• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pila

Yay, finally HR5. G rank dude (sporting a very funny bananas shout^^) joined the quest, maybe he was a gaffer from my friend list? Thanks mate if you're reading this post. =)

Took me 40 mins to solo online M. Tigrex with a bow. I went in with a Pierce 5 water bow but I think on subsequent runs I'll ditch Load Up and just use Rapid 4. Pierce seems good if you can consistently shoot him length-wise but pretty meh otherwise.

Took me all the coatings I had and then a ton of time with no coatings. Got a sleep, para, and 2 poisons off, and both traps while he was exhausted, and it still feels like it took me way too long. Maybe switching to Rapid will help me, though I think it'll be a bit less safe. Then again without Load Up maybe I can grab Evade skills. He's a pain without at least Evade Distance it seems.

Gonna find out, since I need his parts to upgrade the Seregios Hammer and the Greatsword.

Mupod

Assuming you've played Tri and have MH3U, is there any reason to play MHP3?

Do you really, really hate Tigrex and want to see him in his most pathetic form?

Other than that, if you've played 3U and own 4U I can't think of any real reason to play it. I've seen videos of people somehow playing the PS3 HD port of it on an emulator, and it does look nice. But not any better than 3U, so I don't know why I'd ever go to the trouble.

Well that was easy. Had pretty much everything I needed outside of a few Teostra cortexes, a Diablos Hardhorn (which I got on the first try) and doing an advanced quest to unlock Jhen Mohran parts.

6bNQWC1.jpg

The set gives me

Sharpness +1
Critical Draw
Focus
Sheath Control
Tremor Resist

The real question is, is it too ugly to use? The GS clipping through the cape is already making me sad.

ilium

Well that was easy. Had pretty much everything I needed outside of a few Teostra cortexes, a Diablos Hardhorn (which I got on the first try) and doing an advanced quest to unlock Jhen Mohran parts.

The set gives me

Sharpness +1
Critical Draw
Focus
Sheath Control
Tremor Resist

The real question is, is it too ugly to use? The GS clipping through the cape is already making me sad.

I'd wear that.
And i'm really picky about Fashion Hunter.

cheesekao

Took me 40 mins to solo online M. Tigrex with a bow. I went in with a Pierce 5 water bow but I think on subsequent runs I'll ditch Load Up and just use Rapid 4. Pierce seems good if you can consistently shoot him length-wise but pretty meh otherwise.

Took me all the coatings I had and then a ton of time with no coatings. Got a sleep, para, and 2 poisons off, and both traps while he was exhausted, and it still feels like it took me way too long. Maybe switching to Rapid will help me, though I think it'll be a bit less safe. Then again without Load Up maybe I can grab Evade skills. He's a pain without at least Evade Distance it seems.

Gonna find out, since I need his parts to upgrade the Seregios Hammer and the Greatsword.
Why didn't you just do the caravan one?

The set gives me

Sharpness +1
Critical Draw
Focus
Sheath Control
Tremor Resist

I'm sporting the HR version of that (minus the Focus skill), and esthetically it makes me sad :(

membran

I just found out about the new Great Sword swipe finisher (copies the last charge level of a preceeding strong charge, but without the need for charging) and now I feel like I have to go back to Great Sword, which was my go-to weapon back in Tri. You don't even neccessarily need CritDraw on GS anymore, which is neat.

ilium

That set definitely have good looks. Shape matched up just fine, only the color that quite mixbag but since the torso have cape on it, it would covered all the time.

I think the red, blue and yellow goes together rather well. It's a pretty common color scheme actually. And the helmet gives a pretty badass look on top.

"Are you staring at my blues pants?!" >:|

Overside

Banned
So... Im still the only one who had no issue playing, and in fact... Enjoyed the underwater battles in tri/3u. The lock on in 3U made under water approaches easier than using dual analogs... Im not crazy, you have to believe me! Its truuuueeee!!!

Faiz

So... Im still the only one who had no issue playing, and in fact... Enjoyed the underwater battles in tri/3u. The lock on in 3U made under water approaches easier than using dual analogs... Im not crazy, you have to believe me! Its truuuueeee!!!

It improved the experience but I still didn't enjoy it.

Honestly I tend to dislike most attempts at underwater combat in games.

So what's the highest lvl wystones available? I currently can choose from 4 lvl2 wystones. Do they get any stronger than that or is lvl2 the max?

Fandangox

Well I mean I didn't hate it, but its not like I am missing it's absence either.

ohlawd

I don't care. I miss underwater combat ;_;

So what's the highest lvl wystones available? I currently can choose from 4 lvl2 wystones. Do they get any stronger than that or is lvl2 the max?

that's it

four level 2 stones and being able to hold two at a time is all

Parshias7

I didn't really mind it, but I can't say I really liked it either. The biggest loss from cutting underwater combat is never being able to fight cool monsters like Lagiacrus and Gobul ever again.

Shengar

That's all available. Last quest from The Professor should enable to bring two Wystones at once.
Well I mean I didn't hate it, but its not like I am missing it's absence either.
I know Flooded Forest underwater fight is ultra horrible, but I really miss Lagiacrus.

Fandangox

That's all available. Last quest from The Professor should enable to bring two Wystones at once.

I know Flooded Forest underwater fight is ultra horrible, but I really miss Lagiacrus.

I am pretty sure there was a land-only Lagiacrus fight in 3U, wonder if they could have made that work with the regular Lagiacrus in 4U.

Faiz

I didn't really mind it, but I can't say I really liked it either. The biggest loss from cutting underwater combat is never being able to fight cool monsters like Lagiacrus and Gobul ever again.

I will say I enjoyed the Gobul fights more than the Lagi fights. The smaller size and shallower water felt a lot more manageable to me.

Shengar

I am pretty sure there was a land-only Lagiacrus fight in 3U, wonder if they could have made that work with the regular Lagiacrus in 4U.
Ivory Lagiacrus is more land based subspecies of it, but I guess beside it feels strange to only have the subspecies, there isn't really any place in MH4U that could fit them ecologicaly.

Ivory Lagiacrus is more land based subspecies of it, but I guess beside it feels strange to only have the subspecies, there isn't really any place in MH4U that could fit them ecologicaly.

Nope, it was definitely a sea monster through and through - would not make sense in MH4 at all. That was like the main "thing" of MH3U was how much the water was involved in it; sort of like the "thing" of this one is leaping and inclines and cliffs.
All I'll say is, the Kindred Hunter is going to have some major knee problems later in life with all that landing on his feet he's done.

Parshias7

Wonder why they removed Wroggi, loved the armor and the jungle would have worked for it.

Maybe its because I only played 3/3U, but I feel like the -dromes are just lamer versions of the Great Jaggi/Wroggi/Baggi we got in the third gen. Its weird that they brought Great Jaggi back then dumped his brothers for the crappy old models.

They were great. Except for the tight ass corridors in the swamp.
Ceadeus story fight > any ,,event''-fight in MH4 singleplayer.

R0ckman

Maybe its because I only played 3/3U, but I feel like the -dromes are just lamer versions of the Great Jaggi/Wroggi/Baggi we got in the third gen. Its weird that they brought Great Jaggi back then dumped his brothers for the crappy old models.

Yeah, they're really annoying too.

Venfayth

I just picked this up, my first MH game, but people described it as having soulsy combat, so I wanted to give it a shot.

I'm trying to just kinda play on my own terms without seeking out too much outside information, but due to the aura this game has in the gaming community I'm also a little worried I'm making some not-obvious mistakes that will make things suck for me in the long term. I'm just going to describe how I'm playing and I'd love for people to tell me if I'm doing anything massively wrong:

I just did the first 3 star hunt (forgot what they were called) and unlocked the second area. I just killed the tetsucabra which let me upgrade my long sword to an aikuchi. I've gone out of my way to farm some armor: Jaggi helm/mail/greaves, konchu vambraces, seltas faulds. Really, I'm just taking a look at the upgrade list and trying to make the best stuff I can, and I'll go out of my way to repeat hunts and quests to get it.

The tetsucabra fight was by far the hardest so far, I had to use a ton of potions to survive and my poor catlings died a ton, but I made it through ok. I haven't touched the MP yet either, just progressing on my own terms since I'm playing mostly at work and have to take lots of breaks.

Does it seem like I'm missing anything important? Am I wasting my time by repeating quests to farm materials to get the available upgrades or is that the whole point?

tuffy

You're not the only one. The dromes feel very simple and primitive in a way that something like Tigrex does not; they just don't have much personality.

I also would've rather had Gigginox/Baleful Gigginox back since it there seems like an overabundance of two-legged chubby wyverns like Khezu.

Valus

I just found out about the new Great Sword swipe finisher (copies the last charge level of a preceeding strong charge, but without the need for charging) and now I feel like I have to go back to Great Sword, which was my go-to weapon back in Tri. You don't even neccessarily need CritDraw on GS anymore, which is neat.

Everyone still uses crit draw & Cera, though. Nothing has changed for GS users, despite the new mechanic.

I just did the first 3 star hunt (forgot what they were called) and unlocked the second area. I just killed the tetsucabra which let me upgrade my long sword to an aikuchi. I've gone out of my way to farm some armor: Jaggi helm/mail/greaves, konchu vambraces, seltas faulds. Really, I'm just taking a look at the upgrade list and trying to make the best stuff I can, and I'll go out of my way to repeat hunts and quests to get it.

You should aim for an unified armor set. Best way to learn how armor skills work when you are starting. Popular choices for beginning the game are velocidrome armor (via expeditions) for attack bonus or tetsucabra armor for defense buffs.

Victrix

*beard*
Does it seem like I'm missing anything important? Am I wasting my time by repeating quests to farm materials to get the available upgrades or is that the whole point?

Nope, you can't miss or mess anything up in MH.

You can repeat quests freely if you need materials (and you need to, to farm big monsters for their parts).

You do not have to do every quest at every tier to progress, generally just the big kill quests will bump you up to the next urgent quest, so don't feel you need to do boring gather type quests unless you need/want them.

This is a deep, complicated game, so odds are you're making the game harder on yourself by avoiding outside info, but as long as you're having fun, that's all that matters. If you get really stuck, just ask here or look online, there's massive amounts of info out there.

Neku054

Neo Member

From my experience with MH players people who started before tri/3U do not like the under water combat or can live without it ever coming back, while those who started with tri/3U enjoy the underwater combat and are sad that it's gone.

I feel like I've done that move accidentally, but I'd like to start doing it on purpose! If you could link me to somewhere that explains how to do it I'd really appreciate it.

Venfayth

Thanks for the responses. I'm kind of overwhelmed by the number of random items I get from the field that I'm not using whatsoever. Should I be experimenting more with crafting random stuff together?

Victrix

*beard*
Thanks for the responses. I'm kind of overwhelmed by the number of random items I get from the field that I'm not using whatsoever. Should I be experimenting more with crafting random stuff together?

Use the combination list to mix them, you can find all the combos that way

Quick question: to get Rajangs Ghoulish horn you need to break both horns?

The first Furious Rajang has 40% chance for ghoulish, 60% chance for horn+ if you break both horns.

After a few solo runs of this, I said fuck it.

From my experience with MH players people who started before tri/3U do not like the under water combat or can live without it ever coming back, while those who started with tri/3U enjoy the underwater combat and are sad that it's gone.

I've been playing since MH1 in 2004 and I loved underwater combat.

Xater

Guys I just bought a new 3DS and MH4U to get back into hunting. Is there a friend code collection for people here or something?

ilium

No. As already mentioned, you should go for complete armor sets first. in order to activate armor skills you need at least 10 points in it. Every armor part gives different boni to certain skills. If you mix and match without a plan you will end up without any armor skill at all. Now, this might not be huge problem in Low Rank, but it will get really important later on.
The Tetsucabra set is a great beginner armor if you find yourself getting hit a lot and want some extra def. Velocidrome is perfect if you want more damage.

edit: i think i totally misunderstood your question. yes, you should just craft random stuff together, to see the results at the Combo List tab. sorry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom