• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing the weapon training

Absolutely wrecked the Jaggi with the Insect Glaive.

Don't get on with the Greatsword or Hammer, gonna need a lot of experience in learning the enemies attacks to feel comfortable finding the window of opportunity needed for the attack windups I think

Will probably stick to S&S for now, though I haven't done any of the second page of Training Challenges

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Greatsword doesn't need windup. It hits very hard on draw or upswing, After you have already knocked them with those is when you charge it up. Blocking also has it's uses, and to me it seems like they differ in mobility and sheathing speed depending on the model.

Hammer can be tricky, but is essential to it is learning to properly use it's upswing instead of flying into the spin attack all the time. Aim/time that upswing right and it conks them in the head real good.

IG is very fast and mobile but you really have to be okay with the constant upkeep of drawing juices or it's just annoying. S&S I'm sure is good but I never got into it's playstyle. It relies on status effects to get in it's many, many swings required.

Grudy

Just bought a brand - new - New 3DS with this game and I can't be more excited to start this one! Never played any of the monster hunter games before but I think I'm really going to like it
AU7Amsc.gif

The only thing I want to ask before starting is if there is anything that I can unknowingly miss in my playthrough? I hate it when stuff can only be obtained at that one point in the game and then disappears or becomes unobtainable (Like the zodiac spear in FF XII T_T) and would like to avoid that if possible.

Also, how much does it matter if I pick male or female?

Seil

Just bought a brand - new - New 3DS with this game and I can't be more excited to start this one! Never played any of the monster hunter games before but I think I'm really going to like it
AU7Amsc.gif

The only thing I want to ask before starting is if there is anything that I can unknowingly miss in my playthrough? I hate it when stuff can only be obtained at that one point in the game and then disappears or becomes unobtainable (Like the zodiac spear in FF XII T_T) and would like to avoid that if possible.

There's nothing that can be permanently missed as far as I'm aware, seeing as the game revolves around collecting mats to make your gear and the game is mission based.

There's one object I'm aware of that is one-off. During the story you'll receive a talisman with +10 to Auto-Guard. As far as I'm aware there's no other way to acquire a talisman(or anything for that matter) with that skill.

Edit: Oh right, there are some other one-off items. The Heroic Blade is one... It isn't missable, you just only get one.

AU7Amsc.gif

Welcome to the hunt! Nothing is missable and gender only changes the looks of the armor sets. The stats are all the same.

PKrockin

Idk, on paper CB sounds like all those weapons but it doesn't play much like them.
I know it has a different playstyle, that much is obvious. I just don't like it when they make weapons that seem like obvious upgrades to another weapon. Like the Gunlance. Why would you take a regular lance over a lance that also blows things up? I remember being kind of baffled at that until I took the time to play both for a while.

I don't know, maybe I'm looking for reasons to dislike the charge blade just because I want to see a full party of different weapons so much. I guess in perspective it doesn't annoy me nearly as much as maining lance in 3U and always being in a room with 3 longswords did. lol

Shengar

Just arrived at home! Anybody (want to) hunt something right now?
I still don't know what a marm is, or why the guild has one.

marm
noun \ˈmärm, ˈmȧm\
North American dated
Variant spelling of ma'am.

But I always read it as Guildmama

being kind of baffled at that until I took the time to play both for a while.

I don't know, maybe I'm looking for reasons to dislike the charge blade just because I want to see a full party of different weapons so much. I guess in perspective it doesn't annoy me nearly as much as maining lance in 3U and always being in a room with 3 longswords did. lol

I know that feeling, and wished for more gunner in random rooms. Fortunately Gaffers have their fair share of gunners.

Just arrived at home! Anybody (want to) hunt something right now?
marm
noun \ˈmärm, ˈmȧm\
North American dated
Variant spelling of ma'am.

But I always read it as Guildmama

I need 2 lightning sacs. I was about to solo g rank red khezu, but now you're here so...guess I can *Prance* while you do it for me?

Also, 20% chance for 2 in rewards if we capture so can you bring your capture guru stuff please? <3

If a weapon has 300 Attack and 150 water attack, what does that mean ?

150 of the 300 is water damage or
300 + 150 ?

Raw and element are separate. The damage calculations are more complex than just adding the numbers together and everything depends on how weak a monster and its specific body parts are to your damage type (cutting, blunt, etc) and element.

Raw and element are separate. The damage calculations are more complex than just adding the numbers together and everything depends on how weak a monster and its specific body parts are to your damage type (cutting, blunt, etc) and element.

One part is raw damage, the element is calculated separately.

Each weapon has different damage formula.

Element/Status are a bonus and dealt separately from the raw.
thanks for the answers :)

VandalD

I know it has a different playstyle, that much is obvious. I just don't like it when they make weapons that seem like obvious upgrades to another weapon. Like the Gunlance. Why would you take a regular lance over a lance that also blows things up? I remember being kind of baffled at that until I took the time to play both for a while.

I do feel like you're right in a way. I did a lot of lancing in Tri and haven't even touched it yet in 4U because I tried CB, which has very good blocking, and decent countering if you get good at it. I also liked S&S in Tri, but the CB is almost as mobile, at least in sword form, has far more burst, and I feel like I can take proper advantage of it without using a ton of items. But then apparently lance was OP in Tri, so maybe I just get drawn to that crap for some reason. I should try lancing.

Shengar

I need 2 lightning sacs. I was about to solo g rank red khezu, but now you're here so...guess I can *Prance* while you do it for me?

Also, 20% chance for 2 in rewards if we capture so can you bring your capture guru stuff please? <3
No problem, as long as we take turn farming Yian Garuga
It's HR, don't worry
I do feel like you're right in a way. I did a lot of lancing in Tri and haven't even touched it yet in 4U because I tried CB, which has very good blocking, and decent countering if you get good at it. I also liked S&S in Tri, but the CB is almost as mobile, at least in sword form, has far more burst, and I feel like I can take proper advantage of it without using a ton of items. But then apparently lance was OP in Tri, so maybe I just get drawn to that crap for some reason. I should try lancing.

What makes Lance OP in Tri? I thought they make it more mobile in 4U

No problem, as long as we take turn farming Yian Garuga
It's HR, don't worry
What makes Lance OP in Tri? I thought they make it more mobile in 4U

In Tri, lance could infinite combo via countering. You could counter after any attack of the 3 hit combo, then do more pokes/counters after that counter.

And I love Garuga, unlike every other GAFfer, so yeah, I'm down. Room's up:

33-7069-8017-1012

I'm gonna want Seltas Queen G rank for pectus+ after I get my lightning sacs.

CB has just some of the tools the other weapons have, not all. Take for example SnS. CB can't use items with the weapon drawn. Huge plus for the SnS. SnS combos are also way faster. Also I don't see how hybrid weapons take away the spotlight of other weapons. SA and HH are still super unpopular.

co1onel

CB has just some of the tools the other weapons have, not all. Take for example SnS. CB can't use items with the weapon drawn. Huge plus for the SnS. SnS combos are also way faster. Also I don't see how hybrid weapons take away the spotlight of other weapons. SA and HH are still super unpopular.

SA is unpopular? I see this weapon all the time.

XaosWolf

SA is unpopular? I see this weapon all the time.

I love the SA. (I suck at the hunting horn, but am trying to improve)
I've also seen plenty online, even if not as much as CB.

AU7Amsc.gif

male female is looks. there is one 'item pack' that you can get via DLC that you only get once, any new characters you make can't get this pack

in this pack are six super mushrooms, used to make three super mario brothers related items. you can't get them again so far. they make the best cat armor/weapon. you can make low rank parts or high rank

Im around 40 hours. Just hit High Rank in village. Made the Red Pincer, farming Tetsu to make the Tetsucabra S armor. Just did the Gore urgent online so Im not too far online yet

Crazy how I already spent 40 hours. Feels like 10 :/

Garou

male female is looks. there is one 'item pack' that you can get via DLC that you only get once, any new characters you make can't get this pack

in this pack are six super mushrooms, used to make three super mario brothers related items. you can't get them again so far. they make the best cat armor/weapon. you can make low rank parts or high rank
The mushrooms will be a reward for a free DLC-quest. Also they are not the best armor/weapon. Still quite good though.

Infinite

The charge blade plays nothing like any weapon in the game. It's not a better sns; they flow completely differently when it comes to actually using them. With the charge blade there's a game with in the game that involves you constantly switching back and forth between blade and axe form. Arguably the most technical weapon in the game. The sns is a weapon about maximizing opportunities by creating ones other weapons don't really have or can't access as fast enough. It's about spacing really and knowing the monster.

Bastos

I really need to practice using the Hammer, my upswing timing is still far from perfect.

A question to the Hammer experts: what to use when the monster is dizzy on the floor? A-X-X/X-X-X, Spin or Pound?

I'm taking 5~8 mins more to finish a hunt using Hammer in comparison to GS.

I really need to practice using the Hammer, my upswing timing is still far from perfect.

A question to the Hammer experts: what to use when the monster is dizzy on the floor? A-X-X/X-X-X, Spin or Pound?

X-X-X when it's on the ground, but you gotta make sure that golf swing hits or it's all for naught.

Edit: Not sure who you are on here, Col, but I really appreciate the help.

A-X-X or X-X-X, but position yourself so you're sure the golfswing will hit. You can infinite combo the triple pound with a tap of R after the golfswing, but this can cause you to mess up your positioning, so sometimes it's better to just pause after the triple pound and start over.

Tenck

Anyone farming Rathalos? I'm trying to finish the set, and I need three more armor pieces. Gonna be a while till I finish this cause I'm still new to MH :(

ilium

Who needs all these fancy new weapons when I can hit the monster in the head with a rock on a stick just fine.

Yea man, everyone swinging their fancy fantasy weapons, but we are the true hunters here, using the oldest tools in mankind's arsenal.
A stone on a stick and a stick that shoots pointy sticks.

stone-age_2783536b.jpg

Paleolithic represent yo

Bastos

X-X-X when it's on the ground, but you gotta make sure that golf swing hits or it's all for naught.

Edit: Not sure who you are on here, Col, but I really appreciate the help.
Ok then, thanks :D

And other thing, does the stun damage count while the monster is taking hits while already dizzy? What I mean is, you have to deal X damage to dizzy the monster for the first time, does the damage for another stun begin "counting" when he's on the ground or only after he gets back to normal?
A-X-X or X-X-X, but position yourself so you're sure the golfswing will hit.You can infinite combo the triple pound with a tap of R after the golfswing, but this can cause you to mess up your positioning, so sometimes it's better to just pause after the triple pound and start over.
That I really didn't know, I'll try it later. Thanks!

Also sorry if I'm not clear, english is not my main language and being on GAF is my only real way of practicing my grammar, etc :3

Man, I am spending like 10 mega potions and a couple of other healing items on some monsters like Kecha Wacha or Tetsucabra. But I kinda feel my mounting got a lot better and it's helping out a lot.

Ok then, thanks :D

And other thing, does the stun damage count while the monster is taking hits while already dizzy? What I mean is, you have to deal X damage to dizzy the monster for the first time, does the damage for another stun begin "counting" when he's on the ground or only after he gets back to normal?

Also sorry if I'm not clear, english is not my main language and being on GAF is my only real way of practicing my grammar, etc :3
No, the dizzy counter resets once the monster gets out of dizzy. Any headblows you give while it's still dizzy don't count for the next KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom