• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of questions:
How exactly does one unlock the rainbow color? The one that constantly changes.

Anyone have some videos to a good charge blade user? (that's not just gajinhunters tutorial)

I bought a New XL last week and bought this with it on a whim just to have something that actually uses the new hardware. I'm shocked at how much I love this game, I bought the system for Zelda and have only put like half an hour into it because I've been playing this whenever I have time.

I have a few newb questions.

I heard this game was grindy but actually I've only fought one monster more than two times so far, fought Tetsucabra a few times to get it's armor set. Now, it seems like none of the other sets are really worth grinding for. I just got to the beach and and even the set associated with the thing you fight on the way over doesn't seem drastically better than the Tetsucabra set.

Is the Testucabra set good for a long time? Is there something I'm missing? What's the next set I should have my eye on?

Also, are some weapons just better than other at certain points of the story? I was using the Sword and Shield for awhile, and I liked it a lot due to its speed and mobility. I quickly got to the point where I need Rathian parts to upgrade it though, and hours later I still don't have access to that monster. On the other hand I was able to easily upgrade the Great Sword a couple more steps so I'm using that even though I prefer S&S.

Still feel like there's a lot of stuff I don't understand, but hunting and then wearing monsters is really addicting.

Don't worry, no weapon type is ultimately better than any other. Ultimately just try them all out, and stick with what you like! Personally, I'm an SnS user myself, and I can't even use other weapons, aside from maybe the bow. When you start getting rich and have more resources/money than sense (or are like me and just deal with being broke), you can start doing shit like this.

:) It's rather fun.

Just tried the Apex Deviljho arena quest. No healing items. Just health honed weapons

Good lord. Only broke Apex once. It moves so freaking much

Prototype

Ok I have time to play now.
If anyone has * GS weapon bias * Guild Quests for

Brachydios, Stygian Zinogre, Brute Tigrex, or Black Diablos

Would you please share the quest with me? I don't care what level, I will level it up myself.

Dreavus

Don't worry, no weapon type is ultimately better than any other. Ultimately just try them all out, and stick with what you like! Personally, I'm an SnS user myself, and I can't even use other weapons, aside from maybe the bow. When you start getting rich and have more resources/money than sense (or are like me and just deal with being broke), you can start doing shit like this.

Man it is so cool watching people who know exactly what they are doing in this game.

Shengar

Couple of questions:
How exactly does one unlock the rainbow color? The one that constantly changes.

Anyone have some videos to a good charge blade user? (that's not just gajinhunters tutorial)
In gaijinhunter's (yeah, I know) GP tutorial video, there is a link to a video of a Japan player soloing a Molten Tigrex using CB, showing off crazy GP that even me who does't use CB know it was a difficult stunt to pull.

Oh, here's a video of the said player soloing a Teostra, where he managed to GP an explosion
Ok I have time to play now.
If anyone has * GS weapon bias * Guild Quests for

Brachydios, Stygian Zinogre, Brute Tigrex, or Black Diablos

Would you please share the quest with me? I don't care what level, I will level it up myself.
I have it, G Rank, just opened the room and I'll be there

I just started GL because why not, looks like an interesting weapon. I am TERRIBLE with it. I can barely do anything. I have no issues with any weapon I've used so far, IG, Hammer, Bow and GS. I can't seem to do anything with this weapon. You guys have any tips? I tried watching gaijins vids, it still doesn't really make sense. I just want to feel the fluidity of this weapon.

I just started GL because why not, looks like an interesting weapon. I am TERRIBLE with it. I can barely do anything. I have no issues with any weapon I've used so far, IG, Hammer, Bow and GS. I can't seem to do anything with this weapon. You guys have any tips? I tried watching gaijins vids, it still doesn't really make sense. I just want to feel the fluidity of this weapon.
hold r:
-monster above you? tap x
-monster ahead of you? let go of R, tap forward + x

got more time? do the same stuff, but press A instead of x (keep holding R to auto load 1 bullet)

got five seconds? press r+a+x
wait 80 seconds, repeat

hold r:
-monster above you? tap x
-monster ahead of you? let go of R, tap forward + x

got more time? do the same stuff, but press A instead of x (keep holding R to auto load 1 bullet)

got five seconds? press r+a+x
wait 80 seconds, repeat

Lol, holy shit it's working, specifically the bolded part. I broke a part of the gore faster than I've seen in a while.

Lol, holy shit it's working, specifically the bolded part. I broke a part of the gore faster than I've seen in a while.
the other tips makes aknator super easy.

super high up? x+a to upswing, then hold r+a to shoot straight up repeatedly nonstop
do this non-stop below the snake guy when he's coiled around the mountain, don't jump on him.

other tips: get 20 artillery skill
get wide 3, easy way is making this one first then whatever: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/gunlance/ancient-gyrelance

tons of other stuff that isn't newb advice because I'm a newb with this thing again: some downward slam then A shoots all your bullets at once for massive damage

the reason why parts break easy is that explosions ignore defence. also why giant ice boss is easy, it's super super super high defense but low hp
(basically I started using gunlance in MH4 because of this thread to kill late game bosses: http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xnz48/psa_easily_soloing_dalamadur_in_20_minutes/ I used one in MH 3 but forgot everything about it)

You're in luck, Rathian is in the set of quests at that beach you just got to. Any way, weapon upgrades across types are pretty equally paced. This is because weapons across types generally use similar materials. For example if you have a rathian SnS, there's likely also a rathian long sword that can be acquired at the same time.

Now if you're asking if some weapons are out and out more suited for certain monsters, that's sometimes the case. You might find your kill times faster on one monster with a certain weapon than an equally upgraded other weapon. (This is assuming equal skill with both weapons).

Armors and skills really aren't going to matter much until high rank, and definitely in G rank. Tetsucabra and the high rank Tetsucabra S have been popular with a lot of GAFfers on the way up to G-rank because both sets are braindead easy to make and have decent defense/skills.

Wait, so this armor set could potentially take me all the way to the end game? That's kind of disappointing.

Good to know a S&S upgrade is coming up soon, hopefully I don't have to wait this thing for the next one.

I just kind of went on a spending spree the other night, I'd only been using S&S and since I hadn't upgraded it in awhile, I looked at The Man and it turned out I had the materials to make a decent hammer (looks like a flower), a really good Great Sword (which is my primary weapon now), and I was able to upgrade the Insect Glaive a few times. Still haven't messed around with IG, seems intimidating, and I didn't like the hammer. Had a lot of trouble landing the X,X,X combo, and just using the charge move over and over wasn't very fun.

Wait, so this armor set could potentially take me all the way to the end game? That's kind of disappointing.
tetsucabra in low rank then making tetsucabra S in high rank can take you all the way to G rank if you want to be as lazy as possible. it's perfectly fine to take your time and also make whatever you want. it's just good beginner advice that you can then add your own wants onto depending on your playstyle. it's not the best; tetsu is something you can make and use until you get what you really want.
Good to know a S&S upgrade is coming up soon, hopefully I don't have to wait this thing for the next one.
I don't know what's being said but I'll say that I've done almost all of MH4U as SNS, and I used Poison types (rathian line) all the way through. only in G rank did I get off my butt and start making other types.
Another fine choice (more in multi) is para, I hear, but never made/used one yet in MH4.

Leezard

I just kind of went on a spending spree the other night, I'd only been using S&S and since I hadn't upgraded it in awhile, I looked at The Man and it turned out I had the materials to make a decent hammer (looks like a flower), a really good Great Sword (which is my primary weapon now), and I was able to upgrade the Insect Glaive a few times. Still haven't messed around with IG, seems intimidating, and I didn't like the hammer. Had a lot of trouble landing the X,X,X combo, and just using the charge move over and over wasn't very fun.
Low rank tetsucabra isn't going to last you through the whole g rank or even high rank. That said, you can craft higher rank tetsucabra armor if you really want, later.

the other tips makes aknator super easy.

super high up? x+a to upswing, then hold r+a to shoot straight up repeatedly nonstop
do this non-stop below the snake guy when he's coiled around the mountain, don't jump on him.

other tips: get 20 artillery skill
get wide 3, easy way is making this one first then whatever: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/gunlance/ancient-gyrelance

tons of other stuff that isn't newb advice because I'm a newb with this thing again: some downward slam then A shoots all your bullets at once for massive damage

the reason why parts break easy is that explosions ignore defence. also why giant ice boss is easy, it's super super super high defense but low hp
(basically I started using gunlance in MH4 because of this thread to kill late game bosses: http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xnz48/psa_easily_soloing_dalamadur_in_20_minutes/ I used one in MH 3 but forgot everything about it)

Nice, these tips should help me against the S.Rath, he's giving me a hard time with the bow. Asshole just likes staying in the air, charging me then poisoning me. Keeps me on the run and my dps drops.

I ended up building the seregios GL, should I build a different GL or is this on sufficient enough for now? I'm only in high rank currently, so my options are limited.

Nice, these tips should help me against the S.Rath, he's giving me a hard time with the bow. Asshole just likes staying in the air, charging me then poisoning me. Keeps me on the run and my dps drops.

I ended up building the seregios GL, should I build a different GL or is this on sufficient enough for now? I'm only in high rank currently, so my options are limited.
I don't know why or what they even do, but all suggestions say you want (Wide) type gunlances. the one I linked should be easy because it's all gathering items to make it.

SkyOdin

I bought a New XL last week and bought this with it on a whim just to have something that actually uses the new hardware. I'm shocked at how much I love this game, I bought the system for Zelda and have only put like half an hour into it because I've been playing this whenever I have time.

I have a few newb questions.

I heard this game was grindy but actually I've only fought one monster more than two times so far, fought Tetsucabra a few times to get it's armor set. Now, it seems like none of the other sets are really worth grinding for. I just got to the beach and and even the set associated with the thing you fight on the way over doesn't seem drastically better than the Tetsucabra set.

Is the Testucabra set good for a long time? Is there something I'm missing? What's the next set I should have my eye on?

Also, are some weapons just better than other at certain points of the story? I was using the Sword and Shield for awhile, and I liked it a lot due to its speed and mobility. I quickly got to the point where I need Rathian parts to upgrade it though, and hours later I still don't have access to that monster. On the other hand I was able to easily upgrade the Great Sword a couple more steps so I'm using that even though I prefer S&S.

Still feel like there's a lot of stuff I don't understand, but hunting and then wearing monsters is really addicting.

For the most part, you can probably get by using a single set of armor through the entire set of low-rank missions. Tetsucabra is a nice set of early game armor thanks to its boosted Defense skill. I've been using it myself for most of my missions. Since you can continue upgrading armor using armor spheres, a set of armor can last you a long time.

Now, I've ended up collecting a lot more sets of armor than just one mostly because I enjoy collecting armor. Certain sets of armor will have more appropriate elemental resistances and skills for dealing with certain monsters than other sets of armor, but you don't need the perfect suit of armor for the occasion in order to win low-rank hunts. Though do keep in mind that you might need a second armor set if you want to use a bowgun or bow.

You can beat most monsters with most weapons, but it never hurts to have a decent variety of weapons in my opinion. Some monsters are obviously more vulnerable to some elemental attacks than others, for example. You can figure out what a monster is weak to by checking the elemental resistances and vulnerabilities of the armor you can make from their parts.

Now, that Sword and Shield you have is probably still plenty good to use. Weapons in Monster Hunter are grouped in tiers of power, where weapons of the same tier are roughly equivalent in power to weapons of other types that are at the same tier. For example, a purple Sword and Shield is roughly on par with any other purple Great Sword. There are upgrades within those tiers, but as long as the two weapons are in the same general place in their upgrade paths you can treat them as mostly equivalent. The listed attack power numbers in particular are deceptive, since slower, harder-hitting weapons always have more listed power than faster-swinging weapons.

If you want to use a Sword and Shield though, don't be afraid to buy or make a new base one and upgrade it along a different path. The upgrade paths branch heavily, and some of those paths will upgrade unevenly from each other. Some will skip tiers, while others have a wider variety of branching options.

The big difference between different armor sets lies in their different skills, and skills are important. A set of Tetsucabra armor can get you through the game, but as the odds against you increase, there will be times that it will hold you back. After all, Tetsucabra gear is vulnerable to water and lightning attacks, and it notably lacks skills that boost the effectiveness of weapons. While you can get by with almost anything, the right weapons, armor, and skills can make fights a heck of a lot easier. For example, nothing is nicer than having armor that makes you immune to poison when fighting monsters that use lots of poison.

Some armor boosts the power of elemental attacks. Other suits of armor reduce the recoil of bowguns. Others let you do random things like eat raw meat. Man suits of armor also have significant draw-backs. What armor sets you get will define your playstyle just as much as your weapon choice.

If you want to use a Sword and Shield though, don't be afraid to buy or make a new base one and upgrade it along a different path. The upgrade paths branch heavily, and some of those paths will upgrade unevenly from each other. Some will skip tiers, while others have a wider variety of branching options.
my biggest SNS tip is learning the correct combo.

at the correct spot: R+x, x, x, a, a (do nothing + repeat or roll or block)
not there yet: x+a (it's a forward lunge), x, x, a, a (do nothing + repeat or roll or block)

at any point in this combo you can roll or use an item if needed

Woah, I had no idea about that. Thanks, I probably will go back and make a new SaS then. I haven't been consulting a guide or anything, I figured there was only one path so whenever I've had a choice I've always just held out until I have the materials for the more expensive of the two thinking I was "skipping" the other one.

Thanks for the responses guys. Another thing Ive been wondering about is, when I look at a weapon's attack, like my current SaS has 140 attack, is that the damage it does with green sharpness, or is that like "normal" damage at yellow sharpness and green gives a bonus? Doesn't matter that much anyway, it seems like I'm at the point now where anything less than green just bounces off, but I was curious.

Also, how powerful do you become at the end? Like, can you eventually go back and one-shot a Great Jaggi? Or is skill always more important than how much damage you can deal?

my biggest SNS tip is learning the correct combo.

at the correct spot: R+x, x, x, a, a (do nothing + repeat or roll or block)
not there yet: x+a (it's a forward lunge), x, x, a, a (do nothing + repeat or roll or block)

at any point in this combo you can roll or use an item if needed

The second one is what I use 90% of the time. That x+a move is awesome, it's the reason the SaS is my favorite so far.

I didn't even know R+a was a move, I thought x+a was the only button combo that did anything. I've have to check that out the next time I play.

Am I right in thinking that the back+a charge move is worthless? You can fit like two or three regular strikes in the time it takes to charge, and it's a lot more likely to miss unless the monster is asleep or stunned.

yami4ct

Music is reserved for fights with bosses (besides one named Khezu). It only plays during active combat once the monster has seen you. It stops when the monster leaves the screen (or you do) and picks up again once you've resumed fighting.

Most bosses even have a unique theme.

Holy shit. I've played over 200 hours of Monster Hunter and never consciously realized this was a thing. I subconsciously always react to that, but never actually realized only areas with the boss have music.

jaosobno

How is attack power calculated for Charge Blade? For example, my newly forged Kaiser Blade has 432 attack. Is that the value for sword mode or axe mode? (I guess the same question goes for Switch Axe).

I'm thinking about using SnS. Can you break monster's head and stun it when using Shield Bash attack? Can the sword cut tails, or do i need a bigger weapon for that?

Also, how powerful do you become at the end? Like, can you eventually go back and one-shot a Great Jaggi? Or is skill always more important than how much damage you can deal?
with basic g rank stuff I did some high rank things called hunt-a-thon kechawecha, and hunt-a-thon tetsucabra (and some others). You kill a monster, and it respawns and you can keep killing them until you're bored and end quest.

I was killing kechawecha in about a minute. tetsu sometimes got to limp away to the next zone so about 2 minutes for him

oh and I remember some guy posting about how he tries to one shot g jaggi each game version, so yeah I guess it's possible

It's a weird thing, in 3U I never had much issues knocking down Los and Ian from the sky with my charge shots from the gunlance but in this game I almost never get those knock downs and it makes me sad. I wonder if not having any artillery skills is the difference?

This game is so charming

Must have played for over 2 hours, only done the first Caravan challenge, just been exploring the menus and areas. Seems you can redo challenges, is that just for a bit of easy money?

If you fail an optional quest, is it gone for good?

How is attack power calculated for Charge Blade? For example, my newly forged Kaiser Blade has 432 attack. Is that the value for sword mode or axe mode? (I guess the same question goes for Switch Axe).
every attack has a motion value, which is basically %. This attack is 10 motion so does 10% of your 432 attack. this attack is 20 motion (20%), etc.

I'm thinking about using SnS. Can you break monster's head and stun it when using Shield Bash attack? Can the sword cut tails, or do i need a bigger weapon for that?
the shield bash is blunt (stun/exhaust) damage but it's so small you don't really use it unless stunning kelbi for 100% horn drops. yes everything else is cutting damage which can cut off tails or whatever.

Holy shit. I've played over 200 hours of Monster Hunter and never consciously realized this was a thing. I subconsciously always react to that, but never actually realized only areas with the boss have music.

Yeah, it's something I really love about the series. More specifically it's like, if a boss can see you, there's music. You'll notice the music also stops when you put something to sleep.

Thanks for the responses guys. Another thing Ive been wondering about is, when I look at a weapon's attack, like my current SaS has 140 attack, is that the damage it does with green sharpness, or is that like "normal" damage at yellow sharpness and green gives a bonus? Doesn't matter that much anyway, it seems like I'm at the point now where anything less than green just bounces off, but I was curious.

Sharpness is a multiplier for raw damage and also dictates which parts of a monster you can cut through.

Yellow sharpness is 100% raw damage.
Green = 105%
Blue = 120%
White = 132%
Purple = 145%

This is why it's a good idea to keep your sharpness topped off with whetstones even if you're not fighting something where you bounce off a lot.

Edit: Should add sharpness affects element too, with the following values:

Yellow: 75%
Green: 100%
Blue: 106.25%
White: 112.5%
Purple: 120%

Cerity

Raw damage isn't split between sword or axe mode, each weapons attacks has a 'motion value' which determines the damage dealt.

If you want to learn more about the damage formula
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/73946102476/mh4-how-damage-calculation-works-simplified

Motion values for each attack
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/92814625497/mh4-understanding-motion-values

tl;dr: The raw damage shown is divided by a factor depending on the weapon, then multiplied by the attacks motion value (in %) and multiplied again by the physical effectiveness of the attack on the monster (in % again).

jaosobno

every attack has a motion value, which is basically %. This attack is 10 motion so does 10% of your 432 attack. this attack is 20 motion (20%), etc.

the shield bash is blunt (stun/exhaust) damage but it's so small you don't really use it unless stunning kelbi for 100% horn drops. yes everything else is cutting damage which can cut off tails or whatever.

Raw damage isn't split between sword or axe mode, each weapons attacks has a 'motion value' which determines the damage dealt.

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/73946102476/mh4-how-damage-calculation-works-simplified

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/92814625497/mh4-understanding-motion-values

tl;dr: The raw damage shown is divided by a factor depending on the weapon, then multiplied by the attacks motion value (in %) and multiplied again by the physical effectiveness of the attack on the monster (in % again).

Thanks! I guess it's more complex than I thought. I'll see what Gaijin Hunter wrote about it.

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/...rks-simplified

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/...-motion-values

These links are a good read. Since you're asking specifically about Charge Blade, take notice that the directly-into-axe-mode-draw attack has almost DOUBLE the motion value of drawing as sword (41 vs 22), plus the huge forward reach. Thus it's actually a good idea to always draw as axe for a quick bit of big damage even if you immediately press R to transition back into sword for mobility/safety/phial charging. It takes almost no extra time and you get the guard point at the end of the transition to sword.

yami4ct

Yeah, it's something I really love about the series. More specifically it's like, if a boss can see you, there's music. You'll notice the music also stops when you put something to sleep.

Sharpness is a multiplier for raw damage and also dictates which parts of a monster you can cut through.

Yellow sharpness is 100% raw damage.
Green = 105%
Blue = 120%
White = 132%
Purple = 145%

This is why it's a good idea to keep your sharpness topped off with whetstones even if you're not fighting something where you bounce off a lot.

That Music going to sleep bit is so damn cool. For as obtuse as it is, Monster Hunter is sometimes so fantastic with subtle cues you can just intuit. Also, I should learn more about the damage formula because it's fascinating.

That Music going to sleep bit is so damn cool. For as obtuse as it is, Monster Hunter is sometimes so fantastic with subtle cues you can just intuit. Also, I should learn more about the damage formula because it's fascinating.

One final thing I like to think about is how, if you have two monsters on screen at once (for example: Rathalos and Seregios):

Both of these monsters have two unique themes, but if they're both on screen at once (specifically NOT in Arena quests since arena has its own theme), Seregios's theme plays. If Seregios leaves the screen but Rathalos stays, Rathalos's theme takes over.

I've never paid close enough attention to tell for sure, but I wonder if whichever monster's theme is "dominant" is Capcom implying that as far as ecology, that monster is dominant over the one whose theme isn't playing.

yami4ct

One final thing I like to think about is how, if you have two monsters on screen at once (for example: Rathalos and Seregios):

Both of these monsters have two unique themes, but if they're both on screen at once (specifically NOT in Arena quests since arena has its own theme), Seregios's theme plays. If Seregios leaves the screen but Rathalos stays, Rathalos's theme takes over.

I've never paid close enough attention to tell for sure, but I wonder if whichever monster's theme is "dominant" is Capcom implying that as far as ecology, that monster is dominant over the one whose theme isn't playing.

I could go on for ages about how freaking awesome the Monster Hunter ecology is. It's so damn cool. The natural world is so fleshed out and makes a ton of sense, and none of these details are important at all to playing the game. Such small details are so cool.

with basic g rank stuff I did some high rank things called hunt-a-thon kechawecha, and hunt-a-thon tetsucabra (and some others). You kill a monster, and it respawns and you can keep killing them until you're bored and end quest.

I was killing kechawecha in about a minute. tetsu sometimes got to limp away to the next zone so about 2 minutes for him

oh and I remember some guy posting about how he tries to one shot g jaggi each game version, so yeah I guess it's possible

Ugh, the running away is the single thing I don't like about this game. When I fought the spider and baboon monsters they each run what felt like close to five or six times. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but hunts are only taking me 10-15 minutes which isn't too long, just wish they weren't so flighty. I'm pretty good about it now, but especially when I was still learning the basics and would forget to use a paintball it was extremely frustrating and boring to run around trying to find them again.

jaosobno

These links are a good read. Since you're asking specifically about Charge Blade, take notice that the directly-into-axe-mode-draw attack has almost DOUBLE the motion value of drawing as sword (41 vs 22), plus the huge forward reach. Thus it's actually a good idea to always draw as axe for a quick bit of big damage even if you immediately press R to transition back into sword for mobility/safety/phial charging. It takes almost no extra time and you get the guard point at the end of the transition to sword.

Yeah, this is what I usually do:

Run around --> draw into axe and smack the monster few times --> morph to sword --> go for red charge --> sheathe the weapon --> run around --> draw into axe mode/smack monster --> transfer phials to shield --> go for red charge again (so that both my blade and shield are fully charged) --> and then I mostly attack with axe since red shield gives you 20% more attack power. I use elemental attack only if monster is down, never when it's alive and running around.

What would you guys suggest is a good early high rank armor set? Currently using the Gore/Ceanataur set that gives +1 Sharpness and +1 Speed Sharpening but I feel like im dying way to easily now and I just got to HR.

What would you guys suggest is a good early high rank armor set? Currently using the Gore/Ceanataur set that gives +1 Sharpness and +1 Speed Sharpening but I feel like im dying way to easily now and I just got to HR.

If you're just looking for something to tide you over early on in high rank, lots of GAFfers have been doing Tetsucabra S, Velociprey S, or Jaggi S. They're all pathetically easy to make and you can ditch them as soon as you see a high rank armor with skills you like better.

Kinsei

Banned

Mono S is good. AUXL & Adrenaline +2 with no downsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom