• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garou

What sorts of things is it worth having the Wycoon multiply? i.e. what things can become a bit scarce later in the game?

Just make sure you have 50+ of everything and you will be fine. Later you will notice what to prioritize based on your weapon, etc.

Juraash

I actually feel sorry for Jho, eating such foul creature.

Compared to the crazyness and bounciness of T Zamtrios, T Najarala is just regular Najarala with softer back, harder beak, and water shots.

For the most part that was true. He wasn't as bad as I thought. Only the Rathian/Red Khezu key left. These last few key quests have really been putting whatever skills I might have to the test.

PKrockin

Anyone feel like helping me knock out Akantor, Rajang, and Dalamadur so I can get to G-rank before I have to leave behind my stable internet connection for about two weeks?

44-1480-4528-4115

edit: room's full now

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What sorts of things is it worth having the Wycoon multiply? i.e. what things can become a bit scarce later in the game?

I usually just do honey, blue mushrooms, thunderbugs, stuff for bombs and other trap materials. It's not really stuff that becomes scarce, but once you reach HR and above it's nice to be able to go into a hunt prepared for anything and everything.

Victrix

*beard*
I've been focused on offline, but I'd like to knock out some ranks online if anyone wants to join.

Starting at HR3 missions, I'm basically just going to plow through key fight in the quest list, then do the urgent.

Anyone welcome, if you want to kill random stuff, come join up.

Starting with the Tigrex key and moving on from there.

48-9627-0363-4418

Sickbean

Should I be doing more in combat than just playing songs and smashing monsters with my bone horn?

For example, I noticed that the Ketcha quest provides you with a sonic bomb that stops him from climbing around on vines, and I've seen people bombing monsters whilst they're asleep.

Are there any more examples of this sort of thing? Are certain monsters vulnerable to certain items? What are smoke bombs for?

It seems like there are a whole host of items that I've not used at all.

popyea

Should I be doing more in combat than just playing songs and smashing monsters with my bone horn?

For example, I noticed that the Ketcha quest provides you with a sonic bomb that stops him from climbing around on vines, and I've seen people bombing monsters whilst they're asleep.

Are there any more examples of this sort of thing? Are certain monsters vulnerable to certain items? What are smoke bombs for?

Well yeah, usually monsters can be taken advantage of with certain items. But if you find it easy enough to win without them, then you don't need to worry. You'll probably start to use them more once monsters get harder to handle or if you need to an advantage to break a certain part of them. If you've got a horn, you can use Sonic Waves on it in place of sonic bombs. I don't really use smoke bombs (or see them get used) but I think they just fog the area for a bit and reduce the monster's vision. Good if you need to get away to heal or something I guess.

One raging brachy gave me an immortal reactor and 2 palliums
giLVN9n.png

Vire

If you are keeping your songs up and smashing the monster into paste you are doing good kid. The one thing you might want to try is aim for their heads because monsters take KO damage from horns/hammers and you will eventually knock them out for easy hits on the guy.

Sleep bombing is a great thing to do if you are using sleep weapons I definitely recommend it. It can take 2-3 mins off your kill time easily. If the monster is going to sleep because it limped off you can just skip bombing though and straight up capture it to end the quest. As for the sonic bombs you can use them typically on any monster that burrows under the ground that should pop them up on their backs. Ketcha watcha is kinda a unique case since he has big sensitive ears. Flash bombs work on almost any monster that flies you will knock them to the ground in the same way.

Smoke bombs are for multi monster fights the monsters won't aggro you in them as long as you don't bump into them. They are typically used in some of the more advanced fights in the game where they throw multiple monsters at you in an arena at the same time. There are tons of edge cases like the poisoned meats being great for deviljho. I wouldn't worry to much about it now but you can always ask or even just try to use the items to see what happens. Like for example the tigerexs when they get flashed become pretty easy to hit specially molten he barely moves.

Sickbean

If you are keeping your songs up and smashing the monster into paste you are doing good kid. The one thing you might want to try is aim for their heads because monsters take KO damage from horns/hammers and you will eventually knock them out for easy hits on the guy.

Sleep bombing is a great thing to do if you are using sleep weapons I definitely recommend it. It can take 2-3 mins off your kill time easily. If the monster is going to sleep because it limped off you can just skip bombing though and straight up capture it to end the quest. As for the sonic bombs you can use them typically on any monster that burrows under the ground that should pop them up on their backs. Ketcha watcha is kinda a unique case since he has big sensitive ears. Flash bombs work on almost any monster that flies you will knock them to the ground in the same way.

Smoke bombs are for multi monster fights the monsters won't aggro you in them as long as you don't bump into them. They are typically used in some of the more advanced fights in the game where they throw multiple monsters at you in an arena at the same time. There are tons of edge cases like the poisoned meats being great for deviljho. I wouldn't worry to much about it now but you can always ask or even just try to use the items to see what happens. Like for example the tigerexs when they get flashed become pretty easy to hit specially molten he barely moves.

Exactly what I was after, thanks.

Do all monsters go to sleep after limping at some point? I've only just done the first trapping mission (Gendrome?) but it seems like a much quicker way to get materials.

Vire

Exactly what I was after, thanks.

Do all monsters go to sleep after limping at some point? I've only just done the first trapping mission (Gendrome?) but it seems like a much quicker way to get materials.

They will all go to sleep after they limp off to heal some hp. Sometimes it takes them a zone or two to get to where they sleep so you will rarely see them do it unless you let them on purpose.

Capturing is quicker but you get different rewards. If you don't care you should capture. If you do care look at the loot tables to see which is better. Also something to know is that carving typically gives you 3 pieces of loot where capturing is 2-3 unless you get the capture skills. Also you don't need to wait for them to sleep to capture them as soon as they limp you can. Its just easier to wait incase you miss them with the trap. Also you could use the capture guru armor skill so you will know earlier as well.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Capturing is essential to making dual and triple hunts later on not a pain in the ass.

full psychic is better than perception imo.

Ken

Capturing is essential to making dual and triple hunts later on not a pain in the ass.

In double/triple hunts the monsters are pretty fragile so it doesn't take much more to kill after they're ready for capture.

Shengar

Yeah, the upside with capturing is that you don't have to make room for carves and might used it for more useful item instead.

redcrayon

I just look at what I currently have the least of in my box, and multiply that. It's really nice to be able to bulk-farm thunderbugs to make shock traps.

redcrayon

In double/triple hunts the monsters are pretty fragile so it doesn't take much more to kill after they're ready for capture.
I do find that anything that shortens a hunt and reduces the potential for people getting careless in the closing stages is pretty good though.

Demoli

Feels so nice when you finally reach the end path ofyour weapons. So for I've finished the Metal Path, Electric path and Daora path on my Charge Blades.

One away for Fatalis, Brach, S.Magala, Akantor, Seltas, T.Zamtrios and both Nercylla paths.

Particularly love Daora's Thwartoise, So much purple sharpness and element, and 2 slots to boot!

PKrockin

Just beat Dalamadur by myself because I disconnected (for the second time ever, great timing) 5 minutes into the quest. Worst fight in the game. Worst fight of any monster I've seen in FU/3U/4U. It follows Capcom's boring, repetitive "EPIC ELDER DRAGON FIGHT!!!!!!" formula of having an enormous monster that does literally nothing for 80% of the fight, just does a lot of damage the 10 times it actually attacks, and takes way too much damage. Once again you're just camping at a claw or a tail, infinite comboing it for about 2 minutes straight until the monster decides to do something or move somewhere else. At that point you get to wait some more or run around for a minute or so getting into a different position.

This time, though, instead of being just boring, Capcom decided to frustrate you as well by adding randomly falling meteors to knock you off cliffs as you hammer the X button or when you're in the middle of drinking a potion. It also teases you relentlessly by randomly moving the weak point just barely in and out of range, making you feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

I finished with 15 minutes left and ranked up to 59. Hopefully I never see that piece of shit again. I'm curious, longtime MH veterans, were there any monsters worse than this in previous games?

Demoli

Just beat Dalamadur by myself because I disconnected (for the second time ever, great timing) 5 minutes into the quest. Worst fight in the game. Worst fight of any monster I've seen in FU/3U/4U. It follows Capcom's boring, repetitive "EPIC ELDER DRAGON FIGHT!!!!!!" formula of having an enormous monster that does literally nothing for 80% of the fight, just does a lot of damage the 10 times it actually attacks, and takes way too much damage. Once again you're just camping at a claw or a tail, infinite comboing it for about 2 minutes straight until the monster decides to do something or move somewhere else. At that point you get to wait some more or run around for a minute or so getting into a different position.

This time, though, instead of being just boring, Capcom decided to frustrate you as well by adding randomly falling meteors to knock you off cliffs as you hammer the X button or when you're in the middle of drinking a potion. It also teases you relentlessly by randomly moving the weak point just barely in and out of range, making you feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

I finished with 15 minutes left and ranked up to 59. Hopefully I never see that piece of shit again. I'm curious, longtime MH veterans, were there any monsters worse than this in previous games?

You're crazy, I loved Dalamadur.

Lao shang and Dire Miralis were way worse. Hell, Gravios is Worse than anything else really.

I really love this game but i feel like i must heavily criticise the older monster selection. Yian Kut ku has no business being here when Qurupeco isnt. Jaggi, Baggi and Wroggi are leagues above the dromes. Khezu is literally a worse Giggi, his sub adds nothing while Giggi's gives it a different element. Gravios is utterly horrible, Uragaan or Barroth are way better at being a bounce house. Agnaktor is sorely missing, so is Nargacuga. Cephadrome should be left out and Nibblesnarf should have been in.

Like, I feel like Tri actually improve the overall monster experience by geting of old, useless designs and tweaking them, by either adding new moves or making new monsters, like in the Kut-ku/Qurupeco and Khezu/Gigginox case, then 4 throws it all away and brings back the old farts.

I really hope MH5 brings water back and tweaks the monster selection, MH4 was an inch awya from being perfect imo.

Victrix

*beard*
Is there any way to move your save data to a cart?

I belatedly realized after buying the digital version that I'm not really comfortable having my save tied to my 3ds... oops.

redcrayon

Lao shang and Dire Miralis were way worse. Hell, Gravios is Worse than anything else really.

I really love this game but i feel like i must heavily criticise the older monster selection. Yian Kut ku has no business being here when Qurupeco isnt. Jaggi, Baggi and Wroggi are leagues above the dromes. Khezu is literally a worse Giggi, his sub adds nothing while Giggi's gives it a different element. Gravios is utterly horrible, Uragaan or Barroth are way better at being a bounce house. Agnaktor is sorely missing, so is Nargacuga. Cephadrome should be left out and Nibblesnarf should have been in.

I really hope MH5 brings water back and tweaks the monster selection, MH4 was an inch awya from being perfect imo.
I agree entirely, I really miss Barroth and Gigginox, and think they were far more interesting to fight than Gravios and Khezu respectively, mainly as they were faster. I loved the creeping Gigginox theme too, it felt like a horror film!

Tri had a great set of monsters. I really miss Lagi as even if he's a bit out of his element out of water and there's a couple of thunder-based creatures taking his place. I felt he looked amazing and had a real sense of majesty as a 'Rathalos of the sea'. Still, I suppose he is the poster boy for Tri.

Peru

Like, I feel like Tri actually improve the overall monster experience by geting of old, useless designs and tweaking them, by either adding new moves or making new monsters, like in the Kut-ku/Qurupeco and Khezu/Gigginox case, then 4 throws it all away and brings back the old farts.

The Tri monsters are definitely generally better than the earlier monsters. I think because we had them in game iterations for years and years they felt like giving them a rest. I expect and hope them to return in future games - Barroth, Qrupeco. It was a nice change of pace to meet the old friends again in 4U and they've been improved quite a bit.

I agree that water sections just need to be improved and then reinstated. I have a fantasy of using new jump mechanics to jump from a small cliff down to the sea and then to knock out a lagi sticking its head up.

XaosWolf

I've only played MHP3rd and a tiny amount of MH3U, but I already miss the other 2 -ggis, Qurupeco, Arzuroth, Ludroth and mostly Nargacuga. (Love fighting Narga!)

I'm glad Great Jaggi the Punching Baggi is still in, as I've got a soft spot for the useless lug. =)

Uragaan can fuck off though the lava-camping SOB. =P

Gravios and Basarios are both awful, but at least I can actually reach Basarios.

redcrayon

For a new mechanic, I think the jumping/mounting is great. I mean, think of great monster-hunting films like Beowulf, Sinbad or Jason & the Argonauts, Jaws. Or even poor ones like Reign of Fire. It feels epic to jump onto a giant monster, clinging on while you hit it.

I've finished a couple of hunts with a jumping strike off of a ledge, great stuff. Also, new moves for the weapons- going from a lance charge into a jump and then a jumping strike or mounting the beast, it just feels right.

If I'm trying to put my finger on it, I think it's that, as a 'hunter', it is you taking the initiative and being aggressive rather than just waiting for an opening and counter-attacking. It makes for a more rounded battle.

PKrockin

I could not agree more, well except about Dalamadur. lol

The old monsters should just be tossed out. It's like Capcom knows they're garbage because the few good first gen monsters actually did come back in 3U, like Diablos. I wonder if they intentionally left out so many superior third-gen monsters because they know bringing them back for 5 would be a big selling point.

Overall I like 3U's monster lineup better than 4U's so far, honestly. Third gen has a few monsters that are boring to fight like Duramboros (although he's still way better than Gravios), but 4U is a real mixed bag between the great new monsters and the shit old ones.

Yrael

It feels so good to do a jump slash with the Switch Axe and hit the monster just as it's beginning to fly away.

I don't much like Gravios either. I'm up to the part in the Caravan quests where I have to fight a Black Gravios. I have a feeling it's going to be tedious.

XaosWolf

I could not agree more, well except about Dalamadur. lol

The old monsters should just be tossed out. It's like Capcom knows they're garbage because the few good first gen monsters actually did come back in 3U, like Diablos. I wonder if they intentionally left out so many superior third-gen monsters because they know bringing them back for 5 would be a big selling point.

Overall I like 3U's monster lineup better than 4U's so far, honestly. Third gen has a few monsters that are boring to fight like Duramboros (although he's still way better than Gravios), but 4U is a real mixed bag between the great new monsters and the shit old ones.

I forgot to mention Duramboros! First time I was fighting him I laughed when he began to pirouette, and then was in tears when he took off. Could not believe what I was seeing.

I agree with you about them being a selling point for the next one. That sounds like something they'd do. =)

ys45

Damn you Pink Rathian, we tried doing that HR 4 urgent yesterday , we ran out of potions so we ended via sub -_-
I use SA and had a hard time hitting it because I was never sure what move he was gonna do , his tail back flip + poison is a pain and hit pretty hard .

I have Tetsu + armor (not upgraded) Should I farm for something better or should I be ok with this armor ?

Faiz

Frenzied Jho was surprisingly tame. On to Apex Sergei!

Feels weird that I'm still only HR4, have only solod GH since I can't get the time for online right now and my wife is dragging her feet.

Damn you Pink Rathian, we tried doing that HR 4 urgent yesterday , we ran out of potions so we ended via sub -_-
I use SA and had a hard time hitting it because I was never sure what move he was gonna do , his tail back flip + poison is a pain and hit pretty hard .

I have Tetsu + armor (not upgraded) Should I farm for something better or should I be ok with this armor ?

She ;)

Tetsu S? Should be fine, but definitely sink some spheres into it.

Xater

God damn it. I am trying to get the whole Jaggi armor set and I just can#t get the King's Frill. Breaking the head is just hard for me with the great sword for some reason.

I should probably just go Online and keep the solo stuff for when I am on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom