• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyrick

don't know if this was already linked, but Capcom just posted a survey about Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, please anyone who had the time to play it, fill the survey, I think it's pretty important for Capcom to receive the enough support from us

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MH4U

Completed. I wish there was a place in the form where I could have explicitly let them know that I would purchase a PC version of any upcoming MonHun titles and would double dip on a MH4U Wii U port.

don't know if this was already linked, but Capcom just posted a survey about Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, please anyone who had the time to play it, fill the survey, I think it's pretty important for Capcom to receive the enough support from us

Done.

Complained about the armor shop UI. Here is what I said:

It would be optimal separating the armors in their respective sets so that you could make an entire set on the fly (the menu would be something like a table which a line is an armor set and a column is each piece of the armor set) and separate them by rarity (you could use tabs) because it is a pain to go by 40+ pages to check armor and multiply this by 5 because of the different armor pieces.

rdaneel72

Done.

Complained about the armor shop UI. Here is what I said:

It would be optimal separating the armors in their respective sets so that you could make an entire set on the fly (the menu would be something like a table which a line is an armor set and a column is each piece of the armor set) and separate them by rarity (you could use tabs) because it is a pain to go by 40+ pages to check armor and multiply this by 5 because of the different armor pieces.

This is a good idea!!!

From my experience with MH players people who started before tri/3U do not like the under water combat or can live without it ever coming back, while those who started with tri/3U enjoy the underwater combat and are sad that it's gone.
I started on MHF for PSP, put about 45 hours and gave up. My feeble mind couldn't handle it then. MHFU lasted about 100 hours, got to the end of High Rank SP, but never got further. I skipped Tri all together...I think I was mad at it being on the Wii, despite me owning a Wii...smh....and then MH3U got about 250 hours from me. Got to G, and got G armors & weapons. The farthest I had ever been, and was one of the greatest feelings when I got it.

All that being said, the underwater battles were my favorite part of the series :( The freedom, the sense of depth and scale, plus being out of your element and in the monsters main habitat made the fights that much more serious and exhilarating. Especially so once I got the CPP. Not to mention, the 3D effect underwater was pretty amazing. LASTLY....fishing monsters out of the water was one of the coolest freaking things.

I read in the hunter notes the Zamtrios "likes frogs", so I would be believing I can fish him out as well, but with no large bodies of water that the monsters swim in (not even like the MHFU Plesy) I don't know how it can be done, if at all.
Did my part and requested underwater battles return.
My hero. I shall do the same.

I died to Frenzy Brachydios once, then killed him fairly easy. Just avoid standing in front of him, circle him from a distance and pick your shots. He has fairly low hp I think, so you can whittle him down over time. I de-zoned to heal, as he attacks so fast, it's hard to reliably do it mid-fight.
OK. I guess my problem is when he turns yellow. That instant explosions are a pain.

Prototype

So... Im still the only one who had no issue playing, and in fact... Enjoyed the underwater battles in tri/3u. The lock on in 3U made under water approaches easier than using dual analogs... Im not crazy, you have to believe me! Its truuuueeee!!!
I miss it. It mixed things up. only a handful of fights were underwater anyway.

Mupod

I'm not opposed to the idea of water battles if they go back to the drawing board on them a bit. Make the movement less restrictive and the monsters less charge-happy.

I never had much problem with them in terms of difficulty. Especially once I picked HBG back up, as it does horrific things to any monster dumb enough to jump in a lake. I just don't think water battles are that fun.

Lagiacrus is very cool and I do like the water aesthetics of moga woods. It was ruined a bit by that ugly ass 3DS water which they kept in 3U's Wii version for some reason. But yeah, make pretty water again, and make it so half the weapons aren't obnoxious as shit to play underwater, and we have a deal.

redcrayon

I loved the underwater battles too. There was, what, only Lagi, Gobul, Ludroth and a boss, with only two of the environments having water areas. Not to mention that you could fish out Gobul into a series of traps, and all three fights had part of the battle on land unless you were unlucky or it was a story fight to push them out to sea.

The battles with Lagiacruz are amongst my favourites in the series, he looks so cool underwater, probably my favourite monster. Not to mention that, for a Wii game, the water areas are beautiful.

I do favour the lance though, and it's range really helps underwater.

My room of highly effective partbreakers (Beats, Lyzz) has an opening!

02-3322-4356-9076

We're about to alternate G rank Zinogre and Seregios, but feel free to come in and we'll add whatever you need to the queue. Just keep in mind I'm only G2.

ilium

02-3322-4356-9076

We're about to alternate G rank Zinogre and Seregios, but feel free to come in and we'll add whatever you need to the queue. Just keep in mind I'm only G2.

perfect, i still need the sere lens.

lyrick

I'm hoping they bring back the best parts of 3 and 4 in MH5, Vertical space and underwater battles would be cool. I hope they remove any of the Gen 1 and 2 Monsters that still feel janky or at the very least clean up the hitboxes further, Monsters like Gravios should not be dragging me when I'm behind it especially when I'm visually clear of the monsters attack range.

deim0s

02-3322-4356-9076

Thanks to these guys, there are a couple of hornless Rajangs and Teostras in the wild wondering what just happened. ;)

R0ckman

I notice that a lot of the new monsters have creature like mannerisms, like the kecha wacha looking around and the Zamtrios popping out of the Ice and looking around for you if not in direct view. Many of the old monsters feel so lifeless, like robots set on"extermination mode".

Vire

Just a PSA for people since I see this misconception out there a lot.

The Charge blade ultra burst is capable of being the single best weapon for damage when waking up a monster from sleep if you max out the potential damage you can get from it. This is why you see Japanese CB Sleep bombing videos with insane speeds.

The math.

A barrel bomb + does 150 true damage. When a bomb wakes up a sleeping monster as the first hit that is 450 true damage since it gets a 3x multiplier.

A Greatsword with crit draw doing the strong charge is 149(.25 crit) motion value x 2 so roughly a 375 motion value. However monsters dont take full motion value damage because they have impact/slashing resist so lets say this is done on a rathian's head since the head is super weak and takes 90% of it. Lets also say this is max end gear weapons with all the food buffs and armor skills to get 400 true raw.

400 x 3.75 = 1500x.90 = a huge 1350 damage to the dome.

A charge blade ultra burst is comprised of multiple parts of damage 25 for the backswing 99 for landing it 100 for the base cone damage and then .10 for each phial of true raw damage. You don't want that back swing to hit so aiming it properly the 99 swing is the first thing that hits.
2.98 X 400 = 1192 x .90 = 1072 + the 5 phials so 200 true raw totaling 1272 damage on a incredibly favorable scenario to the GS as the CB is affected less by the monsters weakness because it gets true raw damage. For example if they both aimed for the head on a pink rathian just a subspecies change the CB will out damage the GS because it only takes 50% of the damage.

So how can the CB be better? Simple the ultra's attack deals damage in a large cone meaning you can stack bombs on the other side of the monster and have the cone blow them up plus you have a very good chance to KO the monster for even higher damage opportunities. I hope people understand better at least how close the two are now and how they are far and a way better than the other weapons at waking stuff up.

edit just for fun to put these numbers in perspective a G-rank rathian has 5445 total HP so if you did the ultra burst and put 8 + bombs on the other side while it was sleeping you would do 2472 damage or 45% of its total health in one go.

Card Boy

Banned

I love how Gaf is specifically mentioned.

QvN3rYA.png

Ursn

A Greatsword with crit draw doing the strong charge is 149(.25 crit) motion value x 2 so roughly a 375 motion value. However monsters dont take full motion value damage because they have impact/slashing resist so lets say this is done on a rathian's head since the head is super weak and takes 90% of it. Lets also say this is max end gear weapons with all the food buffs and armor skills to get 400 true raw.

I've cut off the tail of a rathalos a few time when they were sleeping with the great sword at full sharpness and full charge on one hit. It feels awesome.

Mupod

I've cut off the tail of a rathalos a few time when they were sleeping with the great sword at full sharpness and full charge on one hit. It feels awesome.

that's why I bring a GS when I want a tail. It'll come off one way or the other, even if I suck because the monster will go to sleep eventually.

evilmario's tall tales of rapid fire slicing s are making me want to try out the seregios LBG though.

I don't know how I feel about underwater hunts. On one hand, they could sometimes be a genuine nightmare in the last game but I have this weird feeling that MH4U isn't "complete" without it.

Card Boy

Banned
I don't know how I feel about underwater hunts. On one hand, they could sometimes be a genuine nightmare in the last game but I have this weird feeling that MH4U isn't "complete" without it.

I think they just need to be improved, not removed. I get what you are saying when MH4 doesnt feel complete without it.

Second day of using SnS:

After forging a S.Zinogre SnS and finally killing Akantor after a couple tries and a half-an-hour fight, decided to tackle Kushala Daora.
I had fought some previously on Dos and Freedom Unite, using Hammer and Great Sword respectively. After finding out that Kushala is weak to Dragon Element, I packed everything I needed and went on to kill it.

Fishes for Bombs+ are scarce, and I managed to get enough to go at max capacity, but couldn't make anymore on quest. I even got a Bombing Charm so my bombs are stronger, but I'm still between Sleep Bombing and Element SnS...

And what a fight it was! The air was really, really troublesome, and that's why my fight against it was so long. Carted once so I lost Felyne Bombardier, but managed to break its horn at the last minutes.

At only 3 minutes left to fail the quest (well, to quit it via subquest), managed to kill it.
I'm still at HR7, but slowly advancing through them solo.

But I still miss my Kinsect...

I think they just need to be improved, not removed. I get what you are saying when MH4 doesnt feel complete without it.

Right? 3U was my first game (then back to MHFU) so I guess that might be why this one feels like it's missing something. But yeah, I didn't always love them so improvement would be great.

Next? JETPACK BATTLES!

Question:

Should I fight Kushala Daora in 6* Village before fighting Rushed Kushala Daora in 9* Village? I don't have the 6* one yet since I'm only HR6, but I have the 9* one.

PrankT

In the survey I recommended that monsters have a higher percentage of rare drops the more you play them, or give you a fraction of a rare drop that you can eventually meld into a full item. For example, if you can't get the Seregios Lens (like me), you can at least get a Lens fraction that can be made into a full Lens after 10 or 20 monster defeats.

wiibomb

Just a PSA for people since I see this misconception out there a lot.

The Charge blade ultra burst is capable of being the single best weapon for damage when waking up a monster from sleep if you max out the potential damage you can get from it. This is why you see Japanese CB Sleep bombing videos with insane speeds.

The math.

A barrel bomb + does 150 true damage. When a bomb wakes up a sleeping monster as the first hit that is 450 true damage since it gets a 3x multiplier.

A charge blade ultra burst is comprised of multiple parts of damage 25 for the backswing 99 for landing it 100 for the base cone damage and then .10 for each phial of true raw damage. You don't want that back swing to hit so aiming it properly the 99 swing is the first thing that hits.
2.98 X 400 = 1192 x .90 = 1072 + the 5 phials so 200 true raw totaling 1272 damage on a incredibly favorable scenario to the GS as the CB is affected less by the monsters weakness because it gets true raw damage. For example if they both aimed for the head on a pink rathian just a subspecies change the CB will out damage the GS because it only takes 50% of the damage.

So how can the CB be better? Simple the ultra's attack deals damage in a large cone meaning you can stack bombs on the other side of the monster and have the cone blow them up plus you have a very good chance to KO the monster for even higher damage opportunities. I hope people understand better at least how close the two are now and how they are far and a way better than the other weapons at waking stuff up.

edit just for fun to put these numbers in perspective a G-rank rathian has 5445 total HP so if you did the ultra burst and put 8 + bombs on the other side while it was sleeping you would do 2472 damage or 45% of its total health in one go.

That's very useful to know, thanks for the info...

They name dropped GAF.

awww, shame they did that.. other places usually name gaf without problems..

that's why I bring a GS when I want a tail. It'll come off one way or the other, even if I suck because the monster will go to sleep eventually.

evilmario's tall tales of rapid fire slicing s are making me want to try out the seregios LBG though.

Man, it's really really hard to do. You have to be so dang precise with your shots or you'll run out of ammo (even with rapid fire). I've only managed to cut off a few tails with RF Slicing Shot in my entire MH career (which, granted, is only 2 games).

wiibomb

In the survey I recommended that monsters have a higher percentage of rare drops the more you play them, or give you a fraction of a rare drop that you can eventually meld into a full item. For example, if you can't get the Seregios Lens (like me), you can at least get a Lens fraction that can be made into a full Lens after 10 or 20 monster defeats.

the first part is already met with most monsters, do guild quests ;)

that last part is something interesting they could make.. but then again... its kinda awkward they break a ruby and then you... unite it? sounds weird, useful tho..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom