• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hah, I send hunters for hire into G3 Chaos Magala and they fail; they bring back a contrary scale.
If only they weren't useless to me.

deim0s

Trying to solo (w/o cats) the G2 S. Zinogre quest with a CB... and am failing horribly. He's my new kryptonite. He hits like a truck and not letting up when he's in his rage-mode fully-charged.

Goddamn those Dracophage bugs too!

*shakes fist*

Airan

Well, I thought I wouldn't be playing any MonHun online because my room is too far from the WiFi router to pick up a stable connection.

Then I discovered this (free):
www.virtualrouterplus.com
(Windows 7 & 8)

Without any additional hardware, I turned my notebook (which can reach the router) into another access point and yesterday I successfully played MH4U online :D (lol HR1 quests). Before I was only able to if I was on the toilet downstairs...

Kinda funny because this partially reminds me how much I had to setup to get Xlink Kai working back in the old days xD

Anyway, I thought I'd share this if anyone was in the same boat. I feel MH is going to overtake my LoL time now :)

That site looks like those suspicious "free software!" sites which install malware alongside the legit program.

It said open-source, so I tried Googling for it, since it didn't provide a link (alarm #1). This is the open source version - http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

You might want to do a virus scan, just in case.

Ken

Guys what's an easy way to get raw meat ASAP? I usually just do the paw pass quest and get it that way but is there another way?

Do harvest quest a steppe
Run out and kill the 3 aptonoths and carve for up to 6 raw meats
Complete quest and get more raw meat from rewards
Can possibly get 10 raw meats per run.

If you're not using them for mega dash juice though you could just make energy drinks

Card Boy

Banned
pWaTEZL.jpg

WWWih4U.jpg

EDcJfNl.jpg

This is the shit i have to deal with at HR7. I once saw a G2, HR22 person once with just as bad stats. I kid you not.

How the fuck do these people make it so far like this?

For those that don't know Hurricane won't work to it's full potential as it has half it's potential damaged locked away.

This is the shit i have to deal with at HR7. I once saw a G2, HR22 person once with just as bad stats. I kid you not.

For those that don't know Hurricane won't work to it's full potential as it has half it's potential damaged locked away.

Look at all those skills...

They get carried by friends, I assume.

PKrockin

The Auto-Guard talisman on weapons that can't block are what get me every time.

ilium

1 x skill technician
2 x unreal blocker
2 x attack palicos depending on enemy

makes the minigame super easy!

edit: i guess you could even sneak in a reward reaper instead of two attacker..

1 x skill technician
2 x unreal blocker
2 x attack palicos depending on enemy

makes the minigame super easy!

edit: i guess you could even sneak in a reward reaper instead of two attacker..

I'll try this, thanks. I usually win, but it's not braindead easy and it always takes me a minute or so to setup.the proper colors. I never really paid attention to the skills. Just the colors and sizes of the color boxes.

To be honest, I did this as a 3U vet, just for fun.

Soloing Teo without armor skills was nutssssss

Vuze

Just 5 more hunter ranks until my name is purple. Always look forward to that in MH.
I wish they had more colors. Like a different one every 100HRs.
Do harvest quest a steppe
Run out and kill the 3 aptonoths and carve for up to 6 raw meats
Complete quest and get more raw meat from rewards
Can possibly get 10 raw meats per run.

If you're not using them for mega dash juice though you could just make energy drinks
There also was a Wyporium DLC in Japan that allowed to trade raw meat for points but I guess it's not live here yet.

jorgejjvr

Question. It appears I'm pretty much at the end game, fighting apex monsters. It's that all there is to it for now? Like it's all that's left is fighting apex monsters, level up the guild quests and keep fighting them? Don't get me wrong I will still play it and have a blast, I have spent more time in this game than any other. And I love playing with gaf, even just helping others. But I'm just wondering if this is it, or if there's more, maybe dlc idk

Question. It appears I'm pretty much at the end game, fighting apex monsters. It's that all there is to it for now? Like it's all that's left is fighting apex monsters, level up the guild quests and keep fighting them? Don't get me wrong I will still play it and have a blast, I have spent more time in this game than any other. And I love playing with gaf, even just helping others. But I'm just wondering if this is it, or if there's more, maybe dlc idk

Make equipment sets, try other weapons, try arenas. You're at the end pretty much. Now it's really dependent on how much you wanna squeeze out of the game.

tuffy

All of my weapon and armor upgrading has made my hunter poor. I'd been using the high rank Mohran HBG for the longest time, but its below average reload speed was starting to bug me. So I upgraded to the Monoblos HBG which had more attack power (360 attack/0% affinity vs. 300 attack/20% affinity) and fast reload speed. That worked okay for awhile, but its small pierce clip sizes weren't ideal either. So I upgraded yet again to the Zinogre HBG with even more attack power (390 attack/20% affinity) and it has a couple of slots so I can bring in another skill. A test run against a high rank expedition Gore went surprisingly well, and I like how it looks.

But I wound up having to sell off a bunch of ores just to pay for the obligatory power barrel upgrade by the end of it.

jorgejjvr

Make equipment sets, try other weapons, try arenas. You're at the end pretty much. Now it's really dependent on how much you wanna squeeze out of the game.
Cool. The game is so addicting I'm sure I'll keep playing, I still want to keep upgrading my armor and fight harder apex monsters. I also don't have too many guild quests of my own so I need some. A better IG wouldn't hurt neither, would love an apex with insect bias. So yeah there's stuff I still want to do! I also love going back and helping others, it's cool to see how a monster that gave you trouble is now easy. Thanks for answering the question! I think I have over 120 hours, that's the longest I've spent in a game I'm sure, right along side xenoblade

I've played the whole game with the IG, I might switch to try other weapons, but idk IG is too much fun, don't get tired of it!

Shengar

This is what makes me keep going on with the game (as much as I did with 3U). I want a cool armor, but look, that monster is weak to certain element that I don't have access to with my current weapon! It all goes downhill from there.

ilium

there is a website which calculates your chances to get a certain drop and how often you have to farm a monster.

desire sensor

source: reddit

I have over a million bucks. When I needed money I helped gaf or played with randoms with monsters that I didn't need anything from. Then I would get the money from the quest and sell everything from the rewards and sub quests. I played gosmazios again, he was easy now, sold everything and got mad money

yea, i started doing this recently but the hoarder in me is not pleased.

jorgejjvr

All of my weapon and armor upgrading has made my hunter poor . I'd been using the high rank Mohran HBG for the longest time, but its below average reload speed was starting to bug me. So I upgraded to the Monoblos HBG which had more attack power (360 attack/0% affinity vs. 300 attack/20% affinity) and fast reload speed. That worked okay for awhile, but its small pierce clip sizes weren't ideal either. So I upgraded yet again to the Zinogre HBG with even more attack power (390 attack/20% affinity) and it has a couple of slots so I can bring in another skill. A test run against a high rank expedition Gore went surprisingly well, and I like how it looks.

But I wound up having to sell off a bunch of ores just to pay for the obligatory power barrel upgrade by the end of it.
I have over a million bucks. When I needed money I helped gaf or played with randoms with monsters that I didn't need anything from. Then I would get the money from the quest and sell everything from the rewards and sub quests. I played gosmazios again, he was easy now, sold everything and got mad money

Shengar

there is a website which calculates your chances to get a certain drop and how often you have to farm a monster.

desire sensor

source: reddit

yea, i started doing this recently but the hoarder in me is not pleased.

Hoarding money do me no good. If my zenny drop below 1 million, I'm starting to feel anxious :s

also lol at that desire sensor calculator

tuffy

I haven't quite gotten to that point yet. I'd just put together my first G rank armor set in the morning, maxed it out with red armor spheres by the afternoon, upgraded a weapon twice in the evening, and then noticed all my zenny had left me!

But I've got Gold Rathian on my to-do list and a new gun with a big thunder shot clip, so I don't think money will be tight for very much longer.

bobohoro

Cool. The game is so addicting I'm sure I'll keep playing, I still want to keep upgrading my armor and fight harder apex monsters. I also don't have too many guild quests of my own so I need some. A better IG wouldn't hurt neither, would love an apex with insect bias. So yeah there's stuff I still want to do! I also love going back and helping others, it's cool to see how a monster that gave you trouble is now easy. Thanks for answering the question! I think I have over 120 hours, that's the longest I've spent in a game I'm sure, right along side xenoblade

I've played the whole game with the IG, I might switch to try other weapons, but idk IG is too much fun, don't get tired of it!

120 hours and you're at that point already? Damn, that's plenty fast.

I'm sitting at ~145 hours (finally overtook MH3U as my longest played 3DS game) and am dicking around in G1. Wanted to advance yesterday, but everyone keeps dying to T. Zamtrios. Including me. I'm still highly embarassed and if Erza with FT-Shoutouts ever reads this, I'm sorry for supermandiving into waterlaser and getting oneshotted because of -20 res two times in the span of 5 minutes. T'was pretty dumb.

Also build the Khezu X Armor and wanna make a Thunder SnS for it, having +3 in Thunder Atk, Wide Range +2 and gemmed in Rec Level Up. The Kirin one seems to be pretty decent, as does the Rajang one but that seems rather drop-intensive.

Yrael

Well, I've finally started playing online (after getting up to 9* in the Caravan quests). I tried hopping into random rooms, but wasn't having much success - people would either disconnect or do the same gathering quest over and over again. I think for now I'll go through the low rank guild quests alone, and then start doing multiplayer properly for the high rank quests.

Mupod

Managed to upgrade my Najarala HBG to rare 9, and got my Drive wystone. Tried charm farming too - mining the volcano was a waste of time, but using this method I had great results. Found an evasion +6 evade dist +3 no slot charm...dunno if that's good, but it allowed me to do some fun stuff.

I've wanted to make Narga X for a while, partly for looks and partly for skills. I added the Regios X hat with the above charm and was able to get this:

Evasion+3
Evade extender
Normal shot up
Weakness exploit
Sneak

Not bad! Kept trying to add Peak Performance but then I noticed Narga X comes with +4 Tenderizer and went from there. I'd have to drop down to evade+2 if I switched to a gun with fewer slots, but I want to try evade+3 for myself...evade+2 was traditionally one of the most OP skills so I'm guessing this is ridiculous.

But yeah, most important thing is that it looks cool. And hey, I got a New 3DS so I can post a screenshot:

zlCfzTHsDqUDxaPmvh

I'll tweak the colours later. It looked dumb in rainbow, heh.

Got to "10 minutes left" for the first time last night against a monster. Teostra. That was a longass fight.

Actually ended up being a pretty productive night. After being triple carted by S. Rathalos and Teostra multiple times on Saturday, I got them both first try on Sunday. Sometimes a breather really helps.

Parshias7

I haven't quite gotten to that point yet. I'd just put together my first G rank armor set in the morning, maxed it out with red armor spheres by the afternoon, upgraded a weapon twice in the evening, and then noticed all my zenny had left me!

But I've got Gold Rathian on my to-do list and a new gun with a big thunder shot clip, so I don't think money will be tight for very much longer.

One of the best ways to make a ton of cash is to grind for charms or armor spheres. I grinded the hell out of the Dunes (day) pawpass quest to get enough Strong Armor Spheres to max out my armor at the time and I ended up with 100+ of the Carbalite/Eltalite Ores from the area. Sell a bunch of those and make bank. It gets even better once you start farming charms in H.Mount, since you get Ancient Shards that turn into weapons you can sell for 20k a pop, along with all the Ore and the charms you don't want to keep.

One of the best ways to make a ton of cash is to grind for charms or armor spheres. I grinded the hell out of the Dunes (day) pawpass quest to get enough Strong Armor Spheres to max out my armor at the time and I ended up with 100+ of the Carbalite/Eltalite Ores from the area. Sell a bunch of those and make bank. It gets even better once you start farming charms in H.Mount, since you get Ancient Shards that turn into weapons you can sell for 20k a pop, along with all the Ore and the charms you don't want to keep.

Another thing I did was go through all of my materials of old LR and HR monster parts that I had 20+ of and sold 10 of each. Ended up making about 150,000z from it.
There was a while where I was farming A. Rath about 5 times a day looking for a ruby. I had a LOT of parts.

Mupod

yeah, I made a charmer+20 set and started mining in the volcano since that's how I did charm farming in past games. But while I got crappy charms, I got TONS of money from ancient shard weapons. Felt like half the time I'd finish the quest with 50,000z worth of useless crap in the box.

I got lots of armor spheres I needed for the above armor, glad I did because it got me more than 100 defense over my Lagombi X junk.

Even with all that cash I still had to sell some monster parts though. Thankfully all the Dahren Mohran, Dalamadur and Black Gravios I did to help GAF hunters meant I had about 400k worth of useless junk to sell.

Volcynika

Any particular sets of armor I should consider later on in high rank? I have the HR Tetsucabra set which I have been told should carry me far and is handling fine so far, just not sure about any future sets prior to G rank. Have been hoarding armor sphere sets just for it! Dual blade user, for reference. Been working on upgrading my weapons and that's been going pretty well.

yeah, I made a charmer+20 set and started mining in the volcano since that's how I did charm farming in past games. But while I got crappy charms, I got TONS of money from ancient shard weapons. Felt like half the time I'd finish the quest with 50,000z worth of useless crap in the box.

What did you use to get your charmer + 20, by chance? I'm about to the point where I can start really sinking time into charm farming, but you can't really find a good set with HR gear.

tuffy

I'll be going on harvest tours at Heaven's Mount or Dunes (night) looking for Sovereign Ores to turn into Jumping Jewel 2s later on tonight, so I'm sure to wind up with a bunch of spare ores to sell for quick cash.

It's so easy to make tons of cash just cleaning out a lot of excess from one's equipment box or monster parts box that it's always a little funny when funds dry up temporarily.

Yrael

Boom, HR 1 done. On to HR 2!

(I think I'm a bit overpowered for these quests, given that I've been working my way through the caravan quests first. Ah well, it doesn't particularly matter.)

Mupod

What did you use to get your charmer + 20, by chance? I'm about to the point where I can start really sinking time into charm farming, but you can't really find a good set with HR gear.

Hope you like arenas.

The best way to do it is to get the Felyne Hairband from the G rank arenas - that means Apex Deviljho and others.

I didn't know about this, and I don't even have the G arenas I need unlocked. So instead I used a 3 slot chest (any will do, hell I use Chakra), 3 Charmer gems and a crappy charmer talisman. Every other slot was torso up, and I had to do arenas to make the black belt gloves. If you have a better charmer talisman you can get away without one torso up piece - I found a +6 one while farming which enabled me to swap out one armor piece and get speed gather on the set.

I'd definitely like to make some progress on G arenas. Glorious maid armor. I had fun doing the normal ones too, frenzy normal/black gravios is hilarious chaos.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hope you like arenas.

The best way to do it is to get the Felyne Hairband from the G rank arenas - that means Apex Deviljho and others.

I didn't know about this, and I don't even have the G arenas I need unlocked. So instead I used a 3 slot chest (any will do, hell I use Chakra), 3 Charmer gems and a crappy charmer talisman. Every other slot was torso up, and I had to do arenas to make the black belt gloves. If you have a better charmer talisman you can get away without one torso up piece - I found a +6 one while farming which enabled me to swap out one armor piece and get speed gather on the set.

I'd definitely like to make some progress on G arenas. Glorious maid armor. I had fun doing the normal ones too, frenzy normal/black gravios is hilarious chaos.
I just learned that barrage earrings needed clearing of all G ranks with every weapon, FML.

burgerdog

I did a Chameleos run yesterday to sell the mats. I couldn't do it, I ended up keeping everything >.> I think I'll do a few today and sell everything. I have a few weapons that I can max out with the cash. Another thing that's really hurting me is lack of good charms. I have four sets of gear now that are being slightly held back by stupid charms.

Leezard

I ran some black gravios hunts looking for pallium. I had 130 cortexes (spelling?) by the time I got one, and sold half. So much money.

Shengar

You know when Dah'ren Mohran walking to slow during final showdown and it die outside the arena that makes the hunters can't carve its mouth? Don't worry, in G Rank Capcom solved this problem!
By putting right in front of your face in the start of final showdown.
I managed to put the thing down, but I'll be lying if I don't say that scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom