• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MH4U feels a lot easier than previous games. I can't tell if it is because I've played too much MH or that it actually is easier. I'm still having fun so it is all good.
Just about to hunt a Najarala for the first time.

Kinsei

Banned
MH4U feels a lot easier than previous games. I can't tell if it is because I've played too much MH or that it actually is easier. I'm still having fun so it is all good.
Just about to hunt a Najarala for the first time.

I think it's a mix of both. While low rank is easier due to making it more accessible to new players there's no doubt our MH experience is making it even easier.

Wow. Everything with Gypceros was going really well... Until I was ready to trap him and found out he was totally immune to shock traps. FUCK.

Next thing I knew he enraged and poisoned me, and by the time I knew it I had killed him off with only two mega pots left. Damn.

Kinsei

Banned
Wow. Everything with Gypceros was going really well... Until I was ready to trap him and found out he was totally immune to shock traps. FUCK.

Next thing I knew he enraged and poisoned me, and by the time I knew it I had killed him off with only two mega pots left. Damn.

Yeah. That's one of the reasons you want to buy the info books. Gypceros isn't the only thing immune to shock traps.

ilium

How do I get online? I am trying to go on a hunt in the guild hall, I ring the gong and...nothing.

I really could use some help getting rid of these early beasts.

I keep running out of cash since I have to invest heavily into bows.

yeah, bow is pretty expensive in the beginning. you can make power coating with nitroshrooms and empty vials. you have to rely a lot on crafting in the beginning, so do some gather runs.
also, make some large barrel bombs, use sleep coating until the monster sleeps, put down 2 bombs directly in front of it and blow it up. damage is huge and it saves some power coatings. ;)
critical distance is really important as well, if the screen shakes when you hit, you do optimal damage.

oh and online and offline progress is independant from one another, so you can't get help for your singleplayer quests. :\

Pics_nao

Oh shit Zinorge quest unlocked. It was this guy that made me fall in love with the series in P3rd. Didn't even get to it in 3U so I'm excited to see what's changed.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
When I started the game I named my character Destiny, but then immediately forgot.
For the past 2 days after every quest on the point summary screen, it kept saying Destiny - xxxx points or whatever and I always thought it was some sort of bonus for something cool I was doing. Like killing my destined monster or something.

Just spent the past 30 minutes trying to google Monster hunter Destiny bonus until it clicked. :(

Unicorn

I'm pissed the farm is gone. I feel like the developers are actively trying to piss me off. Like, this Wycoon is a slap in the face. It's a fucking joke. It's total leaps and bounds backwards from MH3U which was a backstep from MH3 Portable. Like, wtf ate their motives with this shit?

Kinsei

Banned
I'm pissed the farm is gone. I feel like the developers are actively trying to piss me off. Like, this Wycoon is a slap in the face. It's a fucking joke. It's total leaps and bounds backwards from MH3U which was a backstep from MH3 Portable. Like, wtf ate their motives with this shit?

The Wycoon is the exact same as the Moga Farm. Why do you think it's a step back?

What, are you mad you don't need to see a loading screen to get your mats?

Nachos

Anyone know if fighting a monster as a guild quest change its rewards for whatever reason? I've fought the velocidrome 20 times now and have captured it two of those times, but I haven't gotten a single head piece yet.

Kinsei

Banned
It's one item. I needed shrooms. In return I got 3.

Moga farm was garbage too. Portable 3rd was the best farm.

It's only one item at the start. You get more carts to end out just like you upgraded the beehive, mushroom tree, insect box, and fields in 3U.

Anyone know if fighting a monster as a guild quest change its rewards for whatever reason? I've fought the velocidrome 20 times now and have captured it two of those times, but I haven't gotten a single head piece yet.

The head is rare. The rewards you get won;t change until the quest becomes level 31.

Unicorn

It's only one item at the start. You get more carts to end out just like you upgraded the beehive, mushroom tree, insect box, and fields in 3U.
How far in? Got to the second town, but I'm out of resources to make items. Gathering quests are beneath me.

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but is this Monster Hunter a good one to jump into for beginners? I've been curious about this series for a while but I really don't know much about it other than it's supposed to be hard to get into. I also just bought a Wii U so I could also try whatever one is on that console if that would be better?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to make your Palico shut up during a mission? His constant chiming, rattling and whining is driving me crazy.

Kinsei

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but is this Monster Hunter a good one to jump into for beginners? I've been curious about this series for a while but I really don't know much about it other than it's supposed to be hard to get into. I also just bought a Wii U so I could also try whatever one is on that console if that would be better?

This is the best for newcomers. The early game is the easier, there's more tutorials, and the tutorials themselves are better.

Is there a way to make your Palico shut up during a mission? His constant chiming, rattling and whining is driving me crazy.

No. The only thing you can do is leave him in your house.

epmode

I've bounced off MH3 twice now but I'm giving it another go with MH4.

Is it generally a bad idea to stick with a single weapon type? I'll mostly be in single player, at least at the start.

Kinsei

Banned

Is it generally a bad idea to stick with a single weapon type? I'll mostly be in single player, at least at the start.

Not a bad idea at all. Every monster can be killed with any weapon.

Raide

Its good to stick with 1 weapon and get good with it but you really should try out the other stuff.

I think its more important to find 1 weapon you enjoy and get various element types, as well as the right armour + skills for each encounter.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
This game is mocking me... I've killed Najarala 13 times today because I needed one more Chilled Beak for the Gore/Ceanataur set. Of course when I finally get one from carving the body (5% chance), I immediately get a second one...

Hmmmm got my cover plate yesterday. Unfortunately it's glossy and attracts fingerprints unlike the standard one that comes with the system. :(
Still nice to look at!

aoJKUHn.jpg

BTW just slayed my first Tetsukabra! Wasn't very hard, but since he was in the demo, I was expecting as much.

T_Exige

Just killed Gore Magala, wow the last part of the fight was a pain. His wide ranged attack hits hard. He was easier in the demo, maybe I should take some time to get some proper gear besides my great sword.

This game is mocking me... I've killed Najarala 13 times today because I needed one more Chilled Beak for the Gore/Ceanataur set. Of course when I finally get one from carving the body (5% chance), I immediately get a second one...
Looks like they upgraded the Desire Sensor.

Kuntz

Just got HR2 and itching to hunt new things.

ID: 48-0951-1098-6022
Code: 1379

Got d/c.

Why don't you and "Distance" want to share guild cards?
We get more unity by playing together (tickets) and you can send hunter you met on offline quests for more rewards.

Just killed the Gore Magala, great fight. Now I have to grind him to get his dual blades, they ain't even that good, but looking good is 95% of it.

Renewed

Going to get mh today but can't find a new 3ds. If I start the game on my 3ds can I transfer my progress??

If physical, I'm pretty sure the saves are in the cartridge. For digital, you can just do a system transfer then move the data in your SD card over to a MicroSD (if you're not already using one).

bobohoro

Got to the Nerscilla an hour ago and dreaded fighting it because I can't deal with spiders in video games. Turns out that the thing isn't quite so bad. While the intro sequence managed to creep me out, the thing itself is pretty cartooney and reminds me more of a giant, crystalized Altaroth than a big hairy spider.

So for people in a similar situation to mine, where a big fat spider might mean the end for your hunting career, try it, it's not quite so bad.

First Monster Hunter to ever click with me. The Charge Blade is hnnnng.

Landing a fully charged Ultimate Attack on something jumping across the fields might be kinda stupid to try, but is oh so satisfying.

Got d/c.

Why don't you and "Distance" want to share guild cards?
We get more unity by playing together (tickets) and you can send hunter you met on offline quests for more rewards.

I accepted your card yesterday but I guess I didn't realize I had to send my own as well.

I'd like to partner up with some people to take out some monsters! Most notable the Tetsucabra, after one or two other hunts (for parts).

ID:
45 4837 7087 9114

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom