• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzhex

I just realized my playstyle with lance has been to prod monsters in the butthole to death. This epiphany came to me when a Tigrex abruptly died while in an undignified position, to a single poke in the butt.

How do I get stars on my food ? I have two ingredients with a star but I don't know how I got it. Do I have to just carve that monster to get better quality food ?

290K!!!! IN just the US

Holy cow guys

The hunt is real! I imagine the numbers in Europe should be even bigger!

I hope a huge fraction of the newcomers come to love the series and stick with it. As far as I'm concerned, Monster Hunter is Capcom's last franchise they haven't fucked up.

I hope a huge fraction of the newcomers come to love the series and stick with it. As far as I'm concerned, Monster Hunter is Capcom's last franchise they haven't fucked up.

TRUTH

If they keep iterating like they have with 4th gen I will continue to be excited for the future.

I do hope the next one blows me away just like this one did

Yrael

Eee, I've finally got myself a full Mono S set. Feels good to have finally upgraded from the Great Jaggi S set.

I still haven't hopped online yet. Right now I'm focusing on upgrading my Switch-Axes to the top of high rank.

290K!!!! IN just the US

Holy cow guys

The hunt is real! I imagine the numbers in Europe should be even bigger!

Actually, I think NA is the most in the west. There were some good sales in France, Germany and UK. But I doubt it will surpass NA. Anyway just let's hope Capcom is pleased enough, so the next entry won't see such a huge delay again.

Tenck

Naaa all good. Got a full room and currently helping everyone else with their urgent.

I blame lack of sleep for misreading your post. Thought it said HR3 Urgent.

Good a time as any to crash out now.

Edit: Oh and a big thanks to Hawthorne Kitty. Helped me out a bunch!

Did some Teostra guild quests around lv130. Main thing that messed me up with that thing is that stupid charge. Got evade + 2 now and I barely had to heal. Didn't even use my own shit, just the pots at the beginning.

Managed to score a 4 edgemaster helm and a 4 readiness (sheath control) 3 slot talisman. Why couldn't it be edgemaster? ;_;

la_briola

Did some Teostra guild quests around lv130. Main thing that messed me up with that thing is that stupid charge. Got evade + 2 now and I barely had to heal. Didn't even use my own shit, just the pots at the beginning.

Managed to score a 4 edgemaster helm and a 4 readiness (sheath control) 3 slot talisman. Why couldn't it be edgemaster? ;_;
Head GQs are probably the best ones. Wanna share/trade?

Damn, those Caravan 9* quests are hard :(

Any tips for 'Omen in the Skies' (the Azure rathalos one) mission ? I've considered crafting a Nerscylla S set with anti-poison and fire-res 10 gemmed in especially for this mission, is it a good idea ?

Any tips for 'Omen in the Skies' (the Azure rathalos one) mission ? I've considered crafting a Nerscylla S set with anti-poison and fire-res 10 gemmed in especially for this mission, is it a good idea ?

Well, yes, that's a good idea short term, but you might be annoyed if you use a lot of resources just for one quest and then you never end up using the armor again.

tuffy

What sort of weapon are you using? When I was farming that quest with an HBG my solution for his homing claw grabs was to install a shield in order to block them outright and that worked out well enough. Anti-poison should be helpful, but avoiding the hit entirely is preferable if you can (Evasion +1/2 perhaps?). I've also seen flash bombs used to good effect in order to bring him down for some easy hits.

Also, if you take too long you're liable to have to deal with the Pinecone Wyvern also, so have dung bombs ready in order to separate them.

bobohoro

Or just eat for Fire Res up and Firestarter skill and use the slots for something offensive.

Well, yes, that's a good idea short term, but you might be annoyed if you use a lot of resources just for one quest and then you never end up using the armor again.

Which isn't such a problem for Nerscy S armour, since it's easy to make, has decent defense and can help you with any poisonous monster, if they give you trouble, even at the beginning of G-Rank. I'd say it's a pretty great set, up there with Velo S and Tetsu S for HR to early GR usability.

Tom_Cody

Just bought a brand - new - New 3DS with this game and I can't be more excited to start this one! Never played any of the monster hunter games before but I think I'm really going to like it
AU7Amsc.gif

The only thing I want to ask before starting is if there is anything that I can unknowingly miss in my playthrough? I hate it when stuff can only be obtained at that one point in the game and then disappears or becomes unobtainable (Like the zodiac spear in FF XII T_T) and would like to avoid that if possible.

Also, how much does it matter if I pick male or female?
Welcome to the hunt! This is my first game in the series as well. Don't hesitate to ask questions here. This thread has been very helpful to me as I've settled into the game.

There is nothing you can miss. It's kind of the opposite actually, in that there are elements of farming/grinding materials.

Regarding male/female, it is purely an aesthetic difference. It doesn't effect the gameplay at all. That said, it is a fairly significant aesthetic difference in that every armor has male/female variants which can be fairly different. My rough estimate is that online is split 80/20 male to female, so female might make you stand out a bit more. I personally went with female (I'm a dude).

To give you a further answer on character creation, some of the superficial features like hair and clothing can be changed in-game but things like gender and face are set forever. Definitely make sure that you are happy with your character before you dive in. It is worth spending 30 minutes up front so you don't regret what your character looks like for the next 100+ hours.

Shengar

Weird I haven't seen it once. CB and IG take the top spot. Lots of GS and DB, too.
I rarely see IG and DB though, mostly CB or GS somehow. While it's true that SA become unpopular.
I think CB and IG are so abundant because they're new. Even veteran players will be trying them out or learning them.

LBG and HBG are nowhere in sight in my online games. Bows show up at least.
Gunners (and HH users) are very rare, which is why I happy to see them when they enter a random lobby.
Gaffers have their fair share of gunner though, mostly HBG and Bow.

I just realized my playstyle with lance has been to prod monsters in the butthole to death. This epiphany came to me when a Tigrex abruptly died while in an undignified position, to a single poke in the butt.
lol
I don't know why, but when I'm using lance and below the monster, while it's better to use straight thrust, I keep using diagonal thrust instead, as if it is stronger somehow

Out of all Capcom team, I guess MonHun team have the biggest autonomy.

Yes, it's exactly was I fear - especially as far better armors are right around the corner... if I kick Azure's ass :(

What sort of weapon are you using? When I was farming that quest with an HBG my solution for his homing claw grabs was to install a shield in order to block them outright and that worked out well enough. Anti-poison should be helpful, but avoiding the hit entirely is preferable if you can (Evasion +1/2 perhaps?). I've also seen flash bombs used to good effect in order to bring him down for some easy hits.

Also, if you take too long you're liable to have to deal with the Pinecone Wyvern also, so have dung bombs ready in order to separate them.

I main GS, I've yet to diversify into other weapons for the time being (in MHFU I played hammer/GL/LS/GS/LBG). Even with quick-draw, following and reacting to his attacks has been hectic; I will give HBG a try ! A friend seems to work wonder with an IG when pitted against a rathalos, too ^^

Or just eat for Fire Res up and Firestarter skill and use the slots for something offensive.

You are right ^^

tuffy

To give you a further answer on character creation, some of the superficial features like hair and clothing can be changed in-game but things like gender and face are set forever. Definitely make sure that you are happy with your character before you dive in. It is worth spending 30 minutes up front so you don't regret what your character looks like for the next 100+ hours.
Just to add to this, your hunter's voice is another thing that cannot be changed after character creation. While your face may often be covered by a helmet, you're going to hear all the grunts and cries your hunter makes the whole game. So hit the voice button a few times, cycle through all the sounds your hunter makes, and be extra sure you're happy with it before starting in.

I did the Yukumo DLC quests by myself yesterday. Is the
Seregios
scaled with Caravan HR health or Gathering Hall health because I killed it in the same time I would take me to kill a Caravan HR
Seregios

Shengar

Man, why some monster parts in this game so tough to break? Diablos second horn, Basario wing, it's like they want to make Partbreaker more useful.
I did the Yukumo DLC quests by myself yesterday. Is the
Seregios
scaled with Caravan HR health or Gathering Hall health because I killed it in the same time I would take me to kill a Caravan HR
Seregios

I think due to the location of the fight, Capcom tune down the health.

lol
I don't know why, but when I'm using lance and below the monster, while it's better to use straight thrust, I keep using diagonal thrust instead, as if it is stronger somehow

The first two diagonal thrusts ARE stronger than straight. The 3rd are equal strength.

Airan

Just to add to this, your hunter's voice is another thing that cannot be changed after character creation. While your face may often be covered by a helmet, you're going to hear all the grunts and cries your hunter makes the whole game. So hit the voice button a few times, cycle through all the sounds your hunter makes, and be extra sure you're happy with it before starting in.

Sadly it doesn't play the full range. I think I chose voice 8, thinking I was satisfied with his battle cries, only to find out that when running he grunts like a 80 year old chain smoker.

cerulily

I just started MH4U and i was wondering. Are the early game hunts supposed to be easier than MH3U? Or is it just that i know what i am doing? It feels like monsters have little to no HP. I can take down a G. Jaggi in just a few good combos

Shengar

I just started MH4U and i was wondering. Are the early game hunts supposed to be easier than MH3U? Or is it just that i know what i am doing? It feels like monsters have little to no HP. I can take down a G. Jaggi in just a few good combos

I think G. Jaggi is severely weakened in this game, himself and his armor alike.

So that 9* Urgent Quest - Is it regular Kusha or Rusted Kusha? They have different weaknesses, and I've never fought either.
On the guides, it says Rusted, but no where in the game does it talk about it being Rusted.

w00zey

What causes your stamina bar to lose overall stamina? I swear this never used to happen to me now I feel like it is constantly shrinking (the total number).

So that 9* Urgent Quest - Is it regular Kusha or Rusted Kusha? They have different weaknesses, and I've never fought either.
On the guides, it says Rusted, but no where in the game does it talk about it being Rusted.

I think it's Rusted, given that it's brown. You don't get any loot from it aside from a single Daora Scale, so I couldn't really say for certain. It's mostly just an event quest anyway though, the NPCs do most of the work.

What causes your stamina bar to lose overall stamina? I swear this never used to happen to me now I feel like it is constantly shrinking (the total number).

You lose max stamina over time naturally, if you don't drink hot drinks in cold environments you lose max stamina much faster than you would otherwise.

Xater

I actually like the early fast sharpen, so that doesn't mind me. I am glad it's not me. I assume it ramps up to normal levels soonish?

I am now doing lvl 3 quests and it still feels easy. It probably because I am used to the game now.

What's a good armor to go for after the G Jaggi one for a gun lancer? I mean something I should be able to attain now.

Yeah

This game has the easiest offline campaing of any game in the series... or more like the monsters health is significantly lower. They still hit pretty hard but they go down really fast too.

Dont worry it jumps up at High rank and G Rank

I think it's Rusted, given that it's brown. You don't get any loot from it aside from a single Daora Scale, so I couldn't really say for certain. It's mostly just an event quest anyway though, the NPCs do most of the work.
Ohhh gotcha. I was all worried about bringing the right weapon to get his weakness right and everything. If it's no big deal, I won't worry about it.

tuffy

The maximum size of your stamina bar goes down naturally over time during a hunt. You'll need to chug rations or eat cooked steaks to bring it back up (among other ways). It reflects your hunter getting tired/hungry.

Grudy

Thanks for the help guys, good to know that I can't miss anything. Also I went with male and doing the training 1 star quests now (so many x_x).

Currently not liking the lance very much, but I think I need to get a hang of aiming my lunges (is there a lock-on in this game? In the intro it said I can L to lock-on but now it opens my inventory o.o) but the dash attack is quite fun!

Xater

Thanks for the help guys, good to know that I can't miss anything. Also I went with male and doing the training 1 star quests now (so many x_x).

Currently not liking the lance very much, but I think I need to get a hang of aiming my lunges (is there a lock-on in this game? In the intro it said I can L to lock-on but now it opens my inventory o.o) but the dash attack is quite fun!

You can lock on big monster by tapping on them on the touch screen. Then if you tap L it turns the camera towards the monster. There is no real lock on.

Shengar

Ah, that's ok, i guess. I saw some G-rank fights and it seemed like it is harder this time around. So my misconception just sort of shocked me.
Capcom really want to make MH4U newbie friendly as much as possible. The intro is great, there is help button everywhere, and the quest with the goofy story give better sense of progression. As someone who started with MH3U this is very noticeable.
This game has the easiest offline campaing of any game in the series... or more like the monsters health is significantly lower. They still hit pretty hard but they go down really fast too.

Dont worry it jumps up at High rank and G Rank

If you play offline extensively, even Capcom ease up the transition from LR to HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom