• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinNL

Well, I thought I wouldn't be playing any MonHun online because my room is too far from the WiFi router to pick up a stable connection.

Then I discovered this (free):
www.virtualrouterplus.com
(Windows 7 & 8)

Without any additional hardware, I turned my notebook (which can reach the router) into another access point and yesterday I successfully played MH4U online :D (lol HR1 quests). Before I was only able to if I was on the toilet downstairs...

Kinda funny because this partially reminds me how much I had to setup to get Xlink Kai working back in the old days xD

Anyway, I thought I'd share this if anyone was in the same boat. I feel MH is going to overtake my LoL time now :)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
What do you guys do if Drive runs out and the monster isn't un-apexed?
Use my other Wystone and keep at it.
Basically go solo in a 140 rank guild quest and keep abandoning until you get a rare (treasure area).

Do the mining and triple cart. If not satisfied with relic goodness close the game and reload. It's basically back-to-back relic mining.
Sounds boring. :(

Seil

Wait really?

Maybe it's just the relative strength of the two monsters then. I'm pretty sure it's not the Ash version. I thought for sure it had something to do with my element but I guess not.

Yeah, Kecha Wacha and Nerscylla are both entirely resistant to water, so the element would be completely ignored.

Kecha Wacha does take more damage from cutting weapons than Nerscylla, though.

PKrockin

Wait really?

Maybe it's just the relative strength of the two monsters then. I'm pretty sure it's not the Ash version. I thought for sure it had something to do with my element but I guess not.
Ash has a pretty striking color scheme. Kecha Wacha and Nerscylla have basically the same HP but Kecha's weak spots are much easier to hit IMO and he doesn't move around as much so I definitely have an easier time with him too.

Ken

Stubbornly hitting it with other Wystone

There isn't any better alternative. is it? The faster it went out of Apex the better.

People carting trying to slowly un-apex the thing idk. I don't really like Drive as a mechanic much tbh. It and Apex seem kind of shoehorned in unlike the other Wystones?

People carting trying to slowly un-apex the thing idk. I don't really like Drive as a mechanic much tbh. It and Apex seem kind of shoehorned in unlike the other Wystones?

I don't like that even people with Mind's Eye/ESP/Steady Hand still bounce off Apex without Drive.

That's when it became painfully clear that it's a shoehorned mechanic, since it negates previously established mechanics.

Do you still working or can help me with Basarios?

His theme is great though.

I'm working, but do you mean you're grinding the guild quest? If yes, then I don't mind playing while working if you don't mind me stepping out every once in awhile to do a task or two.

I have to work for the next 5 more hours.

PKrockin

Yeah, just going by my first fight with Apex Seregios in the caravan quests, the Drive/Apex concept seems pretty annoying and pointless.

Yeah, just going by my first fight with Apex Seregios in the caravan quests, the Drive/Apex concept seems pretty annoying and pointless.

I love the lore concept of Apex but its implementation into game mechanics is awful.

I'm thinking the only reason they even allowed us to equip two Wystones eventually is because they knew a slot would have to be wasted on Drive for Apex hunts.

Shengar

I'm working, but do you mean you're grinding the guild quest? If yes, then I don't mind playing while working if you don't mind me stepping out every once in awhile to do a task or two.

I have to work for the next 5 more hours.

Just single hunt if we're lucky. It's against Basarios and Ruby cousin, shouldn't take long unless the Desire Sensor screw me from getting one fellwing lol

Just single hunt if we're lucky. It's against Basarios and Ruby cousin, shouldn't take long unless the Desire Sensor screw me from getting one fellwing lol

Rock and roll
see what I did there?
. Room info? Did you ever accept my friend invite so we can stop doing this guild hall code crap? Lol.

I think you might have but I just don't see you on my friend list, like ever. Maybe you're set to invisible.

G-rank Teostra was surprisingly easy, but it really helps that you fight him in Dunes (Day), Volcano is a terrible map for a monster like that.

Ken

I think the point is that they want players to be ultra aggressive given the Drive having both the slowest recharge and the lowest duration of Wystones, but it's annoying because if you fail there aren't really any alternatives to it aside from flawless play or waiting out the recharge (which seems timed to coincide with re-Apexing so they really want you to get one Apex per charge)? There's no armor skills to increase Wystone duration, or potency, or even to give you Drive as a passive skill so you can't make a anti-Apex set or something; Wystones are their own little world.

You could risk the bounce animation and try with the other stones but that's really dumb...?

Come to think of it, Drive is useless against normal Frenzy so it's really its own thing.

jaosobno

So I finally got to Gore Magala fight.

First try (Great Sword); used entire stack of mega potions, including all the first aid ones. Carted once, took me 30 minutes to beat him.

Second try (Insect Glaive); used 6 mega potions, didn't cart, took me 20 minutes.

I think that IG was a real game changer. Gore is a tough SOB, fast and hits like a truck. Great Sword felt too slow, specially when Gore enters rage mode.

About that rage mode; how exactly do I get Gore's feeler (I need 1 to make new IG)? I know it emerges from his head when he goes berserk, but how do I break them? Do I need slicing weapon, or can I just use IG to do it (I use Bone version which has blunt damage)? Any special tactic I should employ? I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is wait for him to do that super ground smash (he gets stuck for about 5 seconds) and then try to smack him on the head as much as possible. Would SnS be viable in that fight? It's a fast weapon and it would allow me to reach his head much faster (although DPS is pretty low, so I don't know if I can do enough damage before he recovers).

Shengar

So I finally got to Gore Magala fight.

First try (Great Sword); used entire stack of mega potions, including all the first aid ones. Carted once, took me 30 minutes to beat him.

Second try (Insect Glaive); used 6 mega potions, didn't cart, took me 20 minutes.

I think that IG was a real game changer. Gore is a tough SOB, fast and hits like a truck. Great Sword felt too slow, specially when Gore enters rage mode.

About that rage mode; how exactly do I get Gore's feeler (I need 1 to make new IG)? I know it emerges from his head when he goes berserk, but how do I break them? Do I need slicing weapon, or can I just use IG to do it (I use Bone version which has blunt damage)? Any special tactic I should employ? I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is wait for him to do that super ground smash (he gets stuck for about 5 seconds) and then try to smack him on the head as much as possible. Would SnS be viable in that fight? It's a fast weapon and it would allow me to reach his head much faster (although DPS is pretty low, so I don't know if I can do enough damage before he recovers).

You should mount or pit trapped it while the feeler is out, then you can attack it. One time should be enough with decent weapon.

PKrockin

It's surprisingly satisfying going on an expedition, not knowing exactly what to expect, and ending up murdering all 5 monsters that once called those woods their home.

Prototype

Finally got enough gear and charms to start mixing.
something that's not ugly

Just made a basic sharpness +1, crit draw, focus, HG ears set.

Anything else at this point is just a bonus as these are the core skills I want.

SuperSah

Banned
I had an awesome Rathian moment where I mounted it and it tossed me off, causing my hunter to roll down the area, trying to hold R to get a grip with Rathian pelting fireballs at me.

Superb.

Ken

Yay, finished with Divine Spheres in my Blademaster set. Got 5 spheres from 130 double Rajang GQ. Also learned you apparently can't dung bomb them out. ._.

Ricky 7

The Seregios Gunlance is really good, it hardly ever loses it's sharpness. Mine pretty much stays on purple sharpness throughout a hunt.

Reknoc

Man, Azure Rath wrecked me, so now I'm putting off the rematch by working on a getting a good Gunlance set going. Got all the Seltas stuff so now I just need a Seregios Gunlance to replace my Dios one.

I would like to do the HR5 stuff I miss before moving to HR6. It involves some multi monsters quests featuring, rath (husband and wife), tigrex, Khezu (yeah...), gore, Gravios (yeah...).
I like to tick boxes, and It will allow me to make money cause I am a little bit broke.

Is someone interested? Is there a room already set up? Should I make one?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I would like to do the HR5 stuff I miss before moving to HR6. It involves some multi monsters quests featuring, rath (husband and wife), tigrex, Khezu (yeah...), gore, Gravios (yeah...).
I like to tick boxes, and It will allow me to make money cause I am a little bit broke.

Is someone interested? Is there a room already set up? Should I make one?
I'm down, set it up.

The Seregios Gunlance is really good, it hardly ever loses it's sharpness. Mine pretty much stays on purple sharpness throughout a hunt.
It has 3x the sliver of purple other Reggie weapons do, in theory because of shelling, but it's a really generous amount of sharpness, and if you do evade lancing you're kicking butt.

Shengar

After R Basarios Fellwing, Kirin IG needs 3 Garuga Silverpelts for upgrade
Damn, this thing just very hard to upgrade, isn't it?
Thanks!
room up

19 5507 6924 4974
code 0307

2 spots available!
(We're doing some HR5 stuff)

Joining in, want to practice my gunner play skill.

membran

Guys what's an easy way to get raw meat ASAP? I usually just do the paw pass quest and get it that way but is there another way?

Apparently, there is no easy way:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/item/raw-meat

If I recall correctly, you could buy raw meat directly from a NPC back in MH3U, but not in MH4U.

If you don't need them for dash juice, may I recommend making the switch to energy drinks for stamina? It's combined via nitroshroom+honey (both of which can be multiplied at the Wycoon). It's animation is a bit faster and it also works versus sleep blight (drink it when hit with sleep, before falling asleep).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom