• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

That's surprising! You're one of the most knowledgeable people in here so I figured you'd also be one of the furthest.

I think the MH veterans know that we've got a long wait until the next one, and are making 4U last. I only pushed to G rank over the weekend, and that's just because it seems like everyone in the IRC was way ahead of me.

Just bought this today since I've been interested in trying it for a while, it'll be my first MH experience. I'm already aware I'll have to spend like 60 hours before I even get the hang of the game, but I think I'm ready. lol
Unfortunately I don't have the money to spare on a N3DS, so I'll just be playing this on my lowly 3DS XL.

Anyway, time for the most cliche question ever: what's a good weapon for a beginner?
I'm currently leaning towards Dual Blades, Greatsword or Longsword. Maaaaybe Sword and Shield. Damn I hate having so many options.

I'm finding Greatsword and SnS compliment each other nicely. SnS for mobility and elemental effects, GS for pure punishing damage output.

LS was the first weapon that clicked for me. SnS is also good. GS forces you to learn the monsters, but IMO isn't a great starting weapon. But now I'm all about the insect glaive. Once you master gathering monster nectar, it's a beast in DPS, incredibly mobile, and super easy to use.

I like GS because of how effective just simple draw slashing can be at low rank. You get to run around with your weapon sheathed most of the time which helps you get out of bad positions you'll get in by not knowing the monsters patterns and where to stand ect. Also, as a weapon you can get away with pretty much a single all purpose high raw greatsword for basically the entire game. No need to worry about elements or phials or bug stats, just build a sword with good sharpness and high raw and it'll hunt anything.

I think where a newer player might slip with GS is trying to incorporate charge slashes and getting hit for it. Until you really know the monster, outside of huge obvious openings just draw slash and get out. Doing that consistently will get you through low and high rank with good times.

PrankT

Anyone hunting right now in the G-Rank?

I have my first G armor, and I'm ready to test it out.

Which one did you make? I'm on my second G set and already looking for the third since the first two are overused (Tetsucabra & Regios...but they are awesome)!

I want to make a Diablos set but not sure how to go about it yet.

PrankT

The point is that the chest piece has better skill points than the waist, so you can "substitute" them by using torso up instead of the waist.

You can use more than 1 torso up so it would work even with your boots workaround (they're not hard to make though?).
The chest has equal or better points in everything compared to the waist & boots that's why you can use torso up instead for both.

Thanks again for the tip. I made a lowly Chrome Metal Coil for the torso up waist and it along with the Regios X set (plus a charm) I get Evasion +2, Constitutn +2, Negate Bleeding, Horn Maestro, and Steady Hand. The Chrome Metal Coil is a lot easier to make and can still be upgraded to 117 defense, which is only 10 less than most G rank armors. I miss the earplugs I had, but I'll just make a horn that provides the same effect.

It's cause I do every quest available before moving on to my next urgent. I could be G rank right now (I have my Ukanlos urgent), but I want to finish up all of the 7* guild hall quests first.

Gotcha, that's pretty ambitious. I can imagine it's fun though.

I think the MH veterans know that we've got a long wait until the next one, and are making 4U last. I only pushed to G rank over the weekend, and that's just because it seems like everyone in the IRC was way ahead of me.

Yeah, it seems like everyone is playing through 4U quickly.

Then again, this is the first MH I've gotten at launch so maybe it's always like this.

jorgejjvr

Are you guys sure savage deviljho is high rank online? He was shown as one of the two monsters that would pop out of my G rank expedition. I'm guessing the only way to fight his G version is via guild quests?

-Alternis

Kyzon

Which one did you make? I'm on my second G set and already looking for the third since the first two are overused (Tetsucabra & Regios...but they are awesome)!

I want to make a Diablos set but not sure how to go about it yet.

Tetsu since it's green :)

Beats

Are you guys sure savage deviljho is high rank online? He was shown as one of the two monsters that would pop out of my G rank expedition. I'm guessing the only way to fight his G version is via guild quests?

-Alternis

Yeah, it can spawn in a lot of High Rank gathering hall quests and there's one 10* Caravan quest with it. Just use Felyne Gamechanger to get it to appear. Not sure about the guild quests for it though.

So... anyone want to do a Khezu hunt-a-thon? I've discovered a need for pearl glosshides. I also wanted to continue doing various G1/G2 quests, including keys and urgents if people need them.

Room:24-3439-5032-6695
Pass:1255

Juraash

Had a serious scrub moment today. Had a rare G-Rank expedition with Savage Jho and Ash Ketchum. So I stock up on healing items, traps etc and hop on in. Kept my A. Rath set on which has like -20 dragon resist and didn't eat to counter it. His breath one shot me so hard that I just noped right out of there. I really should've known better but I was to excited to try it out lol.

Live and learn, but I felt pretty dumb. Also I haven't solo'd a G-Rank Jho yet, I probably shouldn't have even tried it without having crafted G-Rank....something lol.

Kinsei

Banned
Gotcha, that's pretty ambitious. I can imagine it's fun though.

Yeah, it seems like everyone is playing through 4U quickly.

Then again, this is the first MH I've gotten at launch so maybe it's always like this.

It is fun. I've done it in every MH so far and it's always amusing to be accused of hacking for having gear you "shouldn't" have.

It is always like this. A bunch of people (usually newbies) always rush to G rank and then don't look back.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So uh...LBG + Ludroth armor = lolGravios

I want to build some better gunner armor and another LBG to have to try out on harder stuff. Any suggestions?

Leezard

So uh...LBG + Ludroth armor = lolGravios

I want to build some better gunner armor and another LBG to have to try out on harder stuff. Any suggestions?

The Rathalos line of LBGs is excellent. Also, the God's Isle or Demon's Isle if you luck out with an ancient shard/rust shard.

Fandangox

What weapon would be best to make a seregios one of?

I assume something like Greatsword may be better than something like Sword N Shield.

Loving this game so far. Only High Rank but I wonder what is a good evade set? Right now I'm running Tigrex with Azuroth legs to get Attack up XL and it works well so far but I want to try other weapons out, since I've been using mostly IG, DS, and CB. Trying out Switch Ax against the likes of Monoblos was fun since the sword doesn't bounce but since his lame ass was running around a lot, it made it annoying to sheath to catch up to him constantly and I noticed that my sidesteps don't go far enough or have enough iframes so I kept getting hit by the tail (But I still cut the damn things, that'll show that bastard to swing that thing around). Sometimes I noticed it was easier just to roll towards it then do the roll attack into a combo, instead of sheathing again if he wasn't too far, so I want to try a good evade set that can make me keep some of my offense or allow me to get sharpness+1 (I probably should have aimed for this a while ago instead of running with attack XL).

Leezard

Seil

What weapon would be best to make a seregios one of?

I assume something like Greatsword may be better than something like Sword N Shield.

I think for blademaster, the GS, Hammer and Hunting Horn are the most liked. Fast attacking weapons like the DS, SnS and IG eat sharpness too fast to make use of it really. The Gunlance may be worth considering since it gets more sharpness than the others, I guess to make up for shelling?

The Bow is great, LBG seems interesting, I dunno much about HBG in general so can't say there.

So i've played the entire gathering hall just with my girlfriend so far, we just wiped a few times against Dalamadur, truely awful boss fight, might have to get help on this

Seil

So i've played the entire gathering hall just with my girlfriend so far, we just wiped a few times against Dalamadur, truely awful boss fight, might have to get help on this

It's really not bad at all once you learn it. It's all predictable so it just becomes going through the motions. Superman dive(sheathe weapon, run and dodge away from monster) through the beam since the dive gives full invincibility frames.

But yeah, it's easy to die when you're still learning the fight, I triple carted on my first attempt x.x Now I only get hit due to doing stupid stuff or not paying attention lol.

It's really not bad at all once you learn it. It's all predictable so it just becomes going through the motions. Superman dive(sheathe weapon, run and dodge away from monster) through the beam since the dive gives full invincibility frames.

But yeah, it's easy to die when you're still learning the fight, I triple carted on my first attempt x.x Now I only get hit due to doing stupid stuff or not paying attention lol.

We found the fight really easy after the first attempt untill the last phase..... i've just watched the GH video for the last part, so we will be trying his safe position on the last part...Tonight final attempt we got to last phase and then carted 3 times

jorgejjvr

Monsters can kiss their tail goodbye once my Seditious Axe start swinging in sword mode.

I don't understand how people can do only raw power >.< something about that makes me feel uneasy. I'm an elemental guy, and I feel like I do massive damage when I use elemental phials from my charge blade against foes. How do you guys feel about your raw power? I'm curious.

Also, I can only say this because I have a Seregios weapon myself (that I never use), but how do you guys deal with that sharpness? It drops down every few seconds and the whole evading thing is only efficient on a few select weapons.

-Alternis

Fandangox

The LBG is amazing. The Hammer should also be good, and as you say GS should be good.

This is Gaijinhunters thoughts on all Seregios weapons:
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/102845065297/mh4g-seregios-g-rank-weapons-review

He thinks Bow, LBG and HH are the best Seregios weapons, but there are more good ones.

Actually may try Hunting Horn, of all my time with Monster Hunter I haven't actually put much time into that one.

I think for blademaster, the GS, Hammer and Hunting Horn are the most liked. Fast attacking weapons like the DS, SnS and IG eat sharpness too fast to make use of it really. The Gunlance may be worth considering since it gets more sharpness than the others, I guess to make up for shelling?

The Bow is great, LBG seems interesting, I dunno much about HBG in general so can't say there.

mmmh Gunlance, but I already have like 3 current Gunlances. Will try out the Steve HH, thanks.

Bastos

I was farming Oroshi Kirin caravan quest yesterday so I could craft the Emperor Greatsword, killed him two times,got two Icehorns and went to sleep, I needed just one more but the quest isn't here anymore ;_____; WHY

Shurayuki

Thanks again for the tip. I made a lowly Chrome Metal Coil for the torso up waist and it along with the Regios X set (plus a charm) I get Evasion +2, Constitutn +2, Negate Bleeding, Horn Maestro, and Steady Hand. The Chrome Metal Coil is a lot easier to make and can still be upgraded to 117 defense, which is only 10 less than most G rank armors. I miss the earplugs I had, but I'll just make a horn that provides the same effect.

Great, sounds really nice, good hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom