• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Not bad eh?

Anyone know the exact values between Challenger +1 and +2?

ilvGmm916xyPT.jpg

i1zToSUE5Q5IO.jpg

Rip in peace individuality

Wish I had a better charm cause wide range+1 is bleh. Only been useful for party poison cleanse and party frenzy delay.

upandaway

Second time I failed a Shagaru Magala, I really tried hard this time. Really bummed out.

I was reduced to draw-and-run tactics with my GS, my only level 3 charges were after riding him (my panic strategy that got me Village Alatreon and Mark of a Hero in 3U). Not sure what else I can do now.

I might need my cats...

Vuze

Challenger +1 is the same as Attack Up Small while Challenger +2 is the same as Attack UP XL, or so this guide says
That's a nice table, thanks for sharing.
I'm not sure whether or not Challenger+2 gives XL tho, sounds like overkill.

E: Japanese bible in fact says it's +25 and RA+2. holy crap

Shengar

Second time I failed a Shagaru Magala, I really tried hard this time. Really bummed out.

I was reduced to draw-and-run tactics with my GS, my only level 3 charges were after riding him (my panic strategy that got me Village Alatreon and Mark of a Hero in 3U). Not sure what else I can do now.

I might need my cats...

It's time to bring out LeLe

Ken

Kinda sucks if I have to break the streak at the end like that, but I guess I'll still have my starting armor run

I'll have to think about this

Doesn't shagaru have a lot of openings for GS? Like after his body slam, cleave, and during most of his projectile attacks?

upandaway

Doesn't shagaru have a lot of openings for GS? Like after his body slam, cleave, and during most of his projectile attacks?
It was a bit hard to experiment but the best I managed was a single charge on most animations, I never managed a level 3, and 2 wasn't really worth the risk.

I'll look up some videos I guess

upandaway

Yeah it's an entirely different story when he has other targets. Like half of his attacks become level 3 charges with no punishment.

I could try another weapon and if that doesn't work out I'll bring cats

Reknoc

I really need to step up my GL game. Seregios just destroyed me. I didn't realise so many of his attacks caused bleeding lol

After the shocking Nintendo DeNA annoucement, I need to chill down. Killing some HR6 azur rathalos would do the trick.

Someone with me?

room's up 22 8278 2961 4474
code 0307

upandaway

Tried the glaive once and failed too. Every time I jumped on him he did the hop back + claw attack :lol I don't know how they keep countering me so perfectly.

Which SMag are you doing solo?
The... first one? Just trying to beat caravan. I guess I shouldn't have hoped to beat an elder dragon without learning him first.

Ken

Tried the glaive once and failed too. Every time I jumped on him he did the hop back + claw attack :lol I don't know how they keep countering me so perfectly.

The... first one? Just trying to beat caravan. I guess I shouldn't have hoped to beat an elder dragon without learning him first.

Ooh. I wanted to try soloing it too but it'd be unfair to bring G rank armor to it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I just can't do the Master's Test; I even had Apex Deviljho kill Apex Diablos for me, but Deviljho just wrecks me.

Can't for the life of me catch 8 Small Goldenfish

Keep getting interrupted by a Tetsucabra, and various types of Tuna and Sleepyfish keep preventing the Small Goldenfish from getting to the bait first :(

Defeated by a 1-star quest :p

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Keep getting interrupted by a Tetsucabra, and various types of Tuna and Sleepyfish keep preventing the Small Goldenfish from getting to the bait first :(

Kill the Tetsu, bring an assortment of bait to refresh the fish selection when there are none, wham.

upandaway

RIP the magala-man. I should've used a lance from the beginning! But really that was a ton of fun, he's so much better than Ceadeus that it goes without saying. The cutscene was nice too, man, this game's pretty great.

And apparently I'm still not high rank...? gosh.

edit: or am I? they're not very clear about this

I just chilled by the Steppe camp and caught everything for all the quests there. Pick a podcast and just hang out.

And yeah use bait to refresh the pod.

Wait, I can acquire things like that on Harvest Tours, then just hand them straight in for the quests? Boss, will do that then.

Did someone mention a few days ago that Steel Eggs are quite rare?

Ken

RIP the magala-man. I should've used a lance from the beginning! But really that was a ton of fun, he's so much better than Ceadeus that it goes without saying. The cutscene was nice too, man, this game's pretty great.

Just killed it too using a GS, defense kitchen buff, and no armor (I couldn't decide what to wear). Just kept strafing him and staying under his belly. I derped pretty hard with the first mount cause brainfart and pulled up instant guard instead of charge. I just went for sheath attacks and only charged on mounts and some of his moves with longer recoveries.

Cheated with a relic R9 great sword though cause I don't really play it regularly enough to have crafted GS! Not really sure why you're doing no palico run but it was fun!

Volcynika

Friend and I made it to HR5 last night, so we did the Pink Rathian quest twice. First one was manageable (even with a Deviljho showing up) but the second one we carted twice and the thing Just. Wouldn't. Die. Yeesh! But got that out of the way.

HR5 has Zingores available, so I can upgrade my Usurper's Fulgurs soon!

upandaway

Yeah I'm officially high rank, that means finally getting some nice armor finally. Now I need to decide what.

Just killed it too using a GS, defense kitchen buff, and no armor (I couldn't decide what to wear). Just kept strafing him and staying under his belly. I derped pretty hard with the first mount cause brainfart and pulled up instant guard instead of charge. I just went for sheath attacks and only charged on mounts and some of his moves with longer recoveries.

Cheated with a relic R9 great sword though cause I don't really play it regularly enough to have crafted GS! Not really sure why you're doing no palico run but it was fun!
Haha congrats, we buddies. I don't even remember what my time was, but I was using the first Rathalos lance.
Glass cannon runs are some of the most fun I have with MH. I did a few 1 defense runs in Tri/3U when I had endgame weapons, will definitely try to do some again eventually.

I'll start using cats for the harder quests from now on but generally I feel they make the monster AI a bit messier, it's a lot more fun when the monster is gunning for you non-stop. And I'll have plenty of multiplayer time for that stuff anyway.

And my soul rathalos set is now complete! Geez, took less time I was afraid it would. Thanks fro the gaffers that helped me (DeiMos, ZeroNova, Loony : the Azur Rathalos wrecking team).

Now it's time to move on to other HR6 quests. But meal first.

Ken

Yeah I'm officially high rank, that means finally getting some nice armor finally. Now I need to decide what.

Haha congrats, we buddies. I don't even remember what my time was, but I was using the first Rathalos lance.
Glass cannon runs are some of the most fun I have with MH. I did a few 1 defense runs in Tri/3U when I had endgame weapons, will definitely try to do some again eventually.

I'll start using cats for the harder quests from now on but generally I feel they make the monster AI a bit messier, it's a lot more fun when the monster is gunning for you non-stop. And I'll have plenty of multiplayer time for that stuff anyway.

Yeah I found there's a lot more predictability when you're the only target.

Oh yeah, apparently turning off cats on SMag gives way higher FPS than normal (or maybe it was only on that map). Was messing me up the first few seconds.

I might need my cats...
I went through the same ordeal last weekend with my GS. I had to resort to dinky hit and tuns and the occasional charge after mounts. I was able to manage OK early on when I had a rock to hide behind and catch my breath to use items, but once it smashed it, the fight became a lot tougher. Took me three times and some kitties to do it. At least now that I've done it, I can look up some videos and not feel like I'm cheezing it.

Pierate

When is it worth upgrading from tetsucabra armor? Just killed my first rathian but not really impressed with the stats on the armor, am I better off using the materials for weapons?

When is it worth upgrading from tetsucabra armor? Just killed my first rathian but not really impressed with the stats on the armor, am I better off using the materials for weapons?

Low-rank?

IMO you should keep it until High rank, upgrading it with armor spheres.
Then, starting HR you'll have to change.

tuffy

Eight "Terrible Tyrant" runs later and I finally got the Pulsating Blastheart I needed for the Furious Gravecannon. Even in semi-upgraded G rank gunner armor, high rank Molten Tigrex can still hit like a truck if you're not careful.

Getting the Tigrex Mantle for the next upgrade is sure to be just as big a chore. I presume the G rank Tigrexes in the 10 star Caravan quest have health balanced for 1 player (and lesser still since it's two monsters at once) so that might be an option, or I might just put up a room later if anyone else needs parts.

Volcynika

And my soul rathalos set is now complete! Geez, took less time I was afraid it would. Thanks fro the gaffers that helped me (DeiMos, ZeroNova, Loony : the Azur Rathalos wrecking team).

My next goal is that set when I unlock the Azure Rathalos fight.

Shengar

Congrats on Rath Soul set! That thing is enough to carry you through G2 with all of its all-purpose-ness.

Captured Gendrome (a few times for a sword) last night then killed Basarios and Nerscylla. Capturing Gendrome was easier than I expected, but Nerscylla was a bit of a hassle. I want to kill her a few more times, but the drop rate on sleep sac is kind of low and I think it might take a while. I didn't leave Harth yet so that'll be the first thing I do tonight.

JimPanzer

New Set with

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Challenger +2
Crit Status
Latent Power +1

I know Latent Power doesn't stack with Challenger, but I can get it for free and no other skills are in reach. Currently planning to use it with the Fatalis IG, but may be worth to try some CB's with status attacks.

Mupod

Eight "Terrible Tyrant" runs later and I finally got the Pulsating Blastheart I needed for the Furious Gravecannon. Even in semi-upgraded G rank gunner armor, high rank Molten Tigrex can still hit like a truck if you're not careful.

Getting the Tigrex Mantle for the next upgrade is sure to be just as big a chore. I presume the G rank Tigrexes in the 10 star Caravan quest have health balanced for 1 player (and lesser still since it's two monsters at once) so that might be an option, or I might just put up a room later if anyone else needs parts.

I think Tigrex might actually be the hardest monster for me with an HBG. Regular, not the subspecies - just because he has that turn and instant charge move. Brute and molten only do the rock throw when they quick turn and that's never even hit me before. It's also much faster than the others and doesn't tire out after 20 seconds like Brute. So I'll probably farm the subspecies instead of regular for the mantle I still need.

I'm working on the Gravecannon myself as an eventual upgrade to my Najarala gun. The normal 2 clip on Najarala is ENDLESS but it's actually overkill. I'll trade it for more power and crag shots. I fucking love crag shot.

Molten tiggy doesn't give me any problems but I can't fight the G version yet. I need high rank parts from him still despite having farmed him for Accolades before, feels like half the weapons in the damn game need parts from high rank molten tigrex. I did finally get a Blastheart last night though.

VandalD

Anyone want to help me do a few HR3's?

08-7532-2183-0672

Code:9999
Good hunts! Grats on HR4!

Something some people don't seem to be aware of, or at least don't take advantage of, is the fact that Rathalos and Rathian are very protective of their eggs. If you pick one up, they'll come back pretty quickly if they've flown off, negating the need to paint them and chase them around. It can be a pain to fight them in their nest if they make it tilt around though, so it's a bit of a tradeoff.

Good hunts! Grats on HR4!

Something some people don't seem to be aware of, or at least don't take advantage of, is the fact that Rathalos and Rathian are very protective of their eggs. If you pick one up, they'll come back pretty quickly if they've flown off, negating the need to paint them and chase them around. It can be a pain to fight them in their nest if they make it tilt around though, so it's a bit of a tradeoff.

Cheers dude!

Funny when I randomly laid that trap when I meant to chug a mega and we captured it anyway, lol.

I wondered why you didn't chase it out of the area and why it came straight back! Good tip.

So I'm high rank now online, when is it considered high rank offline? I'm only up to 5* offline.

Demoli

So, I'm at G bronze crown and I got a Full Regios G rank set with the following stats, using Charge Blade btw.

Steady Hand
Negate Bleed
Constitution +2
KO master
Sharpness +1

Whats a good upgrade path now? I kinda wanted Edge master, Challenger +2 and Razor Sharp, but the talisman it requires is crazy specific.

Any good sugestions?

Btw, what is best to Hone a CB into? Attack?

Parshias7

So I'm high rank now online, when is it considered high rank offline? I'm only up to 5* offline.

High Rank offline is the 7* quests. Although that's a weird way to put it, since you actually don't need to do any of the 6* quests to get to High Rank. The 6* Quests are for fun, and can ease you into High Rank, but you're already there Online. You do get those crazy technicolor armor tints for finishing the 6* quests, though.

Volcynika

High Rank offline is the 7* quests. Although that's a weird way to put it, since you actually don't need to do any of the 6* quests to get to High Rank. The 6* Quests are for fun, and can ease you into High Rank, but you're already there Online. You do get those crazy technicolor armor tints for finishing the 6* quests, though.

I've finished all the available 6* quests in single player, but the complete checkmark is a dfiferent color, so I'm wondering when more of them unlock. Don't have the award for completing them, so I know there are still some I need to find.

Shiina

So, I'm at G bronze crown and I got a Full Regios G rank set with the following stats, using Charge Blade btw.

Steady Hand
Negate Bleed
Constitution +2
KO master
Sharpness +1

Whats a good upgrade path now? I kinda wanted Edge master, Challenger +2 and Razor Sharp, but the talisman it requires is crazy specific.

Any good sugestions?

Btw, what is best to Hone a CB into? Attack?

Cookie cutter set of Seltas X / Furious Rajang / Rusted Kushala / Furious Rajang / Miralis (or Rathalos X until you unlock Miralis trades). Charm requirements are pretty low and if you find a half decent one you can easily get Artillery Novice or more on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom