• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

Lol got the Gore Magala Nyctgem first try of him in high rank. I feeling like I being trolled so that when I fight brachydios, I going to have a really hard time getting his gem!:x

ilium

I'm a complete MH beginner, I thought maybe they would clutter up the quest board or whatever. :p Bear with me. (And thanks!)

the DLC will be there for as long the server are online, so you also don't have to worry about missing out on something.

in fact i downloaded all DLC for MHFU two months ago!

Heatseeker2

Neo Member
So after 100 hours of pure gun lance play. I want to take up a second weapon, SnS, something with more manueverbility. I played SA exclusively in 3U.

In all past games I have always made a note to make all the weapons I can from the weapon tree no matter how crappy they were. Although I feel this will be more trouble than it's worth for SnS and any other weapon. What SnS (couple) should I just focus on crafting from the "forge weapon" option to be able to dive righ in to high rank play?. I've unlvoked through 8* caravan and HR4.

VandalD

G1 Key Quests?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, if the Garuga guys want help.

Edit: Oh, what the heck. G1 room:

32-7964-4771-7984

Edit: No one? :'(
Joined as Loony. Thanks for the hunts. I screwed up a sleep, forgot cold drinks once, and carted. Pretty sure I didn't kill that Tiger Zam though. Think I need to give the game a break. I was blocking with Guard Up and over half health when the water laser killed me. Bah.
What SnS (couple) should I just focus on crafting from the "forge weapon" option to be able to dive righ in to high rank play?. I've unlvoked through 8* caravan and HR4.
You could just make a Dios S&S to try it out a bit, though you'll want elements with S&S if you stick with it and aren't some mad bomber.

Kuntz

I'll be doing some hr 4/5 quests this evening, working on getting money and armor skills.

29-2015-6011-6157
pass : 8888

Does someone come?

Armaly

Should I even bother trying to farm zinogre jaspers?

fa440df162.png

tuffy

Should I even bother trying to farm zinogre jaspers?
There's a high rank Zinogre hunt-a-thon that should be about a 17% chance from the 6 body carves alone that you'll need for the quest's bare minimum. I wound up with a couple of jaspers without even trying for them.

Armaly

3*3% carve + 2% tail carve + 3% break head +1% would be 15% per kill plus any shiny drops you find. Should be reasonable if you have G rank gear.

Yeah, i'm HR7 atm. :/

There's a high rank Zinogre hunt-a-thon that should be about a 17% chance from the 6 body carves alone that you'll need for the quest's bare minimum. I wound up with a couple of jaspers without even trying for them.

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Prisoner

Joined as Loony. Thanks for the hunts. I screwed up a sleep, forgot cold drinks once, and carted. Pretty sure I didn't kill that Tiger Zam though. Think I need to give the game a break. I was blocking with Guard Up and over half health when the water laser killed me. Bah.

Oh, nonsense. You were both a big help. Pleasure hunting with you!

We're still doing G1 quests if anyone's interested:

32-7964-4771-7984

Qurupeke

I'll be doing a few runs for the Three Virtues/Akantor event quest. If anyone wants to, feel free to join and help!

05-7682-1855-5178
Pass:5555

I'll lift the password in case nobody joins.

jorgejjvr

I'm wondering, how come we can still attack a monster after its dead? Is it possible to ruin carves that way?

You can still get extracts for the glaive and charge up your charge blade. Also monsters like the deviljho will eat dead bodies when hungry, even eating captured monsters at times.

-Alternis

Beats

Having bad luck with these Ancient Shards. It feels like I've gotten every Worn weapon multiple times except a SnS. : <

Juraash

So this last week has been pretty milestone for me with this series. Logged the most hours with this over any of the other games so far. Also hit G2, upgraded my Seregios GS and built his armor. I always seem to burn out right before G-Rank but now that I'm in the middle of it I'm having even more fun. I've managed to scrape by solo on everything so far. While that wasn't a requirement or a goal it's been pretty exciting to see what I can do.

I used to be super nervous about playing with people since I didn't want to be a/the scrub. I can probably join up with some people with at least some confidence.

Parshias7

I just got 2 Ukanlos Stones and 1 Ukanlos Gem off of a single quest. The item I'm actually looking for? The scales. Desire Sensor strikes again.

Typhest

Neo Member
Anybody want to help with HR4-HR5 pink rathian? I am happy to stick around for your urgent as well if needed.

ID: 66-5763-6554-0755

burgerdog

Gogmazios is horrible -_- I've only been playing since MH3U but these "epic" hunts are the worst by far. Hp sponges that have one or two attacks that you actually have to worry about. The rest of the time you're zzzzzzzing attacking them for 30 minutes.

There's no point for gunners to use Wystone:Drive against Apex monsters, is there?

There definitely is. You get added frenzy damage. I've noticed better kill times with it on my Blue Shooter bowgun using RF Normal 2s. It also helps less the bouncing off and smacking you in the face.

So today, I got up to HR7 and helped 3 others get there! Yay!
Then I went back to caravan and got triple carted to Silver Rath. Then to Teostra. Then to Rajang.

Time to put the game down for a while...

Ken

Gogmazios is horrible -_- I've only been playing since MH3U but these "epic" hunts are the worst by far. Hp sponges that have one or two attacks that you actually have to worry about. The rest of the time you're zzzzzzzing attacking them for 30 minutes.

I've not liked a phase based hunt in awhile, so stuff like Mohran, Ceadeus, Dalamadur, and Gog all make me sleepy. I will admit Act of Gog was a little more exciting with everything potentially one shotting. But yeah, I usually groan when I see a new hunt open with a cutscene and a giant boss and those dreaded "you can jump on this here" arrows!

Faiz

The simplest illustration of why that doesn't work is to consider that, for a 3% body carve, for example, there's a 97% chance that something else will drop off. For a 2% tail carve there's a 98% chance something else will carve off.

So what are the chances between just a single body carve and a single tail carve that it won't drop? If they were additive, as you suggest, that would mean there's a 195% chance that it won't drop.

Which of course, is impossible.

Shiina

Every carve is still its own % chance. when you reach the last carve the drop chance isn't 15% as they're all independent.

Like, flip a coin 4 times and your chance of getting head isn't 200% by the fourth flip.

No but it's likely that you will get head twice if you flip it 4 times. Just like it's likely that you'll have your gem by the time you kill Zinogre 7 times.

The simplest illustration of why that doesn't work is to consider that, for a 3% body carve, for example, there's a 97% chance that something else will drop off. For a 2% tail carve there's a 98% chance something else will carve off.

So what are the chances between just a single body carve and a single tail carve that it won't drop? If they were additive, as you suggest, that would mean there's a 195% chance that it won't drop.

Which of course, is impossible.

Well yes, you have to look at them as single events but in a kill you have 6 single events between 1% and 3% that you'll get it. I'm not saying that you'll have it by the 7th kill but that it's more likely than not that you'll have it by then.

Another dumb question. Challenger +2 active shows by this weird red glow on my arm right?

Yes, Challenger is red, Latent Power is blue and they don't stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom