• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm around 6 hours in and I'm loving it so far! I'm gravitating towards using the Charge Blade (already upgraded my weapon, for better or for worse) as it's the only weapon that instantly clicked with me beside the longsword and Insect Glaive. It only took watching one video from Gaijin Hunter on the charged blade to know how intricate the combat is in this game.

I'm currently doing the 2 star quests (are these the story quests? I honestly can't tell if I'm doing the main story or side quests now) and I'm yet to visit the Gathering Hall until I can figure out my internet stuff on the 3DS.

Yup, the Caravan quests are basically the story quests/quests balanced for solo play. The Gathering Hall are quests balanced for online play (I think the only difference is the health that the monsters have, and you start fighting more difficult monsters at a lower star level in the gathering hall).

Grudy

Yup, the Caravan quests are basically the story quests/quests balanced for solo play. The Gathering Hall are quests balanced for online play (I think the only difference is the health that the monsters have, and you start fighting more difficult monsters at a lower star level in the gathering hall).

Does that mean I should avoid the gathering hall quests unless I can play online?

And is there any reason not to sell old armor if I got better pieces?

R0ckman

What is this "rare" kinsect I've been hearing about?

I think calling it rare is a bit misleading. I was able to craft it without being aware of the guide. I also add elements to my bugs because I take advantage of weaknesses, its great because sometimes monsters will flinch when hit by the bug.

Shiina

I think calling it rare is a bit misleading. I was able to craft it without being aware of the guide. I also add elements to my bugs because I take advantage of weaknesses, its great because sometimes monsters will flinch when hit by the bug.

That's some impressive luck because the recipe is pretty rigid and requires you to get points in the (comparatively) useless power stat before doing speed and after that you need to waste points into the completely useless stamina stat.

VandalD

Does that mean I should avoid the gathering hall quests unless I can play online?

And is there any reason not to sell old armor if I got better pieces?
Nah, just be aware that the gathering hall quests will be harder than similar hunts you can do in caravan. There are certain other quests I wouldn't do without others though, like "deliver 10 coal" (did this and wasted an hour since I could only find 9), or the egg transport quests.

tuffy

Same here. By the time I know it everybody is gonna be gold crown g with 999 hr.
I finally got around to finishing up the story yesterday (which was surprisingly cinematic), so I'm in the same boat. Probably going to have to make a room so I can finish up a starter G rank armor set later on to keep from being obliterated in one hit.

Faiz

Went back to Caravan 9 to clear out a few left overs and dual black gravios can bite me. They would not seperate and I spent as much time waiting for them to do so as I did actually fighting. Only 2:30 left on the clock when the second was capped. Bleh.

I guess people were right about Evasion skills messing you up when you play without them.

Just tried out the seregios LBG against a low rank gore and got triple carted.

As soon as he did any melee attack I was dead as I couldn't get away from the next one.

Vuze

Will be doing some Zenith Wyvern Gem farming if my connection holds.
Please only join if you have the Wystone Drive.

room 08-4611-6345-5184
pw 3699

Mugaaz

yeah I know that

hardest part is to find people who even want to do G rank Furious Jang and hopefully they target horns too

If all you need is the horns, then do it offline. The offline quest has subquest to break horns. Bring a GS, Paralyze trap him and double charge combo the head, it will break 1 horn. When he goes into rage mode use a pitfall trap and repeat, horn is broken. End via subquest. There is no point trying to do this online, people are incapable.

So I'm at Caravan 8 now and every attack is starting to hit like a truck, so I think I need new armor. Right now I'm using the Ceanataur set with the Leidenskraft charge blade (the Gore Magala -> S. Magala charge blade). Any tips?

So every morning I wake up to gun down Akantor and I do good, except when i'm not paying attention to him then boom, i get shot down. Well I just got to do Dalamadur and Mr shovelchin and i'll be in G, ready to die xD

VandalD

So I'm at Caravan 8 now and every attack is starting to hit like a truck, so I think I need new armor. Right now I'm using the Ceanataur set with the Leidenskraft charge blade (the Gore Magala -> S. Magala charge blade). Any tips?
When I got to high rank, I went straight to Jaggi armor and didn't upgrade until Black Gravios. A lot of people like Tetsucabra S and Velociprey S, while Jaggi was probably a bad choice on my part since it makes fireballs and fire lasers hurt like hell.

April gives us Sonic Palico costumes, right?

If all you need is the horns, then do it offline. The offline quest has subquest to break horns. Bring a GS, Paralyze trap him and double charge combo the head, it will break 1 horn. When he goes into rage mode use a pitfall trap and repeat, horn is broken. End via subquest. There is no point trying to do this online, people are incapable.
Depends on your group. Last time we killed him in 3:32 and broke the horns.

When I got to high rank, I went straight to Jaggi armor and didn't upgrade until Black Gravios. A lot of people like Tetsucabra S and Velociprey S, while Jaggi was probably a bad choice on my part since it makes fireballs and fire lasers hurt like hell.
Don't remind me. It made farming Azure Rathalos very hard since I couldn't really eat for lucky cat unless I felt like burning up.

Thanks! I haven't had those unlock yet, I didn't realize those were options! I think I'll go for Velociprey S since I haven't completed the guild quests to unlock the better Attack Up food options yet.

ohlawd

to start this quest line, I'm supposed to talk to a cat with an afro in my house? I've never seen him

upandaway

Just killed a Seltas Queen and man, phew. Lemme tell you what. I carted twice, ran out of potions, and had 10% HP when I killed her. I thought I was a goner. That jerk Seltas was way more of a problem than I expected. I figured "hey it's just a seltas what could it possibly do, I'll just focus on the queen", what a mistake.

I'm starting to feel the limit of starting armor. Definitely not expecting to pass some of the next quests first try.

bobohoro

to start this quest line, I'm supposed to talk to a cat with an afro in my house? I've never seen him

I think you need to beat the 10* Molten Tigrex, then he shows up. Didn't let me talk with it for a couple of quest though at first, but just keep checking your house and trying to select him, will happen with time. The questline starts with a HR Brachy hunt, continues with 2 G Iodrome and then you'll get the Blos.

HeeHo

I am just learning about how Guild Quests work. So far, I only have 5 star guild quests but the ones I want are 6 star. How exactly do I start getting 6 star quests from expeditions?

I won't be on until 5 pm Pacific time but the quests I need are: Advanced: Dragon Attack (Agnaktor trading)

I also need Bolt of Pink(nargacuga parts) but I think that quest has some other requirements to it.

Is there no high rank version of Nargacuga gear?

ohlawd

I think you need to beat the 10* Molten Tigrex, then he shows up. Didn't let me talk with it for a couple of quest though at first, but just keep checking your house and trying to select him, will happen with time. The questline starts with a HR Brachy hunt, continues with 2 G Iodrome and then you'll get the Blos.

thanks. gotta do that Stygian/Regios quest before I unlock Molten

Airan

Hot diggity, got a Handicraft+7 charm. Too bad I'm now using the Uka Uka U set, though I suppose I can gem any set with Sharp+1 now :D :D :D

jorgejjvr

Man them 126+ guild quests are a big jump in challenge, one shot kills left and right

Is this the only way to get divine armor spheres?

upandaway

Hooooooly crap I did it oh god. Oh god that was nuts. I'm sweating. I got hit once during the whole fight (which made me cart). That was intense.

Tigrex geez man calm down

la_briola

Anyone up for my >130 Teostra GQ? I want to level him to 140.

I will open a room, maybe we can get 4 people together!

id:39-3076-1861-1830 | pw:1111

(G rank special permit is needed)

So, I beat Gore magala for the first time with the urgent quest. Wasn't that bad other than the insane damage it does while it has it's horns out.

Question: I'm currently using tetsu armor and dear lutena charge blade. I also have the guardsqual charge blade. I should probably farm Gore for it's charge blade, correct? Also, can I get the feelers any way other than breaking them?

Lastly, is there any other good armor aside from tetsu for charge blade users? I'm getting really tired of the look of this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom