• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesekao

Hey guys, I just got to G-rank and after a few quests, it seems that my HR armor ain't gonna cut it. So, I made a new one and I'd like to know how long it will it last. I spend a whole lot of dosh making this set so I hope I made the right decision.

Main Weapon: Gunlance
Defense: 511
Skills: Attack Up (L), Guard +2, Guard Boost, Constitution +1

ilium

Hey guys, I just got to G-rank and after a few quests, it seems that my HR armor ain't gonna cut it. So, I made a new one and I'd like to know how long it will it last. I spend a whole lot of dosh making this set so I hope I made the right decision.

Skills: Attack Up (L), Guard +2, Guard Boost, Consitution +1

you should definitely upgrade it with armor spheres.

bobohoro

It's kinda OP. Also incredibly overused online, if that bothers you.

I give you the overused, that certainly is true. But so is Greatsword and noones holding that against it. :O

But I feel it isn't any more OP then most other weapons, honestly. You need to be pretty good at the game to get constant high damage with the CB and the danger of overcommitting is the death of many in G-Rank. If you have the phial/powerup-management down, know your guard points and when to switch between modes, then it becomes a force of nature. But pretty much every weapon destroys things once mastered.

Btw, randoms dying to Red Khezu on G-Rank left and right for me. SMH.

I admit, having armour with HGE and +30 thunder resist might cloud my judgement.

Skills: Attack Up (L), Guard +2, Guard Boost, Consitution +1

Hermitaur Set? Looks pretty fine. I'm thinking about making something similar too.

ilium

I did, each was upgraded with 1 hard and 3 heavies and that was the final defense I got.

hmm, ok. my gunner set has around 450 defense, so 511 seemed rather low to me.
but i guess this is supposed to be your g-rank-entry set, so i'd say you're good to go!

Mupod

Btw, randoms dying to Red Khezu on G-Rank left and right for me. SMH.

Last night before bed I did that rathian/red khezu mission. As a gunner I made damn sure not to get hit by anything so I have no idea how hard he hits in G rank. I don't want to find out, that Tiger Zamtrios one-shot was enough of a wake up call. Also getting slightly nudged by berserk tetsucabra did 2/3 of my hp. Ah yes, this is the G rank I remember.

Also I've been playing with randoms more often than I'd like lately. I'd say the biggest offenders for carting in G rank are definitely IG users. Do G monsters have a resistance to mounting or something? I keep seeing them spamming the jump attack but it's not always leading to knockdowns. I don't even go for it, if I mount a monster as HBG then it was an accident (I use the jump reload constantly).

Question: Gunners (or bow users more specifically archers), what armor/weapon sets did you use when fighting/farming Gore?

I am currently using the Nerscylla set and Gore's major attacks take about 30%-40% of my health during frenzy mode, so I need to stay at about 80% health at all times or else I am in danger of getting carted (two hits can happen in a flash). I am very strongly debating whether I should try to upgrade my armor now, or if I should just try to push through until I can craft the Gore set.

For my bow I am using the Blue Alighter (Zamtrios' bow).

I too used the Blue Alighter I, because I hadn't gone online yet so no Rathalos (Blue Alighter also has good raw, and Rapid!). I was wearing unupgraded low-rank Velociprey gear with Attack Up M. Frenzy state would two shot me, so it was all about reading Gore. Avoid avoid AVOID triggering it in Area 6, because you will likely die and he will not leave.

I think I ate for Temper. As others have said, virus is your friend. Charge up to max and use critical distance to maximize DPS, and pick your shots wisely. Think of it like a bullfight, or even a turn-based game.

EDIT: Seeing your below post I was probably remiss in my advice in the third sentence in the previous paragraph! You have bow essentials down pat.

Tom_Cody

Thank you so much for that youtube playlist, most helpful. One question I do have is, is the Charge Blade a good weapon? I'm liking the fact that it has a shield (defense, for a beginner), and a stronger damage dealing component...but I've read some people saying it lacks good combos or something.

Can you recommend a good beginner weapon that's competent down the road?
The game is fairly well balanced; there are no bad weapons, though not every weapon is suited to beginners. For example, Sword & Shield is one of the easiest weapons to pick up but it is my understanding that it is also the top pick for speed runners owing to its versatility with item usage. The right weapon for you will be the one you have the most fun with.

I spent a lot of time with the demo playing with different weapons and I found the Great Sword and Bow to be the easiest to pick up.

The Great Sword might seem slow at first but you are meant to constantly draw/strike in one motion, evade, and then re-sheath. Wash rinse repeat. It is a hit & away weapon. You can also charge into a draw for massive damage (and there are multiple ways to extend this into a combo if your target is incapacitated). I found it to be approachable since you can learn all of the mechanics fairly quickly and then focus on learning the monsters' movements. And landing a level 3 charge → level 3 strong charge → finish strike against a downed opponent just feels awesome, like hitting a grand slam.

The appeal of the Bow for me is that the extra range offers greater perception of what the monster is doing. With blade master weapons, I felt like I was sort of tangled in the monsters' trashing animations. With the bow I feel like I'm actually taking on the monster in a real fight. I also just find attacking with it to be very satisfying. Every arrow you fire gets attack bonuses for charge level, distance traveled / range, and hit zone. Each perfectly-landed arrow feels like an accomplishment. This is what high level bow play looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT1S4ywFSlg

It should be noted that it's hard to judge a weapon until you fully understand how it works. The Gaijin Hunter videos are perfect for learning the ropes of the weapons as well as understanding their core appeals, meaning why they are fun to play with.

Tom_Cody

I too used the Blue Alighter I, because I hadn't gone online yet so no Rathalos. I was wearing unupgraded low-rank Velociprey gear with Attack Up M. Frenzy state would two shot me, so it was all about reading Gore. Avoid avoid AVOID triggering it in Area 6, because you will likely die and he will not leave.

I think I ate for Temper. As others have said, virus is your friend. Charge up to max and use critical distance to maximize DPS, and pick your shots wisely. Think of it like a bullfight, or even a turn-based game.

Lol regarding triggering in Area 6. That sounds like hell on earth. For whatever reason he usually ends up triggering in Area 5 or 7. 5 is trouble for me due to all of the jumping animations that occur with the uneven ground. 7 is generally better since each step is fairly large, but I have carted more than once due to staggers related to him breaking the ground.

Regarding temper, I don't know what that does.

I agree regarding the bullfight comparison. That's exactly what it feels like. I'm fine when I can get him to continually charge. My deaths occur when I get trapped in corners or am subjected to stagger animations. There's not much of a margin of error when he can kill you in two hits.

lyrick

When I made my first Final tier weapon the armory guy told me that it's possible to further upgrade attack, defense or add life on hit to final tier - rank 8+ weapons, but no further information was given.

How is this done?

Leezard

When I made my first Final tier weapon the armory guy told me that it's possible to further upgrade attack or add life on hit to final teir - rank 8+ weapons, but no further information was given.

How is this done?

In the first menu at the smith, choose "Hone".

Shiina

Any tips for breaking Gore Magala's horns/feelers solo? He moves way too fast. Would mounting him a few times break them?

You can only damage his feelers when he's in frenzy, so wait until he goes into it and then try to mount him and you should be able to break at least one before you knock him out of frenzy.

R0ckman

*Sigh* was fighting red khezu game glitches out and he gets stuck somewhere trying to fly back into one of the caves, we see the paintball marker just sitting there frozen.

It's kinda OP. Also incredibly overused online, if that bothers you.

Try hammers out. It'll always be a high tier weapon in terms of damage output, and it teaches you good habits. First time you knock a monster out you'll understand why it's great. Just don't use the spin until you know what you're doing, use the charge pound until it falls over then use the triple pound combo when you can (X,X,X - easy to remember!).

MH really isn't about memorizing complex combos. It's more about being comfortable with the weapon's moveset in general.

Thanks for that. Given the sheer diversity of the weapons, I'll try to look for something else to use. The Hammer seems really solid, but I just find the weapon designs (for the hammer) to be rather dull.

I'm liking the Bow / Lance from the videos I'm currently seeing, although I've heard that ranged weapons should be avoid for new players.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
After a long, hard hunt with a bunch of friends, I managed to get the resources to craft the Rath Soul armour. Now I just need the sword and I'm all good.

tuffy

I'm liking the Bow / Lance from the videos I'm currently seeing, although I've heard that ranged weapons should be avoid for new players.
Ranged weapons are fine, even for new players. The game gives you a lot of free ammo/bow coatings when starting out in low rank and your lower defense is offset by a greater ability to see monster attacks coming and avoid them altogether. I learned how to play the game using nothing but the light bowgun, so I'm sure it's possible for anybody to get started that way.

Mupod

Thanks for that. Given the sheer diversity of the weapons, I'll try to look for something else to use. The Hammer seems really solid, but I just find the weapon designs (for the hammer) to be rather dull.

The problem with ranged weapons early on isn't mechanics so much as logistics. Ammo is expensive, and you often need to make multiple guns/bows. Not worth the headache until high rank, although they are a lot easier to use as 'main' weapons now because of item sets.

Lance is a fine starter weapon. I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around its movement, but if you start off with it, maybe it'll be better. You get every weapon at the start and there's convenient training missions - just try everything and play what you like.

ilium

Holy crap @ that level 3 GS charge heal. Might as well be a free max potion.

Power honing seems like a no brainer, which I suppose is why they made the other options pretty strong. If gunners get the full 60 defense that could be pretty helpful, divine blessing is nice too.

thing is, the raw multiplier for gunner weapons is low, so you will end with something like +25 more attack. that's not all that much actually.

Tom_Cody

You get a damage boost when you overcome the virus, which I'm sure you've seen. If you're not regularly overcoming the virus before the bar fills up, you might be doing something wrong. This is something all types of gunners have to deal with - you might be playing perfectly well mechanically, but if you bring the wrong tool for the job you won't get anywhere.

Sometimes shit happens (like being hit at a bad time, or having to back off and reload/sharpen) and you need to nulberry, but that shouldn't happen often. Like I said I don't know bows very well, in particular how charge levels work nowadays, so you might just be using something bad against Gore if your damage isn't good.

You need to knock him out of the rage mode or he'll be in it forever, which means you need to break his head. You need feelers anyways, right? As I said, fight dirty. Mount or traps if you have to. You're here to farm him, not prove something.
I 'overcame' the virus multiple times in the demo, but for some reason I haven't seen that message in the main game. As I said in another post, I constantly use nulberries when fighting Gore (like 2-3 per fight) so maybe I'm not understand why/when to use them. I thought that they just slowed the creep of getting infected by it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please remind me the mechanics about status effects again? Specifically:

Say I'm using poison (with a gun/bow). After the status effect actually kicks in (you see the bubbles above the monster head), do any of the following apply (or opposite)?

a) The "counter" resets at that point (in terms of determining if the effect kicks in).

b) You should stop trying to apply it, because while the status is in effect, the counter does not go up.

c) You should stop trying to apply the status effect, since it does not extend it/make it stronger.

I'm aware that status effects are harder to pull off the more you use them. I'm just wondering if I should just swap out my poison shots to save them for later, or should I just go all out and keep shooting until I run out.

Tom_Cody

To me it was ideal. The only real issue is what Mupod said about stocking ammo, but that situation isn't nearly as pronounced with the bow as the bow guns.

It's funny that you mention lance as that is the next weapon class that I want to get into. Partly because they look cool to use, but mostly for cutting tails.

Tom_Cody

Quick question about trapping:

So far I have only trapped quest monsters, and trapping them signals the end to the quest. What happens in other missions where defeating them doesn't instantly end the quest? Do I just leave them sleeping in the trap until I end the mission?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I 'overcame' the virus multiple times in the demo, but for some reason I haven't seen that message in the main game. As I said in another post, I constantly use nulberries when fighting Gore (like 2-3 per fight) so maybe I'm not understand why/when to use them. I thought that they just slowed the creep of getting infected by it.

You don't get a message when you overcome the virus. If the virus kicked in, there will be a little flame next to your bar. If you succeeded, the icon kind of looks like you've been poisoned.

So far I have only trapped quest monsters, and trapping them signals the end to the quest. What happens in other missions where defeating them doesn't instantly end the quest? Do I just leave them sleeping in the trap until I end the mission?

Yep.

tuffy

A trapped monster is effectively dead. In about a minute or so it'll vanish altogether and you'll get the rewards for it at the end of the quest.

Tom_Cody

You don't get a message when you overcome the virus. If the virus kicked in, there will be a little flame next to your bar. If you succeeded, the icon kind of looks like you've been poisoned.

Yep.

A trapped monster is effectively dead. In about a minute or so it'll vanish altogether and you'll get the rewards for it at the end of the quest.
They disappear after a little while.
Yup. Leave them there. The corpse might disappear but you'll get the rewards.
Thanks.

They disappear after a little while.

ilium

Can someone please remind me the mechanics about status effects again? Specifically:

Say I'm using poison (with a gun/bow). After the status effect actually kicks in (you see the bubbles above the monster head), do any of the following apply (or opposite)?

a) The "counter" resets at that point (in terms of determining if the effect kicks in).

b) You should stop trying to apply it, because while the status is in effect, the counter does not go up.

c) You should stop trying to apply the status effect, since it does not extend it/make it stronger.

I'm aware that status effects are harder to pull off the more you use them. I'm just wondering if I should just swap out my poison shots to save them for later, or should I just go all out and keep shooting until I run out.

when you successfully apply a status the counter goes up. you can't make the status last longer and you can't work towards the new status threshold while the status is still in effect. that means you should switch to another shot type and apply it again when it's gone.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
when you successfully applied a status the counter goes up. you can't make the status longer and you can't work towards the new status threshold while the status is still in effect. that means you should switch to another shot type and apply it again when it's gone.

That's what I needed to know. I figured as much, but I wasn't entirely sure.

My deaths occur when I get trapped in corners or am subjected to stagger animations. There's not much of a margin of error when he can kill you in two hits.

Temper increases damage while increasing arrow deviation. The latter shouldn't be a problem because of critical distance, though. Maybe try for Defender Hi.

Avoid getting trapped in the first place. Palicoes help a lot! Use both, or use neither (the latter so you can read better. The higher DPS of the former is nice, though).

Getting Frenzied in 6 is hell. That inferno attack is the worst. Rolling towards him seems unintuitive, but works most of the time. Hitboxes have been significantly improved starting last generation.

Mount, and bring pitfall traps to break horns! Lasts longer when exhausted. Alighter can use Exhaust Coating too. Perfect for mounting and pitfall. What I did was Power for a bit, then Exhaust, mounting when tired. Didn't get to use my traps.

If you're gunning for the Rathalos bow though, I'd be happy to help you farm online.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Yup. Leave them there. The corpse might disappear but you'll get the rewards.

The problem with ranged weapons early on isn't mechanics so much as logistics. Ammo is expensive, and you often need to make multiple guns/bows. Not worth the headache until high rank, although they are a lot easier to use as 'main' weapons now because of item sets.

Lance is a fine starter weapon. I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around its movement, but if you start off with it, maybe it'll be better. You get every weapon at the start and there's convenient training missions - just try everything and play what you like.

You've twisted my arm. I'll use the Hammer. The spin looks ridiculously fun. I barely know what I'm doing as it is, so having the added problem of logistics makes ranged stuff sub optimal for me.

On another note, I'm finding the controls pretty hard with the N3DSXL. With the MH4 videos I'm seeing, people seem to play / control the game as if it were a regular controller. I think my hands are just too damn big for the 3DSXL / N3DSXL

Victrix

*beard*
That's what I needed to know. I figured as much, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Actually I'm pretty sure poison is the one exception to that rule - it does continue to increase while the monster is poisoned, though it's threshold for getting repoisoned increases. So it's possible to chain poison back to back, which you can't do with para/sleep/ko.

On another note, I'm finding the controls pretty hard with the N3DSXL. With the MH4 videos I'm seeing, people seem to play / control the game as if it were a regular controller. I think my hands are just too damn big for the 3DSXL / N3DSXL

Look into ordering some grips. I can't play the game without them, MH has never been suited for handheld controls for me.

R0ckman

Is there a custom for making my feline look similar to the funky feline and giving him a fro? Would be perfect since I gave my main character a fro.

Tom_Cody

Temper increases damage while increasing arrow deviation. The latter shouldn't be a problem because of critical distance, though. Maybe try for Defender Hi.

Avoid getting trapped in the first place. Palicoes help a lot! Use both, or use neither (the latter so you can read better. The higher DPS of the former is nice, though).

Getting Frenzied in 6 is hell. That inferno attack is the worst. Rolling towards him seems unintuitive, but works most of the time. Hitboxes have been significantly improved starting last generation.

Mount, and bring pitfall traps to break horns! Lasts longer when exhausted. Alighter can use Exhaust Coating too. Perfect for mounting and pitfall. What I did was Power for a bit, then Exhaust, mounting when tired. Didn't get to use my traps.

If you're gunning for the Rathalos bow though, I'd be happy to help you farm online.
You and others have given me some good tips for my next stab at Gore. I think the main thing I need to focus on is trying to trap him while his horns are out.

I typically use Exhaust when starting out a fight. I hadn't even thought to use it while his horns are out.

Regarding the Rathalos bow, I was actually mistaken. It is the Rathian that is ahead of me in my Caravan Quests. And if I'm going to farm online, I might as well go straight to the Gore Magala. I'm free after 9 EST tonight. I've never played online with GAFers, but I might need to try to pop in here to ask for hunting partners.

Skrams

zlCfzTGSpJgtMzlyCH

First Try, No Lives Left, No Potions/Healing Items Left, Magic Pixel of Health, My Heart

All because I decided to go out swinging.

This is the first time I've had this much trouble with a monster and fuck was it hard. I thought I was going insane with what he was doing with the terrain. Now to kill him over and over for his sweet innards to make some rad armor and a cool greatsword. This is also my first MH, so this feels rad as hell.

Also is renaming Palicos a thing? I'm a bit bummed I stuck with the default name of Calico for the first one I recruited. I'll get another and rename him to something better, but would rather just rename the one I already have.

Tom_Cody

zlCfzTGSpJgtMzlyCH

First Try, No Lives Left, No Potions/Healing Items Left, Magic Pixel of Health, My Heart

This is the first time I've had this much trouble with a monster and fuck was it hard. I thought I was going insane with what he was doing with the terrain. Now to kill him over and over for his sweet innards to make some rad armor and a cool greatsword. This is also my first MH, so this feels rad as hell.

Also is renaming Palicos a thing? I'm a bit bummed I stuck with the default name of Calico for the first one I recruited. I'll get another and rename him to something better, but would rather just rename the one I already have.
Great work!

burgerdog

zlCfzTGSpJgtMzlyCH

L'Origine greatsword? That's a horrible GS, let me save you some time, do not craft it. Seregios or Cera are far superior weapons due to the huge difference in raw damage.

Fandangox

The shelling is much better in this game especially with the artillery skill and bombardier food skill. If you have a Wide type with those skills, all you need to do is spam the charge shot and regular shells. You don't even need to attack. Gunlance has always been slow, it's a tank weapon. The only move that got nerfed on the Gunlance is the poke move when you're shielding, they decreased the damage that move does.
The Gunlance has one of the best ledge attacks as well. If you press forward and X near a ledge you'll do that slam move, it's pretty powerful and you can follow up with a full burst or wyvern fire. It also loads your Gunlance with 1 shell.

I think they nerfed the Upwards strike "X+A" but yeah, the shelling is very good now, full bursts do very good damage with Artillery God and Bombardier from the Canteen, it eats through sharpness real quick, but Razor sharp helps with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom