• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victrix

*beard*
Holy shit that's 60 hours a week since the game came out O_O

Seriously, treat your hands right, that's a hell of a lot of time holding a 3ds and staring at a tiny screen.

Cerity

How!? HOOOOOOW!? My friends are already making fun of me for how much time I spend playing it and I bought it at launch!

Do you guys who have 100+ already get hand cramps?

I'm at 130 now, I did get cramps in the first week but that I'm not sure if that was from making a mass of food or from playing MH for ages. I moved to a circle pad pro and no hints of cramps though.

I'd have more but I slowed down a great deal due to my eye twitching like a crazy.

jackal27

Banned
Man I really hate just how much I love the Charge Blade. I've been playing Monster Hunter since Tri and this is by far my favorite weapon ever.

However, it seems like it's everyone else's as well. Wish there were more variations as well.

HIR0

can i please hav some help with hr7 urgent dalamadur?
hall id is 65-6916-0156-8757
we can do any other quests after :)

Victrix

*beard*
Man I really hate just how much I love the Charge Blade. I've been playing Monster Hunter since Tri and this is by far my favorite weapon ever.

However, it seems like it's everyone else's as well. Wish there were more variations as well.

It's like a twelve year old designed it, after he finished designing the switch axe.

'GUYS GUYS. It's like a sword. And a shield. And an axe. And it has explosions. And it can knock monsters out. And block anything and explode when it blocks!'

Shengar

"Shengar, NeoGAF has asked me here today because all of us care about you and want to let you know how this problem is affecting everyone. Who wants to share first?"
lol
It does give me some problem, though impulsive browsing contribute more to my procrastination problem than MH did
Holy shit that's 60 hours a week since the game came out O_O

Seriously, treat your hands right, that's a hell of a lot of time holding a 3ds and staring at a tiny screen.
My MH4G CPP turns my 3DS into comfortable gaming device that second only to Wii U Pro controlle.

Overside

Banned
It's like a twelve year old designed it, after he finished designing the switch axe.

'GUYS GUYS. It's like a sword. And a shield. And an axe. And it has explosions. And it can knock monsters out. And block anything and explode when it blocks!'

I ... I had to force myself to stop for a while.

Super charged ultimate final smash head crushing Executions on sleeping monsters, were just becoming too addicting. It wasnt even about the carves anymore.

I... I was, going to a dark dark place.

yami4ct

How many hours have you guys logged so far? I just hit 60 hours tonight!

I think I'm around 110-115. Would be longer but have only been able to get a couple hunts in these past couple days. Need to get back in and at least finish the HR Caravan just so I don't fall off the wagon.

Numb

I think I'm around 110-115. Would be longer but have only been able to get a couple hunts in these past couple days. Need to get back in and at least finish the HR Caravan just so I don't fall off the wagon.

Around 150hrs i believe.
Most of it is from the first couple of weeks though

lol
It does give me some problem, though impulsive browsing contribute more to my procrastination problem than MH did
My MH4G CPP turns my 3DS into comfortable gaming device that second only to Wii U Pro controlle.

SO I HELPED A GUY WITH CHAOS GORE AND DID FINE T_T.

I carted once.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay so the second stick on the CPP is realllly nice to have when just exploring/harvesting, and helps gunner quite a lot, but I really wish I could shrink the deadzone and add more analog gradient. It seems more like an 8-way arcade stick as it is, and one that doesn't kick in until you're press it 50% in a given direction. Pretty awkward after I'm used to the beautiful sticks on XBone and Wii U Pro controllers.

The second set of shoulder buttons are actually not nearly as useful as I thought they'd be in terms of camera control, so I'm thinking of changing them to switch target buttons for those multiple monster fights. The grip it adds is kind of odd. Definitely much more comfortable, but tighter in than I expected, kind of like the Wii U gamepad or Dreamcast controller. It makes it as heavy or a bit heavier than the gamepad, but the extra bulk on the back makes resting it on my leg okay. The only annoying thing is needing to manually turn it back on every time I come back from system suspend.

I have 170 hours and never once got hand cramps from this game or any other 3DS game. Hold your 3DS in a looser grip.
Because the 3DS is so goddamn top heavy, if I don't have the bottom corners supported by the part of my palms at the base of my thumbs, the whole system rocks when I use the circle pad and face buttons, and when I press the shoulder buttons it pushes the whole system down. I can take care of the first problem by setting the system down on a table, but that is awkward as fuck and still doesn't take care of the second problem. This is not to mention that using the touchscreen d-pad from that position makes the whole grip precarious.

So, I basically have to support the system by the bottom corners, and there are two basic positions to do this. Either I am holding the system above my lap, looking down at it, or I am holding it up at eye level. When it is down, the weight of the system hinges on my index fingers at the base of the top screen, causing most of the pressure to press the bottom corners into my palms. If it is up, then just the entire weight of the system is held on my palms.

It has nothing to do with my grip, and everything to do with the system being first so goddamn heavy, and second designed in such a way that your grip does not actually support it. If I try to avoid this issue by not supporting the bottom corners with my palms, then I either have to truly smash my hands into the sides of the system to keep it held up, or I have to put my pinkies under the system which is a bit of a reach for them and uncomfortable, just as bothersome holding the weight of the system, and also has a sharp edge that scratches them.

That's really it for me, just the corners jabbing into the palm under my thumbs. Even after not playing for 2 days, that area was a bit sensitive. I don't think "cramps" is the right word, since that is an issue of muscle strain, not being mashed in. Aside from that, I just just think the circle pad feels like shit, which I would call a comfort issue but not a pain-related one, just awkward.

Thanks for the help last night guys :)

About the quest system, once there's a quest available (including Arena challenges), will it be available until I do it? Or will I have to pick and choose which ones to take on, with some disappearing as I complete others?

PKrockin

I'm not really fond of this weapon for this reason. You've got all these weapons that have their own niche, forcing people to pick one and play a role, and here comes charge blade. It blocks and counters like a lance, has burst damage like a greatsword, KOs like a hammer, the concept is just one-upping the SnS and Switch Axe... why would you play anything else? So I get a bunch of multiplayer rooms with 3 charge blades and myself. It's not as much fun as a varied team. I had the same problem in 3U with 60% of people using only long sword and most of the remainder using dual swords, but I just don't see the logic in making a bunch of niche classes and then nearly obsoleting them with another.

I fought these little guys yesterday btw who would be stunned and lay down whenever I attacked them, with stars floating above their heads. I couldn't do anything to them when they were down, and when they got back up they just disappeared. Not running away, literally disappeared the same way the monster corpses do.

What's that all about?

I'm not really fond of this weapon for this reason. You've got all these weapons that have their own niche, forcing people to pick one and play a role, and here comes charge blade. It blocks and counters like a lance, has burst damage like a greatsword, KOs like a hammer, the concept is just one-upping the SnS and Switch Axe... why would you play anything else? So I get a bunch of multiplayer rooms with 3 charge blades and myself. It's not as much fun as a varied team. I had the same problem in 3U with 60% of people using only long sword and most of the remainder using dual swords, but I just don't see the logic in making a bunch of niche classes and then nearly obsoleting them with another.

Cool. So what's your suggestion for someone who's put several hundred hours into every weapon across all the previous games and looking for something new?

And it's not as though charge blade is braindead. Sure, you'll run across a fuckton of people using it. How many people are using it properly?

Guard pointing is easily more complicated and more difficult than lance countering.

colinp

Banned
Am I correct that they only give you enough Super Mushrooms to make either a Mario costume or a Luigi costume but not both...?

Why would they do that???

yami4ct

I fought these little guys yesterday btw who would be stunned and lay down whenever I attacked them, with stars floating above their heads. I couldn't do anything to them when they were down, and when they got back up they just disappeared. Not running away, literally disappeared the same way the monster corpses do.

What's that all about?

You're talking about Kelbi, the little deer/goat things, if I'm reading you right. You can carve them when they're down like that. Give some pretty useful parts. Have no clue why they don't die like other monsters. Too adorable to kill?

Seil

Am I correct that they only give you enough Super Mushrooms to make either a Mario costume or a Luigi costume but not both...?

Why would they do that???

Because the proper method of acquiring the mushrooms is via a future dlc quest. The ones you get from the starter pack are just a bonus.

PKrockin

Because the 3DS is so goddamn top heavy, if I don't have the bottom corners supported by the part of my palms at the base of my thumbs, the whole system rocks when I use the circle pad and face buttons, and when I press the shoulder buttons it pushes the whole system down. I can take care of the first problem by setting the system down on a table, but that is awkward as fuck and still doesn't take care of the second problem. This is not to mention that using the touchscreen d-pad from that position makes the whole grip precarious.

So, I basically have to support the system by the bottom corners, and there are two basic positions to do this. Either I am holding the system above my lap, looking down at it, or I am holding it up at eye level. When it is down, the weight of the system hinges on my index fingers at the base of the top screen, causing most of the pressure to press the bottom corners into my palms. If it is up, then just the entire weight of the system is held on my palms.

It has nothing to do with my grip, and everything to do with the system being first so goddamn heavy, and second designed in such a way that your grip does not actually support it. If I try to avoid this issue by not supporting the bottom corners with my palms, then I either have to truly smash my hands into the sides of the system to keep it held up, or I have to put my pinkies under the system which is a bit of a reach for them and uncomfortable, just as bothersome holding the weight of the system, and also has a sharp edge that scratches them.

That's really it for me, just the corners jabbing into the palm under my thumbs. Even after not playing for 2 days, that area was a bit sensitive. I don't think "cramps" is the right word, since that is an issue of muscle strain, not being mashed in. Aside from that, I just just think the circle pad feels like shit, which I would call a comfort issue but not a pain-related one, just awkward.
Setting the system in between the last two joints of your pinkies is a reach? I have really small hands for a guy and I can do it comfortably. Do you have an XL?

You're talking about Kelbi, the little deer/goat things, if I'm reading you right. You can carve them when they're down like that. Give some pretty useful parts. Have no clue why they don't die like other monsters. Too adorable to kill?

Ah, I thought Kelbi were the big bastards you encounter in the first mission. So the little green deer things are Kelbi I guess. They are pretty adorable :p

Dice

Setting the system in between the last two joints of your pinkies is a reach? I have really small hands for a guy and I can do it comfortably. Do you have an XL?
Yes, it's an XL. To feel properly supported, I have to rest it on the middle of the pinky, just below the first knuckle. To do this I have to turn my hand in a bit from the natural grip angle, and it is *just* far enough of a reach to strain the muscle from the base to the middle knuckle a bit, which would build up over hours of play. Of course, I think this has less to do with the reach itself and more to do with the thing being so goddamn heavy. But I have a CPP now so these are old issues. I will definitely never get a handheld so large ever again.

Overside

Banned
Same to all this, 80hrs too. Still cant beat Gold Rath on HR7. Team keeps carting.

Just finished Soloing gold Rath set for that reason.

Gemmed in evasion, and changed my armor colors, and my pose on my guild card. Now its time to REALLY start farming. Love my Lune mail.

PKrockin

Cool. So what's your suggestion for someone who's put several hundred hours into every weapon across all the previous games and looking for something new?

And it's not as though charge blade is braindead. Sure, you'll run across a fuckton of people using it. How many people are using it properly?

Guard pointing is easily more complicated and more difficult than lance countering.
I didn't call the charge blade a "noob weapon" or its users noobs like a lot of people are doing now. I'm just saying I don't really like how its design undermines the appeal of other weapons.

Yes, it's an XL. To feel properly supported, I have to rest it on the middle of the pinky, just below the first knuckle. To do this I have to turn my hand in a bit from the natural grip angle, and it is *just* far enough of a reach to strain the muscle from the base to the middle knuckle a bit, which would build up over hours of play. Of course, I think this has less to do with the reach itself and more to do with the thing being so goddamn heavy. But I have a CPP now so these are old issues. I will definitely never get a handheld so large ever again.
Hmm, I might have to consider somehow importing a New 3DS regular when/if I decide to buy one. I honestly never considered the XL size being a problem for supporting the system with your pinkies.

Dice

Hmm, I might have to consider somehow importing a New 3DS regular when/if I decide to buy one. I honestly never considered the XL size being a problem for supporting the system with your pinkies.
Yeah I don't have a regular 3DS but my DS lite is WAY better than my XL and I know it's a comparable size to regular 3DS.

I didn't call the charge blade a "noob weapon" or its users noobs like a lot of people are doing now. I'm just saying I don't really like how its design undermines the appeal of other weapons.

I can't speak for SnS since that's one of the weapons I actually have never put much time into, but the gameplay flow of CB is waaaay different from Greatsword and Lance.

CB requires resource management and setup to gain access to its "burst" whereas greatsword has constant access to its burst. It just takes skillful timing and positioning.

CB can only guard like lance if you're maintaining red shield; otherwise the blowback and stamina drain is way greater than lance guarding. Its "counter" also is more dangerous than lance's because it cannot be held, and you cannot be guarding before initiating it.

So who is going to use GS or lance over CB?

A. People who don't want to bother with resource management.
and B. People who genuinely find the weapons unique enough to have different kinds of fun with all three.

Most of my 180 hours in MH4U have been with charge blade because I want to become as proficient with it as I feel I am with GS/lance/hammer/LS/SA.

Seil

Yeah I don't have a regular 3DS but my DS lite is WAY better than my XL and I know it's a comparable size to regular 3DS.

Yeah, see, I don't have as much trouble with my XL as you, but I still don't quite like it. But I'd take it any day over the OG 3DS as I find it more uncomfortable for extended play(and using the d-pad in general is uncomfortable on it imo).

I was really looking forward to the standard n3DS model to play MH4U on since it seems perfect. Unfortunately Nintendo had other plans and decided I didn't actually want that so I'm just using my normal XL x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom