• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
managed to get a game today, my first monster hunter.

Is there no lock on ?

A lock on that keeps the camera centered on the monster at all times? No. That would be dreadful in a game where hitting the neck instead of the head could cause your death. There is however a feature when fighting boss monsters that centers the camera on them when you press L.

Tom_Cody

Is there no lock on ?
No permanent lock on but once you encounter a large monster, tap their icon on the bottom screen. After you are locked on in the icon, tapping L will center the camera on the monster.

The game deliberately keeps control of the camera separate from your control of the position of the character. Permanent auto lock on would completely change the gameplay.

When you see a large monster, you tap the monster icon on the lower screen. Then every time you tap the L button it focuses on them. I know it is very painful and annoying at first, but it makes sense later on when you're fighting 2-3 monsters at once, sometimes with little monsters and hazards at the same time.

There is, sort of. Once you see the monster, tap its icon on the bottom screen and press LR at any time to bring your view forward to the monster.

A lock on that keeps the camera centered on the monster at all times? No. That would be dreadful in a game where hitting the neck instead of the head could cause your death. There is however a feature when fighting boss monsters that centers the camera on them when you press L.

Thanks, got it. I tried to do those strikes where you hold the button, but it didn't work with a sword & shield.

Faiz

Did azure rath get a buff in 4 or something. I don't remember having this problem with him before. I just cannot stay out of his way and the number of times he's flown down on me sideways to poison claw me is infuriating.

Meffer

Is there no lock on ?

or do I unlock new gameplay elements by progressing in the game ?
There's no lock on. There is the target cam that moves where the monster is when you press L but it will not lock on. Honestly lock would ruin the game since it would difficult to break certain part with lock on.

Meffer

Did azure rath get a buff in 4 or something. I don't remember having this problem with him before. I just cannot stay out of his way and the number of times he's flown down on me sideways to poison claw me is infuriating.
Most monsters have new actions or moves they can do in 4.

tuffy

The homing claw attacks are much trickier than they used to be. I can usually spot when he hovers just before going in for a strike, but the timing to roll under the grab is hard to get right. I really had this right last time around, so avoiding those grabs has meant learning his new moves all over again.

So I beat all the Caravan stuff. I'm mostly a Sword and Shield or Insect Glaive user. So attack power is important.

So, what armor set should i use prior to going into the Gathering Hall and working on my way to getting to G Rank gear. So, i guess what im asking is, what sort of non-G Rank armor should i wear until i get to the G Rank armors.

lyrick

So I beat all the Caravan stuff. I'm mostly a Sword and Shield or Insect Glaive user. So attack power is important.

So, what armor set should i use prior to going into the Gathering Hall and working on my way to getting to G Rank gear. So, i guess what im asking is, what sort of non-G Rank armor should i wear until i get to the G Rank armors.

Whatever you used to get yourself through 9/10-star Caravan Quests will serve you just fine in the gathering hall too

Edit: Gunner would also basically be impossible with a pure lock-on perpetually readjusting orientation.

It would be nice though if, when you locked on as a gunner, your gun also locked onto it when it comes to the Y-Axis.
With this game comes more hills, and I find myself constantly having aim with R so that I'm not shooting too high or low.

Khrno

There's no lock on. There is the target cam that moves where the monster is when you press L but it will not lock on. Honestly lock would ruin the game since it would difficult to break certain part with lock on.

That's totally false, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace and Soul Sacrifice work great with lock-on and how you can target parts to break them with no problem at all. My memory is a little bit fuzzy on Toukiden so I can't ascertain on it.

Anyway, as good as MH games are, I've always thought no lock-on is completely bullshit when other games can do it very well.

tuffy

It would be nice though if, when you locked on as a gunner, your gun also locked onto it when it comes to the Y-Axis.
With this game comes more hills, and I find myself constantly having aim with R so that I'm not shooting too high or low.
There is an option for that. The L trigger lock-on and it can automatically adjust for height as well. There's another option for having the 1st-person scope point in the direction of the camera instead of the direction of the hunter. So bouncing the left trigger and then the right will have my gun pointed in the monster's general direction and I only need to do fine adjustment with the left pad to hit the nearest available weak spot.

Finally beat Akantor HR7 Solo!

Had to craft a Dragon SnS so I went with the S.Zinogre weapon, by upgrading it frome a, Bone Kris or something like that. Had to farm some Zinogres for a plate, and got two at the end (Which is good, since I need a lightning SnS too)

Akantor was hard, especially because I forgot to bring Cold Drinks, but managed to kill it at 28 min. Not too bad for a SnS newcomer I hope!

There is an option for that. The L trigger lock-on and it can automatically adjust for height as well. There's another option for having the 1st-person scope point in the direction of the camera instead of the direction of the hunter. So bouncing the left trigger and then the right will have my gun pointed in the monster's general direction and I only need to do fine adjustment with the left pad to hit the nearest available weak spot.

Holy balls, where are these options?! Been gunning since day one and did not know this!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Have you tried turning off what measure auto-adjustment for slopes it has, though? It's a total mess. I'm not sure what this is doing differently from 3rd person shooters to make it feel so inconsistent.

Edit: Yeah, I have things set up for the left-/right taps for scope view, but I still mostly use the quickaim or if the level/positioning is good for it, free shooting whenever possible.

Mupod

That's how I do it. I actually hardly ever used the lock-on in 3U, but I've gotten into the habit with this game. I'm constantly using it to help aim my gun.

Fandangox

Circle Pad Pros should work with any region right? I may as well get one, not really planning on getting a New 3DS
Unless they make an F-Zero for it.

oakenhild

I just started using SnS from hammers, and was wondering when I would want to use one of my element based weapons.

I have a Master Bang with Raw Damage of 210.
I have a Princess Rapier with 168 Raw, and 100 poison.

When would the princess rapier be a better option then the master bang? Any easy way to calculate this?

Sorry if this has been answered a million times before...

wiibomb

Why? The DLC quest that gives them out will be available on April 3rd.

there is a better G rank armor and weapon that can be made with the exact same materials, you can use them there, or if you don't mind, then use it and wait until April 3rd to get the rest

Pierate

Got this game today along with my new 3DS, having a lot of fun with it. Using SnS currently as it seems like a decent weapon to start out with as a newbie.
Looking forward to hunting some monsters online with fellow gaffers eventually.

Synless

How do you discover new paths for your palicio to do? I have had the Scylla equipment for some time and have yet to see anything new pop-up.

Leezard

I got one Zinogre hunt before going to bed, and the guys I joined really wanted to capture it despite them wanting Skymeralds. How sad.

Armaly

I hit HR7 and i'm trying to farm S. Magala with a friend to upgrade my hammer. The problem is the urgent quest is gone for some reason. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I could help with the 2* urgent. Wouldn't wish that solo on anyone.

I have Wide Range 2. -_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom