• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Complaining may be too effective. I just got 3 Seregious Lenses after complaining about what I would use them for. Now I have 5 of them in my box, rotting away.

wiibomb

How do you get Guild or Event Quests?

for guild quests, make expedition and you will get a quest depending on your performance, then you can registered the quest (start menu -> guild quests) and then you can go online to hunt with that quest, with each time the quest is completed you get better chances of rewards, but the monster also becomes increasingly difficult

the event quest you download them from the DLC section in the main menu.. then you chose them at the gathering hall

Alright boys, show where your priorities lie.

7APZ4Bc.png

Actually, putting those top 6 in order was rough.

PrankT

for guild quests, make expedition and you will get a quest depending on your performance, then you can registered the quest (start menu -> guild quests) and then you can go online to hunt with that quest, with each time the quest is completed you get better chances of rewards, but the monster also becomes increasingly difficult

the event quest you download them from the DLC section in the main menu.. then you chose them at the gathering hall
Ah, I see. I have just been dying instead of using my items...that must explain why I only have a couple low rank quests and nothing from my G rank expeditions.

Pila

Anyone wanna play? I'm HR5, we can hunt whatever. Just join!

13-2930-0013-4265
Password 8787

It's full atm.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I want to get through HR3 and 4 so I can be in the more meaty bits compared to where I am in the story, but I also don't want to play anything serious until my CPP arrives.

ilium

Hey man, when you have ten choices that are all pretty awesome, some have to be more or less awesome than others.

Also, I'm gonna be putting together a Dual Seregios OVER-AND-OVER-AND-OVER room in about 30 minutes.

yea, i had trouble placing everything too.

but i'm suprised to see co-op so low on everyone's list so far, for me it's like the main draw of the series.

jorgejjvr

Hey man, when you have ten choices that are all pretty awesome, some have to be more or less awesome than others.

Also, I'm gonna be putting together a Dual Seregios OVER-AND-OVER-AND-OVER room in about 30 minutes.

Would you like me to give you the Apex Seregios quest? Much easier to get rare things. Carved two lenses of him.

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

That would be fantastic, though hopefully it wouldn't destroy me/my team. I'm still in late high rank armor (about 600 total def with food).

Do you have the drive wystone? Otherwise you might have difficulty cutting through his apex state. Either way (unlike some) I don't find it a big deal if you don't have it so long as you use a wystone in general since anything helps him get him out of apex. Make a room and I'll join shortly.

-Alternis

Valus

Just a PSA for people since I see this misconception out there a lot.

The Charge blade ultra burst is capable of being the single best weapon for damage when waking up a monster from sleep if you max out the potential damage you can get from it. This is why you see Japanese CB Sleep bombing videos with insane speeds.

The math.

A barrel bomb + does 150 true damage. When a bomb wakes up a sleeping monster as the first hit that is 450 true damage since it gets a 3x multiplier.

A Greatsword with crit draw doing the strong charge is 149(.25 crit) motion value x 2 so roughly a 375 motion value. However monsters dont take full motion value damage because they have impact/slashing resist so lets say this is done on a rathian's head since the head is super weak and takes 90% of it. Lets also say this is max end gear weapons with all the food buffs and armor skills to get 400 true raw.

400 x 3.75 = 1500x.90 = a huge 1350 damage to the dome.

A charge blade ultra burst is comprised of multiple parts of damage 25 for the backswing 99 for landing it 100 for the base cone damage and then .10 for each phial of true raw damage. You don't want that back swing to hit so aiming it properly the 99 swing is the first thing that hits.
2.98 X 400 = 1192 x .90 = 1072 + the 5 phials so 200 true raw totaling 1272 damage on a incredibly favorable scenario to the GS as the CB is affected less by the monsters weakness because it gets true raw damage. For example if they both aimed for the head on a pink rathian just a subspecies change the CB will out damage the GS because it only takes 50% of the damage.

So how can the CB be better? Simple the ultra's attack deals damage in a large cone meaning you can stack bombs on the other side of the monster and have the cone blow them up plus you have a very good chance to KO the monster for even higher damage opportunities. I hope people understand better at least how close the two are now and how they are far and a way better than the other weapons at waking stuff up.

edit just for fun to put these numbers in perspective a G-rank rathian has 5445 total HP so if you did the ultra burst and put 8 + bombs on the other side while it was sleeping you would do 2472 damage or 45% of its total health in one go.

Yeah I think I'll let the GS user smash them. Less room for error. Good to know that it's a powerful attack, though I thought that was a given.

Vire

Yeah I think I'll let the GS user smash them. Less room for error. Good to know that it's a powerful attack, though I thought that was a given.

I was comparing the strong attack to the CB ultra not the regular charge so to me there is about the same about of error. For a GS user to pull that off he would have to aim just in front of the head from the side to get into the strong charge and then actually hit the monster with the sweeping slash attack that follows which would hit from the side as well as the front. The regular charge is 143 vs 149

Beats

The first 7 are all almost on the same level of importance for me when it comes to these games. Player movement, weapon variety, and lack of defined roles are definitely at the top though.

Do you have the drive wystone? Otherwise you might have difficulty cutting through his apex state. Either way (unlike some) I don't find it a big deal if you don't have it so long as you use a wystone in general since anything helps him get him out of apex. Make a room and I'll join shortly.

-Alternis

44-3499-0865-4412

Thanks.

bobohoro

I was comparing the strong attack to the CB ultra not the regular charge so to me there is about the same about of error. For a GS user to pull that off he would have to aim just in front of the head from the side to get into the strong charge and then actually hit the monster with the sweeping slash attack that follows which would hit from the side as well as the front. The regular charge is 143 vs 149

And the CB Ultra really isn't that hard to aim. At the stage where you start thinking about stuff like that, hitting a non-moving target with it (and avoiding the backswing hit) should be a non-issue, really.

Valus

A GS user should use the draw charge though, not the super slam, for two reasons. 1) Reaps benefits of crit draw. 2) If the monster survives the smash, by the time they get up/yell, they are getting hit by the super slam + sweep.

Not to mention as others have said, if a tail needs to be cut or something needs to be smashed, the GS can easily snipe it.

About the same as yours, in all honesty I thought all the 10 points were important but having to rank them just meant that Story and Felynes ended up at the bottom since they're not part of the core gameplay.

Vire

A GS user should use the draw charge though, not the super slam, for two reasons. 1) Reaps benefits of crit draw. 2) If the monster survives the smash, by the time they get up/yell, they are getting hit by the super slam + sweep.

Not to mention as others have said, if a tail needs to be cut or something needs to be smashed, the GS can easily snipe it.

Does crit draw only work on the first attack or the first hit? Because yeah if so then I gave the GS extra charity and it would be even closer. In that case the Great Sword would do still do a respectable 1285. However as you can see it got even closer to the CB even in a best case scenario.

PrankT

yea, i had trouble placing everything too.

but i'm suprised to see co-op so low on everyone's list so far, for me it's like the main draw of the series.

That was my #1, then it was weapon classes, crafting, armor skills, movesets. Ranking was not fun; I would have liked to rank each item on a 1-10 scale instead so they could see the components that work together.

Ridley327

It's time for me to hit G-rank! You can help out, and get a chance to swear at not being able to mine a Shattered Omen!

ID: 62-1912-0280-4008
PW: 2580

How do you figure out the nuances of the damage when there is nothing showing how much numerical damage you're doing per attack?

Is it info taken from the gamefiles?

Vire

How do you figure out the nuances of the damage when there is nothing showing how much numerical damage you're doing per attack?

Is it info taken from the gamefiles?

Japanese official strategy guides have the damage values for each move listed. They are called motion values.

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/92814625497/mh4-understanding-motion-values

Check out this article if you would like to know more. You can figure out exactly how much damage you are doing per hit if you can stomach doing the math.

There are weird quirks though and exceptions to certain weapons though Like for example the greatsword charge is listed at 110 how ever with purple sharpness its really 143% because you get a sharpness multiplier with your charges. Its complicated.

Valus

Ok my mistake then. Looks like the ultra is better in nearly every scenario then.

Except scenarios when you need something broken. Or when monsters survive the attack. Do you really think the ultra does more than all 3 of the super attacks combined (assuming they survive)?

I didn't check your math but did you use Cera with your calculations? Buffed by Edgemaster, Crit Draw, Honed for Power, Power Charms, and food buff? I somehow doubt any charge blade ultra can beat that.

Vire

Except scenarios when you need something broken. Or when monsters survive the attack. Do you really think the ultra does more than all 3 of the super attacks combined (assuming they survive)?

I didn't check your math but did you use Cera with your calculations? Buffed by Edgemaster, Crit Draw, Honed for Power, Power Charms, and food buff? I somehow doubt any charge blade ultra can beat that.

Yes I did I used a 400 true raw which is impossible to get to without all that including might pills. The only advantage a Greatsword has is Crit draw which was included. A charge blade gets all of the rest as well its no advantage honing doesn't add any more true raw for one weapon or another its the exact same value after the weapon mod. In addition the charge blade ultra would do more damage if you used the bombing method I discussed. The great sword isn't any better at breaking things then the charge blade so I am not sure where you are getting that from. The CB also would knock out the monster giving you extra time to hit it.

This is why I just did the math for everyone people think by default that the GS crit draw charge is the best.

Cera is 320 true raw it is the exact same value for the cera CB and GS they are both 320 after class mod division ignoring the negative affinity so the rest would have to come from buffs. It might vary just a slight bit in actual practice depending on peoples weapons and food buffs but the point being was I used the same true raw to simply compare motion value to motion value since everyone is going to be using different weapons depending on the fight.

44-3499-0865-4412

Farming dual seregios until everyone who needs something gets what they need. I need at least one lens, but preferably 2.

I've killed at least 10 of these today and no luck. Getting tired of him.

ilium

Athena's A.S.S. got updated.

New Features:
- Images for female armors! Right-click the armor of any solution and that armor mix will render to the screen so you can see what it looks like.
- Official English translations
- Updated both English and Japanese DLC armor etc.
- Added option to disable using your Excavated weapons
- Improved search speed
- Composite skills (e.g. Honed Blade) now disable their component skills

Bugfixes:
- Fixed Divine Whim/Spirit's Whim being swapped
- Fixed crash when searching with no headgear
- You can now enter your charms "backwards" and it will accept them
- Closing the Advanced Search window via Alt-F4 or the corner X button will now save the selected armors etc.
- Fixed some issues with custom charms being marked as red (suboptimal) by mistake. This only happened when adding new charms.
- Fixed right-clicking on extra skills in the solutions pane to show that skill tree
- Changing a selected skill to another skill in the same tree no longer resets advanced search options (e.g. Crit Eye +1 to Crit Eye +2)
- Fixed Excavated weapons not being saved/loaded correctly
- Fixed 2-slot charms not being used to nullify bad skills

44-3499-0865-4412

Farming dual seregios until everyone who needs something gets what they need. I need at least one lens, but preferably 2.

I've killed at least 10 of these today and no luck. Getting tired of him.

Good luck friend. I'm burned out on Seregios. Hopefully you get the lens soon.

Spent a while trying to find a Rival Clash room since I'm G1 and it was awful, carted twice. Unfortunately, I need to do that mission to get materials for the G rank armor I want to make so I'm in a weird position of needing to do this but getting two shot (sometimes one due to bleed).

Bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom