay under him and get a level 3 on his legs.

If you see the opening, go for draw attacks on him in rage mode since the damage does add up. Also note that level 1s and level 2s that hit are always better than missed level 3s. As a final general tip, try to stick near his legs. He tends to over shoot hit attacks if you're closer to him.
Thanks for the tips! I already killed him but I'll hunt him at least 5 more times while following these tips you gave me.

These new monsters are a lot less predictable than the classic ones, I can hunt a Rathalos, Rathian, Tigrex, Cephadrome, Congalala and even the Kushala (if he still have the same moves =p) with my eyes closed hehe.

OmegaZero

These new monsters are a lot less predictable than the classic ones, I can hunt a Rathalos, Rathian, Tigrex, Cephadrome, Congalala and even the Kushala (if he still have the same moves =p) with my eyes closed hehe.

Agreed. They're more mobile and have a more varied moveset, which makes them a pain to GS.

Two quick questions for the experts :

- What do you do with all these useless charms that keep on piling up ? I have 11 pages of talismans, and I haven't even started to farm them seriously :(

- I would like to learn IG and play as support online. Is Assault Rod (for Sleeping status effect) an effective choice ?

tuffy

I just cannot find an Evade Dist charm, or even a lowly 3 slot charm to gem it in. But I do have some Constitutn charms. So if the game is going to make me do a ton of rolls in order to get around, I guess I'll just have to improvise and make those rolls very cheap. That may have to do until G rank when better decorations show up.

And as I suspected, limiter-off HBG Wyvern Fire isn't much use most of the time. But it is pretty neat to have that red bullet in reserve (LBG-style) and finishing off sleeping monsters with it is very satisfying.

Chunky

I love the fun little dynamic events that can happen in hunt.

Just farming the 'last' egg mission for silver eggs, brought Rathalos down to low health and Rathian floats on down.
After a cart I come back and bring 'los to limping. I'm hugging his legs when this happens, so when Rathian decides to let a fireball off, she kills her hubbie and gets me the Subquest.

FUCK YOU RATHALOS

Shiina

- What do you do with all these useless charms that keep on piling up ? I have 11 pages of talismans, and I haven't even started to farm them seriously :(

- I would like to learn IG and play as support online. Is Assault Rod (for Sleeping status effect) an effective choice ?

If you're playing with randoms I would recommend a para glaive (Najarala or T.Zam). I wouldn't trust them to stop hitting once the music stops playing.

einer51

Can anyone advise me on how to access the High Rank Expeditions? I've cleared the Daren Mohran Urgent quest and am High Rank.

Shengar

Sell them. Melding low tier charm only results in more trash

I've been focusing on single player but now I'm also slowly working my way up online ranks. I'm at the HR2 quests and thought I'd pop online. Anyone care to join?

room: 59-0601-7009-9230
PW: 5558
edit: and done.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I dunno, but I've obtained 5 Rathalos plates, 2 rubies, and 1 tail. I need 5 more tails to finish the weapons I'm trying to make. I keep carving medullas and plates from the tail. Send help.
I have gotten a crap ton of medullas myself too lol. No plate or ruby though ugh...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well after 115 hours I think I am about burnt out on it. At the beginning things were pretty nice and they guided you in, then a bit of a ways up they were just right, having taught you what you need to know the monsters scaled up. You play smart and wrap things up pretty decently. From then on, though, it has been obnoxious just because it can be. I get tired of games where I have to use supplements like wikis as a reference for a sensible experience, but the actual battles aside from that have become worse.

The monsters are so insanely aggressive that playing smart seems to be mostly waiting, or getting in little jabs and whatnot when most weapons are based around combos. I think they did this because of the mounting mechanic, which they want you to rely on to get good striking openings or something, but I haven't played the other MH so I can't be sure. What I can say is that fighting monsters in HR is just too tedious. They said it is a game of patience, and I guess that's not for me. Deliberate with swings I can handle, but just running and rolling around most of the time waiting for a chance to even swing is not my thing.

I also don't like how the game seems ultimately based on a reward loop with the mats for armors and weapons, but they always seem to keep the beneficial ones you want out of reach until you have proven you don't need them, which takes all of the reward-factor out of the prize at the end, especially since they are just-scraping-by-tier for the very next thing to come at you after that. Of course, what one considers "just scraping by" is directly proportionate to how long they subjectively feel things should take, since patience makes everything simple, so it isn't a matter of challenge, so much. I guess I'm impatient.

However, while it may seem a very subjective call, you can tell this is intentional because of the arena battles. That gives you a good idea of their ideal power ratios, which is based on tedium, it would seem. Granted, it probably swings around to the other side in multiplayer, where it seems easy to kick the monster's ass because openings happen whenever it goes for someone else and they presumably stay safe 1000x better than the palicoes, but I was never one for relying on multiplayer to get me a fun experience.

Not only that, but I'm getting severely fed up with my 3DS XL. This game has brought out all the reasons I focused on RPG and puzzle games. It is maybe the most uncomfortable gaming device I have ever used, and then on top of that discomfort, the circle pad becomes barely usable with the slightest amount of sweat. Even after I roughed it up with fine sandpaper to give it some more grip, it is just a bad input device. I could glue my thumb to it and the sliding pad would still feel like shit. This game has actually convinced me to not get a n3DS, rewarding the shit design.

Kinsei

Banned
Geez, why do you need 3 giant beaks to make the Emperor's Speech? My Kut-Ku quest is now half way to G rank because of them.

Prototype

Need 1 more Teo hardhorn.

Will be on later tonight. After that likely Diablos.

Wish there was a set like Goldbeard in 3U, HG ears and sharpness +1 with plenty of slots.

Unicorn

Well after 115 hours I think I am about burnt out on it. At the beginning things were pretty nice and they guided you in, then a bit of a ways up they were just right, having taught you what you need to know the monsters scaled up. You play smart and wrap things up pretty decently. From then on, though, it has been obnoxious just because it can be. I get tired of games where I have to use supplements like wikis as a reference for a sensible experience, but the actual battles aside from that have become worse.

The monsters are so insanely aggressive that playing smart seems to be mostly waiting, or getting in little jabs and whatnot when most weapons are based around combos. I think they did this because of the mounting mechanic, which they want you to rely on to get good striking openings or something, but I haven't played the other MH so I can't be sure. What I can say is that fighting monsters in HR is just too tedious. They said it is a game of patience, and I guess that's not for me. Deliberate with swings I can handle, but just running and rolling around most of the time waiting for a chance to even swing is not my thing.

I also don't like how the game seems ultimately based on a reward loop with the mats for armors and weapons, but they always seem to keep the beneficial ones you want out of reach until you have proven you don't need them, which takes all of the reward-factor out of the prize at the end, especially since they are just-scraping-by-tier for the very next thing to come at you after that. Of course, what one considers "just scraping by" is directly proportionate to how long they subjectively feel things should take, since patience makes everything simple, so it isn't a matter of challenge, so much. I guess I'm impatient.

However, while it may seem a very subjective call, you can tell this is intentional because of the arena battles. That gives you a good idea of their ideal power ratios, which is based on tedium, it would seem. Granted, it probably swings around to the other side in multiplayer, where it seems easy to kick the monster's ass because openings happen whenever it goes for someone else and they presumably stay safe 1000x better than the palicoes, but I was never one for relying on multiplayer to get me a fun experience.

Not only that, but I'm getting severely fed up with my 3DS XL. This game has brought out all the reasons I focused on RPG and puzzle games. It is maybe the most uncomfortable gaming device I have ever used, and then on top of that discomfort, the circle pad becomes barely usable with the slightest amount of sweat. Even after I roughed it up with fine sandpaper to give it some more grip, it is just a bad input device. I could glue my thumb to it and the sliding pad would still feel like shit. This game has actually convinced me to not get a n3DS, rewarding the shit design.

Craft items to aid in getting in hits. Knowing when to sonic/flash bomb, trapping for combos, KO'ing, mounting, etc. Learn options for yourself and not just options where the monster leaves an opening.

You just got to HR? Yeah, learn some other tactics than just wailing on monsters. Half the game is hunting; the other half is crafting. LR tried to teach you some monster weaknesses by providing traps, bombs, etc. Use that knowledge to craft your own and generate opportunities where monsters are stunned, KO'ed, or trapped. That's the next "level" in terms of improving your skill and your experience with the game.

Sorry for a bit OT: But is there a Thread to exchange friendcodes ? The new 3ds is my first nintendo console since the gba.

my pass is 1521 - 5766 - 0702. I have zero friends, be my first.

I hope I'll get a copy of MH4U in the coming week, it's really rare in germany.

Mupod

I just cannot find an Evade Dist charm, or even a lowly 3 slot charm to gem it in. But I do have some Constitutn charms. So if the game is going to make me do a ton of rolls in order to get around, I guess I'll just have to improvise and make those rolls very cheap. That may have to do until G rank when better decorations show up.

And as I suspected, limiter-off HBG Wyvern Fire isn't much use most of the time. But it is pretty neat to have that red bullet in reserve (LBG-style) and finishing off sleeping monsters with it is very satisfying.

yeah, it does shit damage, but I keep wyvern fire in my ammo pouch just for waking up sleepers or whatever. Many times it's gotten me that one last part break I needed. I wish it was more powerful so I could use it situationally to break stubborn parts, but I guess that's what crag/clust are for. Come to think of it my gun can fire 'blast' shot which I've never used before, maybe I'll give it a try.

Almost done unlocking stuff in caravan. My new pierce set and Daora gun did horrible, horrible things to Akantor. Could probably get my time under 10 minutes easily next run, if I bother.

Stupid Wycoon really needs to start selling me some bird wyvern fangs. Probably never need to combine in multiplayer hunts but if I use this gun solo it'll be a problem.

la_briola

Sorry for a bit OT: But is there a Thread to exchange friendcodes ? The new 3ds is my first nintendo console since the gba.

my pass is 1521 - 5766 - 0702. I have zero friends, be my first.

I hope I'll get a copy of MH4U in the coming week, it's really rare in germany.

There is a google doc in the OT. You need to quote it to see.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Craft items to aid in getting in hits. Knowing when to sonic/flash bomb, trapping for combos, KO'ing, mounting, etc. Learn options for yourself and not just options where the monster leaves an opening.

You just got to HR? Yeah, learn some other tactics than just wailing on monsters. Half the game is hunting; the other half is crafting. LR tried to teach you some monster weaknesses by providing traps, bombs, etc. Use that knowledge to craft your own and generate opportunities where monsters are stunned, KO'ed, or trapped. That's the next "level" in terms of improving your skill and your experience with the game.
Already experienced this side of things since I played gunner in tandem and they need more help.

The game only lets you carry a small handful, which means you only get a handful of hits, which means you have to craft more because monsters have so much HP and defense now, which means crafting them on the fly in a mission, which means more wiki referencing and harvesting/wycoon and other stuff, and it is all terribly arbitrary.

It's not fun to me. I guess if you only cared about the monster going down, and got massive satisfaction from seeing it do so, or were like the super hardcore obsessives who go for best times and everything, it would be good. That's not me. I like a particular feeling that gameplay gets me in the heat of battle, and this game stopped offering that and put waiting and chores in it's stead.

Unicorn

Already experienced this side of things since I played gunner in tandem and they need more help.

The game only lets you carry a small handful, which means you only get a handful of hits, which means you have to craft more because monsters have no much HP and defense now, which means crafting them on the fly in a mission, which means more wiki referencing and harvesting/wycoon and other stuff, and it is all terribly arbitrary.

It's not fun to me. I guess if you only cared about the monster going down, and got massive satisfaction from seeing it do so, or were like the super hardcore obsessives who go for best times and everything, it would be good. That's not me. I like a particular feeling that gameplay gets me in the heat of battle, and this game stopped offering that and put waiting and chores in it's stead.

In HR this shouldn't be a problem. What specific hunts/monsters are you having issues with? Is it every monster now? That would be a sure sign that it isn't an item deficit, nor a monster having too much health problem, but that your gear or "skill" isn't up to snuff. If it is a specific hunt, or hunts, then we can help you with this feeling of "padded challenge."

I'm not disagreeing or discrediting that you may have burnout after 100+ hours in < 2 weeks. That's legitimate, surely, but I feel that burnout from the game feeling unfair may not be the primary cause.

Wanderer5

Gotten into high rank online! I liking dios charge blade alot, so I probably be farming Brachydios a lot for the upgrade and his armor S when I get to HR6.

Just bought a New 3DS and was going to get this have to....sadly GameStop and Best buy didn't have any copies and the GS guy said it had been a hot seller.

Peru

Getting a powerful new piece of armor should feel like a reward for something. Fighting a challenging foe to get a boost in defence feels right. And when you get a new piece of armor, a good one, you really don't 'just scrape by' for a while. It should be good enough for you to feel a new sense of comfort for some tiers of monsters.

The game has a lot of items and combinations and info could be put in the game as a wiki of its own but to be honest it would never be quite as good as the user-created ones, so I don't really see the issue of having some reference material off-screen.

After playing 115 hours I would take a break from any game as well, but I don't think you're being fair towards the gameplay here. In high rank it does not get less elegant, but more. The sense of satisfaction from the gameplay itself, from your dodge skills, your understanding of the monster, is heightened. Yes, you have to circle the monster some times, like a boxer looking for an opening, but the great feeling comes from creating those openings. Items, like mentioned above, or smart fighting: Knocking the monster out instead of just damaging it, using its various modes of operation, viruses, etc, against it.. it's exactly about "the particular feeling that gameplay gets me in the heat of battle" you seek. The mounting mechanic is trivial, it's not at all what the game on that level is based around and highly skilled players won't necessarily use it.

Scher

Yes I have. I have beaten the story offline entirely, even took down the G rank Dah'ren Mohran. Why do you ask? How do you meld charms?

-Alternis

There's a guy in the back of Cathar (in front of the gate that leads to the guru) who is standing in front of a giant pot. Maximelder XIV or something like that. You talk to him and you are given different options for how you wish to meld talismans, and it takes frenzy shards/crystals/stuff in order to meld them.

The reason they asked if you had done singleplayer is because I'm pretty sure one of the quests you had to do was explicitly for the melder in order to unlock that functionality.

upandaway

The game only lets you carry a small handful, which means you only get a handful of hits, which means you have to craft more because monsters have so much HP and defense now, which means crafting them on the fly in a mission, which means more wiki referencing and harvesting/wycoon and other stuff, and it is all terribly arbitrary.

If the gameplay is fun then everything else is glued together by that, and if it isn't then everything falls apart. So yeah if you're not having fun anymore there's no point.

But I think I'm with Unicorn on this one, the only times where I really felt like I need to be patient is with the endgame crazy monsters or the supercharged event monsters, that are built for multiplayer to begin with. HR might be too soon to feel that way. If you just want more impulsive gameplay then maybe try out the DS or SnS, they were designed to get a hit in every few seconds at minimum to maintain a comparable DPS to the other weapons.

Unicorn

There's a guy in the back of Cathar (in front of the gate that leads to the guru) who is standing in front of a giant pot. Maximelder XIV or something like that. You talk to him and you are given different options for how you wish to meld talismans, and it takes frenzy shards/crystals/stuff in order to meld them.

The reason they asked if you had done singleplayer is because I'm pretty sure one of the quests you had to do was explicitly for the melder in order to unlock that functionality.

I think I missed this as well and I'm on 8-star quests currently. I've just been skipping most of the dialogue. There is just too much wordiness. Humor is good in small doses, but the joke to info ratio to reading too much had me tuning out.

Maybe if speech/text boxes were color-coded for context. Some key words are highlighted in red and chime, but idk. I don't have a suggestion for improving it.

Scher

I think I missed this as well and I'm on 8-star quests currently. I've just been skipping most of the dialogue. There is just too much wordiness. Humor is good in small doses, but the joke to info ratio to reading too much had me tuning out.

Maybe if speech/text boxes were color-coded for context. Some key words are highlighted in red and chime, but idk. I don't have a suggestion for improving it.

Yeah, I can definitely understand people glossing over text and not noticing these things. The only thing I could imagine them doing to help people not miss these things is to either highlight keywords, like you said, or force people to meld a talisman before moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom