• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

Yeh could do.. I wanna get a better feel for it first though. Im like unbelievably bad atm, just watched gaijinhunters tutorial and realised i know nothing.

What weapon are you maining?
I main the Charge Blade this time around, I used Switch Axe pretty much exclusively in MH3U though.

Prototype

Ok, anyone actually have a 3DXL and N3DSXL to tell us if the better graphics are worth the $200? Or is it more of a "meh, nice to have but whatever..." ?
It depends. New 3ds :

- loads everything faster
- better textures
- better frame rate
- c stick is a Godsend (and makes it Playable for me)
- extra power allows multiple apps at once so you can post images miiverse
- 3d effect is usable and works amazing thanks to head tracking (could never use on old 3ds)

I played the Demo on the old xl and now have the new xl. Totally worth it to me.

Most important of all is how much time I'll be spending with the game, this was the biggest factors for me. Since I know I'll end up logging hundreds of hours on it, I wanted the best experience I could have.

Cerity

Has anyone else gotten this?

rBJ0Eqw.jpg

AKbXBcj.jpg

If so, any ideas on how to fix it?

Oregano

Just beat the Seltas in Sunken Hollow. It got annoying because it kept fleeing whenever I found it.

I got the Red and White essence from it and just went to town and it went down quickly. I really like the Insect Glaive though I suspect it will be a popular choice online.

Peru

Nerscylla, wow, what a brilliant design. What a beauty. And so much fun, so clever with its climbing and webbing. I've seen peeks of the MH4 monsters in videos before, but you can't really appreciate them fully until you're up on them yourself. This is what more reviews should focus on - evaluating the design of the monsters, the way they look and move and attack.

Shengar

This is what more reviews should focus on - evaluating the design of the monsters, the way they look and move and attack.

I agree with this, but for now most, if not all, game reviews are written for general audience, not for those genre enthusiasts. In-depth review like the one you wanted usually found in a blog or niche gaming sites.

Shengar

Why does my CPP keep disconnecting whenever I re open my 3DS after a while? I even replaced my battery.

That happen to me too and I must quit the game to reactivate it again. It's kinda annoying since MH3U can detect CPP after you close the 3DS without quitting and reloading the game.

Shengar

It uses IR and goes in standby to save battery, its stupid but thats how it is.
You can activate it again from the ingame menu.

You can reactivate it from the ingame menu? o_O
Well, that one less annoyance. But still, MH3U doesn't need any reactivation somehow.

Just beat the Seltas in Sunken Hollow. It got annoying because it kept fleeing whenever I found it.

I got the Red and White essence from it and just went to town and it went down quickly. I really like the Insect Glaive though I suspect it will be a popular choice online.

Yeah lots of IG and CB online right now.

demonkaze

So I was wondering if its possible to do Expeditions online? I'm still not sure I completely understand everything about them, including registering guild quests and all that.

GeekyDad

Why does my CPP keep disconnecting whenever I re open my 3DS after a while? I even replaced my battery.

That happen to me too and I must quit the game to reactivate it again. It's kinda annoying since MH3U can detect CPP after you close the 3DS without quitting and reloading the game.

You can reactivate it from the ingame menu? o_O
Well, that one less annoyance. But still, MH3U doesn't need any reactivation somehow.

You need to press a button on the CPP before opening the 3DS, then it won't disconnect.

Actually, you need to both press one of the shoulder buttons AND go into the options menu and turn the CPP option back on.

Yeah, it's annoying, but at least you don't have to exit the game each time.

tuffy

Actually, you need to both press one of the shoulder buttons AND go into the options menu and turn the CPP option back on.

Yeah, it's annoying, but at least you don't have to exit the game each time.
Another option is to tap one of the shoulder buttons before opening the 3DS again and bringing it out of standby mode. That should prevent it from disconnecting entirely since the 3DS will see it's there when it wakes up.

Cruising along smoothly and then Gravios. Fuck off. I was annoyed at the amount of hard surfaces in the fights so far but this takes the cake. He's literally a rock for under blue sharpness. Can't even attack his belly on an angle because it'll cut through the other 90% of his body and deflect. I just crafted a weapon with a significant chunk of green sharpness now too. Ugh

I needed a reason to put the game down for the evening anyway.

MegaMelon

Fuck off Emerald Nargalala. Broke after byuying the rare 5 armor due to my low rank one having shit defense and now I can't beat this guy. Grrr. Gonna upgrade my insect glaive, if the rng gods smile upon me. Seriosly, 2 monster broth and 3 gore magala tails? *sigh*

Raide

can someone explain the kiranico damage charts? i guess lower numbers mean lower defense and therefore more damage in that region, right?

damagechartmhyzsng.jpg

Lower number means lower damage if you hit that part of the body. You add this to the highest element they are weak to, just to increase your damage potential. Basically means check out damage charts for monsters you have a hard time beating and to also find out what element they are weak to, so you can have all weapons of all types ready.

If I remember correctly. :D

In the linked example, the head is the weak point and weaker to fire.

GeekyDad

Another option is to tap one of the shoulder buttons before opening the 3DS again and bringing it out of standby mode. That should prevent it from disconnecting entirely since the 3DS will see it's there when it wakes up.

Ah, didn't realize that. Good to know.

ilium

Lower number means lower damage if you hit that part of the body. You add this to the highest element they are weak to, just to increase your damage potential. Basically means check out damage charts for monsters you have a hard time beating and to also find out what element they are weak to, so you can have all weapons of all types ready.

If I remember correctly. :D

In the linked example, the head is the weak point and weaker to fire.

i see, thanks!

ramyeon

Finally got far enough in solo that I can recruit and customise Palicoes. This is gonna be a time sink, I can tell already.

Kinsei

Banned
Nerscylla, wow, what a brilliant design. What a beauty. And so much fun, so clever with its climbing and webbing. I've seen peeks of the MH4 monsters in videos before, but you can't really appreciate them fully until you're up on them yourself. This is what more reviews should focus on - evaluating the design of the monsters, the way they look and move and attack.

All of the new monsters have been amazing to fight so far and all of the old ones have enough new moves that you can tell serious effort went into updating them. If this quality keeps up this will easily end up becoming my favorite MH game.

PKrockin

Fuuuck, now that you can jump stab out of a lance charge, it's gone from my least favorite move to THE BEST. I was charging at that spider monster when it decided to swing toward me, so I'm like fuck it, it's jousting time! Knocked its ass right out of the air. Then I fought Congalala. Toward the end of the fight I was just on fire with the combos and timed dodges. I knocked it over, charged, and finished it with a jump stab right in the face as it squirmed. So satisfying.

Kuntz

I got a rusted armor from an expedition. What can I do with it and how can I polish it

The npc working with the forge loli in Karth.

You'll need abrasives though (from expeditions)

Is there any way to have details from online friends? like their hr and what quest they're on?
It's a huge downgrade from mh3u you don't know what you're joining...

deim0s

All of the new monsters have been amazing to fight so far and all of the old ones have enough new moves that you can tell serious effort went into updating them. If this quality keeps up this will easily end up becoming my favorite MH game.

Yup. Rathalos is getting them upgrades, made me double take when he tried (unsuccessfully) to rake me.

Anura

Have you got to tigrex yet? He even got an update to his theme!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom