• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

Unlocked a new set of quests in HR5, hollllllly crap. There's one with 3 monsters with one I don't even recognize. Had a Kirin and something else too. Yeesh.

Mupod

Managed to sneak in tons of charm farming despite it being a WoW raid night. I found a +5 pierce, +5 handicraft, 2 slot charm. 5 handicraft and 2 slots is arguably the best blademaster charm I've ever found since Tri, which is kind of sad. And the random gunner skill on it drives me nuts.

Still, farming using the felyne explorer -> mount rathalos and end via subquest method is actually pretty fun. And I've accidentally learned how to use IG in the process - I can get all 3 essences, mount Rathalos, and break his back pretty fast. I'm using the totally unupgraded Ash Kecha IG since it's the only one I could make at the time.

I'm going to be making a blademaster set soon and since I'm having fun with IG, I might look into those further. Once you upgrade the bug, it flies faster right? That would make things easier. I'm not sure what IG to work towards though. They seem elemental-dependent but I only want to make one.

Tom_Cody

Just faced Shagaru Magala for the first time before work this morning (yes, my progress has been slow). Carted once but overall it wasn't too bad. Farming Gore for his bow and armor paid off.

Question: I wasn't able to use traps or large bombs. Should I have known this going in? Are there specific mission classifications that prohibit traps and bombs?

Shengar

Managed to sneak in tons of charm farming despite it being a WoW raid night. I found a +5 pierce, +5 handicraft, 2 slot charm. 5 handicraft and 2 slots is arguably the best blademaster charm I've ever found since Tri, which is kind of sad. And the random gunner skill on it drives me nuts.

Still, farming using the felyne explorer -> mount rathalos and end via subquest method is actually pretty fun. And I've accidentally learned how to use IG in the process - I can get all 3 essences, mount Rathalos, and break his back pretty fast. I'm using the totally unupgraded Ash Kecha IG since it's the only one I could make at the time.

I'm going to be making a blademaster set soon and since I'm having fun with IG, I might look into those further. Once you upgrade the bug, it flies faster right? That would make things easier. I'm not sure what IG to work towards though. They seem elemental-dependent but I only want to make one.
Make this bug and you'll be fine.
But you'll get reliant on the effect extender so much that you don't want to use an IG without it.

Just faced Shagaru Magala for the first time before work this morning (yes, my progress has been slow). Carted once but overall it wasn't too bad. Farming Gore for his bow and armor paid off.

Question: I wasn't able to use traps or large bombs. Should I have known this going in? Are there specific mission classifications that prohibit traps and bombs?

Elder Dragons, and Shagaru Magala is one, cannot be trapped.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

The area you fight Shaggy in doesn't allow for trap placement. He doesn't get caught in traps anyway so the game saved yourself from wasting one

Tom_Cody

Elder Dragons, and Shagaru Magala is one, cannot be trapped.

The area you fight Shaggy in doesn't allow for trap placement. He doesn't get caught in traps anyway so the game saved yourself from wasting one
Thanks.

What about the bombs? Those seemed to be exxed out as well during the fight, though I might have just misunderstood something in the confusion of the action. Those would at least be useful if I can put him to sleep.

Mupod

Make this bug and you'll be fine.
But you'll get reliant on the effect extender so much that you don't want to use an IG without it.

yeah when I was first making an IG I had no idea about how the bug leveling worked. After spending a gorillion zenny and essences I just quit without saving and vowed not to touch that shit again until I read a guide. I've actually already stockpiled the essences I need in order to make the effect extender bug.

But like I said I only want to make one IG, so I only have to do that once. I just need to find the right one. Maybe something with Blast?

Xane

Thanks.

What about the bombs? Those seemed to be exxed out as well during the fight, though I might have just misunderstood something in the confusion of the action. Those would at least be useful if I can put him to sleep.

Yes, Bombs work on Elder Dragons. And you can make it fall asleep too.

Tom_Cody

Yes, Bombs work on Elder Dragons. And you can make it fall asleep too.
Cool. Time to equip my sleep coating skill items. I think I'll even bring parts so I can combine more sleeping coatings after the first batch so I can put him to sleep more than once.

I am going to bomb the crap out of that head.

jchap

Gotta love this:

zlCfzTHyb-cf7kip3C

Shengar

yeah when I was first making an IG I had no idea about how the bug leveling worked. After spending a gorillion zenny and essences I just quit without saving and vowed not to touch that shit again until I read a guide. I've actually already stockpiled the essences I need in order to make the effect extender bug.

But like I said I only want to make one IG, so I only have to do that once. I just need to find the right one. Maybe something with Blast?

Depends on your Blademaster set. Dalamadur IG the best though if you're looking for blast element. High damage, huge white sharpness, and 1 slot.

Shiina

Depends on your Blademaster set. Dalamadur IG the best though if you're looking for blast element. High damage, huge white sharpness, and 1 slot.

You can't even get the last upgrade for the Dalamadur glaive until they give us the G rank Dala (which will take months) so don't get that glaive. It's also hellishly expensive, has tiny purple sharpness and nobody wants to farm Dalamadur or Shah Dalamadur. The best blast glaive is Crimson Fatalis.

A lot of endgame monsters that you typically farm are actually resistant to blast. Perhaps consider Anubis instead because raw is effective against everything.

Mupod

Wha? At best i could get like 8 slots filled... How long is your run?

I only have +20 charmer and speed gather on my set - if I had gathering +20 I could easily imagine a haul like that. I've gotten similar amounts on rare occasions.

I just do the g-rank sovereign of the sky mission with felyne explorer. I grab everything in the secret area then mine all nodes in 3,5, and 6. I'm after Timeworns as much as Enduring and usually I get a lot of both. To end the quest I mount Rathalos and whack his back a few times when he's on the ground, once it's broken I end via subquest. Funny thing is I've also gotten two mantles and enough other stuff to almost make a whole Rathalos set like this.

ilium

grandchamlvzrl.jpg

Evasion +3
HG Earplugs
Status Atk +2
Windproof Hi
Status Crit

not bad actually...
will go nicely with my Paralyze coating boost bow i hope.

cupajoe

Neo Member
I need help GAF. I'm trying to do the mission to get the Link armor, but it's just a bit too big for my britches. Would some more experienced players join my room? The gathering hall ID is 60-2241-1031-7468. Anybody is welcome!

Killed a Great Jaggi, and another Seltas. Hunted the Seltas as I intended to make the Celestial Sword, but a few Jaggis and Gunpreys gave me the materials to make a Viper Bite, which has good sharpness, 140 Damage and 100 Elemental Damage (Thunder?)

Not sure how that works, can't imagine that its like the Souls games and literally translates to 240 damage, since that is far too big a jump from the other weapons available to me.

Wish the sword didn't clip through the shield. Speaking of which, think I'll have to change my style. I never block with the shield and dodge instead, so I'm basically wasting a lot of potential damage.

Gonna hunt another Seltas I think so I can make a piece of waist armour which would be a big upgrade on the piece I'm wearing now. Doubt I'll get around to making a full set for ages unfortunately.

Can't believe I've played 13 hours already. Feel like I haven't even scratched the surface.

Shat myself when the 3DS ran out of power while it was saving. Battery seems really inconsisent. Sometimes I can play for hours at a time, sometimes it'll run out of battery after 5 hours of sleep mode.

After two epic fail LBG runs against Rajang, I changed it up and used an ice Sword & Shield.
Took about 25 minutes, but I beat him and didn't even get carted! Woo!
His reverse jump outa nowhere can go suck an egg - that thing is BS. Jumps backwards and takes down 1/4 of my health.

azyless

Killed a Great Jaggi, and another Seltas. Hunted the Seltas as I intended to make the Celestial Sword, but a few Jaggis and Gunpreys gave me the materials to make a Viper Bite, which has good sharpness, 140 Damage and 100 Elemental Damage (Thunder?)

Not sure how that works, can't imagine that its like the Souls games and literally translates to 240 damage, since that is far too big a jump from the other weapons available to me.
I'd like to know that as well. What I gathered is that it does translate to 240 damage but the elemental damage is often greatly reduced (and the number on kiranico's damage chart would be a percentage I think). First Monter Hunter ever though so I'm not sure.
And Viper Bite is Para, not Thunder, the icon kinda confused me too.

Shiina

Wish the sword didn't clip through the shield. Speaking of which, think I'll have to change my style. I never block with the shield and dodge instead, so I'm basically wasting a lot of potential damage.

Gonna hunt another Seltas I think so I can make a piece of waist armour which would be a big upgrade on the piece I'm wearing now. Doubt I'll get around to making a full set for ages unfortunately.

Can't believe I've played 13 hours already. Feel like I haven't even scratched the surface.

Shat myself when the 3DS ran out of power while it was saving. Battery seems really inconsisent. Sometimes I can play for hours at a time, sometimes it'll run out of battery after 5 hours of sleep mode.

The short answer to elemental damage is that it's only worth using (unless the weapon has more raw than the alternatives to begin with because there is no negative damage or monster healing so to say) if the monster is weak to that element. If it isn't, use the weapon with more raw/better sharpness.

The long answer is here.

Finally made the Grand God armor set with the Demonlord GS! Took a while to get those darn horns, but it was all worth it since Rajang is one of my favorite monsters to hunt.

I'd rather have Focus than Punishing Draw, so it's time to go Charm farming! I ain't all about to mixed set life :p
Why didn't you make the Divine Ire one? That's my favourite set at the moment.

I can't believe all those clowns in the same mixed sets running around. Sure they have like one more skill but they look absolutely ridiculous and they cart all the same.

jchap

Wha? At best i could get like 8 slots filled... How long is your run?

Takes about 3 minutes

Edit: Just timed it... took a little more than 4 minutes. Also that was a particularly lucky run... Most only net 3-6 enduring and 5-10 timeworn. I also get a palico every run.

Edit2: This run had 5x "Enduring charm at maximum" :( :(

zlCfzTIImZolnOhX6_

Cheers :)

Thankfully the 140 raw damage is as much as I can get from any other S&S anyway, so the Paralysis will be a bonus.

Unfortunately I've lost my active skills as I've been moving on from the starting gear

How does the bar work when you mount a monster? I understand that you hammer X when the monster is stationary, and hold R when it's bucking, but I don't get what the icon and bar means. Wish there was a training tutorial for things like that

Volcynika

Thankfully the 140 raw damage is as much as I can get from any other S&S anyway, so the Paralysis will be a bonus.

Unfortunately I've lost my active skills as I've been moving on from the starting gear

How does the bar work when you mount a monster? I understand that you hammer X when the monster is stationary, and hold R when it's bucking, but I don't get what the icon and bar means. Wish there was a training tutorial for things like that

The Great Jaggi single player mission should've explained it, I think. If you fill up the bar, then you topple the monster, if the monster icon reaches the end of the bar before that, it knocks you off of it.

Mupod

That feeling when you join a quest with randoms and that one guy keeps blasting all the blademasters with pellets.

this has only happened to me on arena quests. I can sort of understand if they're outta ammo and don't know much about bowguns but jesus christ it's like shooting thousands of tiny longsword users at people.

Shiina

Oh status effects don't work like elemental damage.
Status effects apply 10% of your status value (so 10 in your case) every third hit (on average). Every monster has a set initial resistance to certain status effects and when that threshold is reached, it gets affected by that status. After that that threshold increases by a set value (up to a certain maximum) and you start again from 0.
What this generally means (and this goes for elemental damage as well) is that weapons that attack quickly (SnS, DB, IG (and CB for a different reason)) are much better than slower hitting ones to apply status effects.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
this has only happened to me on arena quests. I can sort of understand if they're outta ammo and don't know much about bowguns but jesus christ it's like shooting thousands of tiny longsword users at people.

I'd personally just rather have them use Normal 1 and let the blades actually be able to function and not be flinched and ran over constantly. Not like this guy was getting up close either, he was just spraying from a good distance away. More pellets probably hit us than the monster. ;_;

Oh status effects don't work like elemental damage.
Status effects apply 10% of your status value (so 10 in your case) every third hit (on average). Every monster has a set initial resistance to certain status effects and when that threshold is reached, it gets affected by that status. After that that threshold increases by a set value (up to a certain maximum) and you start again from 0.
What this generally means (and this goes for elemental damage as well) is that weapons that attack quickly (SnS, DB, IG (and CB for a different reason)) are much better than slower hitting ones to apply status effects.

Does that work with Light Bowgun's Rapid Fire as well? Say I have one that fires rapid fire's 3 sleep shots versus one that only shoots 1 sleep shot - are you just saving 3 shells then by using the rapid fire bowgun?

Beats

Yo guys, what's a recommended gunner armor for High rank? I'm using heavy bowgun btw.

I only started gunning late High Rank, but I'd go with either the Stygian Zinogre, or Rath Soul set. The Gravios set could be good too especially if you're using those higher level pierce shots and need some recoil reduction. But that depends on the default recoil on your gun. If you mainly use Normal shots the Rath Soul set is good since it has Normal Up and depending on your charm or the amount of weapon/charm slots you have you could put in Evasion+1 as well.

Which Heavy Bowgun do you mainly use at the moment?

tuffy

Does that work with Light Bowgun's Rapid Fire as well? Say I have one that fires rapid fire's 3 sleep shots versus one that only shoots 1 sleep shot - are you just saving 3 shells then by using the rapid fire bowgun?
Status shots are rapid-fired at full strength. That's why LBGs are so incredibly potent at delivering status effects quickly, though the usual monster tolerance rules still apply.

The Great Jaggi single player mission should've explained it, I think. If you fill up the bar, then you topple the monster, if the monster icon reaches the end of the bar before that, it knocks you off of it.

The thing that I haven't figured out after doing that mission is _how_ to mount it in the first place. I've run to higher ground and jumped down and ended up landing near it even when it looks like I should have landed _on_ it. What am I missing, is there a button press I need to time just right, or does it need to be facing a certain way? And what restrictions are there on this, or can you mount just about any large monster?

Volcynika

The thing that I haven't figured out after doing that mission is _how_ to mount it in the first place. I've run to higher ground and jumped down and ended up landing near it even when it looks like I should have landed _on_ it. What am I missing, is there a button press I need to time just right, or does it need to be facing a certain way? And what restrictions are there on this, or can you mount just about any large monster?

All I do is do a jumping attack from a higher plane and it usually works. Obviously there is a sort of cooldown where you can't mount the monster constantly if you succeed/fail on an attempt. I'm not sure about what monsters you can't mount excluding the large ones, like I couldn't figure out if I could mount a Kirin or not.

Mupod

Jump or roll off ledge, hit X on the way down to begin a jump attack. If you land a good clean hit on the monster's body it'll be knocked over and your character will automatically jump onto it.

Sometimes you're a little 'off' and you end up beside the monster. If you roll towards it while it's flailing around the mount sequence will initiate.

Some weapons have a harder time of this than others, greatsword for example has massive range and power on its jumping attack but the bowguns not so much. Low rank monsters should almost always fall over on the first attempt, later on mounting gets harder to pull off. They also get resistant to it after the first one.

Xater

I need Rathian, Rathalos and Gore Magala plate. Do I just kill them and hope for the best or is there soemething I need to break for a higher chance?

tuffy

I need Rathian, Rathalos and Gore Magala plate. Do I just kill them and hope for the best or is there soemething I need to break for a higher chance?
Break heads, carve tails (if applicable) and capture for the best odds of Rathian/Rathalos plates. For Gore Magala Plate, break heads, carve tails and check the shiny drops.

thefil

I've generally had good experiences with randoms online, but last night was dumb. I put up a hall for Gravios. People would come in, do one or two hunts, get what they need and then just leave without saying anything. Also, people coming in and posting non-Gravios quests when everyone else in the hall was there for Gravios.

Generally, when I (and many others I've seen) get what I need from a hall, I stick around and do 2-3 more hunts to help the people who still need stuff. I also always thank people for the hunts.

Am I overly anal about etiquette?

Pila

I've generally had good experiences with randoms online, but last night was dumb. I put up a hall for Gravios. People would come in, do one or two hunts, get what they need and then just leave without saying anything. Also, people coming in and posting non-Gravios quests when everyone else in the hall was there for Gravios.

Generally, when I (and many others I've seen) get what I need from a hall, I stick around and do 2-3 more hunts to help the people who still need stuff. I also always thank people for the hunts.

Am I overly anal about etiquette?

You're doing it right, it kills me when people quit without posting the good old "Thanks for hunting". Kids these days. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom