• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and others have given me some good tips for my next stab at Gore. I think the main thing I need to focus on is trying to trap him while his horns are out.

I typically use Exhaust when starting out a fight. I hadn't even thought to use it while his horns are out.

Regarding the Rathalos bow, I was actually mistaken. It is the Rathian that is ahead of me in my Caravan Quests. And if I'm going to farm online, I might as well go straight to the Gore Magala. I'm free after 9 EST tonight. I've never played online with GAFers, but I might need to try to pop in here to ask for hunting partners.

No problem. The game is all about overcoming these walls.

I've found that Exhaust works best later on, after the monsters get "naturally" tired first. Then Exhaust becomes that extra kick.

Anyone in here interested in a slightly used hori circle pad pro for 3ds xl? I used it for two weeks but caved and got a new 3ds xl. Looking for $25 shipped. It's gives the 3ds a great grip, way better than the regular ccp imo

So I decided to give the hunting horn a break for a bit and try out the heavy bow gun. Any tips from experienced gunners? I've never played a ranged weapon in any MH before.

True, but then you really want elemental phial if something's weak to dragon. And its final raw pales in comparison to other impact phial CBs, even with the high affinity. It has pretty good sharpness, but no slots, so ultimately, while I like the look and it's not a bad weapon, I can't see it being THE optimal CB in any given situation.

Edit: Again, this is talking about final upgrades, for large parts of the game it is one of the best CBs you can create and upgrade.

Scratch that, it's the only dragon charge blade at the moment. Until G-rank Fatalis comes out anyway.

I prefer the utility of impact charge blade. A lot of monsters elemental weak points are their heads so might as well get a KO while you're at it.

PKrockin

So I decided to give the hunting horn a break for a bit and try out the heavy bow gun. Any tips from experienced gunners? I've never played a ranged weapon in any MH before.
I'm relatively new to HBG myself but you'll probably want at least two guns, one for Normal shots and one for Pierce. Normal 1 shots are garbage. Normal 2 is your standard ammo, does good damage to whatever it hits. Normal 3 does less damage on the initial hit but ricochets so you want to shoot it somewhere it has the opportunity to bounce around a lot, like between monsters' legs. Pierce goes through and hits multiple times as it passes through. The longer it's in the monster the more hits and damage it does. Pierce 1 is a worse version of Pierce 2. Pierce 2 starts outdamaging Normal for monsters Rathian and larger if you shoot it wing-to-wing or from the head down, I hear. Pierce 3 does less damage than Pierce 2 unless you can get all the hits, so use it on very large monsters. I dunno about Pellet, most people seem to be pretty meh on it so I don't use it.

The screen shakes if you're in ideal range to do maximum damage to the monster when you shoot it.

Lowering recoil will really help DPS when using Pierce shots.

Felyne sharpshooter increases the damage of Normal shots by 10%.

Try to get a weapon that can seige fire useful ammo like Normal 2/3 or Pierce 2/3, especially in multiplayer. The lack of need to reload in seige mode makes your damage output crazy.

Flying F-Bomb is the most useful Felyne team attack because it keeps the monster from focusing on you. Go into seige mode and wreck it.

The Black Gravios HBG line is really good for Pierce shots.

Might want to attach a shield to your HBG while you learn it at least, so you have an emergency out of those situations where you accidentally pushed the wrong button and such. The shield also automatically works in seige mode, and when something hits it you'll be automatically out of seige mode.

Watch Gaijin Hunter's tutorial video, of course.

Scratch that, it's the only dragon charge blade at the moment. Until G-rank Fatalis comes out anyway.

I prefer the utility of impact charge blade. A lot of monsters elemental weak points are their heads so might as well get a KO while you're at it.

That and status are so easy to apply with the Cb if you know what you are doing. Was playing with Azure Skylark, and damn can you ever keep something poisoned, then stunned. Impact is great for general team play, though not to say element isn't, they just have different focuses.

4 to 1 just like that

thanks, guys

k uhhh I need to hunt some elder crap so I can unlock that raging Dios or whatever

It was fun stuff today, and mantles rained from the Heavens. We should play more often if you don't get side tracked too had by Shallie.

Beats

Pretty happy with my new armor set though I wish I could replace the helm:

Full Black Diablos set

Recoil Down+2
Reload Speed+1
Evasion+1
Evade Extender
Weakness Exploit

Using the Daora HBG which kind of looks like a revolver (?). Top two skills let it have Fast reload speed and low recoil. : >

R0ckman

What causes monsters to continue spamming shake offs? Was mounting a monster who I lept on while sleeping and almost dead, repeatedly kept screaming and leaping around with no time for me to attack.

burgerdog

Man, I was so looking foward to coming home and playing MH :/ I just noticed that someone tried to break into my S5 either last night or during the weekend. Day absolutely ruined.

Prototype

Anyone have a guild quest of any of the following monsters for GS weapon bias?

Black Diablos, Stygian Zinogre, Brute Tigrex, Brachydios

If you do would you be willing to share it with me?

Shengar

Anyone have a guild quest of any of the following monsters for GS weapon bias?

Black Diablos, Stygian Zinogre, Brute Tigrex, Brachydios

If you do would you be willing to share it with me?

I have the bolded ones. The former I have single Black Diablos and Black Diablos with Plum Hermitaur, while the latter is just a single Brute Tigrex. Just create a room and I'll give it to you.

oakenhild

If anyone needs help getting to HR4, I can help do your quests assuming you'd be willing to run my urgent with me as well.

32-7105-4699-8811

Doesn't seem like many people are working on this one seeing as how nobody has really joined in a while...

Juraash

Man I am moving G-Rank. Cranking through the keys to G2 at a decent clip. Bit nervous about Rathian/Khezu solo, but at least their health won't be insane.

Seems like G2 is where most of my direct upgrades live.

jorgejjvr

If anyone needs help getting to HR4, I can help do your quests assuming you'd be willing to run my urgent with me as well.

32-7105-4699-8811

Doesn't seem like many people are working on this one seeing as how nobody has really joined in a while...
I can help

Nvm room full

VandalD

I was able to get some help, and completed it. Now HR4!

Thank you to those that joined in and helped me out!
No problem! I needed that fish upgrade too, so that worked out even better.

I'm Loony, BTW. I've been assigning GAF names to people I have guild cards for so I can try to keep all of that straight.

Thinking about making a greatsword set

This is the go to skillset right?

Sharpness +1
Focus
Crit Draw
Sheath Control (Punish Draw + Quick Sheathe)
Tremor Resistance

According to Athena's ASS I've already got a charm that can do it.

Prototype

I have the bolded ones. The former I have single Black Diablos and Black Diablos with Plum Hermitaur, while the latter is just a single Brute Tigrex. Just create a room and I'll give it to you.
Sorry, I got too busy and couldn't get online.

I will be on later for sure. I hope I didn't keep you waiting.

VandalD

Thanks for the help Loony and Clarantine, really apperciate it, whoever and wherever you guys are! :p
I'm the Loony! And no problem!

That makes at least 14 GAF folks I've played with so far, 15 if Claratine is here too. Is good to play with GAF.

ohlawd

ahahah I'm done. too tired for this shit. the first Teostra lobby I went to had us taking 23 minutes to kill him. then the second time we didn't even finish the quest; two people carted to the nova and third death was someone forgetting to roll off their blast status

Downloaded all the free DLC before starting the game

Did I fuck up?
all but one is in a side menu called event quests. some you are even supposed to do early on.

more importantly, there's something you can't download unless you already started. talk to a cat in your house who has a DLC menu, and you can get a gift pack with a lot of good items for people starting the game. (note you can only get this pack once, if you delete/remake a character because you didn't like how it looked/sounded/gender you can't get the pack again)

Edzi

Finally started the game today and did a few quests, including what seemed to be the first real hunting mission (the flying horned beetle thing). I'm really liking the game so far, but I was wondering why it seems like there's no music during most quests and if there's a way to change that. It gets kinda lonely hunting when its always quiet...

I bought a New XL last week and bought this with it on a whim just to have something that actually uses the new hardware. I'm shocked at how much I love this game, I bought the system for Zelda and have only put like half an hour into it because I've been playing this whenever I have time.

I have a few newb questions.

I heard this game was grindy but actually I've only fought one monster more than two times so far, fought Tetsucabra a few times to get it's armor set. Now, it seems like none of the other sets are really worth grinding for. I just got to the beach and and even the set associated with the thing you fight on the way over doesn't seem drastically better than the Tetsucabra set.

Is the Testucabra set good for a long time? Is there something I'm missing? What's the next set I should have my eye on?

Also, are some weapons just better than other at certain points of the story? I was using the Sword and Shield for awhile, and I liked it a lot due to its speed and mobility. I quickly got to the point where I need Rathian parts to upgrade it though, and hours later I still don't have access to that monster. On the other hand I was able to easily upgrade the Great Sword a couple more steps so I'm using that even though I prefer S&S.

Still feel like there's a lot of stuff I don't understand, but hunting and then wearing monsters is really addicting.

Finally started the game today and did a few quests, including what seemed to be the first real hinting mission (the flying horned beetle thing). I'm liking the game so far, but I was wondering why it seems like there's no music during most quests? Is there a way to change that? It gets kinda lonely hunting when its always quiet...

Music is reserved for fights with bosses (besides one named Khezu). It only plays during active combat once the monster has seen you. It stops when the monster leaves the screen (or you do) and picks up again once you've resumed fighting.

Most bosses even have a unique theme.

Zekes!

Yo so I got a Studio Pass as a drop, what does it do?

Not much came up when I googled it, but it seems like I can use it forge a weapon? Is that right?

Edit: a little bit more poking around shows that if I get a bunch more I can make an armour set too

I bought a New XL last week and bought this with it on a whim just to have something that actually uses the new hardware. I'm shocked at how much I love this game, I bought the system for Zelda and have only put like half an hour into it because I've been playing this whenever I have time.

I have a few newb questions.

I heard this game was grindy but actually I've only fought one monster more than two times so far, fought Tetsucabra a few times to get it's armor set. Now, it seems like none of the other sets are really worth grinding for. I just got to the beach and and even the set associated with the thing you fight on the way over doesn't seem drastically better than the Tetsucabra set.

Is the Testucabra set good for a long time? Is there something I'm missing? What's the next set I should have my eye on?

Also, are some weapons just better than other at certain points of the story? I was using the Sword and Shield for awhile, and I liked it a lot due to its speed and mobility. I quickly got to the point where I need Rathian parts to upgrade it though, and hours later I still don't have access to that monster. On the other hand I was able to easily upgrade the Great Sword a couple more steps so I'm using that even though I prefer S&S.

Still feel like there's a lot of stuff I don't understand, but hunting and then wearing monsters is really addicting.

You're in luck, Rathian is in the set of quests at that beach you just got to. Any way, weapon upgrades across types are pretty equally paced. This is because weapons across types generally use similar materials. For example if you have a rathian SnS, there's likely also a rathian long sword that can be acquired at the same time.

Now if you're asking if some weapons are out and out more suited for certain monsters, that's sometimes the case. You might find your kill times faster on one monster with a certain weapon than an equally upgraded other weapon. (This is assuming equal skill with both weapons).

Armors and skills really aren't going to matter much until high rank, and definitely in G rank. Tetsucabra and the high rank Tetsucabra S have been popular with a lot of GAFfers on the way up to G-rank because both sets are braindead easy to make and have decent defense/skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom