• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezard

I've finished all the available 6* quests in single player, but the complete checkmark is a dfiferent color, so I'm wondering when more of them unlock. Don't have the award for completing them, so I know there are still some I need to find.
You need to be online hr7 for the last ones to unlock.

I've finished all the available 6* quests in single player, but the complete checkmark is a dfiferent color, so I'm wondering when more of them unlock. Don't have the award for completing them, so I know there are still some I need to find.

There are a tonnnn of 6* quests that gradually unlock as you complete more stuff in the game. I'm at 10* Caravan and HR7, and I'm still unlocking more 6* Caravan quests.

bobohoro

You get more 6* quests from advancing online, I think the last batch is given to you when you reach HR7.

Man, Gravios Medulla is a lot harder to get in High Rank than I thought it would be. Need it to continue my Rathling Gun line (which is a total BAMF line of Light Bowguns).

upandaway

Anyone knows where I can see all the skills that all the armor sets each offer? Google ain't helping.

edit: scratch that. god bless kiranico

tuffy

I think Tigrex might actually be the hardest monster for me with an HBG. Regular, not the subspecies - just because he has that turn and instant charge move. Brute and molten only do the rock throw when they quick turn and that's never even hit me before. It's also much faster than the others and doesn't tire out after 20 seconds like Brute. So I'll probably farm the subspecies instead of regular for the mantle I still need.
Most of Molten's stuff like his roar weapon, rock throw and spin aren't a problem, but his lingering blast clouds can be a pain and he's wide enough that it's not always easy to roll away from his enraged charges. He does tire out really fast though which makes it easy to get in lots of head shots. The problem is I was hitting him so hard he'd be capturable before I'd get in the head break sometimes, but I just wanted to get the hunts over with fast.

I might try farming this quest for the lone mantle I need before trying it online. If I break heads and capture both for the fangs, the odds of a mantle aren't half bad. It'll be good practice at the very least.

Most of Molten's stuff like his roar weapon, rock throw and spin aren't a problem, but his lingering blast clouds can be a pain and he's wide enough that it's not always easy to roll away from his enraged charges. He does tire out really fast though which makes it easy to get in lots of head shots. The problem is I was hitting him so hard he'd be capturable before I'd get in the head break sometimes, but I just wanted to get the hunts over with fast.

I might try farming this quest for the lone mantle I need before trying it online. If I break heads and capture both for the fangs, the odds of a mantle aren't half bad. It'll be good practice at the very least.

That's definitely the easiest G-rank option if you're looking for mantles, just keep in mind that both tigrex in the quest are frenzied. :p

taybul

Fought my first Seregios last night. By some dumb luck I was able to kill him solo for the urgent without carting once but then on subsequent attempts could barely hit him as I kept getting spammed with bleed, that is until I read that you could roll away before it applies. Took about 2 quest failures until I started getting used to him and then it was maybe one cart per attempt but man he can combo you down pretty fast.

I'm currently farming for his CB. Is it worth it? It doesn't have an element, but has affinity, white sharpness, and the evade sharpening feature.

bobohoro

I'm currently farming for his CB. Is it worth it? It doesn't have an element, but has affinity, white sharpness, and the evade sharpening feature.

I'd say it's one of the weaker Serge weapons, since the attack-to-evade ratio, coupled with the guarding, makes it lose sharpness faster than can be reasonable recovered with rolling. As a CB it's nice to have, later on getting purple sharpness without handicraft and doing decent raw damage.

Not a must-have, but if you have the mats and money and like the way it looks, go for it.

J0dy77

Finally finished up Ocarina of time and I'm ready to start digging into MH4.

Any beginner guides or things I should be aware of as a new player. Looking forward to playing with some gaffers.

Shiina

Fought my first Seregios last night. By some dumb luck I was able to kill him solo for the urgent without carting once but then on subsequent attempts could barely hit him as I kept getting spammed with bleed, that is until I read that you could roll away before it applies. Took about 2 quest failures until I started getting used to him and then it was maybe one cart per attempt but man he can combo you down pretty fast.

Not worth it at all since you aren't really supposed to evade that often with CB. The only melee weapons the gimmick makes sense with are GS, Hammer, HH and GL.

Mupod

That's definitely the easiest G-rank option if you're looking for mantles, just keep in mind that both tigrex in the quest are frenzied. :p

that's even better. I don't really have problems with frenzied monsters anymore, and they die a lot faster thanks to Wystones. And I finished upgrading the Wyceum last night so I can bring two now.

Is it available for a G2? I noticed I have a few more G caravan quests that popped up, so I probably need to clear those out.

VandalD

On top of the evade/sharpness reasons people have already said, the lack of an element or status doesn't help. CBs feel great at applying status and racking up elemental damage thanks to the shield bash and guard point explosions while your shield's buffed.

Any beginner guides or things I should be aware of as a new player. Looking forward to playing with some gaffers.
How new? New to MH4 or new to Monster Hunter? If new to Monster Hunter, I thought ProJared's beginner's guides were really informative.

Not worth it at all since you aren't really supposed to evade that often with CB. The only melee weapons the gimmick makes sense with are GS, Hammer, HH and GL.

It's really not that great with Light Bowgun either. It Rapid Fires Normal 2 & Slicing shots, but you only get 2 per clip. Granted, rolling reloads one, but a roll takes about as much time as a reload, and it usually moves you out of position for critical range.

Yeah I just picked the game up and started it last night. This is my first MH game (aside from dicking around in Tri on a friend's wii for 10 minutes) so I did some reading on GaijinHunter today and started to realize just how deep the rabbit hole goes...what did I get myself into? :O

Mupod

Well, don't hesitate to ask in here.

Gaijin Hunter's basic weapon guides are good. I've got hundreds of hours in the series and I use them myself, for the new weapons and new moves in MH4.

I recommend doing the 1-star training quests with every weapon that looks interesting to you. Also remember that not all those quests to fight little shit monsters/deliver eggs/fish are required to progress, and the game stops throwing those at you pretty quick.

Shengar

You forgot switch axe. Seregios SA is amazing since you pretty much rolling around to get across while in sword mode.

Leezard

It's really not that great with Light Bowgun either. It Rapid Fires Normal 2 & Slicing shots, but you only get 2 per clip. Granted, rolling reloads one, but a roll takes about as much time as a reload, and it usually moves you out of position for critical range.
Sidestep is much more efficient than a full dodge for lbg. You can chain up to two sidesteps after each shot, which is fast.

I don't know if it's worth using despite that, though. Gaijinhunter seems to like it, but I prefer regular lbgs right now.

Sidestep is much more efficient than a full dodge for lbg. You can chain up to two sidesteps after each shot, which is fast.

I don't know if it's worth using despite that, though. Gaijinhunter seems to like it, but I prefer regular lbgs right now.

Yeah, that works, but again the problem is the 2 round ammo clip. Even if you're sidestepping, you're then targetting something totally different. Say you're going for a Head after the monster fell over. You get your two rounds off, then you either have to reload (takes time) or sidestep (have to re-aim). Same goes with using Slicing to get tails. One sidestep and you're not hitting the tail anymore.
It'd just be better to get a different LBG with a larger ammo clip - by the time you can get the Seregios stuff, you can get something that rapid fires Normal 2s with a 7-round clip. Now, if the Seregios LBG had a great amount of damage, that'd be a whole different story, but it's very average in the damage department.

ilium

Yeah, that works, but again the problem is the 2 round ammo clip. Even if you're sidestepping, you're then targetting something totally different. Say you're going for a Head after the monster fell over. You get your two rounds off, then you either have to reload (takes time) or sidestep (have to re-aim). Same goes with using Slicing to get tails. One sidestep and you're not hitting the tail anymore.
It'd just be better to get a different LBG with a larger ammo clip - by the time you can get the Seregios stuff, you can get something that rapid fires Normal 2s with a 7-round clip. Now, if the Seregios LBG had a great amount of damage, that'd be a whole different story, but it's very average in the damage department.

i'm not using LBG but i've seen people sidestep left and then sidestep right again (or vice versa) to circumvent the target issue.

Leezard

The typical way to play when you want to target something like a fallen monster is that you side-step back and forth to return to your original position, for example left and then right.

The clip has 3 shots by the way, not that it is a huge difference.

I agree that I'd rather use something with a large clip in most situations, or rather, some elemental lbg.

Shengar

Mmm not sure if you roll quite as much as is required to keep the sharpness up. 5 rolls per 5 hits is a ton of rolling.
Unless the monster is stunlocked, my sharpness never dropped below white. This is assuming you got Steady Hand or Razor Sharp or otherwise like you said it wouldn't be enough.

la_briola

That's a nice table, thanks for sharing.
I'm not sure whether or not Challenger+2 gives XL tho, sounds like overkill.

E: Japanese bible in fact says it's +25 and RA+2. holy crap

btw, what's the status on translating GANSIMU? I saw a tweet some time ago.

The typical way to play when you want to target something like a fallen monster is that you side-step back and forth to return to your original position, for example left and then right.

The clip has 3 shots by the way, not that it is a huge difference.

I agree that I'd rather use something with a large clip in most situations, or rather, some elemental lbg.

Looks like it has 3 rounds at its 3rd & 4th tier, but that's 9 & 10 rarity. I'm... not close to that lol. It still only has 2 rounds at first and second tier.

Mupod

I really need to start working on a blademaster set.

I already have most of narga X on gunner but...well, I want to pick hunting horn back up and try evade lancing. So I could farm that again, I already have one skymerald lying around.

Problem with hunting horn is the one I want is on rajang and fatalis. For evade lance I'm thinking seregios would work well. I also don't have anything remotely resembling a good handicraft charm.

Not supposed to evade with CB? I have evasion plus 3 and make pretty good use of it. I don't like using the shield to block (even when charged), GP are great but can't be used all the time (not by me at least). That said I didn't find the Seregios CB kept its sharpness when I used it, so probably not worth going out of the way for.

Also, you look like a fool rolling around on the floor before chasing a monster to the next area, just to save on whetstones. I have noticed this a bit online.

This Savage Jho expedition is such BS. And the funny thing is i'm not really having problems with Jho, it's the damn map I was given. 2 zones, Palico area then done. And the 2nd monster is a stupid Ash Ketchem that won't zone out so i'm stuck waiting for Jho to move but that speeds up the fleeing timer. Should I just wait till I get a better map to fight him in?

This Savage Jho expedition is such BS. And the funny thing is i'm not really having problems with Jho, it's the damn map I was given. 2 zones, Palico area then done. And the 2nd monster is a stupid Ash Ketchem that won't zone out so i'm stuck waiting for Jho to move but that speeds up the fleeing timer. Should I just wait till I get a better map to fight him in?

I've never been to the point in a MH game where I've had to fight a Savage Jho, and I'm right about to be there in this one. What kind of awesome am I in for?

ilium

Was finally able to max upgrade my Seregios and Akantor Bow after just two Akantor fights. I also got a spare Conquest Sphere.

Not sure on what to work next haha...

Maybe the Selene set for water damage against gravios.

tuffy

I've never been to the point in a MH game where I've had to fight a Savage Jho, and I'm right about to be there in this one. What kind of awesome am I in for?
In my experience, Savage Jho's breath attack covers a wider area, the boulders he throws are larger and he hits harder, but he's also weaker to thunder. His moves are pretty much the same as regular Jho, though.

thefil

Started learning to guard lance over the weekend and made a Paragyred Spear. The paralyze seems great for multiplayer. Does anyone have lance recommendations for solo hunts? I feel like just going for raw like my GS would be boring when I have so many small, quick attacks.

Ok guys,

So I've just started G rank, done some quests but I've been a bit aimless. Anyone got any good suggestions what armor I should start shooting for for low g rank stuff? Switch Axe user here, although I sometimes dabble in charge blade also.

Ok guys,

So I've just started G rank, done some quests but I've been a bit aimless. Anyone got any good suggestions what armor I should start shooting for for low g rank stuff? Switch Axe user here, although I sometimes dabble in charge blade also.

Guild Quest Armor is how I started High Rank and How I plan to tackle G Rank

Velocidrome is piss easy at any difficulty and gives decent skills. So does Kut Ku and Garuga (though the increase in difficulty)

ys45

So I was playing online yesterday with some people I did not know, we were doing great on the HR 5 Gore Magala quest then they all got disconnected from the game and I was alone with the Magala -_-

BUT I won ! and I finally got a plate and a Magala Gem (don't remember the exact name)

mr.rager

Ok guys,

I used Tetsucabra S upgraded with armor spheres until I unlocked Seregios X then used that until I farmed current set.

Love my current set

HG Earplugs
Tremor Res
Mind's Eye
Sharpness +1
Evade Extender

So good for hammer. I'm hoping they release a G rank Savage Jho soon instead of trying to farm expedition Savage Jho so I can get his final hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom