• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

Did some juju melding resets for a bit while I was out today and didn't really get anything of note.

Seems all my best charms have come from hunts, either apex monsters or 126+ GQs.

Kensuke

Some might remember I made a great Blademaster armor set a while ago. I thought that might be one of the ultimate sets, but then I found out about Rodeo God. As a glaive user Rodeo God has become a must have skill. With it I can mount almost twice as much, which highly increases the damage the whole group does.

So I finally had a new mission: create a set with Honed Blade, Steady Hand and Rodeo God. Not an easy task I assure you. After looking through armor parts for hours on kiranico I finally found a combination that gives me:
Honed Blade
Steady Hand
Rodeo God
Expert +1
Constitution +1
750+ defense

It requires some DLC stuff that I can only access with the help of a reviewer friend, but getting and upgrading this set will keep me busy for the next few weeks. :)

ilium

Some might remember I made a great Blademaster armor set a while ago. I thought that might be one of the ultimate sets, but then I found out about Rodeo God. As a glaive user Rodeo God has become a must have skill. With it I can mount almost twice as much, which highly increases the damage the whole group does.

So I finally had a new mission: create a set with Honed Blade, Steady Hand and Rodeo God. Not an easy task I assure you. After looking through armor parts for hours on kiranico I finally found a combination that gives me:
Honed Blade
Steady Hand
Rodeo God
Expert +1
Constitution +1
750+ defense

It requires some DLC stuff that I can only access with the help of a reviewer friend, but getting and upgrading this set will keep me busy for the next few weeks. :)

Athena's A.S.S. could've done that for you in a matter of seconds. :p

Aiustis

Question for all you big fans after watching a bit of the original Monster Hunter on YouTube. I've been playing Monster Hunter (on and off) since Portable, and as far as I can tell, there have only been two major advancements in the core hunting:

+ fixing the hitboxes in *fix*Tri*fix*
+ adding the verticality and jumping in 4

You might also count the swimming in 3, but that was removed in 4. They've also added plenty of ancillary things, like more weapons, farming/Wycoon, additional story framing for the village/caravan, and so on.

I'm not saying the gameplay is stale by any means, and I love the series. I'm just wondering if others feel the same way. Is this just a game that's timeless, and more of the same thing within the same structure is enough to keep it fresh? Or are there some big steps game to game that I'm missing?

Just noticed I didn't post my response. Honestly other than a few minor changes including hitboxes, I do feel like the gameplay is really solid and the game is really timeless.

I actually feel like some aspects of this one are a step in the wrong direction. But I think just continual AI improvements and keep creating unique monsters would be enough especially getting a larger variety of monsters with each new iteration.

co1onel

Question for all you big fans after watching a bit of the original Monster Hunter on YouTube. I've been playing Monster Hunter (on and off) since Portable, and as far as I can tell, there have only been two major advancements in the core hunting:

+ fixing the hitboxes in *fix*Tri*fix*
+ adding the verticality and jumping in 4

You might also count the swimming in 3, but that was removed in 4. They've also added plenty of ancillary things, like more weapons, farming/Wycoon, additional story framing for the village/caravan, and so on.

I'm not saying the gameplay is stale by any means, and I love the series. I'm just wondering if others feel the same way. Is this just a game that's timeless, and more of the same thing within the same structure is enough to keep it fresh? Or are there some big steps game to game that I'm missing?
The biggest changes throughout the series has been the changes in AI. Go fight gold rathian in MHFU then try fighting her in MH4U. She's so much easier in FU because of her lack of attacks and predictable behavior.

Shengar

Honed Blade
Steady Hand
Rodeo God
Expert +1
Constitution +1
750+ defense

I hope it looks great because it might be my only mixed set.

la_briola

Honed Blade
Steady Hand
Rodeo God
Expert +1
Constitution +1
750+ defense

I don't believe that this is possible. Would you mind posting your results?

Kensuke

Athena can't find any results even if you just put in Honed Blade + Steady Hand and nothing else.

Must be due to those pieces from dlc.

I think the program is still very incomplete when it comes to excavation armor and charms. You can activate those two skills together without too much trouble if you grind a few high level guild quests.

Aiustis

The biggest changes throughout the series has been the changes in AI. Go fight gold rathian in MHFU then try fighting her in MH4U. She's so much easier in FU because of her lack of attacks and predictable behavior.

Oh yeah. The AI just keeps on getting better.

On another note: Some recommend me a SnS. Preferably one you use.

Wanderer5

Well I just got into a really bad mood with this game heh. After yet another DC issue that cause me to end with sub quest instead of facing Brachydios by myself, the next hunt was even worse after someone left when there was only one fail left, and then the other two players got dc. I went to just end with subquest, but dios pinned me down thus quest failed.<.< So ridiculous.

Kensuke

I don't believe that this is possible. Would you mind posting your results?

Guild Quest Weapon with +4 or +5 in Edgemaster (I have a few)
White Fatalis Head
Star Knight Armor
White Fatalis Legs
Talisman with +7 in mounting (I have 1)

For arms and waist you have some flexibility. One of them must be an excavation piece with +4 in Edge Lore (I have a waist) and the other must be Torso up (hopefully a high defense one). The key piece here is the Star Knight armor, with torso up it already gives me +6 in Edge Lore and +8 in mounting. I have most of the stuff I need, but it might be a while before my friend is willing to fight White Fatty.

It's still possible to get those three skills without White Fatty if I manage to get an excavation helmet with at least +2 in edgemaster, but the defense stat will probably suffer. I would then also lose expert and constitution.

If I can get both Honed Blade and Steady Hand on one set (something I think Gaijin Hunter said was impossible), I don't care if it looks like I'm wearing monster vomit.

Did you see the other set I posted? It's hideous. :p

Kensuke

Anyone want to grind some lvl 126+ guild quests? IG/SA/CB bias, Chameleos, Kirin and Teostra.

21-9516-5685-0681
pw: 1471

edit: closed

tuffy

Caravan Fatalis is down, which was a pretty dull fight. But I got an Evade Dist +6 charm with two slots, which is great. I could fit Challenger +2 into my Hermitaur Z set with a 3 slot weapon, which would be great. But my Zinogre HBG only has two slots, which is bad. I could forge one of the Najarala guns that have three slots, which are pretty powerful. But those guns don't have good pierce clips, which makes Hermitaur Z's Recoil Down and Pierce Up skills not useful, which is bad.

Looks like it's time to start mixing sets.

Valus

Guild Quest Weapon with +4 or +5 in Edgemaster (I have a few)
White Fatalis Head
Star Knight Armor
White Fatalis Legs
Talisman with +7 in mounting (I have 1)

For arms and waist you have some flexibility. One of them must be an excavation piece with +4 in Edge Lore (I have a waist) and the other must be Torso up (hopefully a high defense one). The key piece here is the Star Knight armor, with torso up it already gives me +6 in Edge Lore and +8 in mounting. I have most of the stuff I need, but it might be a while before my friend is willing to fight White Fatty.

It's still possible to get those three skills without White Fatty if I manage to get an excavation helmet with at least +2 in edgemaster, but the defense stat will probably suffer. I would then also lose expert and constitution.

Did you see the other set I posted? It's hideous. :p

Mind posting pics of the gear and talisman?

Is it possible to get mantles and other rares like that from the g rank expeditions? Reason I ask is because I'm one blos hardhorn from making his full armor. Crazy how I got almost everything from doing a few of those eh?

Yay, made some Seltas Faulds. Unfortunately they hit my Stamina Recovery for -2, and none of my other gear makes up for it

oHxga6b.jpg

Dwx8pUA.jpg

When do I start finding runes or whatever it is that fills the gear slots? Still making my way through the Level 1 HR Quests in the Gathering Hall, haven't started on the Level 2 Caravan Quests

Wanderer5

Yay, made some Seltas Faulds. Unfortunately they hit my Stamina Recovery for -2, and none of my other gear makes up for it

When do I start finding runes or whatever it is that fills the gear slots? Still making my way through the Level 1 HR Quests in the Gathering Hall, haven't started on the Level 2 Caravan Quests

The -2 are no biggie, cause the skill is not active (would need like -10). I kind of wonder if you are aware that you have no active skills actually? Those numbers with the armor pieces could mean nothing if you have so little of those points for each skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom