• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

Generally, when I (and many others I've seen) get what I need from a hall, I stick around and do 2-3 more hunts to help the people who still need stuff. I also always thank people for the hunts.

Am I overly anal about etiquette?
When I'd host a farming room, I'd stay around quite a bit longer also - especially when a team's on a roll. If other folks get what they need and leave to make room for others, that's okay by me too (and a "thank you" message is always welcome). But posting something completely unrelated in a farming room is a no-no.

It's abandoning an Urgents room before everyone's had their go that really irks my sense of etiquette.

taybul

I've generally had good experiences with randoms online, but last night was dumb. I put up a hall for Gravios. People would come in, do one or two hunts, get what they need and then just leave without saying anything. Also, people coming in and posting non-Gravios quests when everyone else in the hall was there for Gravios.

Generally, when I (and many others I've seen) get what I need from a hall, I stick around and do 2-3 more hunts to help the people who still need stuff. I also always thank people for the hunts.

I'd say that's on par with what etiquette should be. Every night there's always that one person who fills out the last slot and immediately posts his urgent. Even last night there was one person who kept posting on consecutive hunts who was clearly getting his keys out of the way and when he goes to post his urgent I finally had to step in and say to let others post.

R0ckman

I'd say that's on par with what etiquette should be. Every night there's always that one person who fills out the last slot and immediately posts his urgent. Even last night there was one person who kept posting on consecutive hunts who was clearly getting his keys out of the way and when he goes to post his urgent I finally had to step in and say to let others post.

Wouldn't it have been easier for him to just jump from room to room for the keys than to force a farming room to do his keys?

So as a Charge Blade user, thus far I've created:

Guardsqual
Dear Lutena
and just now Elendskraft

Other than trying to upgrade these, what should I be aiming for next in terms of CBs?

I just got to Caravan 5 quests after beating Gore and farming him for the Elendskraft.

Edit: Also, side question - when you see in quests or those map research things that they suggest certain weapons/armor, how does that work? Are you forced to only use that stuff? Do you just get something better for using it? Is it random? I want to farm Velocidrome and make the armor, but the only quest I have is something that says I need to use dual blades or something to that effect...

I started getting into IG the past few days and man is it fun. I think there is nothing better to train on then Seregios for learning a new weapon. I do have a question about the weapon though for those that have been using it as a main since the start, is it better to worry about elemental or just bring the highest damage you have if you can't get the element? Like say how Pink Ian is weak to Dragon and Thunder but my strongest IG is the Tidal Najarala IG (Water), do I bring that or do I bring my lower damage (and shaprness) Kirin IG because it has Thunder?

Mupod

So is the mutiplayer just like the singleplayer ? Do I have to do every quest again ?

Same but different. Your character is the same, but it's got a whole new set of quests. Similar to the the caravan stuff you don't need to do all of it, just the key quests and urgents. But there's some other stuff like food upgrade quests you'll definitely want to get done while you're there, for example.

Monsters have more HP and are a bit harder to stagger with damage, as it's balanced for multiplayer. If you're going into the gathering hall 1* quests with strong weapons and armor they will still seem easy and go by quickly. They ramp up a bit faster than the caravan quests and you fight more advanced monsters earlier on.

taybul

Guardsqual
Dear Lutena
and just now Elendskraft

Other than trying to upgrade these, what should I be aiming for next in terms of CBs?

I just got to Caravan 5 quests after beating Gore and farming him for the Elendskraft.

Edit: Also, side question - when you see in quests or those map research things that they suggest certain weapons/armor, how does that work? Are you forced to only use that stuff? Do you just get something better for using it? Is it random? I want to farm Velocidrome and make the armor, but the only quest I have is something that says I need to use dual blades or something to that effect...
Probably Full Blackguard. Easy to make (just need access to HR volcano), def+, impact, has a bit of blue sharpness.

Same but different. Your character is the same, but it's got a whole new set of quests. Similar to the the caravan stuff you don't need to do all of it, just the key quests and urgents. But there's some other stuff like food upgrade quests you'll definitely want to get done while you're there, for example.

Monsters have more HP and are a bit harder to stagger with damage, as it's balanced for multiplayer. If you're going into the gathering hall 1* quests with strong weapons and armor they will still seem easy and go by quickly. They ramp up a bit faster than the caravan quests and you fight more advanced monsters earlier on.
alright, thanks !

ilium

The bias means that you get those weapons from mining nodes. You can use Whatever weapon you want.

tuffy

Thank you Beats, I miss you on SmashGAF! <3

I'm using the Rathian gun, Queen's Farflier, and it's working really well for me because of the large normal clips. Should I go farming Azure Rathalos then? :O
It's one option, though Rath Soul's natural Health -12 will be even harder to get rid of if you want to bring in Evade Extender (and what HBG user doesn't want Evade Extender?) unless you've got a really good charm. But there aren't a lot of great high rank gunner sets in general, so it's hard to recommend much better.

Xater

I've generally had good experiences with randoms online, but last night was dumb. I put up a hall for Gravios. People would come in, do one or two hunts, get what they need and then just leave without saying anything. Also, people coming in and posting non-Gravios quests when everyone else in the hall was there for Gravios.

I'm with you. I just had a Rathian room open and some dude came in to do his urgent. Big no-no.

That being said does anyone want to help me getting those plates? I hate getting them. :(

Is anyone up for lending a hand with the dalamadur urgent? Happy to reciprocate or help out with other quests in return.

Have had a hell of a time finding randoms to do this with, and I can't seem to do enough damage to solo it with HBG...I just run out of time / ammo, despite bringing materials for normal 2 and 3 and a monodevilcaster+.

Gathering hall id: 69-2907-8632-0943, no password

Edit: Dalamadur down! Not sure who was who that came, but thank you very much for coming!

Airan

Guardsqual
Dear Lutena
and just now Elendskraft

Arachnoscale. It has White sharpness whereas other CBs around that rarity level only have blue. It served me well until I hit G-rank and decided to branch out into the end-game elemental CBs. I've since turned the Arachnoscale into Schwarschlum (the sleep variant) and turned Dear Lutena from the fire CB into a poison CB (it's the better poison CB imo) to replace the Arach for those Kushala Daora hunts.

If you've spare mats and money, the Nerscylla armor set is fantastic for capping. Cap Guru & Trap Master. Critical Eye+2 and Negate Poison with 1 gem are just icing on the cake. Only downside is immense fire vulnerability but you can eat for Felyne Firestarter to negate that.

Mupod

I'm gonna repost this in case someone can answer me now that America is awake. :3

I highly recommend Evade Extender on HBG. I was able to use it with Rath Soul because I found a nice charm, but it's tough in high rank. I used that set all the way to G rank though.

Evade Extender is important not only to keep you out of harm's way, but to keep you in the proper range. For normal 2/3 that generally means as close as you can safely get, but pierce shots need a little distance from the monster and it can be tough to get the right positioning without evade extender.

Rath Soul comes with Normal Up which works great for the Rathian gun. Critical eye and earplugs are good for almost everybody. The Najarala gun is even better at firing Normal ammo and truly shines once you can take the limiter off (when upgraded to Rare 6).

For pierce gunning, Dahren Mohran's set (specifically the alternate one based on Jhen armor) is great. Pierce up and recoil down work perfectly with the Kushala Daora HBG. That's a bit further into high rank and it's up to you if you want to farm that stuff before moving on. Earlier on Yian Garuga's set is almost exactly like Rath Soul just with Pierce Up instead, and the Nerscylla HBG is okay at firing pierce. Garuga is a real fucker to gun if you don't have evade extender though.

It's one option, though Rath Soul's natural Health -12 will be even harder to get rid of if you want to bring in Evade Extender (and what HBG user doesn't want Evade Extender?) unless you've got a really good charm. But there aren't a lot of great high rank gunner sets in general, so it's hard to recommend much better.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I actually had some issues there, thankfully the Najarala gun has lots of slots.

For a while I had to deal with the negative health - I just brought Mega Nutrients along on quests, lol.

Getting that fucking Luckyear from KutKu has been the worst grind so far. I am at 1 with 20 kills and all i need is fucking 2.

Having a single 30% chance drop is so much worse than the 10-12 or so 3% chances for actual rare stuff sometimes. Especially when all the junk parts you are collecting are worth 1/5 of what the actual tough monster parts are worth.

Pila

Anyone wanna play? I'm HR5, anything low/high rank is fine.

34-7506-5932-8589
Password 8787

Room just closed, thanks for hunting folks. =)

Beats

Thank you Beats, I miss you on SmashGAF! <3

I'm using the Rathian gun, Queen's Farflier, and it's working really well for me because of the large normal clips. Should I go farming Azure Rathalos then? :O

Yeah, I would go for the Rath Soul set then. If you like large normal clips you may want to consider the Bite Blaster line (Najarala) too. It has Above Average reload speed and only Some recoil. It's also good for some support since it lets you shoot paralysis shots. If you're HR6 or have access to High Rank S. Zinogre you can upgrade it to the Biting Blast gun which is Rarity 6 and that gives you the option to remove the Limiter for a power boost at the cost of losing siege mode.

I highly recommend Evade Extender on HBG. I was able to use it with Rath Soul because I found a nice charm, but it's tough in high rank. I used that set all the way to G rank though.

Evade Extender is important not only to keep you out of harm's way, but to keep you in the proper range. For normal 2/3 that generally means as close as you can safely get, but pierce shots need a little distance from the monster and it can be tough to get the right positioning without evade extender.

Rath Soul comes with Normal Up which works great for the Rathian gun. Critical eye and earplugs are good for almost everybody. The Najarala gun is even better at firing Normal ammo and truly shines once you can take the limiter off (when upgraded to Rare 6).

For pierce gunning, Dahren Mohran's set (specifically the alternate one based on Jhen armor) is great. Pierce up and recoil down work perfectly with the Kushala Daora HBG. That's a bit further into high rank and it's up to you if you want to farm that stuff before moving on. Earlier on Yian Garuga's set is almost exactly like Rath Soul just with Pierce Up instead, and the Nerscylla HBG is okay at firing pierce. Garuga is a real fucker to gun if you don't have evade extender though.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I actually had some issues there, thankfully the Najarala gun has lots of slots.

For a while I had to deal with the negative health - I just brought Mega Nutrients along on quests, lol.
I already have evade extender thanks to the lobster armor lol. Alright, I'll look into the Najarala gun as well. Thanks!

(If I were to gem out the Health -, would that leave me with too few slots for Evade extender?)
Yeah, I would go for the Rath Soul set then. If you like large normal clips you may want to consider the Bite Blaster line (Najarala) too. It has Above Average reload speed and only Some recoil. It's also good for some support since it lets you shoot paralysis shots. If you're HR6 or have access to High Rank S. Zinogre you can upgrade it to the Biting Blast gun which is Rarity 6 and that gives you the option to remove the Limiter for a power boost at the cost of losing siege mode.
Very interesting, thanks!

I'm gonna repost this in case someone can answer me now that America is awake. :3

I've been using Rath Soul ever since I could first get it (for Light Bowgun). It's really about as good as you can get in High Rank.... there's just not too much for gunners.
I used gems to get Health down to -8, and was able to get in Attack Up S or M (depending on gun). Again though, I'm a LBG user so I'm a bit more mobile than HBG and evade extender, while nice, isn't as crucial.

Leezard

Is there a cool down for mounting ?

Nope. Essentially, each air attack deals an amount of "mounting damage", which lets you mount the monster when you have dealt enough of that. Each successful mount means that you will have to do more mounting damage before you can mount again, i.e. the threshold for mounting is raised.

PrankT

Help me decide on one of the following for a general setup:

Divine blessing
Tremor resistance
Speed sharpening
Razor sharp

I have a maxed out hunting Horn with a small amount of natural purple, so that's the reason speed and razor are options. Between those two I'm thinking razor sharp so the purple lasts a bit longer during a fight and it's not to difficult to find a time to sharpen. I already made a set with tremor resistance for specific monsters and suppose I can just switch to it on case by case basis. I would like to triple stack Divine blessing with the skill, food, and honing. I know they each have their own percentage of success, but more blessing more better?

These would go along with evade 2, maestro, hg earplugs.

Nope. Essentially, each air attack deals an amount of "mounting damage", which lets you mount the monster when you have dealt enough of that. Each successful mount means that you will have to do more mounting damage before you can mount again, i.e. the threshold for mounting is raised.

That means I have to do more jump attacks for the next mounting. Thanks for the info.

Mupod

Help me decide on one of the following for a general setup:

Divine blessing
Tremor resistance
Speed sharpening
Razor sharp

I have a maxed out hunting Horn with a small amount of natural purple, so that's the reason speed and razor are options. Between those two I'm thinking razor sharp so the purple lasts a bit longer during a fight and it's not to difficult to find a time to sharpen. I already made a set with tremor resistance for specific monsters and suppose I can just switch to it on case by case basis. I would like to triple attack Divine blessing with the skill, food, and honing. I know they each have their own percentage of success, but more blessing more better?

These would go along with evade 2, maestro, hg earplugs.

I'd go with razor sharp and switch to quake res for Rajang.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I got my ful Nerscylla S set and and Boom Boost from skillgems.

I'm trapping and bombing the fuck out of monsters lol. Subquests? Trap and set that sweet L+ barrel bomb.

Mounting has a tolerence limit that goes up the more you reach the threshold. A lot of aspects in Monster Hunter works like this, like KOing a monster with a impact weapon, staggering it at select areas, inflicting it with a staus effect (sleep, poison, etc.), or getting it fatigued with exhaust inducing moves. All those things have that tolerance system.

Ok, MonHunGAF, question time again:

I'm getting bored of my Tetsu armor and so decided to go for the Gravios set (on account of already having most of the stuff for it) but I need 2 wings to complete it.

Whats the best way to go about getting Gravios wings? Kiranico says this:

Low Gravios Capture 1 12%
Low Gravios Break Back 1 30%
Low Gravios Break Wing 1 90%
High Gravios Capture 2 12%

Does that mean if I capture 1 I have a 12% change of getting a wing? Seems pretty low odds. Does this also mean that if I kill it I certainly won't be given a wing?

Can I also break the wing, and if I do that, will the wing 'drop off' and be a shiny pickup on the floor?

Thanks...

I'm getting bored of my Tetsu armor and so decided to go for the Gravios set (on account of already having most of the stuff for it) but I need 2 wings to complete it.

Does that mean if I capture 1 I have a 12% change of getting a wing? Seems pretty low odds. Does this also mean that if I kill it I certainly won't be given a wing?

Can I also break the wing, and if I do that, will the wing 'drop off' and be a shiny pickup on the floor?

Thanks...

Breaking a part basically gives you another chance to get the part you want. Breaking the wings will most likely get you a wing. Try that. Shiny drops are a whole different thing. They have they're own seperate precentages and most of the time they're wyvern/beast tears but rarely they are super rare parts like rubies or plates.

Seil

Thanks...

Break and capture rewards are given at the reward screen in the bottom part of the box. Breaking a part will roll a single drop. Capturing, without a skill that changes this rate, will give you 2 drops guaranteed and a 6X% chance of a third I believe. So, if you break the wings and back you have a 30% chance and a 90% chance in two different drops. If you cap it, you have 2.6-ish chances at 12%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom