• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

I got a rusted armor from an expedition. What can I do with it and how can I polish it

Items that if you upgrade, they get better and better. Normally they are rusted weapons. Usually as Rustshards. you just Get them Appraised at the end of a fight and see what you get.

Synless

Anyone want to give this MH newbie some tips? I owned MH3U and never played it so this is my first real experience with the game. I have just completed the the very first 5 missions of the game.

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone want to give this MH newbie some tips? I owned MH3U and never played it so this is my first real experience with the game. I have just completed the the very first 5 missions of the game.

After completing the first 3 quests you unlock a tutorial quest for every weapon in the game. Do those to get an idea of which weapons suit you well.

Buy the info books and book of combo's from the shop. The info books give you pictures of monsters as well as hints for fighting them.

Did you download the 1.1 update? If so go to te cat in your house, choose the DLC option, and then choose gift. You'll get a really nice starter pack for free.

You will die a lot learning the patterns of the monsters. That's natural so don't think you're terrible at the game and give up.

Synless

After completing the first 3 quests you unlock a tutorial quest for every weapon in the game. Do those to get an idea of which weapons suit you well.

Buy the info books and book of combo's from the shop. The info books give you pictures of monsters as well as hints for fighting them.

Did you download the 1.1 update? If so go to te cat in your house, choose the DLC option, and then choose gift. You'll get a really nice starter pack for free.

You will die a lot learning the patterns of the monsters. That's natural so don't think you're terrible at the game and give up.
Ok, I will start those out, thanks!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
The number of weapons is both awesome and overwhelming. Can someone answer a question for me?

How screwed will I be if I focus on just one or two? I saw comments asking if lances can cut tails, so this got me thinking: should I have a cutting type weapon in my rotation? Right now I am exclusively using the hunting horn which is super fun and awesome.

Should I at minimum have a cutting weapon, a ranged weapon, and my hunting horn/blunt weapon in my arsenal? Or can I just focus on my horn?

JimPanzer

Regular Brachydios or Critical Brachydios? I think I can handle the former but the latter scares me.

regular, killed him in my first attempt, but I wanted to farm him for his IG and got destroyed. didn't help that he was teaming up on me with a seregios.

Shengar

The game pronted me to download it, what did it do?
I don't know the detail, but it lets you download MH4U Starter Item Pack which includes tons of useful item like Ancient Potion, 15x Pitfall&Shock Trap, and 50 Mega Pots.

Try every weapon, and see which one you liked most then stick with it. Veterans mostly blitz through the Low Rank and High Rank to get into G Rank, but for newbie, you can take it slow and easy. You could spend your time in solo quest studying monster attack and map pattern, combining stuffs, creating armor set and so on. That's how I do it with MH3U, 290 hours of gameplay where the first 170 hours are my time grinding for LR and HR stuffs. Of course you don't need to spend 170 hours on LR and HR, but the general advice is just no need to rushed it, especially considering that MH4U have more monsters than MH3U.

frenzied brachydios...daaaayum
As if regular brachydios isn't bad enough, smh

Roldan

Hey guys, where do I get Jumbo Bone?

In MH Wiki it says it's a drop from Arzuros in 3U, but he isn't in 4U AFAIK.

Also, I forgot how fun it is to start a new MH game. Having a great time with the game. :)

Korten

Banned
I go on a expedition, it says there will be a velocidrome.

I kill one, and then go a room ahead and hey, there's another. I kill it as well, getting quite annoyed.

Then I go to the next room...

Oh hey a Velocidrome... and a Yan Kut-ku.

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

:(

Running out of supplies...

Raide

The number of weapons is both awesome and overwhelming. Can someone answer a question for me?

How screwed will I be if I focus on just one or two? I saw comments asking if lances can cut tails, so this got me thinking: should I have a cutting type weapon in my rotation? Right now I am exclusively using the hunting horn which is super fun and awesome.

Should I at minimum have a cutting weapon, a ranged weapon, and my hunting horn/blunt weapon in my arsenal? Or can I just focus on my horn?

Hrmm... stuff like hammers etc cannot do cutting damage. Feel free to collect whatever weapons you like. Some are a little more efficient at doing certain things. i.e. Hammers are awesome at stunning.

In reality, if you need certain parts for gear and they are from skinned monsters, it is a pain to level one up for that purpose. So you may as well have multiple weapons ready, since you will need multiple weapons for different elements also.

Kinsei

Banned
Hey guys, where do I get Jumbo Bone?

In MH Wiki it says it's a drop from Arzuros in 3U, but he isn't in 4U AFAIK.

Also, I forgot how fun it is to start a new MH game. Having a great time with the game. :)

Popo, Kecha Wacha, Tetsucabra, Lagombi, and Congalala all drop them in low rank.

Jamie OD

Holy heck my first fight with the Kecha Wacha was intense. That thing has a much longer reach with its swipes than I thought from watching videos of others fighting it. Got it on my second try.

mid83

I asked a similar question in the reviews thread but I figured the OT would be a better place.

For somebody pretty much brand new to the series, how is MH4 as an entry point vs MH3U?

MikeDip

Hrmm... stuff like hammers etc cannot do cutting damage. Feel free to collect whatever weapons you like. Some are a little more efficient at doing certain things. i.e. Hammers are awesome at stunning.

In reality, if you need certain parts for gear and they are from skinned monsters, it is a pain to level one up for that purpose. So you may as well have multiple weapons ready, since you will need multiple weapons for different elements also.

Hunting horn is my main weapon. What's a good cutting weapon to compliment that?
I had some fun with great sword, but maybe two slowish weapons isn't a good idea?

Garou

I go on a expedition, it says there will be a velocidrome.

I kill one, and then go a room ahead and hey, there's another. I kill it as well, getting quite annoyed.

Then I go to the next room...

Oh hey a Velocidrome... and a Yan Kut-ku.

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

:(

Running out of supplies...

You don't have to kill them all, actually you don't have to kill any of them (unless you want the parts).
Capture one OR pick up a shiny drop, then you can just go to the end.

Raide

I asked a similar question in the reviews thread but I figured the OT would be a better place.

For somebody pretty much brand new to the series, how is MH4 as an entry point vs MH3U?

People are saying MH4U is easier to adjust to but still loads of content if you get into it. It also helps that it is new, since there will be loads of GAF players to hunt with, which helps massively.

Raide

Hunting horn is my main weapon. What's a good cutting weapon to compliment that?
I had some fun with great sword, but maybe two slowish weapons isn't a good idea?

Mixing the weapons will help but its down to your style of play.

Check out all the bladed weapons and see which one suits you, since they are all pretty good for cutting. Don't neglect the ranged weapons either. A little tricky to learn but if you can sort their quirks out, they can be fun to play with.

Shengar

Personally I always had two weapon in my arsenal: a main and a sub. Main weapons usually have the highest number of weapon, covering numerous elemental and status effect. Subs usually have less weapon, and mostly I used it when my main weapon is ill suited when soloed against certain monster. But mainly I keep two weapon to make the game feel fresh and fighting the same monster not stale, In your case, considering your main is Hunting Horn, I guess it just more reason to have a sub weapon.

You wouldn't screwed if you have more than one weapon in your arsenal. It just a matter of your will, where you'll fight against a lot of monsters again and again for their part to keep your arsenal up to date.

MikeDip

Mixing the weapons will help but its down to your style of play.

Check out all the bladed weapons and see which one suits you, since they are all pretty good for cutting. Don't neglect the ranged weapons either. A little tricky to learn but if you can sort their quirks out, they can be fun to play with.

Yeah, I've been playing with light bowgun for my ranged. Hunting horn for my main weapon. Now I just need to decide on a cutting one but I can't choose. I guess I should pick something fast but I don't know.

Would those three cover everything? Or is there something that combo of weapons can't do?

tuffy

For an HBG-only run I actually got away with using the lowly boomerang. It may not be fast at getting them off, but it is very cheap and trivial to use. A lot of tails can be gotten through capture rewards so I wound up only needing to cut off one.

Yeah, I've been playing with light bowgun for my ranged. Hunting horn for my main weapon. Now I just need to decide on a cutting one but I can't choose. I guess I should pick something fast but I don't know.

Would those three cover everything? Or is there something that combo of weapons can't do?
If you have a blunt weapon and cutting weapon you can break and cut anything. Some weapons can do both impact damage and cutting damage, so in theory you can do everything with 1 weapon.

Raide

Switch-Axe might be an interesting choice, just because you swap what you do with in mid-battle depending on your needs. Charge Blade is also an interesting weapon to play around with and covers a few roles.

Just get them all, upgrade them all a bit and see how you get on!

Shengar

Ls is good for cutting tails, since its unsheath attack is vertical slice and so does the next X attack after that.
I guess you'll be more just fine with three weapons at your disposal, really.
The only problem you'll met is money, it must be.

If you have a blunt weapon and cutting weapon you can break and cut anything. Some weapons can do both impact damage and cutting damage, so in theory you can do everything with 1 weapon.

I wouldn't try to break Barroth head with Lance and SnS shield bash though.

MikeDip

Thanks for all the help everyone!

So far my favourite cutting weapons are the charged thing and the great sword, so I'll just keep using those for now. Good stuff.

Really like that great sword.

JimPanzer

btw. anyone knows if there's village g-rank this time?
I'm already at 9-stars village quests, afraid I'll be done soon with singleplayer :/

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
With the combo books, do they help with combing items that are in your home box of they are in the box too? Or do I need to put it in my inventory?

Kinsei

Banned
btw. anyone knows if there's village g-rank this time?
I'm already at 9-stars village quests, afraid I'll be done soon with singleplayer :/

Yes. You unlock them once you reach G rank in the guild hall.

With the combo books, do they help with combing items that are in your home box of they are in the box too? Or do I need to put it in my inventory?

They do. I just stick them in there and do all of my combining from the box.

PKrockin

Not really screwed, especially with the horn. I can't think of any fights in 3U that I would hate to have the horn for, like with the lance vs. Tigrex or Sword and Shield vs. Duramboros. If you need tails, you can always go online and hunt with people who use cutting weapons. I would give the other weapons another shot at some point for the sake of variety.

tuffy

If you're combining things in your box, leave them in your box. If you're combining things in your inventory (like more ammo while on a hunt), carry them with you.

They only help when they are in the same container as the items you combine. I just put them in my item box since I do most of the combining from the box. The few things I combine in the field have a big enough succes rate anyway and they would just take up space in my bag.

PKrockin

If they're in the box they boost your success rate when combining from the box menu. If they're in your inventory they boost your success rate when combining from the pause menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom