• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgejjvr

120 hours and you're at that point already? Damn, that's plenty fast.

I'm sitting at ~145 hours (finally overtook MH3U as my longest played 3DS game) and am dicking around in G1. Wanted to advance yesterday, but everyone keeps dying to T. Zamtrios. Including me. I'm still highly embarassed and if Erza with FT-Shoutouts ever reads this, I'm sorry for supermandiving into waterlaser and getting oneshotted because of -20 res two times in the span of 5 minutes. T'was pretty dumb.

Also build the Khezu X Armor and wanna make a Thunder SnS for it, having +3 in Thunder Atk, Wide Range +2 and gemmed in Rec Level Up. The Kirin one seems to be pretty decent, as does the Rajang one but that seems rather drop-intensive.
Huh, I never thought about that being fast, that's interesting. I have two jobs and only one day off, so I actually don't have much time to play, usually work from 7 am to 7 pm. But I guess the little time I did have I managed my time and had a goal to achieve each time, and I did focus on keys to move along. Now when I play it's more focused on fighting apex monsters, get divine armor spheres, help others etc, still having a blast some 140+ apex monsters can still take out half my life. How many people here on gaf are to this point too? I would prefer to hunt apex with gaf than random

burgerdog

You know when Dah'ren Mohran walking to slow during final showdown and it die outside the arena that makes the hunters can't carve its mouth? Don't worry, in G Rank Capcom solved this problem!
By putting right in front of your face in the start of final showdown.
I managed to put the thing down, but I'll be lying if I don't say that scares me.

That's good, yesterday I got impatient and killed it knowing that I wouldn't be able to carve its mouth.

Tom_Cody

I'm getting to the end of low rank and I have some questions about the transition to high rank (I play almost exclusively offline):

I keep hearing about how you need to get high rank armor as soon as you make the transition. Can someone explain this to me? I'm currently using Gore Magala armor that I have upgraded through armor stone +. Will this instantly become obsolete?

Also, are the models for HR armor different? Or is it simply the same armor with higher numbers?

Shengar

That's good, yesterday I got impatient and killed it knowing that I wouldn't be able to carve its mouth.

It scares me because a number of problems:

-I didn't managed to break all of its breakable back part and horn
-Dragonator was on cooling down at the start of the final showdown

I was scared that it will destroy the ship, then it just die all of the sudden .__.

I'm getting to the end of low rank and I have some questions about the transition to high rank (I play almost exclusively offline):

I keep hearing about how you need to get high rank armor as soon as you make the transition. Can someone explain this to me? I'm currently using Gore Magala armor that I have upgraded through armor stone +. Will this instantly become obsolete?

Also, are the models for HR armor different? Or is it simply the same armor with higher numbers?

LR armor become obsolote as soon as you can craft HR armor. They are just inferior in many way from defense rating to skills, and the latter is a difference that you couldn't overcome with armor stone.
Most them have the same model. Only Zinogre armor that have different model across all rank due to the fact that they reuse MH3U G Rank armor as H Rank version (and make a very crappy looking G Rank one instead).

I forgot to mention last night, seeing the Jho rear up to do his dragonbreath attack did catch me by surprise. And it also made me laugh more than it should.

VandalD

Not instantly, but you'll start feeling the pain eventually depending on how many armor spheres you sink into your Gore set. Higher rarity armors just end up having more defense than lower rarities, and they also generally have better skills and more slots for decorations.

Parshias7

Your upgraded LR armor will have less defense than many base HR armor sets. It is recommended that you find an easy to make set like the Great Jaggi set to upgrade into as a stopgap before you find the armor set with the skills you like the most.

LR and HR armor look exactly the same, but the G Rank versions of armor comes with a different appearance.

I just fight seregios for the first time. It was scary, the bleeding thing is a pain...
Is anyone interested in fighting some Azur Rathalos and Stygian Zinogre? I have some weapons to improve.
room 53 9663 4229 9850
code 0307 (I am not even sure I put one lol)

w00zey

Can someone please tell me what the points are that relate to your weapon? More specifically how you can get more. I am trying to upgrade from bone staff + to mauldrone and only lack points.

deim0s

I just fight seregios for the first time. It was scary, the bleeding thing is a pain...
Is anyone interested in fighting some Azur Rathalos and Stygian Zinogre? I have some weapons to improve.
room 53 9663 4229 9850
code 0307 (I am not even sure I put one lol)
Joined ya.

Shengar

Can someone please tell me what the points are that relate to your weapon? More specifically how you can get more. I am trying to upgrade from bone staff + to mauldrone and only lack points.

That's an IG thing only. You need to feed nectar to your bug to a certain point before you can upgrade the weapon to the next form.

Shengar

Does your choice of nectar effect the stats of the upgraded weapon?

The weapon as in the glaive? no, they are straightforward. It is the insect part that its stats gonna affected. Different point on state will lead to a different kind of kinsect with different skill.

Hope you like arenas.

The best way to do it is to get the Felyne Hairband from the G rank arenas - that means Apex Deviljho and others.

I didn't know about this, and I don't even have the G arenas I need unlocked. So instead I used a 3 slot chest (any will do, hell I use Chakra), 3 Charmer gems and a crappy charmer talisman. Every other slot was torso up, and I had to do arenas to make the black belt gloves. If you have a better charmer talisman you can get away without one torso up piece - I found a +6 one while farming which enabled me to swap out one armor piece and get speed gather on the set.

I'd definitely like to make some progress on G arenas. Glorious maid armor. I had fun doing the normal ones too, frenzy normal/black gravios is hilarious chaos.

o_O That Felyne Hairband will be a tough one.
I do have a Charmer +6 Talisman that I just found, and I am to the point where I can get Charmer decorations, so I might be able to make something like this right now. Adament Orbs for the decorations will be tough to farm up though XD.

Tom_Cody

LR armor become obsolote as soon as you can craft HR armor. They are just inferior in many way from defense rating to skills, and the latter is a difference that you couldn't overcome with armor stone.
Most them have the same model. Only Zinogre armor that have different model across all rank due to the fact that they reuse MH3U G Rank armor as H Rank version (and make a very crappy looking G Rank one instead).

Not instantly, but you'll start feeling the pain eventually depending on how many armor spheres you sink into your Gore set. Higher rarity armors just end up having more defense than lower rarities, and they also generally have better skills and more slots for decorations.

Your upgraded LR armor will have less defense than many base HR armor sets. It is recommended that you find an easy to make set like the Great Jaggi set to upgrade into as a stopgap before you find the armor set with the skills you like the most.

LR and HR armor look exactly the same, but the G Rank versions of armor comes with a different appearance.
Thanks guys.

Ugh, this what I was dreading. I had to kill/capture Gore 12 times to get the necessary plate and feelers. And I hate the way the Gunner Jaggi set looks...

Oh well. For low rank I used the Tetsucabra and Nerscylla (and Gore) sets, so I guess I'll just pick different sets for High rank to mix things up.

One more question:

Does the LR/HR transition work the same way with weapons? Or will it be a more gradual transition due to weapon trees?

bobohoro

Any particular sets of armor I should consider later on in high rank? I have the HR Tetsucabra set which I have been told should carry me far and is handling fine so far, just not sure about any future sets prior to G rank. Have been hoarding armor sphere sets just for it! Dual blade user, for reference. Been working on upgrading my weapons and that's been going pretty well.

The Yian Garuga set, while hideous, is pretty versatile and already has great skills for blademaster with Earplugs, Razor Sharp and 11 points into expert. And enough slots to gem in other stuff as well as. I'm still rocking it in early G-rank, more than my Plesioth X and Khezu X armor.

Btw, does anyone happen to have a LR Kirin quest at hand? I need 9 more hides to start my SnS. <.<

Does the LR/HR transition work the same way with weapons? Or will it be a more gradual transition due to weapon trees?

It's a much more gradual transition - operating basically the same way as it did in Low Rank. The more monsters you kill and parts you acquire, the more weapon trees will open up allowing for more damage, better elements, higher sharpness, etc. Since upgrading a weapon removes the old one from your inventory, you don't have to worry about using obsolete weapons.

Shengar

The Yian Garuga set, while hideous, is pretty versatile and already has great skills for blademaster with Earplugs, Razor Sharp and 11 points into expert. And enough slots to gem in other stuff as well as. I'm still rocking it in early G-rank, more than my Plesioth X and Khezu X armor.

Btw, does anyone happen to have a LR Kirin quest at hand? I need 9 more hides to start my SnS. <.<

Unless you have friend to farm with, Garuga armor simply inadvisable. That monster is a relic of 2nd generation broken hitbox and janky animation. Thing will put more stress than a Azure Rathalos ever did and Rath Soul is pretty much an upgrade over Garuga skill wise.

bobohoro

Unless you have friend to farm with, Garuga armor simply inadvisable. That monster is a relic of 2nd generation broken hitbox and janky animation. Thing will put more stress than a Azure Rathalos ever did and Rath Soul is pretty much an upgrade over Garuga skill wise.

Yian certainly is annoying, but nothing a bit of patience can't fix. Playing it safe will take longer, but the drops are way easier to get than the Rath Soul armor set.

Shiina

I've been farming a 140 double Garuga quest for a while and it's not that bad. The hitboxes are pretty messed up but they don't have much HP. Last time we managed to kill the first one in 3 minutes.

R0ckman

Hope you like arenas.

The best way to do it is to get the Felyne Hairband from the G rank arenas - that means Apex Deviljho and others.

I didn't know about this, and I don't even have the G arenas I need unlocked. So instead I used a 3 slot chest (any will do, hell I use Chakra), 3 Charmer gems and a crappy charmer talisman. Every other slot was torso up, and I had to do arenas to make the black belt gloves. If you have a better charmer talisman you can get away without one torso up piece - I found a +6 one while farming which enabled me to swap out one armor piece and get speed gather on the set.

I'd definitely like to make some progress on G arenas. Glorious maid armor. I had fun doing the normal ones too, frenzy normal/black gravios is hilarious chaos.

Arenas are actually more fun to me, had way more fun with randoms in that mode. Never did it in 3U and regret it now.

Shengar

Yian certainly is annoying, but nothing a bit of patience can't fix. Playing it safe will take longer, but the drops are way easier to get than the Rath Soul armor set.

Maybe I play with the wrong waepon at that time, lance that is.
It spams ground peck until my stamina is run out when my shield up. It always instant charge attack or tail swipe whenever I try to attacked it. I ever carted to it, but all of its moveset is clearly designed to annoy the player.

Yeah, I must be not patient enough. So if anyone feel have the patience to solo Garuga, go for it. But if you have short patience like me and even more so when feel being cheated, build different armor instead.

ilium

Garuga is really easy with bow tho :p

R0ckman

Maybe I play with the wrong waepon at that time, lance that is.
It spams ground peck until my stamina is run out when my shield up. It always instant charge attack or tail swipe whenever I try to attacked it. I ever carted to it, but all of its moveset is clearly designed to annoy the player.

Yeah, I must be not patient enough. So if anyone feel have the patience to solo Garuga, go for it. But if you have short patience like me and even more so when feel being cheated, build different armor instead.

I did it about twice and was done, that thing is just so buggy, it looked like it was lagged and I wasn't even online. It would teleport, and that's a pain considering it can do a run and just directly go into attack combo frames. They clearly just copy pasted the monster.

Shengar

I've been farming a 140 double Garuga quest for a while and it's not that bad. The hitboxes are pretty messed up but they don't have much HP. Last time we managed to kill the first one in 3 minutes.
I don't have the luxury of earplug and windres at the time I try to farm it. It also doesn't help that my hunter shield her face from wind when standing behind Yian Garuga's head while spitting fire. Those janky animations and broken hitboxes left me with such bitter impression on it that I can't stand it whenever I see its name on a material requirement.

If I don't try to solo it during my early HR days, maybe I wouldn't so bitter against it.
Garuga is really easy with bow tho :p

Then you must helped me farm 3 Silverpelts
lol

Tom_Cody

It's a much more gradual transition - operating basically the same way as it did in Low Rank. The more monsters you kill and parts you acquire, the more weapon trees will open up allowing for more damage, better elements, higher sharpness, etc. Since upgrading a weapon removes the old one from your inventory, you don't have to worry about using obsolete weapons.
Thanks.

Shengar

Sure, no Problem. I'll be back from uni in about 2h.
Can't do it, have to sleep ;__;
what are some sick wallpapers for desktop?

You mean, MH wallpaper? One that I can think off is a Shah Dalamadur fanart that Gaijinhunter shared a months ago. But I forgot to save it and lazy to dig it up today.

I occasionally browse for good fanarts (anything not just MH) but I rarely see one that dekstop worthy from MH.

jorgejjvr

Can't do it, have to sleep ;__;

You mean, MH wallpaper? One that I can think off is a Shah Dalamadur fanart that Gaijinhunter shared a months ago. But I forgot to save it and lazy to dig it up today.

I occasionally browse for good fanarts (anything not just MH) but I rarely see one that dekstop worthy from MH.

Yep MH4 wallpapers :)

R0ckman

There's gotta be a better charm farming place than the mount, not enough spots. Is there a place that increases the amount of spots sacrificing the shorter time farming? I don't mind taking my time farming.

PrankT

Cool. The game is so addicting I'm sure I'll keep playing, I still want to keep upgrading my armor and fight harder apex monsters. I also don't have too many guild quests of my own so I need some. A better IG wouldn't hurt neither, would love an apex with insect bias. So yeah there's stuff I still want to do! I also love going back and helping others, it's cool to see how a monster that gave you trouble is now easy. Thanks for answering the question! I think I have over 120 hours, that's the longest I've spent in a game I'm sure, right along side xenoblade

I've played the whole game with the IG, I might switch to try other weapons, but idk IG is too much fun, don't get tired of it!
I'm almost 140 hours in and have only used the switch-axe and horn. Finally got the maxed-out hunting horn I wanted, so now I can start to think about other weapons. Everyone with an insect glaive seems to have an easy time with monsters and are generally make life a lot easier, so I need to try it out.

On a side note, thanks for helping in random fights along the way.

Lumyst

I'm 24 hours in and am at the Cheeko Sands. I made the Kecha and Tetsucabra armor sets already and made the Tetsucabra great sword and gunlance. The initial adjustment period went by really well and I'm sure to spend a very long time with this game, trying out different weapons and eagerly hunting monsters to craft better armor and weapons. I am glad that I very deliberately went ahead and challenged myself to try something new rather than something familiar when selecting the game to purchase with my New3DS-XL.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yay, finished my Guildmarm cosplay; it's nice since it has Gathering and Charm God when I gem it all with my talisman.

jorgejjvr

I'm almost 140 hours in and have only used the switch-axe and horn. Finally got the maxed-out hunting horn I wanted, so now I can start to think about other weapons. Everyone with an insect glaive seems to have an easy time with monsters and are generally make life a lot easier, so I need to try it out.

On a side note, thanks for helping in random fights along the way.

Hey no problem, always a pleasure! The game is more fun with people you can interact with! And I wouldn't say IG makes it easier, I would say it makes it fun! If anything it was a bit hard to get used to. Upgrading is so different from any other weapon, and the bread and butter of it is to hit the three body parts for the buffs, which is easier said than done. I love the mounting mechanic so the IG was easy choice for me. Once I got the hang of it I fell in love. I do like how its pretty much a fast moving weapon, maybe not as strong as a hammer or Long Sword but it is strong enough and its pretty agile, specially with the buffs.

Yesterday I got the three buffs and I checked my status. I had about 1038 raw damage and 780 defense. With the buffs I was generally between 1200-1400 raw, and about 851 in defense.

PrankT

Didn't mean to imply the weapon was easy, just that people who use it generally do great and tear stuff up. Also, am I the only person who stalks other people's loadouts in the lobby and takes pictures of their armor/weapon sets for future reference??

jorgejjvr

Didn't mean to imply the weapon was easy, just that people who use it generally do great and tear stuff up. Also, am I the only person who stalks other people's loadouts in the lobby and takes pictures of their armor/weapon sets for future reference??

I check everyone's load out to see how they compare to me, but thats about it :p

I reallyyyyy want an apex with insect bias, would love an even stronger weapon, would hate losing my 60+ defense on honing though...

Mupod

Arenas are actually more fun to me, had way more fun with randoms in that mode. Never did it in 3U and regret it now.

my problem with arenas is that the armor sets/weapons are usually really weird/terrible setups for HBG, on the rare occasion it's usable. Never any evade extender, limiter is always on, and usually have terrible shots for the job at hand. I guess that's part of the fun but 4U's arenas are seriously tough, not the casual nonsense of past games.

Also I swear every single arena has gunlance/bow/CB as an option (only weapons I can't use well) but I've only seen one with hammer. And of course it was deviljho - who I am somehow still good at fighting with a hammer, despite not doing it since Tri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom