• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrael

Pinky got a new move and a tweak on her attack that makes her fight whole lot different. Meanwhil, Azure Rathalos just stay up in the air longer, and more likely to execute combos (especially in G Rank) but in the endd he doesn't feel much different or harder in that matter since he doesn't have any new move or tweak.

Yeah, she seems more aggressive and much harder to avoid.

Do monsters get harder every time you complete a caravan quest? I've noticed a few times the first time I'll fight a monster it'll go down with no problem, but then when I go back to try to farm materials I'll get carted a couple times and it'll take longer. I'm not sure if it's actually harder to if I'm just getting greedy the second time around and making more mistakes.

I'm curious because I'm not really worrying too much about cutting tails and breaking heads and stuff at this point, and I don't want to "level up" monsters to the point where it's too hard to get specific items I might want later.

Yrael

Do monsters get harder every time you complete a caravan quest? I've noticed a few times the first time I'll fight a monster it'll go down with no problem, but then when I go back to try to farm materials I'll get carted a couple times and it'll take longer. I'm not sure if it's actually harder to if I'm just getting greedy the second time around and making more mistakes.

I'm curious because I'm not really worrying too much about cutting tails and breaking heads and stuff at this point, and I don't want to "level up" monsters to the point where it's too hard to get specific items I might want later.

I'm pretty sure it's more likely to be the latter (making mistakes because you know you've already passed it once before - it's easy to become overconfident).

zogged

Only just got around to fighting Seregios tonight for the first time, what a fun monster to hunt. Gonna smash online for a while again now.

Yeah, the Acorn wyvern is definitely my favourite monster of this gen. Such a fun fight against a really well animated and realized monster. Would definitely recommend grinding out some of his weapons.

burgerdog

I am one diablos hardhorn away from the beautiful GS set that Shiina recommended. Well, the armor is complete, the sword needs the hardhorn. So close now.

I'll be on in 25ish minutes and will see if you have room.

I apologize, I made this one room and people came and feel bad leaving now. But after this one quest I'll make one strictly for wystones only

Honestly, I wouldn't mind 25 minutes before we start, jorge. That would definitely give me enough time to finish and submit this paper (due in 1.5 hours). That way I won't have to quit after an hour.

jorgejjvr

Honestly, I wouldn't mind 25 minutes before we start, jorge. That would definitely give me enough time to finish and submit this paper (due in 1.5 hours). That way I won't have to quit after an hour.
Sounds good then. So in that case I'll just wait until you guys are ready then, i'll be doing quests till then

_Isaac

So someone suggested I get a Tetsucabra armor set. So I did. I think. I'm not sure how to tell if you already have a full set. I didn't see anything say set completed, and I don't feel much of a difference. All I know is that I don't have my cool Kecha ninja mask anymore. Am I supposed to buy a Tetsu jacket AND a Tetsu vest under it or something?

I'm pretty sure it's more likely to be the latter (making mistakes because you know you've already passed it once before - it's easy to become overconfident).

Alright, kind of thought that's what it was. The screen that shows you how each monster you beat sets a new record for length was making me think they were actually getting stronger though.

So someone suggested I get a Tetsucabra armor set. So I did. I think. I'm not sure how to tell if you already have a full set. I didn't see anything say set completed, and I don't feel much of a difference. All I know is that I don't have my cool Kecha ninja mask anymore. Am I supposed to buy a Tetsu jacket AND a Tetsu vest under it or something?

A full set means you've got five different pieces of Tetsucabra armor (head, chest, gloves, legs, feet).

You'll likely need to kill multiple Tetsucabras to have all the materials to craft every piece.

In the armor listing at the forge, the FIRST piece listed is for blademasters, and the SECOND piece is gunners/bows.

So for example if you see two pieces of Tetsucabra listed under Chest armor, the first is for blademaster, the second is for ranged.

Seil

The vest is a piece of gunner armor.

There's not a normal "set bonus" but rather each piece of armor has skill points. When the total number of points in a certain skill reach a threshold, you get that skill. All skills require at least 10 points to activate and some have higher tiers at 15, 20 etc. There are also negatives at -10 etc.

Generally a given set will have a couple skills, but you can mix and match parts for skills as well.

Edit: You can check the current state of your skill points via the status menu.

You need everything minus weapon coming from Tetsucabra. Sets are the easiest way to gain special abilities, which will be shown in your status menu. There often is a negative effect, which can be negated with decorations on the armor.

_Isaac

A full set means you've got five different pieces of Tetsucabra armor (head, chest, gloves, legs, feet).

You'll likely need to kill multiple Tetsucabras to have all the materials to craft every piece.

In the armor listing at the forge, the FIRST piece listed is for blademasters, and the SECOND piece is gunners/bows.

So for example if you see two pieces of Tetsucabra listed under Chest armor, the first is for blademaster, the second is for ranged.

Oh yeah I was wondering what that meant. So if I get a blademaster everything, but then get a gunner vest, does that not count as a full set, or do they just have to be all Tetsus? I know they're all Tetsu stuff, but I don't know if I got all blademaster.

Seil

Oh yeah I was wondering what that meant. So if I get a blademaster everything, but then get a gunner vest, does that not count as a full set, or do they just have to be all Tetsus? I know they're all Tetsu stuff, but I don't know if I got all blademaster.

If you can equip it while wielding a blademaster weapon, it's blademaster gear.

Only the headpieces are interchangeable, everything else is locked to your weapon class. Only bowgun and bow users can wear gunner armor, outside of the headgear.

As for the set question, see my previous post on skill points above. That's where it really matters and where you'll see the differences related to wearing a set, really.

If you have all of the blademaster stuff, you have a full set you can equip as a blademaster. If you use a ranged weapon you have to use specialized armor, which is what the separate gunner sets are.

On a related note, I'm still a little confused about sets myself. I understand that you unlock skills at different point thresholds, but what are the active skills listed for each piece of a set? Do those activate when equip something regardless of points, or is that just letting you know what skills you'll have if you equip the whole set or something?

KimChi

Thanks for joining the room guys ^^, sorry whoever was sassy that joined the first room and didnt get back in the 2nd time.
If you guys are up for it we can knock out some more non-key quests tomorrow.

Victrix

*beard*
Armor sets, skills, and gems are an absolute trainwreck of ui and design failures, and I really hope they work on addressing them in MH5, they did a lot of good accessibility work in this game... but I still see people in HR with 5-10 non-activated skills, and I don't blame them.

Having gems and skills named differently is beyond stupid.

Again, just let me know when you guys are available for wystones quests

Just finished my paper. I just have to submit it online now. Go ahead and make the room and I'll be there in a few minutes.

Armor sets, skills, and gems are an absolute trainwreck of ui and design failures, and I really hope they work on addressing them in MH5, they did a lot of good accessibility work in this game... but I still see people in HR with 5-10 non-activated skills, and I don't blame them.

Having gems and skills named differently is beyond stupid.

I agree that having specific gem names that aren't the skill names at all is kind of stupid, but you do realize you can make the gem list show the skill names instead, right?

Seil

If you have all of the blademaster stuff, you have a full set you can equip as a blademaster. If you use a ranged weapon you have to use specialized armor, which is what the separate gunner sets are.

On a related note, I'm still a little confused about sets myself. I understand that you unlock skills at different point thresholds, but what are the active skills listed for each piece of a set? Do those activate when equip something regardless of points, or is that just letting you know what skills you'll have if you equip the whole set or something?

The Active Skills page when checking out a piece of gear shows what skills you'll have active after equipping that piece. That is to say, which skills will be at their activation point after the piece is equipped.

So, when comparing two pieces of gear side by side, you can see if you'll lose or gain a skill by changing the piece.

Victrix

*beard*
I agree that having specific gem names that aren't the skill names at all is kind of stupid, but you do realize you can make the gem list show the skill names instead, right?

Of course I do, that's one of the reasons it's dumb as hell, there's literally no good reason for it.

There's so many ways to fuck yourself over as a new player with armor and gems - buying gunner armor instead of blademaster, unable to find skills because they don't match up with gem names, not understanding the 10/15/20 point breakpoints, not knowing a single +1 gem can remove a -10 penalty, not knowing what the higher levels actually do.

The list goes on and on. It's just not a clean system at all. Once you understand it, yeah, it's great, and you can make a lot of really cool custom armor that suits your personal play style and weapon preferences - but getting to that point is way more awkward than it should be.

Oh and end-game G rank clownsuits for skills are a total fail, where's our cosmetic armor slots :<

Juraash

My god that Rathian/Red Khezu quest was even worse than I imagined. I finished with literally 18 seconds left. I'm so bad against Khezu and his pals that it just wrecks my times. I'd have gone gunner but I don't have the weapons or the experience with Rathian at range to do it. That was literally the worst I've ever done in a quest that I've actually finished.

I don't know whether the Seregios urgent will be better or worse. I could see a triple cart real easy if I fuck up the bleed thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom