• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Poison is still the stupidest status effect. There's no complexity to it, its entirely binary: either you remembered antidotes and you're fine or you didn't and you're completely boned

Kinsei

Banned
Poison is still the stupidest status effect. There's no complexity to it, its entirely binary: either you remembered antidotes and you're fine or you didn't and you're completely boned

Eh, It doesn't last long enough to be a big deal unless the attack that poisoned you did a lot of damage. Most things like Gypceros' poison balls are minor annoyances since you can outheal the poison damage.

PKrockin

That better describes hot/cold drinks. Forgetting drinks just means wasting time restarting the quest, or in multiplayer pestering your friends for some.

Pachimari

After completing the first 3 quests you unlock a tutorial quest for every weapon in the game. Do those to get an idea of which weapons suit you well.

Buy the info books and book of combo's from the shop. The info books give you pictures of monsters as well as hints for fighting them.

Did you download the 1.1 update? If so go to te cat in your house, choose the DLC option, and then choose gift. You'll get a really nice starter pack for free.

You will die a lot learning the patterns of the monsters. That's natural so don't think you're terrible at the game and give up.
I can use these tips as well. Thank you very much. :)

sugarless

OK so basic question here: what's the best strategy to avoid dropping ores and eggs that need to be carried back to the delivery box? Obviously you don't want to get hit but I've found it hard to hit a balance of running back so it doesn't take forever, and not tripping with them. Is it about the level of my stamina meter (i.e. I should run until it's halfway then stop to let it restore?) or the terrain I'm on being hilly or what?

These carrying quests are sheer masochism but I'm using them as a chance to practise some other stuff.

Shengar

I imagine doing only key quests would make everything go by pretty fast.
Yeah, I try to do every single solo quest so far, which could be time consuming since there are so many of them.
got the game since wednesday and I'm 40 hours in, only skipped a couple of quests

I'm 34 hours in, but then I do a lot of basic material farming each time I do a gather or kill small monster quest.
That better describes hot/cold drinks. Forgetting drinks just means wasting time restarting the quest, or in multiplayer pestering your friends for some.
At least with cold status effect, you could try to outlast it with Well Done Steak until the supplies arrived.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The online play is really so fun though I wish it just had matchmaking sometimes.

I still hate material farming!

Raide

OK so basic question here: what's the best strategy to avoid dropping ores and eggs that need to be carried back to the delivery box? Obviously you don't want to get hit but I've found it hard to hit a balance of running back so it doesn't take forever, and not tripping with them. Is it about the level of my stamina meter (i.e. I should run until it's halfway then stop to let it restore?) or the terrain I'm on being hilly or what?

These carrying quests are sheer masochism but I'm using them as a chance to practise some other stuff.

There are some armour sets that help with carrying items. Best idea is to find out which is the easiest set to get and equip that for all those pesky quests.

Also learning the quickest route is not always the best one, since it tends to go through monsters. :D

Make sure you have a big stamina bar (or drink a potion that stops depleting stamina) before you pick up the egg. Than, make sure that your stamina doesn't deplete completely while running or you'll drop the egg. Also being attacked and jumping from too high will make you drop the egg. I usually run when there are enemies to avoid their attacks and as soon as I'm a safe distance away walk a bit to replenish stamina.

Shengar

Take quickest route, time your sprint when a monster is about to attack you, and when all else is failed, kill the monsters in your route until they stopped respawning.
This is why I hate -prey, they just won't stop coming.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Eh, It doesn't last long enough to be a big deal unless the attack that poisoned you did a lot of damage. Most things like Gypceros' poison balls are minor annoyances since you can outheal the poison damage.

Yeah but poison leads to the dumbass situations like going from 3/4ths health to a cart because you got poisoned and then hit with a stun attack-attack combo that normally leaves you with a sliver of health but instead kills you because the poison is ticking down while you're helpless

depward

Hunting horn is a fun weapon but I feel like sometimes I'm stick in an animation and can't roll out. With hammer I'm so used to popping in, getting a hit, rolling out. Not so with HH...

Mupod

I'm trying to clear village before going online but after rushing through Hakuna Matata yesterday I think I'm gonna take my time and enjoy myself. So I'm gonna try and get sharpness+1 before fighting Gravios. I believe I can do it with torso inc and 2 pieces each of ceanataur and gore magala gear.

Also want to build my HBG set now that Lagombi is unlocked, might make the Rathian gun. I hope the female bunny armor is still cute.

eat the food combination to get Felyne Lander, equip the Pro Transporter skill and maybe bring some dash juice. Easy mode.

Mupod

Hunting horn is a fun weapon but I feel like sometimes I'm stick in an animation and can't roll out. With hammer I'm so used to popping in, getting a hit, rolling out. Not so with HH...

HH is tough to use if you're using it correctly. I HIGHLY recommend evasion skills if you can get them - if you're using your recitals for damage, which you should be, they will put you in bad situations sometimes. And evade+2 will get you out of them safely. No idea how early you can get that, though.

It does have some hit and run moves. The upswing works great once you're used to it and it has a decent unsheathe attack (compared to hammer).

Ok, anyone actually have a 3DXL and N3DSXL to tell us if the better graphics are worth the $200? Or is it more of a "meh, nice to have but whatever..." ?
Imo, the n3DSXL looks much, much better than the OG XL. The main upgrade comes from the 3D, though. I'm a believer now, 3D is not a shitty gimmick. It actually helps you gauge distances and makes you a more effective hunter, and it works flawlessly. If the purchase wouldn't hurt you, do it. You might still be able to trade in your OG at GS for $100.

Okay, this is gunna be a really stupid question -
Is there a way to just go on "patrol" or whatever like you could in MH3U? I wanna gather some resources but I don't understand how you just head out into the wild. In MH3U you just took the bridge out of town on the far right :p

You made it!

I remember getting my first as well. Its like I have overcome a mountain...

...only to find a more angry and upset mountain on the other side.

Oh yeah, It was great when I killed my very first great Jaggi back in 3U.

I should have clarified that I was talking about my first great Jaggi in 4U :p
Hooray!

Sadly, the real beginner monster this time around is the Seltas, IMO. Definitely makes you adapt to the verticality, it seems.

Oh, Seltas (the big Insect thing with horns, right ?) is 4U's Barroth ?

I'll power through the filler 2-star quests.

Shengar

Is there a way to just go on "patrol" or whatever like you could in MH3U? I wanna gather some resources but I don't understand how you just head out into the wild. In MH3U you just took the bridge out of town on the far right :p

There is expedition where you could roam and cart as many as you want. But it's different since the map is generated.

Nope, that would be Nerscylla

ilium

the companion app for android got released. no idea if it's good, will download and test it later.

there are gather quests for every map, i think you have to unlock them through other quests tho

There is expedition where you could roam and cart as many as you want. But it's different since the map is generated.

Nope, that would be Nerscylla
So what's the best way to head out into the starting area? Just take a quest that sends you there, do your stuff then finish the quest?

Oh yeah, It was great when I killed my very first great Jaggi back in 3U.

I should have clarified that I was talking about my first great Jaggi in 4U :p

Nah, it's kinda the, uhm, Great Jaggi of this game. Except Great Jaggi is just kinda... There. :c

Clunker

HH is tough to use if you're using it correctly. I HIGHLY recommend evasion skills if you can get them - if you're using your recitals for damage, which you should be, they will put you in bad situations sometimes. And evade+2 will get you out of them safely. No idea how early you can get that, though.

It does have some hit and run moves. The upswing works great once you're used to it and it has a decent unsheathe attack (compared to hammer).
I was a Longsword user in MH3U and I swapped to HH now - absolutely loving it, even solo (still early on, want some slightly better gear before going online). I plan on using LS as my secondary/solo weapon.

Still torn on what low-rank armor to work toward - I'm still on the starter armor and the hits are starting to wipe me out faster now. :/

I was a Longsword user in MH3U and I swapped to HH now - absolutely loving it, even solo (still early on, want some slightly better gear before going online). I plan on using LS as my secondary/solo weapon.

Still torn on what low-rank armor to work toward - I'm still on the starter armor and the hits are starting to wipe me out faster now. :/

I went with G.Jaggi armor for low rank. I wanted to make gunner armor for a bow but I think I'll wait till high rank for my bow. For now I'm rolling LS, HH and GS.

Shengar

So what's the best way to head out into the starting area? Just take a quest that sends you there, do your stuff then finish the quest?

If you mean Ancient Steppe, the best way to go there is take an easy harvest or slaying quest before the harvest tour version appeared in Star 2.

the companion app for android got released. no idea if it's good, will download and test it later.

lol, now I know what would I looking to on my cellphone screen all the time

Expedition might be what you are looking for, to just go out into the areas without a time limit or objective. Keep doing some village quest and eventually you will unlock expeditions.

And one more thing: That Great Jaggi just keeps running into his cave whenever it's low only to come back at full health. I doesn't seem like I can jump into his nest so why can I do about it? I placed some bait in front of his nest but to no avail.

Mzo

And one more thing: That Great Jaggi just keeps running into his cave whenever it's low only to come back at full health. I doesn't seem like I can jump into his nest so why can I do about it? I placed some bait in front of his nest but to no avail.

The caves are just teleports to different areas. Keep a paintball on him and follow him to finish him off.

Shengar

No, resting monster doesn't heal themselves. You could follow them resting area, wait until they sleep, then attack them to finish the job, mostly don't take very long.

DMiz

Been having a blast for the past few hours going on some basic hunts in the single player game. Major thanks to Gaijin Hunter for his tutorial videos - I had a bit of trouble figuring out the new 'dash slash' move, but his video cleared up that confusion rather quickly.

What's a good set of starter armor that you guys would recommend? I'm currently rocking a full set of Hunter's Armor that I crafted, but I'm up for some new stuff.

I think Charge Blade is next on my list of weapons to switch to - had a go at it in the tutorial mode and it feels like a Switch Axe but with my favorite weapon types mashed together!

Sane_Man

The boss on the urgent quest to get to MR3 is pretty blummin' tough! Failed twice so far with some randoms. Might need to try Gaf for help later!

krossj

So good and all the new monsters seem interesting so far. My first battle with that spider was quite intense, fainted twice and killed it with a throw knife when it was just about to sleep in it's suspension. I forgot how irritating fishing and egg quests are but that is the only damper so far.

Mzo

No, resting monster doesn't heal themselves. You could follow them resting area, wait until they sleep, then attack them to finish the job, mostly don't take very long.

Oh I see! So he isn't actually regenerating?

When they sleep they definitely get health back, but it's never going to be like 100% healed or anything. You can still finish them off easily but you may as well follow them and get a huge 2x damage charge attack on their face as they sleep.

Sounds like you're new to this. Keep paintballs on these guys until you know where they're going to go, most monsters stay within a few areas on a map and go to sleep in the same place. Nothing is more annoying than losing a Rathalos and spending 10+ minutes running around looking for the damn thing as he flies in and out of areas.

Aight, got him. I didn't know about the paintball mechanic, which made things easy. Thanks for the help guys! The Charge Blade is so much fun.

Also yeah, this is my first MH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom