• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guild Quest Armor is how I started High Rank and How I plan to tackle G Rank

Velocidrome is piss easy at any difficulty and gives decent skills. So does Kut Ku and Garuga (though the increase in difficulty)

definitely not a bad idea at all. I'm currently rocking the Bnahabra set which has some cool skills and well, it looks ridiculous, which means I love it. I just figured I could probably do better.

Part of me is still in love with the look of nerscylla armor though, I went through all of High rank in a nerscylla set.

Shiina

Not supposed to evade with CB? I have evasion plus 3 and make pretty good use of it. I don't like using the shield to block (even when charged), GP are great but can't be used all the time (not by me at least). That said I didn't find the Seregios CB kept its sharpness when I used it, so probably not worth going out of the way for.

Also, you look like a fool rolling around on the floor before chasing a monster to the next area, just to save on whetstones. I have noticed this a bit online.

I said that often which is the same thing you experienced.

Parshias7

Started learning to guard lance over the weekend and made a Paragyred Spear. The paralyze seems great for multiplayer. Does anyone have lance recommendations for solo hunts? I feel like just going for raw like my GS would be boring when I have so many small, quick attacks.

Lance hits often enough that its worth using elemental lances. So just look through the list and pick a fire lance, a water lance, an ice lance, etc. I admit I've gotten lazy in my lance collection and have been using that paralysis lance from LR all the way up to G Crown, since that status is so strong.

thefil

Another question about guard lancing. It feels like the downtime to switch between attack/guard is super high compared to the downtime to dodge. Is there some trick I'm missing? Right now, my best bet seems to be attack->backstep->guard to go defensive and guard->shield advance->bash->attack to go offensive.

Shiina

Another question about guard lancing. It feels like the downtime to switch between attack/guard is super high compared to the downtime to dodge. Is there some trick I'm missing? Right now, my best bet seems to be attack->backstep->guard to go defensive and guard->shield advance->bash->attack to go offensive.

Well, no. That's the reason why evade lancing is considered superior to guard lancing.

*You're more mobile and have less down time

upandaway

Use the counter more if you want smooth transitions between guard and attack (both ways). You don't really need to use a block for longer than what a counter gives you, anyway.

Personally speaking at least, haven't watched high level Lance runs in years. For me it's counters, counters everywhere.

Xater

Does anyone want to join me? I am looking to raise my HR from level 1. Should go kinda quick with me having played through half the SP already.

69-7331-6761-8064

VandalD

I'm sure there are a number of people here that don't use them at all for various reasons, but for those of you that use Palicoes, what's your favorite setup? I like to go 3 thieves and 2 heals with one of the thieves deployed. They can very occasionally get extra materials from monsters, and I just like seeing them chuck boomerangs at things. I've even had them finish off cutting a tail for me and knock ian/los out of the air.

ilium

I'm sure there are a number of people here that don't use them at all for various reasons, but for those of you that use Palicoes, what's your favorite setup? I like to go 3 thieves and 2 heals with one of the thieves deployed. They can very occasionally get extra materials from monsters, and I just like seeing them chuck boomerangs at things. I've even had them finish off cutting a tail for me and knock ian/los out of the air.

Gunner: Full Bombing
Melee: Full Healing

I tried thiefs, but they hardly ever steal something and their steal attack misses way too often for my taste.

Mupod

5 bomb cats as a solo gunner when I'm 'serious'. It's pretty crazy how much damage they do, feels like they're constantly toting around a LBB+. Which you can shoot to detonate at the right times. Good for breaking tough parts too.

Online I use a 3 support/2 heals setup. I'm actually pretty lazy and just leave that in most of the time. I wasn't impressed by stealing cats at all and that was how I set up my shakas in 3U - I'd rather get more part breaks from bomb cats for more loot. That said NEVER use those as melee unless you like flying around.

tuffy

I'm sure there are a number of people here that don't use them at all for various reasons, but for those of you that use Palicoes, what's your favorite setup?
Though I haven't put much work into them, I've just been using healing. They'll often kick in and give me an antidote before I have time to chug one, and one of their songs to max out my stamina bar means I'm still on my first set of well-done steaks I got from the DLC. As long as they're on the field attracting the monster's attention so I can shoot it, that's been enough for me.

I really should try to see if I can upgrade their gear to keep them around for longer stretches at a time, though.

Mupod

I'm not sure offhand but I think there's a reason I went 3 support/2 healing. I get shock traps and poison cures.

Is there g-rank cat armor/weaponry? I dress mine up for looks and I'm never taking the Wroggi hat off. Never ever.

In my experience, Savage Jho's breath attack covers a wider area, the boulders he throws are larger and he hits harder, but he's also weaker to thunder. His moves are pretty much the same as regular Jho, though.

Good to know. I already fought regular Jho, and to be honest, it was way easier than I remember it being in MH3U. I brought a bunch of bad meat for him to eat, and his tells for his attacks seemed a lot more obvious than I remember.

I'm all about the Treasure Palicos. I've gotten some valuable Ores and stuff when I really needed them. They're GREAT to bring along in Expeditions as well.
I'm up to 3 Treasure Palicos now, one that I keep with me and the other two as 1st stringers. My other first stringers are Healing.

Dreavus

I am trying 5 aggressive ones, but it doesn't seem all that great. The attack up is nice but the piercing boomerang and "boosted felyne fury" don't seem like they do a whole lot (especially since having 5 fighting means they BOTH have the damage boost horn, and I'm pretty sure they don't stack).

I need to recruit more Stamina cats to see if those skills are any good on the Ace.

Good to know. I already fought regular Jho, and to be honest, it was way easier than I remember it being in MH3U. I brought a bunch of bad meat for him to eat, and his tells for his attacks seemed a lot more obvious than I remember.

I'm all about the Treasure Palicos. I've gotten some valuable Ores and stuff when I really needed them. They're GREAT to bring along in Expeditions as well.
I'm up to 3 Treasure Palicos now, one that I keep with me and the other two as 1st stringers. My other first stringers are Healing.

It was my first time fighting Deviljho last night, but it seems his tail swing seems to happen a lot. My friends and I chopped the tail off, but damn does he still hit hard.

tuffy

I thought the same thing, to be honest, and I didn't even use any meat baits at all. I just kept shooting pierce shot down his face and avoiding his attacks (with their super-obvious tells) and he went down much faster than I was expecting. I wound up going through the whole hunt without being hit once.

Beats

Bad luck again. Can't get these last two Daora Hardhorns for the final upgrade on my ice SnS. :\

I have ten Daora Gems just sitting around now too lol.

Mupod

I just dismissed a palico for the first time. That was the saddest thing I ever watched. Felt so bad pressing that final yes button.

I learned that lesson the hard way in MHFU. Those goddamn bastards.

I think there's a way to do it without having to see the cutscene, though.

Wanderer5

The farm for Brachydios S has begun. Looking forward to having this done heh. Might go for the X one too if I get into G rank heh (he a G2 isn't he?).

Oh goodie, gotta farm up some gold rathian parts again. Not sure if I really want to deal with that right now with randoms before having a lunch.

burgerdog

Kind of sucks how you can't post a monster name when creating a room if you haven't killed it. I need to do Rusted Kushala later tonight but how do I get people to join it? I'm sure a bunch will leave after they see it's rusted and not the regular version.

Kind of sucks how you can't post a monster name when creating a room if you haven't killed it. I need to do Rusted Kushala later tonight but how do I get people to join it? I'm sure a bunch will leave after they see it's rusted and not the regular version.

I don't think you have to kill it to be able to post it as a target. Joined a random room doing Shah Dalamadur, quest failed, and I was able to make it a target when making a Gathering Hall.

Mupod

I've killed Diablos and I still can't search for Diablos. It's nonsense.

Also finding a room for the Wyceum G rank upgrade quests as a G2 was a pain in the ass. At least the people in the rooms I found were competent. It's those guys with no wystones at all you gotta watch out for.

Legit shook after some intense back-to-back quests. Fought Gold Rathian, Molten Tigrex, and Savage Deviljho right after another. Hands are still shaking and the back of my 3DS is smudged to all heck due to intense gripping. This is what I play MonHun for.

jorgejjvr

Legit shook after some intense back-to-back quests. Fought Gold Rathian, Molten Tigrex, and Savage Deviljho right after another. Hands are still shaking and the back of my 3DS is smudged to all heck due to intense gripping. This is what I play MonHun for.

Which did you find most troublesome? What did you like and dislike about each? I'm curious :p

-Alternis

Which did you find most troublesome? What did you like and dislike about each? I'm curious :p

-Alternis

Gold Rathian doesn't stay put enough for me to wail on her and the poison tail is always a pain. I failed to her initially but then just went fuck it, grab a great sword and go for her tail first. Killed her pretty quickly after that.

Molten Tigrex is pretty easy but if you don't have mind's eye or other bounce proof skills then you'll gonna have a bad time. Managed to kill him in my first shot after getting carted twice.

Savage Deviljho also has a problem staying put like Rathian but like the Tigrex I managed to kill him in my first shot after getting carted twice.

I don't want to fight these fuckers alone for a long time but it was an enjoyable experience.

Ken

I don't think you have to kill it to be able to post it as a target. Joined a random room doing Shah Dalamadur, quest failed, and I was able to make it a target when making a Gathering Hall.

Rusted Kushala is different because the quest itself doesn't call it Rusted Kushala. It's the same for Raging Brachydios: the quest just says "Slay a Brachydios."

Shah Dalamadur is actually referred to as that in the quest objective.

Your best hope is to make the room and post the quest. People looking for Rusted should know the specific quest name too which they can see from the room finder.

bobohoro

The feeling when a flying Seregios is right above you, near a ledge and a wall, the camera goes crazy and you get comboed to death without even seeing what hits you from where. Crazy.

Oh well, finally got Regios X together, all those slots make me go crazy. Crafted a dozen decorations, can fit AtkXL, Sharpness +1 and a whole lot of other stuff in there. Not all together, mind you.

Meffer

Anybody else taking awhile to get to the DLC section? My internet is fine but it stays on "Connecting to Internet" prompt then shows an error 090-2416.

Just got a Destroyer + 5/Handicraft + 7 and two slots charm using GaijinHunter's Rathalos Subquest method. Feel pretty good. Honestly the first good charm I think I've ever gotten from regular mining runs since I started playing MH in Tri. And I pretty much just did it on a whim without any gathering armor skills.

I was having a real shitty day, too. Funny how ridiculously small things like getting a good drop in a game can make you feel alot better pretty quickly.

bobohoro

Just got a Destroyer + 5/Handicraft + 7 and two slots charm using GaijinHunter's Rathalos Subquest method. Feel pretty good. Honestly the first good charm I think I've ever gotten from regular mining runs since I started playing MH in Tri. And I pretty much just did it on a whim without any gathering armor skills.

I was having a real shitty day, too. Funny how ridiculously small things like getting a good drop in a game can make you feel alot better pretty quickly.

That is one sweet talisman.

And here I am, already more than happy with my two-slotted handicraft +3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom