• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimPanzer

cracked the 200 hour mark yesterday and finished my new IG set with

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
EvadeDist
Evasion +1

I really want challenger +2 on it too and think it's possible with the right charm. At least I know what I'm looking out for the next 100 hours.

R0ckman

I could not agree more, well except about Dalamadur. lol

The old monsters should just be tossed out. It's like Capcom knows they're garbage because the few good first gen monsters actually did come back in 3U, like Diablos. I wonder if they intentionally left out so many superior third-gen monsters because they know bringing them back for 5 would be a big selling point.

Overall I like 3U's monster lineup better than 4U's so far, honestly. Third gen has a few monsters that are boring to fight like Duramboros (although he's still way better than Gravios), but 4U is a real mixed bag between the great new monsters and the shit old ones.

Yeah, this is making me want to go back to 3U

Kinsei

Banned

The old monsters should just be tossed out. It's like Capcom knows they're garbage because the few good first gen monsters actually did come back in 3U, like Diablos. I wonder if they intentionally left out so many superior third-gen monsters because they know bringing them back for 5 would be a big selling point.

Overall I like 3U's monster lineup better than 4U's so far, honestly. Third gen has a few monsters that are boring to fight like Duramboros (although he's still way better than Gravios), but 4U is a real mixed bag between the great new monsters and the shit old ones.

Diablos.... good? Diablos has always and most likely will always be shit.

Honestly I like some of the older monsters more than the their third gen counterparts. Kut-Ku is a nice tutorial without a stupid monster summoning gimmick. Gravios is better than Uragann because you don't have to sit and wait for a stupid spindash to end. Gigginox spent way too much time on the ceiling to be any fun to fight melee. Dire Miralis was somehow even more boring to fight that gen 1 & 2 Fatalis. Barioth was just a crappier Nargacuga. I could keep going on.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Can someone help me out with how to hunt with some of you lovely people? My multiplayer experience so far has been, well, terrible.

Shiina

cracked the 200 hour mark yesterday and finished my new IG set with

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
EvadeDist
Evasion +1

I really want challenger +2 on it too and think it's possible with the right charm. At least I know what I'm looking out for the next 100 hours.

Yeah you'll need a really good charm for that (Evade Dist. +7 and Evasion +9 OOO actually, but good luck getting that). There's a lot you can do with Edgemaster +4 OOO and Sharpness +7 OOO but all my charm luck went into getting great GS charms so far, and I don't even play GS. My set is pretty cookie cutter and has Honed Blade, Razor Sharp, Challenger+2 and Bombardier/Tremor Res/Speed Sharpening depending on what I'm fighting.

Shengar

I don't think their health changes, but their defense.
Np, health is also scaling but since their defense is much bigger, soloing Guild Hall monster will always take more time than their Caravan quest counterpart.
Barioth was just a crappier Nargacuga. I could keep going on.
Well, both of them aren't in the game, so there's no need to pit them against each other.

Just fought Apex Seregios with a team where only 1 person had a wystone

Holy fuck

One guy had 380 defense too

How the hell they can even make it to G Rank ffs

Mupod

When Tri came out it felt like a real generational leap in terms of monster design. The few returning monsters got huge overhauls, Rathian and Rathalos were completely different. And the standards rose immensely for hitboxes, monster behaviours, and animations. Weapons got expanded movesets and of course we got underwater combat. Problem is this came at a cost and the game severely lacked content.

I can't fault MH4U for bringing back everyone and the kitchen sink because that's what the playerbase demanded. But I never liked Gravios or Kushala Daora and don't feel like they were updated to the standards of what we should be expecting nowadays. It's weird because we've got monsters like Gore Magala and Seltas Queen who are unique and very deserving of their spots in the roster. But they also brought back most of the dromes...including fucking cephadrome, who asked for that?

I'm curious how the next game will play out. Will they go nuts and bring back all the 3rd and 4th gen monsters? Will they throw underwater combat back in? Or will we have another Tri situation where it's all new stuff? I'd say after the direction they took with 4 they'll stick with the 'ridiculous amounts of monsters and weapons' approach.

colinp

Banned
Alright yeah that Kings Frill is a bit of a pain.

I'm having the hardest time mounting the g jaggi.

Tried breaking it with a gun lance and a HBG and no luck. I wonder if my cats are doing too much damage and screwing it up...?

So, a story from playing with a random last night.

I post a gathering hall to hunt Red Khezu. I get a random with an IG and an armor set weak to thunder. I think... okay, maybe he knows what he's doing (bad mistake). Dude doesn't eat for Thundercaller also. But, I'm short on time and need Redzu parts.
So we start and the only move this guy will do is the jump attack. That's it. Only the jump attack. So he's hopping around everywhere, missing, getting thrown back by Redzu's screams. Gets carted. Then again. The DevilJho shows up because we're taking so long since I'm basically soloing him. We finally get Redzu to limp! Yay! Redzu goes into another area, I stay back for a second to heal up and reload while the random runs right in.
Right when I enter.... missions over, cart #3. RAWR There went 30 minutes I won't get back.

Shiina

Actually regarding that IG set you would also need a 3 slot weapon and I don't think there are any good ones.

Just fought Apex Seregios with a team where only 1 person had a wystone

Holy fuck

One guy had 380 defense too

Urgents should be toned down a bit but solo only so you don't see people like this in special G. I would have just kicked them or left, even if Apex Steve is one of the easiest Apex monster in the game.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Alright yeah that Kings Frill is a bit of a pain.

I'm having the hardest time mounting the g jaggi.

Tried breaking it with a gun lance and a HBG and no luck. I wonder if my cats are doing too much damage and screwing it up...?

Hammer to the face will do the trick. Worked for me anyway. Same with the Tetsucabra. You've got to watch your timing, but when it hits it hits HARD.

Best way to get head carves since MHFU :)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
How the hell they can even make it to G Rank ffs
i have no clue what i am doing. i am only on rank 2 after 20hr. though i did do few caravan quests. but its easy to get to a higher rank if you go online and let others do the work. ive seen people even in at my low ass rank do jack shit the whole quest.

colinp

Banned
Hammer to the face will do the trick. Worked for me anyway. Same with the Tetsucabra. You've got to watch your timing, but when it hits it hits HARD.

Best way to get head carves since MHFU :)

Great! I'll give it a go, thanks!

By the way, when will I run into a tetsucabra? Haven't seen one yet.

Kinsei

Banned
Urgents should be toned down a bit but solo only so you don't see people like this in special G. I would have just kicked them or left, even if Apex Steve is one of the easiest Apex monster in the game.

The only one that I've done that I'd say would need to be toned down if they made it solo only is Dalamadur. That fight relies on you knowing what to do if you want to solo it in a decent amount of time.

It's the first big monster in the 3* quests.

Parshias7

Diablos.... good? Diablos has always and most likely will always be shit.

Honestly I like some of the older monsters more than the their third gen counterparts. Kut-Ku is a nice tutorial without a stupid monster summoning gimmick. Gravios is better than Uragann because you don't have to sit and wait for a stupid spindash to end. Gigginox spent way too much time on the ceiling to be any fun to fight melee. Dire Miralis was somehow even more boring to fight that gen 1 & 2 Fatalis. Barioth was just a crappier Nargacuga. I could keep going on.

Gravios is straight up garbage. Who thought it was a good idea to make a monster that has attacks bounce off every single part of his except one, and then put the one part you can actually attack up really high? Wait for his laser, then wait for the gas, then run in and attack, but oh wait your draw attack doesn't hit high, so you can't do any damage until your second swing and then right after that he's doing a new attack, so better back off. Enjoy running in, poking him once, then running away for the next half hour. But hey you can mount him and break his back! Unless he sits in a corner away from any ramps and spams his laser for five fucking minutes. Fuck Gravios.

mikeybass

Neo Member

It a three star quest, the first urgent quest you get in the next town you visit. Don't you worry, you'll know when you meet him.

If you want some practice you can take one on at any point by solo-ing a low level multiplayer quest that should be available to you now. I'd work on sorting you Jaggi Armour first though. Tetsucabra can do some serious damage.

Kinsei

Banned
Gravios is straight up garbage. Who thought it was a good idea to make a monster that has attacks bounce off every single part of his except one, and then put the one part you can actually attack up really high? Wait for his laser, then wait for the gas, then run in and attack, but oh wait your draw attack doesn't hit high, so you can't do any damage until your second swing and then right after that he's doing a new attack, so better back off. Enjoy running in, poking him once, then running away for the next half hour. But hey you can mount him and break his back! Unless he sits in a corner away from any ramps and spams his laser for five fucking minutes. Fuck Gravios.

While using rank appropriate weapons I've not bounced off of Gravios's feet.

Even if you can't mount him, he's really easy to trip.

Finally got to and killed G Jaggi last night.

Is there any way to get humble scraps early on? I have a second felyne I can't use because I don't have any equipment for him. Or should I just not worry about it.

Monsters in the gathering hall are balanced for 2-3 People, they have more health. I don't think their other stats change though.

How much more difficult are these to solo. If I'm doing 3* solo quests, can I do 1* guild quests? Any kind of rough rule like that.

mikeybass

Neo Member
How much more difficult are these to solo. If I'm doing 3* solo quests, can I do 1* guild quests? Any kind of rough rule like that.

as mentioned above a killed a multiplayer Tetsucabra solo before facing the one from the solo campaign. It wasn't impossible, but it was definitely harder.

Take ALL the health potions you can!

Kinsei

Banned
Finally got to and killed G Jaggi last night.

Is there any way to get humble scraps early on? I have a second felyne I can't use because I don't have any equipment for him. Or should I just not worry about it.

No way to get them early on. You need to do a certain 4* quest to get access to the materials required to make cat equipment.

No general rule as it all comes down to skill. For instance some people can solo the highest rank of the guild hall and others have a hard time soloing things below their gear level.

Busaiku

Definitely.
I think a 2 star lag between Caravan and Guild is a good estimation.
It becomes a bit trickier with the different ranks, but I've generally been doing 2 and then 2 (Caravan than Guild).

Shengar

At least Steel Uragaan doesn't have that move&shoot while farting hot gas that it can spam like Black Gravios.

Airan

Definitely. Try them out. I think only the monster's HP gets increased by 2.5x, so solo'ing GH quests are more of an endurance test than anything really.

colinp

Banned
It a three star quest, the first urgent quest you get in the next town you visit. Don't you worry, you'll know when you meet him.

If you want some practice you can take one on at any point by solo-ing a low level multiplayer quest that should be available to you now. I'd work on sorting you Jaggi Armour first though. Tetsucabra can do some serious damage.

Yeah, maybe I'll give it a try after I ger my armor.

Speaking, got a frill using the hammer! Awesome!

It showed up after the mission on the results screen, not from carving... Is that normal?

One more to go but I gotta get some sleep. Thanks for all the help kids!

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, maybe I'll give it a try after I ger my armor.

It showed up after the mission on the results screen, not from carving... Is that normal?

One more to go but I gotta get some sleep. Thanks for all the help kids!

Yes. The only breakable part you carve is the tail, everything else shows up in the rewards.

burgerdog

I was able to craft the Kaiser body/gloves last night. Daora and Tetsu today, speaking of which, the latter always appears during the volcano harvest tour, right?

Bowgun, man... Bowgun. The guy is a super cakewalk for a ranged player. Gravios is one of those monsters that promotes people having a diverse weapon pool.

tuffy

Any breakable part that doesn't stay on the field (like a carvable tail) always shows up in the quest rewards.

JimPanzer

Yeah you'll need a really good charm for that (Evade Dist. +7 and Evasion +9 OOO actually, but good luck getting that). There's a lot you can do with Edgemaster +4 OOO and Sharpness +7 OOO but all my charm luck went into getting great GS charms so far, and I don't even play GS. My set is pretty cookie cutter and has Honed Blade, Razor Sharp, Challenger+2 and Bombardier/Tremor Res/Speed Sharpening depending on what I'm fighting.

Getting some good gear from guild quests will make it easier to get Challenger +2 I hope. I might drop Evade Dist or Evasion+1 down the line, but currently I'm feeling that those two skills improve my offensive (as well as defensive) capabilities more than challenger would do.

Iceman829

Anyone else here still working on HR 3 quests? I've only been able to do some village quests since the weekend (busy at work) and wouldn't mind finding some people that play in the evenings (EST) or or the weekend. I really don't mind what we hunt either.

Shengar

I'd be down: he's the easiest source of Lrg Elder Drgngems imo.

I don't need anything from it, but I'd join. It would have to be after 4:30PM PDT, though!
Cool, I'll be making the room later this weekend though.
If you attack a monster with the weapon element it is most weak to, does that bypass deflection?

Nope, not at all. Silver Los head still bounce my Kecha Wacha lance/LS regardless of its white sharpness and water element.

VandalD

Anyone else here still working on HR 3 quests? I've only been able to do some village quests since the weekend (busy at work) and wouldn't mind finding some people that play in the evenings (EST) or or the weekend. I really don't mind what we hunt either.
No, but if you post a room when I'm around, I'd be willing to help. I'm sure others would too.

zogged

Oh man, 4 HR Shagaru fights later we managed to get the entire hall to HR7 and the cost of a 3ds shaped bruise on my right palm.

Shiina

The only one that I've done that I'd say would need to be toned down if they made it solo only is Dalamadur. That fight relies on you knowing what to do if you want to solo it in a decent amount of time.

I meant adjust the HP to around Caravan levels. I think it would be unfair to expect people to take down bosses with twice as much HP (or def or however they balance multiplayer) as usual but a Caravan level solo should definitely be expected of people.
At least in the G ranks.

DooD1234

As I practice charge blade guard point (and fail every attempt) I just come to realize watching videos I'm supposed to press R+X at the same time not hold R first then press X as that apparently don't have any guard point at all. Another method is during mid combo doing R+X. I feel like an idiot for not realizing this sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom