• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinp

Banned
Status Atk +2 plus a good Para/Sleep SnS and Barrel Bomb Large+ = gg no re

I love it

EDIT: ^^ His head will just have a bunch of tatters and holes in his frill, it's fairly easy to spot once you see the little break effect appear (The shatters going everywhere)

Hmmm, I guess I'm not hitting him in the right spot then.

Is it possible for my felynes to do too much damage and kinda screw everything up?

yup random, just ocd about completing all quests for each HR. I can't play right now though gotta do some stuff first, should be able to play in 30min or so hopefully.

Sure, I'll be here.

Hmmm, I guess I'm not hitting him in the right spot then.

Is it possible for my felynes to do too much damage and kinda screw everything up?

I hope I can join you guys when you have the room up.

Lynx_7

So I guess I'm just gonna do a noob diary of sorts with my latest adventures in the game or something.
First few quests were about as uneventful as I expected, so I just took my time to get used to the controls, which didn't take as long as I expected, but definetely took a lot of herbivore monsters lives so I'm sorry about that, and learn the game's mechanics. I'm feeling somewhat comfortable right now, but I'm sure there must be a giant monster hanging around in a future quest giggling like a doofus just waiting to show me how much of a pathetic scrub I still am but hey I'm gonna enjoy myself until then.

First big quest was to slay the Great Jaggi, and it was the most fun one so far. It wasn't hard like I was expecting it to be, in fact it was pretty easy, but I had a great time with it. Definetely got me excited to hunt the gigantic foes that I'm bound to encounter sooner or later. The only thing that is currently frustrating me is the fact that I managed to mount it once and then never again. Which is bad because I learned that is the best way of breaking his head, which would give me a King's Frill which is nice because that's what I want.

I realised then that there were a bunch of missions for me to test every weapon, so I did them even though I'd chosen to stick with the Greatsword. Turns out I really like the Longsword and Charge Blade, at least on a first impression. I also liked the Hammer and Sword and Shield, though less than the other 2 mentioned. Also turns out I absolutely suck with Lances, Dual Blades and shooty stuff. It's funny because my brother loved the Lance but wasn't very fond of the Greatsword and I'm sure there's something ironic about that somewhere.
Unfortunately I still can't forge better Longswords and Charge Blades so I'll just stick with the Greatsword for now, which isn't a bad thing since I like it too.

I also really like carrying eggs. There was this one mission where I kept dropping the eggs on the ground because I didn't realise my character did that when his stamina depleted. It also took me a while to learn how to make the damn things drop the eggs in the first place. Then when I managed to carry a golden and normal egg back to the box, turns out giant rock from space decided to cockblock the path I had been using until then. I got confused for a few minutes trying to find my way back before I noticed the game was deliberately laughing at my face and realised I had to use another path. Some painful realisations later, like learning that your character can't stop the egg from breaking after jumping from a 500ft. mountain (I was surprised too), I managed to arrive at the starting area with a few minutes left on the clock. I got so relieved I just gunned for the box and wait oops did the egg just fall? Oh, I forgot to check my stamina. Now I have to do that quest all over again. So dreams do come true.
That equipment seller better be fucking grateful for those goddamn eggs. I know I don't have to do every single quest to advance my ranking but since I'm still at the beginning of the game, gathering lots of supplies and stuff, then I'll take what I can get.

So I guess I'm just gonna do a noob diary of sorts with my latest adventures in the game or something.
First few quests were about as uneventful as I expected, so I just took my time to get used to the controls, which didn't take as long as I expected, but definetely took a lot of herbivore monsters lives so I'm sorry about that, and learn the game's mechanics. I'm feeling somewhat comfortable right now, but I'm sure there must be a giant monster hanging around in a future quest giggling like a doofus just waiting to show me how much of a pathetic scrub I still am but hey I'm gonna enjoy myself until then.

First big quest was to slay the Great Jaggi, and it was the most fun one so far. It wasn't hard like I was expecting it to be, in fact it was pretty easy, but I had a great time with it. Definetely got me excited to hunt the gigantic foes that I'm bound to encounter sooner or later. The only thing that is currently frustrating me is the fact that I managed to mount it once and then never again. Which is bad because I learned that is the best way of breaking his head, which would give me a King's Frill which is nice because that's what I want.

I realised then that there were a bunch of missions for me to test every weapon, so I did them even though I'd chosen to stick with the Greatsword. Turns out I really like the Longsword and Charge Blade, at least on a first impression. I also liked the Hammer and Sword and Shield, though less than the other 2 mentioned. Also turns out I absolutely suck with Lances, Dual Blades and shooty stuff. It's funny because my brother loved the Lance but wasn't very fond of the Greatsword and I'm sure there's something ironic about that somewhere.
Unfortunately I still can't forge better Longswords and Charge Blades so I'll just stick with the Greatsword for now, which isn't a bad thing since I like it too.

I also really like carrying eggs. There was this one mission where I kept dropping the eggs on the ground because I didn't realise my character did that when his stamina depleted. It also took me a while to learn how to make the damn things drop the eggs in the first place. Then when I managed to carry a golden and normal egg back to the box, turns out giant rock from space decided to cockblock the path I had been using until then. I got confused for a few minutes trying to find my way back before I noticed the game was deliberately laughing at my face and realised I had to use another path. Some painful realisations later, like learning that your character can't stop the egg from breaking after jumping from a 500ft. mountain (I was surprised too), I managed to arrive at the starting area with a few minutes left on the clock. I got so relieved I just gunned for the box and wait oops did the egg just fall? Oh, I forgot to check my stamina. Now I have to do that quest all over again. So dreams do come true.
That equipment seller better be fucking grateful for those goddamn eggs. I know I don't have to do every single quest to advance my ranking but since I'm still at the beginning of the game, gathering lots of supplies and stuff, then I'll take what I can get.

A newcomer to the series, and likes the egg carry quests as much as I do? You, my dear fellow, are very welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. We should be friends. We shall deliver ALL the eggs.

Any way, onto helpful stuff. Mounting is on a threshold system.

For example, (these numbers are made up, but this is how it works)

Great Jaggi might have 100 mounting threshold at low rank. Doing one jump attack takes away 50. So two jump attacks, and his threshold is down to 0, and you successfully mount on the 2nd jump attack.

But now his threshold is at 200. So now you need 4 jump attacks for the next mount.

Monster mounting thresholds go up each time you mount them, and there comes a point where you're just a liability to your team if all you're doing is attempting to mount. 2, maybe 3 mounts depending on the map/monster should be all you aim for.

Overside

Banned
I am literally covered in gallons of elder dragon blood, from dozens of elder dragons, but I am apparently just too stupid to squeeze some off of my shirt and into a jar.

>.>

Cerity

Man they really need to fix the collision/clipping in this game. Just had a rathain stick its head through a ledge to fireball me and had a tetsu earlier dig up a boulder and jump right through it.

Lynx_7

A newcomer to the series, and likes the egg carry quests as much as I do? You, my dear fellow, are very welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. We should be friends. We shall deliver ALL the eggs.

Any way, onto helpful stuff. Mounting is on a threshold system.

For example, (these numbers are made up, but this is how it works)

Great Jaggi might have 100 mounting threshold at low rank. Doing one jump attack takes away 50. So two jump attacks, and his threshold is down to 0, and you successfully mount on the 2nd jump attack.

But now his threshold is at 200. So now you need 4 jump attacks for the next mount.

Monster mounting thresholds go up each time you mount them, and there comes a point where you're just a liability to your team if all you're doing is attempting to mount. 2, maybe 3 mounts depending on the map/monster should be all you aim for.

Do I just automatically mount on the second drop, or do I have to drop once again on him once he is downed, or do I get near him or something? I'm asking this because I remember doing a drop attack on him and he fell on the ground for a little bit, but I didn't have enough time to try to jump above him again.
Maybe I just wasn't attacking him from a high enough place and that's why it wasn't working?

HR to early (and even late) G1 isn't too bad depending on the armor you have. I used the Tetsucabra S armor geared for defense for quite a while with 450-500ish defense (I don't remember exactly), and have seen people with the mid to high 300s in G rank rooms do fine. I eventually played against regular and berserk Tetsucabra a few times in G1 to make a Tetsucabra Z armor with Tetsucabra X legs. This can get you HG earplugs, and 7 charm slots (the Tets X legs give you torso up for more).

Apex doesn't show up until G3, so no need to worry.

Alright thanks. Another question.

Do megademon drugs last until you die? I see might pills give you AuXL but are temporary while Megademon drugs give you AuL, so I'm guessing I should be pro use the cat bomb as a timer and might pills instead of just chugging drugs.

Do I just automatically mount on the second drop, or do I have to drop once again on him once he is downed, or do I get near him or something? I'm asking this because I remember doing a drop attack on him and he fell on the ground for a little bit, but I didn't have enough time to try to jump above him again.
Maybe I just wasn't attacking him from a high enough place and that's why it wasn't working?

Sometimes a jump attack will just straight up knock a monster down so you can beat the hell out of it. If a jump attack brought the threshold to 0, you should automatically mount. Sometimes (I've had it happen 3 times in about 170 hours), you'll jump attack and it brings the threshold to 0, but you landed too far away to auto mount. In this case, if you run close to the downed monster it'll initiate the mount.

Do megademon drugs last until you die? I see might pills give you AuXL but are temporary while Megademon drugs give you AuL, so I'm guessing I should be pro use the cat bomb as a timer and might pills instead of just chugging drugs.

Might pills only last 30 seconds. In the older games, popping a Might Seed after a pill made the pill last seed duration (3 minutes). Seeds are what pros use the felvine bombs to time, not pills. Not sure if popping a seed after a pill still extends pill duration in MH4U.

Seil

Demondrug/Mega Demondrug is a separate buff slot from Seed/Pill.

Food attack buff and demondrugs take the same slot, so they don't stack. But a seed or pill will stack with them. Pills are stronger but only last 30 seconds compared to the seed's 3 minutes.

If you don't eat for attack, there's no reason to not take a demondrug in with you too =p

co1onel

Righto! Thank you kind sir, I shall now make sure I have begun that tree if I haven't already!

:edit:

So If I'm not mistaken, that Fatalis fellow is not in this so I'll have to trade parts when I get to end game?

Actually there is no tree for it. You create the final version. Crimson Fatalis is unlocked at the end of g-rank.

Demondrug/Mega Demondrug is a separate buff slot from Seed/Pill.

Food attack buff and demondrugs take the same slot, so they don't stack. But a seed or pill will stack with them. Pills are stronger but only last 30 seconds compared to the seed's 3 minutes.

If you don't eat for attack, there's no reason to not take a demondrug in with you too =p

I didn't even know that luckily I always eat steamed bread and fish for Def L and Feline defender Hi.

Do we know if the Might Pill lasts longer if you take a Might Seed?

Sorry for the wait! Just finished and making the room now
anyone else interested in cleaning up the non key quests come in :)
ID: 59-4939-6369-5875
pw: 9658

Damn. You put the room up while I was in the middle of this room:

If anyone wants to do Naked and Afraid.
40-1537-2596-1133

I can't even find the gathering hall with 59-4939-6369-5875 to check if it's full, though it probably is. ;_;

Wanderer5

First encounter with the Dah'ren Mohran offline, and blam 3 earth dragongems lol. Decided to work on the Auroros armor then, since I was almost done with it by the time I traded in Mohran parts. Just need a Tigrex scalp bleh.

Yrael

Is it just me, or are Pink Rathian and Gold Rathian a lot harder than Azure Rathalos and Silver Rathalos respectively?

(I'm not yet up to Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos in MH4U, but I did battle them in MH3U.)

Iceman829

If anyone is look to do the HR key quests or something around that level I created a room. I'll be on for about 2 hours.

ID: 09-2514-3627-3438
Pass: 2580

Shengar

Is it just me, or are Pink Rathian and Gold Rathian a lot harder than Azure Rathalos and Silver Rathalos respectively?

(I'm not yet up to Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos in MH4U, but I did battle them in MH3U.)
Pinky got a new move and a tweak on her attack that makes her fight whole lot different. Meanwhil, Azure Rathalos just stay up in the air longer, and more likely to execute combos (especially in G Rank) but in the endd he doesn't feel much different or harder in that matter since he doesn't have any new move or tweak.

That absolutely won't be the case. If you're terrible with CB, your kill times are going to be extremely long.

It took a long time before I felt comfortable with CB and I've been playing this series since 2004. My kill times with the classic weapons were significantly faster until I got more comfortable.

Alright, just wondering from others that have played longer than I. Admittedly, I'm not too far into the game, but it just seems like discharge completely wrecks most fights even without knowing all the nuances of CB.

Unicorn

So, Guild quests. Is it better to just get g rank drops, or is there a benefit to levelling them from level one or 30ish?

I have a level 15 Kirin, but am undecided if I should grind it up or just wait for a better "drop."

Shiina

Anyone want to help me do the wystones quests? And finish up the last couple of G3 I have as well

You've been doing Apex monsters all this time and you didn't even have your wystones?

So, Guild quests. Is it better to just get g rank drops, or is there a benefit to levelling them from level one or 30ish?

I have a level 15 Kirin, but am undecided if I should grind it up or just wait for a better "drop."

The only difference between the GQs is the map layout and bias. If you like both then you should probably level it up if you want a high level Kirin.

jorgejjvr

You've been doing Apex monsters all this time and you didn't even have your wystones?

The only difference between the GQs is the map layout and bias. If you like both then you should probably level it up if you want a high level Kirin.
That was probably my brother, or Alternis. I have not played against any Apex monsters yet

Unicorn

Is there a faster way to level? Seems to only go up 3 levels (I think) each time I complete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom