• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

With the underwater combat I loved it on the Wii and I liked it when I played 3U on my 3DS with CPP, but when I upgraded to an XL and lost the use of that accessory I couldn't stand it. What's worse is I really love the monsters that came with the mechanic, Gobul especially is probably one of my favourite monsters. Of course all of them had land based attacks so they could all theoretically be tweaked to work in a game without swimming but, for Gobul especially, it wouldn't be the same. The problem is what can you do? Water is a very "3D" mechanic, and just doesn't work well with a game designed around hardware with more restricted camera controls. Making it n3DS or Vita exclusive doesn't seem like something Capcom want to do or releasing it on home console since that doesn't do as well in Japan or whatever (and let's be honest here, pretty much all companies put their home region before others).

In regards to old monsters, I like that they're in MH4, Kut-Ku and Khezu are iconic and I think they did a good enough job to make them interesting to fight and it's nice to see them with slightly updated models. The Dromes I already posted about it being a shame that there wasn't a balance between Gi and Dromes (but only because I wanted the Wroggi armour lol) but I could give or take them to be honest. Gravios can fuck off though, really dull, at least Basarios' hiding skill is interesting plus I really like the look of him with all the moss and stuff growing off his tail, but I could agree with Barroth being a better inclusion. The lack of Quro' does hurt though, but like, it's not like if the old monster I didn't like wasn't in Quro would be so it's all kinda moot. Hope we get to see Quro again in MH5. Or well, MH5U at least lol.

God damn it. I am trying to get the whole Jaggi armor set and I just can#t get the King's Frill. Breaking the head is just hard for me with the great sword for some reason.

I should probably just go Online and keep the solo stuff for when I am on the go.

Trying mounting it often.

Faiz

God damn it. I am trying to get the whole Jaggi armor set and I just can#t get the King's Frill. Breaking the head is just hard for me with the great sword for some reason.

I should probably just go Online and keep the solo stuff for when I am on the go.

It's a great time to try out a couple other weapons. It's true that it can be difficult to get used to great sword speed and hit boxes early on when trying to break something small like G.Jaggi's head.

Try out Hammer and Hunting horn. Both IMO are much easier to use in this case, but I prefer horn for range and the songs are fun.

Chairhome

Any obvious hints for fighting Tetsucabra solo? I think I just need to slow down and wait to counter more often, but there are often a lot of other enemies around. Maybe I need to wait to party up with a friend or train my palicos.

Peru

Any obvious hints for fighting Tetsucabra solo? I think I just need to slow down and wait to counter more often, but there are often a lot of other enemies around. Maybe I need to wait to party up with a friend or train my palicos.

Just don't stand in front of him and you'll mostly be good. Don't be too greedy when he's about to do his rock attacks or whatever. If it's a village quest you can't party up with friends to do it.

redcrayon

With the underwater combat I loved it on the Wii and I liked it when I played 3U on my 3DS with CPP, but when I upgraded to an XL and lost the use of that accessory I couldn't stand it. What's worse is I really love the monsters that came with the mechanic, Gobul especially is probably one of my favourite monsters. Of course all of them had land based attacks so they could all theoretically be tweaked to work in a game without swimming but, for Gobul especially, it wouldn't be the same. The problem is what can you do? Water is a very "3D" mechanic, and just doesn't work well with a game designed around hardware with more restricted camera controls. Making it n3DS or Vita exclusive doesn't seem like something Capcom want to do or releasing it on home console since that doesn't do as well in Japan or whatever (and let's be honest here, pretty much all companies put their home region before others).

In regards to old monsters, I like that they're in MH4, Kut-Ku and Khezu are iconic and I think they did a good enough job to make them interesting to fight and it's nice to see them with slightly updated models. The Dromes I already posted about it being a shame that there wasn't a balance between Gi and Dromes (but only because I wanted the Wroggi armour lol) but I could give or take them to be honest. Gravios can fuck off though, really dull, at least Basarios' hiding skill is interesting plus I really like the look of him with all the moss and stuff growing off his tail, but I could agree with Barroth being a better inclusion. The lack of Quro' does hurt though, but like, it's not like if the old monster I didn't like wasn't in Quro would be so it's all kinda moot. Hope we get to see Quro again in MH5. Or well, MH5U at least lol.
I don't know, I put about a hundred hours into Tri 3G on a 3DS XL. The water battles are such a small part of the running time that they feel like a nice change of pace rather than a continual hassle, but to be fair that didn't have online multiplayer where I can see people not wanting to grind the water battles over and over again if they don't like them. I liked them enough to get full Lagi, Ludroth and gobul sets on my 3DS :D

Xater

It's a great time to try out a couple other weapons. It's true that it can be difficult to get used to great sword speed and hit boxes early on when trying to break something small like G.Jaggi's head.

Try out Hammer and Hunting horn. Both IMO are much easier to use in this case, but I prefer horn for range and the songs are fun.

Yeah I also used a hammer in MH3U so that might be a good idea.

membran

I feel like I've done that move accidentally, but I'd like to start doing it on purpose! If you could link me to somewhere that explains how to do it I'd really appreciate it.

After a strong charge (hunter holds GS behind the back), just press A. This will be the swipe finisher, which carries the same punch the preceeding charge had. It locks you into a fairly long animation, though, even if you cancel out of the last bit by evading.

A strong charge is different from the normal charge attack that you do when directly unsheathing into charge (R+hold X) or when already unsheathed, idle holding X.

You can enter strong charge everytime after a sword slap (the little sideways smack, which also deals a bit KO damage) by pressing a direction and holding X. Note that it's impossible to overcharge a strong charge (idle and draw charges will go back to LV2 if you charge for too long).

There are several ways that lead to the sword slap (which in turns leads you to strong charge and thus, swipe finisher): After an idle or draw charge; by evading and immediately pressing X; by kicking (R+XA or touchscreen icon) and pressing X afterwards.

You also can perform a weak swipe finisher after leaping from a cliff and mashing X. Probably a LV1 charge.

bobohoro

Damn you Pink Rathian, we tried doing that HR 4 urgent yesterday , we ran out of potions so we ended via sub -_-
I use SA and had a hard time hitting it because I was never sure what move he was gonna do , his tail back flip + poison is a pain and hit pretty hard .

I have Tetsu + armor (not upgraded) Should I farm for something better or should I be ok with this armor ?

If you really wanna make it safe, craft some armour with poison resistance. Nerscy is nice (although you'd have to manage the Fire Res if you get hit often by Fireballs) and also helps with capturing.

Mupod

As was mentioned already, it wants you to try using mount attacks. Mounts do a ton of damage to the 'back part' of monsters, but since Jaggi only has one breakable item it does the damage to his frill. Two mounts will break it, or one and some concentrated attacks on his head. It feels like they gave the damn frill more HP than the monster this time around, but I guess they want you to try the new mechanics.

That said I did low rank with greatswords, did not know this at the time so I broke my frills by getting level 3 charges after he went to sleep.

Xater

As was mentioned already, it wants you to try using mount attacks. Mounts do a ton of damage to the 'back part' of monsters, but since Jaggi only has one breakable item it does the damage to his frill. Two mounts will break it, or one and some concentrated attacks on his head. It feels like they gave the damn frill more HP than the monster this time around, but I guess they want you to try the new mechanics.

That said I did low rank with greatswords, did not know this at the time so I broke my frills by getting level 3 charges after he went to sleep.

I must have the worst luck because trust me I have been trying to line up such a swing as well.

We had a very fun hunt earlier with some gaffers helping me to clear HR5 stuff, and I had to leave (my body was hungry).

Now I am back and I still have some HR5 stuff to do. Anybody to help? Perhaps a room is already set up, otherwise I will make one.

HR5? Anybody?

colinp

Banned
So! I got this a few nights ago and have just gotten my first Urgent Quest (to kill a Kecha Wacha) and I really have no idea what kind of armor I should be shooting for.

I've got a million options! Which am I supposed to settle on for the early game?

Jaggi? Kut-Ku? Seltas? Velociprey?

Are any or all of those viable? Which do you recommend?

Help!

Mupod

I must have the worst luck because trust me I have been trying to line up such a swing as well.

that's just how incredibly durable his frill is in this game. If you mount him during the fight AND hit it a bunch of times it sometimes still won't come off from the L3 sleep charge.

I did use his GS practically forever, so it was worth it. Forget his armor though, Velociprey is where it's at.

ys45

Frenzied Jho was surprisingly tame. On to Apex Sergei!

Feels weird that I'm still only HR4, have only solod GH since I can't get the time for online right now and my wife is dragging her feet.

She ;)

Tetsu S? Should be fine, but definitely sink some spheres into it.

Oh right I forgot that was a she :p

If you really wanna make it safe, craft some armour with poison resistance. Nerscy is nice (although you'd have to manage the Fire Res if you get hit often by Fireballs) and also helps with capturing.

Yeah I was thinking of doing this but I upgraded my SnS (Scaly sword) instead Il try upgrading my Tetsu armor and if I still struggle too much Il try farming for Nerscy armor

Anura

So! I got this a few nights ago and have just gotten my first Urgent Quest (to kill a Kecha Wacha) and I really have no idea what kind of armor I should be shooting for.

I've got a million options! Which am I supposed to settle on for the early game?

Help!
Jaggi might be your best bet right now. Kut-Ku and Velociprey require you to obtain their guild quest and that's going to take more time than it's worth. Seltas on the other hand shares his set with the Seltas queen so it won't be available until much later in the game

tuffy

that's just how incredibly durable his frill is in this game. If you mount him during the fight AND hit it a bunch of times it sometimes still won't come off from the L3 sleep charge.

I did use his GS practically forever, so it was worth it. Forget his armor though, Velociprey is where it's at.
I'm a little surprised how much trouble people have with that frill. I remember blasting it apart regularly using pellet shot from the starter HBGs without really trying to. Perhaps it's a pellet magnet hitzone or something.

It is a shame how his armor got so much worse, though.

colinp

Banned
Jaggi might be your best bet right now. Kut-Ku and Velociprey require you to obtain their guild quest and that's going to take more time than it's worth. Seltas on the other hand shares his set with the Seltas queen so it won't be available until much later in the game

Awesome, thank you!

Incidentally, what exactly do I need to do to get the guild quest for Kut-Ku and Velociprey? Just curious!

mikeybass

Neo Member

Help!

Full Jaggi gives you the excellent Speed Sharpening Skill, which can be super useful early on with duller starter weapons and decent defense. Plus it's not too hard to farm for.

Anura

Awesome, thank you!

Incidentally, what exactly do I need to do to get the guild quest for Kut-Ku and Velociprey? Just curious!

When you do an expedition and kill a monster or two and/or pick up their shiny drops you have a chance of getting a guild quest after you complete the expedition. Sometimes these guild quests you get will be to hunt a Kut-Ku and Velociprey

The other monsters that are guild quest only are Basarios, Ruby Basarios, Yian Garuga, Kirin, Oroshi Kirin and blue Kut-ku (unless I've forgotten one lol)

So, i just received the offline/caravan urgent gore-magala quest, in the "expedition" quest where i had to search the hunter aces that beast beat me up good time ... was using the Kaiser Bearer charge blade at that time ...

Any recommendations on armor/weapon (using full Nerscylla armor with life gems)? Or am i supposed to be a little bit f*cked?

colinp

Banned
Full Jaggi gives you the excellent Speed Sharpening Skill, which can be super useful early on with duller starter weapons and decent defense. Plus it's not too hard to farm for.

Cool, thanks! Definitely helpful for my Long sword.

Speaking of, I'm at the upgrade junction where I can choose between

Eager Cleaver
Ice Blade
Aikuchi

Any recommendations on which to pursue?

I could not agree more, well except about Dalamadur. lol

The old monsters should just be tossed out. It's like Capcom knows they're garbage because the few good first gen monsters actually did come back in 3U, like Diablos. I wonder if they intentionally left out so many superior third-gen monsters because they know bringing them back for 5 would be a big selling point.

Overall I like 3U's monster lineup better than 4U's so far, honestly. Third gen has a few monsters that are boring to fight like Duramboros (although he's still way better than Gravios), but 4U is a real mixed bag between the great new monsters and the shit old ones.

The monsters they actually need to toss out are Rathian and Rathalos, I'm so tired of fighting those two every iteration... Doesn't help that they become more and more frustrating to fight with each new MH entry.

Also Yian Garuga, get that shit outta here.

I prefer Khezu over Gigginox though.

colinp

Banned
When you do an expedition and kill a monster or two and/or pick up their shiny drops you have a chance of getting a guild quest after you complete the expedition. Sometimes these guild quests you get will be to hunt a Kut-Ku and Velociprey

The other monsters that are guild quest only are Basarios, Ruby Basarios, Yian Garuga, Kirin, Oroshi Kirin and blue Kut-ku (unless I've forgotten one lol)

Ah ok, thank you!

ilium

So, i just received the offline/caravan urgent gore-magala quest, in the "expedition" quest where i had to search the hunter aces that beast beat me up good time ... was using the Kaiser Bearer charge blade at that time ...

Any recommendations on armor/weapon (using full Nerscylla armor with life gems)? Or am i supposed to be a little bit f*cked?

he is a wall for most players i'd say. you could get the tetsucabra armor for more defense and HP or the velociprey armor for more attack. both are popular choices.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Cool, thanks! Definitely helpful for my Long sword.

Speaking of, I'm at the upgrade junction where I can choose between

Eager Cleaver
Ice Blade
Aikuchi

Any recommendations on which to pursue?

I'm at the same juntion too. As I recall Eager Cleaver & Ice Blade have elemental effects so that's what I'd be looking at personally (though I haven't seen some of the required components yet). The Aikuchi can be forged, so that would seem like a waste of an upgrade path to me.

he is a wall for most players i'd say. you could get the tetsucabra armor for more defense and HP or the velociprey armor for more attack. both are popular choices.
I could switch to Yian-Kut-Ku armor, got the full set, but it has slighlty lower defence stats, and since that darned beast went rampage on me nearly all the time, i dont know if i want to lower my defence. ^^

Could the increased mobility of the IG be helpful?

Busaiku

Insect Glaive is definitely a good choice for that if you're having trouble.
You can get under it and strike for a lot of hits while it's launching the projectiles.
The main thing is that you wanna be close, staying far just puts you in terrible spots.

ilium

I could switch to Yian-Kut-Ku armor, got the full set, but it has slighlty lower defence stats, and since that darned beast went rampage on me nearly all the time, i dont know if i want to lower my defence. ^^

Could the increased mobility of the IG be helpful?

don't forget that you can upgrade armor with armor spheres, so use armor that has skills that are usefull for you.
i wouldn't really recommend Nerscylla armor unless you are using sword and shield. however you could use the speed setup skill on that armor to put down traps during the fight real fast and give yourself some openings. no shame in playing dirty.

Plus Tetsucabra Armour looks incredible!

yep! it will also easily last for the rest of low rank.

mikeybass

Neo Member
don't forget that you can upgrade armor with armor spheres, so use armor that has skills that are usefull for you.
i wouldn't really recommend Nerscylla armor unless you are using sword and shield. however you could use the speed setup skill on that armor to put down traps during the fight real fast and give yourself some openings. no shame in playing dirty.

Plus Tetsucabra Armour looks incredible!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ughhh new job has me absolutely swamped, haven't been able to hunt in over a week. I'll make my way up eventually, but I hope all of the HR lobbies don't empty as everyone else makes it to G

Nerscylla armour makes it easy to be immune to poison. I hate poison.
And you look like a gundam mecha!

colinp

Banned
I'm at the same juntion too. As I recall Eager Cleaver & Ice Blade have elemental effects so that's what I'd be looking at personally (though I haven't seen some of the required components yet). The Aikuchi can be forged, so that would seem like a waste of an upgrade path to me.

Yeah I noticed those elemental effects, too. Right now I'm leaning toward the cleaver but I'll have to check whether I can even get those mats yet or not.

ilium

Nerscylla armour makes it easy to be immune to poison. I hate poison.
And you look like a gundam mecha!

true, but i think he specifically asked for advice against gore magala. and since there is no poison in play during that fight... ;)

my current armor setup has Double Poison. :<

Eat for felyne Explorer in volcano, primal forest, and frozen seaway.

Best way is to do the Gravios quest.
Mine in 4, 7, 8, 9, break Gravios's back and end via Subquest.

Thanks!

I'll attempt these when I'm off work this afternoon ^_^

I finally figured out HR Velocidrome and got the parts I needed, just ranked up repeated guild quests.

I don't cart often, however, entering quests in HR with 166 defense - I feel like a liability - staying further back from action, than I'd like (demolition blades dual blade).

I have over 400 hours in 3U - so, I know what not to do (rush in careless, have -10 weaknesses, forget to eat, not bring traps, etc.).

I'm at over 60 hours so far, in 4U, barely scratching the surface.

Firecell and Dragonbone relics are the last things I need for my HR mix set.

Alright, thanks for the tipps! Let's see if that Schlep is going down this evening! Regarding the amor upgrades, since i drown in those items (the low rank, that is) all my armor parts are upgraded until the amorspheres+ are required. :)

And yeah, Nerscylla-armor looks awesome, sadly the style is not a factor in the battle ... j/k

Well ... at least it's better than the Kut-Ku armor ... that one makes my hunter look like he is wearing cloth/silk-pants to an armor.

zogged

Anyone have time to help out with the urgent Shagaru in the gathering hall? We've been carting all night and could use another couple of people. Id is 63-7330-9627-1622

Venfayth

Are all the quests in the Gathering Hall intended to be done multiplayer? Are they more difficult than the single player quests I've been doing?

Fandangox

Are all the quests in the Gathering Hall intended to be done multiplayer? Are they more difficult than the single player quests I've been doing?

Monsters in the gathering hall are balanced for 2-3 People, they have more health. I don't think their other stats change though.

redcrayon

Hah hah, turns out Gobul does appear in MH4- as a fluffy toy behind the quest lady in a cut scene as you reach high rank in single player!

Looks like her part-time job is selling plushies :D

Classic quote from her at this point-
"You don't have to do it alone, you just have to do most of the dangerous work!"

Xater

Switched to gun lance and got my frill. I think I'll stick with this weapon for now. Otherwise I will just stick with what I played in MH3U (great sword and hammer)

Would love to play more long sword but the combo still seems like a bad idea online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom