• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Who's Jay(symbols)? No offense but you really gotta learn when to use the gong and ballista binder.

But they fall over and you can do tons of damage. And your team can heal up, sharpen etc, makes sense strategy wise as well, also helps with cutting tails and head etc

And that doesn't make up for the damage the person trying to mount loses after the mounting threshold goes up enough.

R0ckman

Who's Jay(symbols)? No offense but you really gotta learn when to use the gong and ballista binder.

And that doesn't make up for the damage the person trying to mount loses after the mounting threshold goes up enough.

Depends on the monster and other weapons in the party. Its good for monsters that don't stay still often.

Anura

The only time I can really advocate spamming mounts is during GQ with timid groups. Everyone is avoiding the one shots and playing this crazy safe so getting that knock down is a very nice burst of damage.

The rest of the time once or twice should suffice.

Beartruck

Just fought Gravios for the first time, and it ended the most cinematic way possible. I was on a small ledge near him, and he shot a huge laser right at me. I barely avoided it, ran at him, leapt off the ledge and did a flying slash to his head to finish him off. Easily the best finish to a battle I've had yet.

Shurayuki

How do you unlock rust kushala daora online? I've read you need to kill 30 daoras, don't really want to waste my time killing another 10 if it isn't.

In G3 (crown G3 though IIRC) you will randomly get 'defense' quests where a monster attacks the city like in SP.

Beat any of those for the quest.

I don't think it has to be Operation:Windbreaker, wiki says everything goes.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't think anyone playing monster hunter would say the enjoyment comes simply from 'winning'. You could 'win' by spending 50 minutes on every monster playing super defensively. On the contrary much of the fun emerges from the depth of the gameplay alone, and the idea of clean, good, satisfying fights taking precedence over everything else. I think using that strawman argument makes less sense talking about MonHan than almost any other game, because simply reaching a particular goal is not of much interest to any MH fan.
I was in the 4th stage of fighting a Rathalos and came from the side during a fireball spewing to head-knock it down and thrashed on it. It got up and started swinging the tail so I rolled out and around to the platform that I intentionally stopped it at to jump from and mounted and thrashed again. It got all ragey with just fireballs and wind everywhere so I ran back far climbed up to eye level so it'd glide over to try and knock me down, but I used a flash bomb to knock it down and thrash on it more. It got up so I roll wall grab->leap shot for another mount and add another full padded spirit combo after that. It started limping away and off the edge of the plateau so I run and jumped over to do an air strike final blow.

Rathalos is no joke, but you can be smart and work with it to make openings and do that kind of thing. It's hard when it's raging, and much harder in a flat and/or small area, but if you have room to run around, it isn't too bad. Harder monsters than that seem to always be in rage mode, with roars and tremors and wind and skin-explosions and sudden dashes to interrupt anything, so you can only do anything when it is completely safe entering and existing because you know 100% the monster can't do anything in that moment. It takes the balance out of whack away from dance and into the realm of exploits like the bombs/traps.

Another pain for me is still the camera. It is trash. You can only read monsters if you can see them, so that means always away from walls since the camera is utter garbage near walls. It also means keeping your attacks around the outside of the monster, since often under them can be safe for a certain attack or two, but then your vision is blocked and you can't read when they'll run and trample you or something. So the constant battle for positioning just to maintain a half-decent camera while also not in their attack zones is a big distraction/needless complication in the more hectic fights with raging monsters, preventing pure read and response gameplay that other action games have.

Ken

You're going to have to at some point. You'll be completely useless on apex hunts (they appear at the very end of the online) if you don't complete the story and get the drive wystone.

I know. I'm three away from level 2 drive but only 700 points lol.

after like 120 hunts with the najarala gun it's great to finally have a pierce HBG again. I fought Gore Magala with it and I swear I neutralized the virus in two damn shots.

Unlocked caravan Rajang now. Just need to unlock Teo, beat him, and then I'll move on in the guild hall. Or maybe I'll fight this Fatalis I unlocked, I don't know how masochistic I'm feeling.

I am impressed with your tolerance for squeaks! As much as I wanted to use that gun, I had to put it away after a couple hunts. Just couldn't stand that wretched squeaking every time I folded it up.

Anyone want to do Dalamadur? Just had a random cart on me 3 times before I even got to learn all of its moves.

ID: 53-6399-2143-4463

Merci to Dat Waifu! for the assistance (and anyone else from GAF in the room). Went from 7 to 44 and feelin' good.

Got destroyed by that laser though. I always tend to dive when the laser is a few levels below me.

I fired up the demo again to see how I liked the LBG, and I'm kind of liking it so far. What's a good gunner set for where I'm at (Caravan 10/HR 6)? Think I'm gonna make a Seregios LBG and try my hand at it.

Dice

I fired up the demo again to see how I liked the LBG, and I'm kind of liking it so far. What's a good gunner set for where I'm at (Caravan 10/HR 6)? Think I'm gonna make a Seregios LBG and try my hand at it.
FYI C1 missions are mostly weapon training vs a Great Jaggi. No need to go to the demo.

I'm not that far in the game so I don't know what's good for it then, but generally fast reload or evade distance are very nice things to have. Also as always watch the Gaijin Hunter video for some important knowledge on shot types and distances.

tuffy

If you can farm high rank Dah'ren Mohran a few times, you could whip up an Epoch/Dayspring set. The Bonus Shot skill it comes with should improve the power of any LBG's rapid-fire capability quite a bit.

FYI C1 missions are mostly weapon training vs a Great Jaggi. No need to go to the demo.

I'm not that far in the game so I don't know what's good for it then, but generally fast reload or evade distance are very nice things to have. Also as always watch the Gaijin Hunter video for some important knowledge on shot types and distances.

Good to know! I saw Gaijin's vid with the Seregios LBG, which sold me on the concept. Gonna check out his tutorial in a few.

If you can farm high rank Dah'ren Mohran a few times, you could whip up an Epoch/Dayspring set. The Bonus Shot skill it comes with should improve the power of any LBG's rapid-fire capability quite a bit.
I'll look into that. Dah'ren is pretty simple to fight. Should make for a decent set. Thanks.

Mupod

anybody working through HR7 right now? Just beat Caravan Teostra so I think it's finally time for me to start moving on

Dice

Good to know! I saw Gaijin's vid with the Seregios LBG, which sold me on the concept. Gonna check out his tutorial in a few.
Something he doesn't cover is you want to keep some mats and a couple combo books around for making more ammo in-quest. Sometimes you run out of the good stuff with monsters that have high HP or fighting multiple monsters.

Also, I don't know if you have been utilizing it yet, but registering item sets is incredibly useful if you want to switch between melee and gunner often. It's also useful in general just because it stores gathered items and restocks staples in one click.

Busaiku

Man, the 3 monster quests were so much easier than the 2 monster quests.
Heck, the 2 monster quests were easier than Frenzied Tigrex.

Talk about luck. I saw Black Gravios in my HR expedition and even though I didn't get anything from him in the rewards I did get 3 scalps which is 1 more than I needed to start making the lagi dual blades.

80 hours and I'm still on the HR village quests.

I don't think I'm going to be replacing this Narga armour for a long time.

I don't really see anything that I'd want over the evasion.

I also made the Arachnoscale Charge Blade and it's pretty cool. I was mostly flailing at first until I started putting things together. But I need to learn to stop going for the Super Charge every single time I attack something. It's such a meaty attack I just feel like doing it as much as possible.

Hammer is so satisfying. Breaking faces in, smashing thing slept and right. Getting KOs in groups is really fun, except for when everyone swarms the face and knocks the hammer bro over.

What's a good monster to practice hunting on? Each monster has their own pattern, but just one that I can get a better grip on weapons.

jorgejjvr

Why is expedition gear so valuable? Surely, the best ordinary gold crown G3* armor would match the armor you get from expeditions, right? I just don't see a point in doing hundreds of expeditions to hopefully maybe get good gear. And sure, they give you skill points towards skills with many skills in them, but honestly I don't really find them all that useful. All I really need is speed sharpening and speed gathering in terms of skills. I don't need sharpness plus one even on apex quests. And in terms of armor, I would hope that if I just do the hardest online quests, they'll match up with expedition armor. Especially with the divine armor Spheres.

Does anyone have any comments? Perhaps I'm not as educated as you guys are on the matter.

-Alternis

la_briola

Hammer is so satisfying. Breaking faces in, smashing thing slept and right. Getting KOs in groups is really fun, except for when everyone swarms the face and knocks the hammer bro over.

What's a good monster to practice hunting on? Each monster has their own pattern, but just one that I can get a better grip on weapons.

Yian Garuga

if you want to hate the game

jorgejjvr

Also, are there any charge blades that can be made only from materials obtained via trading with the Wycoon? I ask because someone was using the abyssal lagiacrus long sword and it struck my curiosity. If so, what charge blades can you make?

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

How do I get the Drive Wystone? Already cleared the story and I am on 10 star quests.

There are quests in G1,G2, and G3 in which the client is "The professor"

Do those enough and you'll get a villager request from the Wycoon to upgrade the Wyceum and subsequently the stones. I believe if you do all the quests from G rank that belong to the professor, all the wystones will be level 2, you'll earn the drive and elemental wystones, the abilities to carry two wystones at once, and special items to use in the battle quarters.

-Alternis

R0ckman

Haha so use to not having trem res when fighting rajang. More of his openings are actually openings now. Was breaking horns for a group I was with, while collecting money so I guess I got paid for it haha.

Annoying when people see I have Ice hammer and a skill set up obviously to fight rajang and they still get in my way trying to break the horns with me. I broke them doing it by myself and didn't break any when trying to fight over the head with another Hammer CB users.

Cerity

Is eating the only way to get vouchers? I need two more regular ones to complete the patissier armor.

Yep, I eat even for harvest tours so wasn't too big of an issue for me. I made the set because it sounded cool but it's actually some pretty decent fire resist so I've been using it for my A.rath farming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom