• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

Every longsword in the game up till then? Which is crazy since they are apparently some of the sharpest? I had to fly through whetstones so much before getting it, and yes that is while aiming at the vulnerable spots. It was super annoying, especially since comboing (blade-dulling) was required to get it powered up, and sharpening wasted your powered-up time. It's part of what pushed me to expanding into gunner options.

What is mind's eye? I'm talking about the skill that makes your blade dull half as fast, because once it hit yellow, which was happening quickly, it would seem to bounce off everything.

I just assumed that what you were talking about since you said you were bouncing a lot. Its the skill that removes the bouncing animation. I pretty much only ever sharpen when it gets to yellow in high rank and thats like once or twice a hunt at most with that razor sharp skill. You can always just get the feline polisher food buff and make it so sharpening is almost instant as well if you are that concerned about sharpening.

Sound like what you really wanted was the razor sharp skill with makes it so your sharpness last twice as long. You will literally never bounce if you hit a weak spot if you have green sharpness. Its ok to fall down a level some times if it means you can attack the monster more as long as you aren't dropping to yellow sharpness.
Conversely, gemming in speed sharpener is much easier and leads to sharpening as quick as using a potion.

You don't need the very best possible weapon of each element to take on a monster. Hell, as an IG user I stuck with the Nerscylla until Shagaru, then Le Traquer until G Tigerstripe Zamtrios. Maybe your goals are a bit skewed. Get a good, all purpose weapon and don't fret so much about not having a weapon from a later monster to take down an earlier one. Save that level of effort for G rank.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Every longsword in the game up till then? Which is crazy since they are apparently some of the sharpest? I had to fly through whetstones so much before getting it, and yes that is while aiming at the vulnerable spots. It was super annoying, especially since comboing (blade-dulling) was required to get it powered up, and sharpening wasted your powered-up time. It's part of what pushed me to expanding into gunner options.

What is mind's eye? I'm talking about the skill that makes your blade dull half as fast, because once it hit yellow, which was happening quickly, it would seem to bounce off everything.
Hmmm I can see that you are doing a lot of the right thing already in game. So if this isn't working for you then maybe it is Somethibg else or this game isn't for you. Might I suggest that you hunt with some nice GAFers online so they can observe how you hunt and maybe give advices there if needed? I played with a GAFer last night who opened my eyes about SnS weapon potential in that you can drop bombs and traps on the fly and that is an incrediable learning experience that I didn't know was possible before. Most importantly, it looked like a lot of fun. I get a feeling that you value a lot of mobility so this could be something you should look into. Also, I will say from my personally experience is that the jump from LR to HR is indeed quite rough. It isn't the gradual increase in difficulty like in the LR ranking up. It is a definite sharp increase in difficulty in every possible way during the hunt. I arrived at HR not long ago myself too, and the first order of business for me then was to get a starter HR armour set. I chose the Tetsu S set and was thankful to all the people who patiently hunted with me to farm those parts. Before this, I only have one LR armour set I crafted before and upgraded a few times. I hope what I've said is a bit helpful to you but I also get that this may not be a game for everybody too.

burgerdog

Anyone able to help me kill Molten Tigrex HR 2x(if extremely unlucky.) I need a tail and 4 scales to upgrade my Seregios SA.

12 4855 4478 6201

R0ckman

The half-the-HP comment was not a complaint about P.Gypceros, but purely a response to Peru about armor giving a sense of comfort for tiers of monsters, which was a contradiction to my point that the gameplay shifts from LR to HR in such a way that you have to prove you don't need armor in order to get better armor, and if you are so proving you don't need it, then the sense of reward gained from it is nullified. To me, anyway.

I don't need to take less damage with my armor, since I'll quickly die if I'm taking hits either way. So then you let your movement keep you from taking damage, as I have obviously been doing. So then the focus on armor what gets you what you do need, such as the ability to swing a sword at the thing without it bouncing off for a while, hence my choice of Ceanataur. But "allowing you to attack" is not an advantage, it is a baseline. So my point about the reward being the capacity to scrape going forward by stands.

The same stands for pretty much any other notion of apparent advantage. Want a decent water elemental upgrade to fight so-and-so monster? Well for some dumb reason it requires parts from this much-harder monster. If you beat that one a few times, you'll have parts for your reward of an advantage against the comparatively-now-puny-looking monster, making the whole endeavor to get an advantage seem like a waste of time not only in fighting it now, but retroactively also the process of fighting that other monster to get the mats for gaining that needless advantage.

Maybe I just got a bad luck of the draw in my choices, but it has been amazing how strongly this pattern has held in mats desired for getting an upper hand and the challenges required to get them. There has been absolutely no progressive sense of reward, only retroactive if for some reason I ever wanted to go back to fight outdated things. Going forward, it has always been hardline necessitated that I fight harder things at neutral or disadvantage.

Yeah you have to be way too cautious in this and even then you can get caught in a combo is the monster chooses to attack you over and over. Because theres no aggro its more like a simple board game supplemented by a random factor than a strategy game.

Mupod

after like 120 hunts with the najarala gun it's great to finally have a pierce HBG again. I fought Gore Magala with it and I swear I neutralized the virus in two damn shots.

Unlocked caravan Rajang now. Just need to unlock Teo, beat him, and then I'll move on in the guild hall. Or maybe I'll fight this Fatalis I unlocked, I don't know how masochistic I'm feeling.

ilium

I'd join, but it won't connect. Passcode incorrect. Friend joining doesn't want to work either.

hmm weird, it worked earlier. but we're done for now anyway.

that Stygian Zinogre & Brachydios quest is no joke D:

gonna try tomorrow again i guess...

edit: and sorry burgerdog for letting you wait so long and then disband the lobby... :\

Ken

after like 120 hunts with the najarala gun it's great to finally have a pierce HBG again. I fought Gore Magala with it and I swear I neutralized the virus in two damn shots.

Unlocked caravan Rajang now. Just need to unlock Teo, beat him, and then I'll move on in the guild hall. Or maybe I'll fight this Fatalis I unlocked, I don't know how masochistic I'm feeling.

:eek:

I was doing G3 SMag yesterday and knocked out of virus in one charge shot + power shot with my bow.

Also come back to FFXIV for expansion!

Cerity

Yeah you have to be way too cautious in this and even then you can get caught in a combo is the monster chooses to attack you over and over. Because theres no aggro its more like a simple board game supplemented by a random factor than a strategy game.

The randomness is only there if you choose to play with your cats or other people. If you look at a lot of the g rank runs on youtube, they go solo and rarely, if ever bring their cats. If they're playing in a group they lock the monster down with stuns, traps and constant staggering.

If you do solo, you typically know the monster well enough to know where you should be in position relative to the monster or when and which direction to dodge to not get caught in combos.

Mupod

:eek:

I was doing G3 SMag yesterday and knocked out of virus in one charge shot + power shot with my bow.

Also come back to FFXIV for expansion!

unfortunately I'm still tied to WoW since a lot of my friends are playing that. Not enough time in the day to play that and MH, let alone that, FF14, and soon Bloodborne. I'd like to go back someday though.

jorgejjvr

Hey guys anyone down for G3 hunts??? I'm mainly thinking of farming Ukanlos and Teostra. And I'm also thinking of doing them frenzied quests in order to level up the wystones and get new ones. Or whichever one of those two options you guys are interested in doing xD

Hey guys anyone down for G3 hunts??? I'm mainly thinking of farming Ukanlos and Teostra. And I'm also thinking of doing them frenzied quests in order to level up the wystones and get new ones. Or whichever one of those two options you guys are interested in doing xD

I will be able to play in 30 minutes. Need to do my Gogmazios urgent.

la_briola

B_h_aKNU0AAZmJU.jpg

Monster Hunter booth @ PAX.

How do you unlock rust kushala daora online? I've read you need to kill 30 daoras, don't really want to waste my time killing another 10 if it isn't.

SuperSah

Banned
Anyone fancy helping me farm Kecha Wacha maybe a couple of times? I just need two more talons to make the lance.

My GH is 68-9171-2009-6059 if interested.

Randdalf

Just beat Nerscylla for the first time (which took like 31 mins), and now I'm on a ship with this massive black dragon attacking and I have no idea what's going on but it's so much fun. I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface in terms of strategy when approaching monster fights, my general process right now is to just dodge around a lot, get in a few slashes when I can and constantly try and go for mounts. I'm playing with sword & shield right now, and I haven't really used many battle items like explosives, or traps, or bombs, yet. I'm enjoying this game much more than I thought I would.

Cerity

This text error is back :/ It went away when I formatted my SD, then came back and went away again when I started using my CPP. Now it's back again, really annoying as I can't read anything other than "Aged Text Deciphered" when I finish a quest.

tragic

Developer
Wyporium Trade Run:

61-4954-1661-3821

Starting at Advanced: More Morhan (7* Req) and going from there. Willing to go as far as anyone wants to go. Just need to knock these all out!

Following with Akantor Cup (also in 7*) then moving through all the G-Rank / Crown stuff.

Swing by!

Was just watching some MHO videos and man I kind of wish that this game was on next-gen consoles as opposed to the 3DS. Looks good graphically and MH4 would likely look even better.

burgerdog

Christ, you know when you finally get the mats to upgrade a weapon and you rush over to the man? You're extremely excited and then realize you don't have enough money. FKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Beats

Christ, you know when you finally get the mats to upgrade a weapon and you rush over to the man? You're extremely excited and then realize you don't have enough money. FKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

This has happened to me so many times lol, but I usually just sell monster mats that I know I'll never use or sell some ores that I have an excess amount of for quick cash.

Ken

Sell those ancient shard weapons for 16k to 20k per.

tuffy

Any suggestions for a LBG to build from scratch? I want one for Gravios and other slow as hell monsters.
For Gravios, start with the Royal Torrent and go down the line upgrading as far as you can. Concentrate on rapid-fire water shot and he's a complete pushover.

Ridley327

Thanks for the help with the event Seregios. The ship as a battleground for normal-sized wyvern is the worst thing to happen to the series since Plesioth's hip-check hitbox for the first two generations.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For Gravios, start with the Royal Torrent and go down the line upgrading as far as you can. Concentrate on rapid-fire water shot and he's a complete pushover.

Thanks - I'll make a point of that!

E: Anyone want to do some low rank stuff? Helping friend with his HR stuff. 16-0331-8779-5026

burgerdog

This has happened to me so many times lol, but I usually just sell monster mats that I know I'll never use or sell some ores that I have an excess amount of for quick cash.

Sell those ancient shard weapons for 16k to 20k per.

Oooh, good idea. I'll see what I can get rid off after we're done hunting. I don't remember being this short on cash in mh3u.

bobohoro

You got Razor Sharp, which is gotten with the armour skill Sharpness.
The other skill Mind's Eye, which is gotten with Fencing, cuts the bouncing animation and really isn't all that useful as far as I can tell.

And you definitely shouldn't hit yellow sharpness that fast in HR. Doubly so with Razor Sharp. You should be able to create swords with a bunch of green sharpness, some even with a bit of blue sharpness, which will make you use a whetstone 2 times tops in a longer quest.

Ridley327

You got Razor Sharp, which is gotten with the armour skill Sharpness.
The other skill Mind's Eye, which is gotten with Fencing, cuts the bouncing animation and really isn't all that useful as far as I can tell.

And you definitely shouldn't hit yellow sharpness that fast in HR. Doubly so with Razor Sharp. You should be able to create swords with a bunch of green sharpness, some even with a bit of blue sharpness, which will make you use a whetstone 2 times tops in a longer quest.

Fencing is more useful for some weapons than others. It's really goddamned handy for GS so that you can do draw charge->slap->wind-up charge without worrying about being bounced off.

Iceman829

Anyone here doing any low level hunt missions? I'm just starting out and finished the first 2 ranks of town quests and wanted to try some of the co-op hunting for a bit.

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks for the help with the event Seregios. The ship as a battleground for normal-sized wyvern is the worst thing to happen to the series since Plesioth's hip-check hitbox for the first two generations.

I actually thought it was easier there. Just jump off the ship whenever you're bleeding or in danger to get to safety.

Shiina

Is the general consensus that it's good to mount any chance you can?

Depends on the monster. Elder dragons (Gog and C.Fatty especially) seem to be very vulnerable to mounting and if you have a bunch of weapons that can do great (hehehe) damage while the enemy is immobile it's a good idea to attempt to mount often. Don't just mount, though, and be careful while doing it because your air time has no iframes and you're very likely to get hit if you attempt it at a bad time.

jorgejjvr

No. Maybe once or twice per hunt but any more than that and you're doing less damage than you would otherwise.
But they fall over and you can do tons of damage. And your team can heal up, sharpen etc, makes sense strategy wise as well, also helps with cutting tails and head etc

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No. Maybe once or twice per hunt but any more than that and you're doing less damage than you would otherwise.

OK - my friend uses IG and mounts multiple times per hunt. I'll have to inform him that he's probably should lay off the crazy mounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom