• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fought Stigyan zinogre for the first time tonight.

I'd prefer to be dropped alone into an arena with a Tigrex, a Nargacuga and a raging rathalos than to fight that thing again.

Ridley327

Fought Stigyan zinogre for the first time tonight.

I'd prefer to be dropped alone into an arena with a Tigrex, a Nargacuga and a raging rathalos than to fight that thing again.

I found it amusing that he shows up HR instead of G, like he did in 3U. He was G-rank-exclusive for good reason in that game.

Blitzhex

Completed my ultimate guard lance set.

Guard +2
Guard Boost
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploiter
Mind's Eye
Tremor Res (extra skill)

It looks like donkey ass though so I'm not even gonna bother posting a pic.
I love the killtimes, speed and mobility of evade lancing, but if you don't have dash juice you can get 1 shot at those super fast elder dragons. This guard is just rock solid and withstands anything.

PrankT

I feel like that you should just give up on Akantor as soon as there's even a little bit of lag. Everything gets so fucked up that it's impossible to keep track of it properly, leading to virtually invisible deaths.

He's the only monster I've had that kind of trouble with. I was busting some rhymes with the horn a good distance away from him while he was walking by and I suddenly died. Now I stay faaarrrr away.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Frenzy Crystals - I like the sound of these, I can basically multiply items like Frost Sac etc with those?

What's a good Fire SnS for HR? Everything I find either need G-Rank materials or has Negative Affinity.

Also, how much does affinity impact a Fast weapon such as SnS or DB, in both Raw damage and elemental damage?

Ken

Guard +2
Guard Boost
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploiter
Mind's Eye
Tremor Res (extra skill)

I love the killtimes, speed and mobility of evade lancing, but if you don't have dash juice you can get 1 shot at those super fast elder dragons. This guard is just rock solid and withstands anything.

What's the set if you don't mind sharing?

What's a good Fire SnS for HR? Everything I find either need G-Rank materials or has Negative Affinity.

Also, how much does affinity impact a Fast weapon such as SnS or DB, in both Raw damage and elemental damage?

Basically the same as positive infinity, but reverse. You have [affinity]% chance to do 75% damage instead of 125% damage.

A man said to the Desire Sensor, "I want a Rathalos Mantle." The Desire Sensor said, first remove "I", that's ego, then remove "want", that's desire. See now you are left with only a Rathalos Mantle.

la_briola

A man said to the Desire Sensor, "I want a Rathalos Mantle." The Desire Sensor said, first remove "I", that's ego, then remove "want", that's desire. See now you are left with only a Rathalos Mantle.

I did a charm run yesterday where you break his back and end via subquest, got a mantle as a reward. :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
iudHloCnr8hph.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought a new 3ds today and holy Christ, this game doesn't seem to exist. Can't find a single store in Houston that has it in stock

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Bought a new 3ds today and holy Christ, this game doesn't seem to exist. Can't find a single store in Houston that has it in stock
The desire sensor knows even your desire for the game. I wanted my hands to not hurt, but neither gamestop in town had a circle pad pro, so now I will not have comfort until friday.

krossj

yo, Chaotic Magala is not fun when you get disconnected from online, takes so long.

Thanks for the hunts people I was with.

The desire sensor knows even your desire for the game. I wanted my hands to not hurt, but neither gamestop in town had a circle pad pro, so now I will not have comfort until friday.

I searched for it all week, and even asked for it before the release date. The day before, I went to the local equivalent of GameStop to ask if they were going to have it the day after, but they told me it was delayed and they would get it on the first days of March!

I finally bought it on digital for about 15 USD less than a physical copy.

Here in my city, those who don't like Digital Versions are still waiting for the game...

JudgeN

Do you walk over to the tail and carve it?

....... Of course I carve it. The drop rate is like 50% on tail which is why i'm angry. I ended up with like 15 Rath Medulla 3 tails and 2 rubies.

I got them now, guess its time to grinding Shagaru Magala for his gem so I can upgrade my dragon hammer.

Lynx_7

Just bought this today since I've been interested in trying it for a while, it'll be my first MH experience. I'm already aware I'll have to spend like 60 hours before I even get the hang of the game, but I think I'm ready. lol
Unfortunately I don't have the money to spare on a N3DS, so I'll just be playing this on my lowly 3DS XL.

Anyway, time for the most cliche question ever: what's a good weapon for a beginner?
I'm currently leaning towards Dual Blades, Greatsword or Longsword. Maaaaybe Sword and Shield. Damn I hate having so many options.

Just bought this today since I've been interested in trying it for a while, it'll be my first MH experience. I'm already aware I'll have to spend like 60 hours before I even get the hang of the game, but I think I'm ready. lol
Unfortunately I don't have the money to spare on a N3DS, so I'll just be playing this on my lowly 3DS XL.

Anyway, time for the most cliche question ever: what's a good weapon for a beginner?
I'm currently leaning towards Dual Blades, Greatsword or Longsword. Maaaaybe Sword and Shield. Damn I hate having so many options.
LS was the first weapon that clicked for me. SnS is also good. GS forces you to learn the monsters, but IMO isn't a great starting weapon. But now I'm all about the insect glaive. Once you master gathering monster nectar, it's a beast in DPS, incredibly mobile, and super easy to use.

Ultrabum

I recommend greatsword.

Valus

I'd say Greatsword is beginner friendly. Super easy to use, not a whole lot of moves, but plenty of satisfaction for nailing those charge attacks. Just be prepared to roll/sheath a lot with it because you walk like a snail with it out.

Kinsei

Banned

Sword and Shield, Hammer, and Long Sword are pretty good beginner weapons. Once you finish the tutorial quests you unlock optional tutorials for every weapon.

Kinsei

Banned
That's surprising! You're one of the most knowledgeable people in here so I figured you'd also be one of the furthest.

It's cause I do every quest available before moving on to my next urgent. I could be G rank right now (I have my Ukanlos urgent), but I want to finish up all of the 7* guild hall quests first.

Prototype

Guard +2
Guard Boost
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploiter
Mind's Eye
Tremor Res (extra skill)

Very similar to the LN set I ran in 3U. Just exchange weakness exploit and tremor res for crit eye +3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom