• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anura

Does affinity/crits on LBG/HBG affect elemental damage? I know the elemental damage is based on the raw damage for the guns, but are they affected by the affinity or is a high raw negative affinity gun simply great for elementals?

I got enough mats for a Ukanlos Flame Bow LBG, and it does have decent raw but -30% affinity. It's better than my current Ice LBG even if affinity affects the elemental at least.

Affinity doesn't effect element.

popyea

What's the go with breaking Najarala's beak? I break it every time, but can never get Chilling Beaks. Does it have a second broken state that I'm not getting?

A couple of questions if someone would oblige:

When mounting and it turns red, do I have to just hold R or do I hammer at it? I get thrown quire a lot and I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

I hear a lot of people saying that farming the Tetsucabra armor is a good idea when in low rank (I'm just starting 4* caravan and HR3 in online) but I've noticed that most of that set doesn't have decoration slots. Isn't it better to get a set with slots? I currently have a mix and match set that gives me speed sharpening but only 83 Def.

Basically, before I go farm the Tetsucabra I'm wanting to know if it's a waste of time?

XDDX

A couple of questions if someone would oblige:

When mounting and it turns red, do I have to just hold R or do I hammer at it? I get thrown quire a lot and I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

I hear a lot of people saying that farming the Tetsucabra armor is a good idea when in low rank (I'm just starting 4* caravan and HR3 in online) but I've noticed that most of that set doesn't have decoration slots. Isn't it better to get a set with slots? I currently have a mix and match set that gives me speed sharpening but only 83 Def.

Basically, before I go farm the Tetsucabra I'm wanting to know if it's a waste of time?
When it goes red you hold R. Don't really need to farm Tetsu in low rank unless you really need the extra defense. Don't really need to worry much about slots in low rank either.

Thanks everyone.

I've heard people look down on mix and match sets online and so I thought getting a set was a good idea?

I don't seem to need the extra defense too much in solo but doing HR3 stuff online is tough and I tend to have to chug mega potions and cart a bit too.

Is around 85 Def low for HR3 or about right? I main SnS and the CB so I might miss the sharpener skill.

Kard8p3

Thanks everyone.

I've heard people look down on mix and match sets online and so I thought getting a set was a good idea?

I don't seem to need the extra defense too much in solo but doing HR3 stuff online is tough and I tend to have to chug mega potions and cart a bit too.

Is around 85 Def low for HR3 or about right? I main SnS and the CB so I might miss the sharpener skill.

If you get the full Tetsu set and upgrade it you should have over 110 def, maybe closer to 130. Don't have my 3DS turned on so I can't check, but Tetsu armor is pretty good early game from what I've used.

zlCfzTFweRwH5vsv7O

Current HH set:

Armor:
Caedus X head
Kushala X chest
Chameleos X arm
Kushala X waist
Torso up

Weapon:
Onyx Tepsichore

####
Evasion +2
HG Earplugs
Horn Maestro
####

Not sure what else I could want. Maybe Challenger and Stam Drain but yeah not possible with this set. I don't need SpeedSharpen, because I rarely have to sharpen my weapon. My current Horn and the second in the making (Seregios) both have natural purple, so Sharpness +1 is a waste.

Cool, think I'll try the small bomb method. Not sure it's totally worth it but it'll be fun trying.

I'm trying to come up with more advanced tech than just running close and spamming lol.

Shengar

That's crazy. He just seems to stand there and take the bomb damage though, I guess his armor is strong enough to handle it?

What's the stuff he seems to be just throwing at nothing? Looks like a smoke bomb of some sort but it doesn't seem to hit the monster.

No, he evade it, only possible with Evasion+1 at the very least.

Juraash

Was having some trouble deciding what quest to do to start my journey with G-Rank. Ultimately I decided on the double tetsu quest as my first. His armor had been a good start point in previous ranks and I knew his patterns pretty well. Double capped with no carts and got a pile of mats. Needless to say I was pretty pleased with the outcome. Rather Soul has served me very well thus far and this one G-Rank was so fun. It was such a rush, most of his attacks hit hard, but not terrifyingly so, but his like...side step thing was nearly 50% of my life.

G-Rank seems like it's gonna be the pinnacle of the MH experience.

But he's standing right on top of it when it blows? Is he only just outside the hitbox?

He rolls after the blow. Evasion increases the inv window. He throws a smoke bomb at the beginning, later a flash bomb.
Also when he charges one time in on the bomb he gets super armor from the sns charge (x+a).

edit: More explaining what's going on. He charges also in to place the traps. He gets enough super armor from the charge so he won't get interrupted to place it. He throws a sonic bomb at diablos first (I guess that's what you mean).

Quick questions:

How do I fill the monster list? All it says is no data.

The targetting icon that I used in the tutorial quests now says unseen. How or when does that start working again?

Seil

But he's standing right on top of it when it blows? Is he only just outside the hitbox?

The actual damage from the bomb explosion is a tick after the explosion starts. Using an evasion skill to increase the invincibility frames of the dodge roll, he dodges through the explosion's damage.

Quick questions:

The targetting icon that I used in the tutorial quests now says unseen. How or when does that start working again?

You can only target "large" monsters. Unless there's a 'boss" on the map, you can't target.

The monster list in your notes is filled by purchasing monster books from a shop.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Quick questions:

You buy the notes from the grocery shop.

You can only use the target when a big monster sees you/other players one time during the hunt.

Oh OK cool. Thanks both. I wondered what evasion did and now I know.

BTW, to use the monster cam you need to press that square on the touchscreen while in the same area as the monster.

Got the sickest KO on a Monoblos. It was doing a u-turn getting ready to charge at me when I let off a super burst to its face as it was barreling towards me. It shoots past and I turn around to see it laid out on the floor lol

3DS needs a share button

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Got the sickest KO on a Monoblos. It was doing a u-turn getting ready to charge at me when I let off a super burst to its face as it was barreling towards me. It shoots past and I turn around to see it laid out on the floor lol

3DS needs a share button

A share feature would be amazing. Even just the last "10-30 seconds" of gameplay or something would be killer.

I love when a fancy KO goes as planned. Like launching off something high and nailing a monster square in the dome as it's charging towards you. There are some amazing moments to be had with the new vertical dynamics and improved momentum in this game. It just feels so great.

JimPanzer

build a new glaive set

Evade +3
Evade Dist
Sharpness +1
Attack M

consits only of kushala and nargacuga parts, so it doesn't look like utter shit

Zareka

Finally started this game last night and I don't remember the start of 3 being as grandiose as that. I also love all these tutorials they've put in, it really helps a newcomer like me get to grips with things easier (even if I did play MH3U for about 50 hours).

I'm currently trying to decide on a weapon. I played a lot of Katana in 3 so I'm looking for something different. The Iron Sword was fun but it's way too slow and clunky for me to use it effectively. I'm terrible at landing a hit with it.

The bows seem cool but I can't see myself lasting very long solo with it. It seems like it'd be great in multiplayer though! I gave the Dual Blades a try too and I might stick with them but I'm not totally feeling it yet. There are a surprising amount of weapons when I look at it so I could be here a while. Also, THANK YOU CAPCOM for the weapon tutorial quests!

I hope I can actually play with others this time round thanks to online multiplayer. I wanted to play MH3U so much more but no one I knew irl liked it enough to stick with it.

Alright Insect Glave is awesome. Sword and Shield isn't bad either now I've done the training. Now I gotta choooose.

Qurupeke

Why you do the Three Virtue's quest when you have high thunder weakness.... People are really stupid some times. They won't even bother to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom