• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

MH4U feels a lot easier than previous games. I can't tell if it is because I've played too much MH or that it actually is easier. I'm still having fun so it is all good.
Just about to hunt a Najarala for the first time.
So far the low rank has been easy. We'll see what happens with G and high level guild quests.

Quick question. Is there a good reason to get the XL version of the New DS over the regular one for this game?
You mean the XL N3DS over the regular N3DS? Cause if that's the case then a good reason would be the regular not being available outside of Japan.

If you mean the N3DS XL over the OG 3DS, it's supposed to look a bit better and has the little c stick. Not enough for me to buy it.

Raide

You mean the XL N3DS over the regular N3DS? Cause if that's the case then a good reason would be the regular not being available outside of Japan.

If you mean the N3DS XL over the OG 3DS, it's supposed to look a bit better and has the little c stick. Not enough for me to buy it.

Ahh so UK is only the New 3DS XL? Is that correct?

Is there a farm system in this game?
I only completed the level 1 quest and haven't really got to play since. I saw that cooking is back. :)

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh so UK is only the New 3DS XL? Is that correct?

No, in Europe both the regular and XL are available. US only got the XL.

Is there a farm system in this game?
I only completed the level 1 quest and haven't really got to play since. I saw that cooking is back. :)

Yes, do some more quests and you'll get a guy named Wycoon. He'll offer pretty much the same service (multiplying items) as the farms did.

Piotrek

Has anyone managed to download the starter pack bonus for a second character? I've downloaded it for my first hunter, but then changed my mind and opted for playing with a female chara and I really want a Mario skin for my cat.
The starter pack seems to be tied to your NNID. Is there some kind of a workaround or am I out of luck on this one?

R0ckman

Been soloing HR with the cats, the slight boost in boss health makes it more fun. Low Rank enemies die WAY too damn fast. Granted that's great for grinding I guess.

Where is the Felyne area for the Ice Map?

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Arg. The choice is now back on!

If you plan to play mainly at home, get the XL. If you want to take the 3DS with you frequently, get the regular I guess.

Where is the Felyne area for the Ice Map?

I don't remember the area number, but take a left turn in the first area. It's a small area with some grass and trees. *edit* Area 8.

Mzo

That's a decent amount of misinformation.

It's easier to say the N3DS is available everywhere except the US, where we only received the N3DS XL.

The N3DS's improvements include impressively steady 3D through face tracking, the built-in nub and L2+R2 buttons to replace the massively clunky CPP, NFC for Amiibo support, improved battery life, and upgraded innards that run MH4U better and with faster loading that the standard 3DS. It'll also have exclusive software like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D to start.

It's fine to choose not to upgrade, but it's not a small difference in case other people are interested.

Raide

If you plan to play mainly at home, get the XL. If you want to take the 3DS with you frequently, get the regular I guess.

Hrmm.. I am more likely to ply it at home I guess.

I am kinda getting tempted on trading in some games I don't play and grabbing one but it will be yet another Nintendo console I buy for one game. :D

Oregano

Arg. The choice is now back on!

The only reasons to get the XL is if you want bigger screens and a bigger 3DS. I went from XL to N3DS and couldn't be happier.

Has anyone managed to download the starter pack bonus for a second character? I've downloaded it for my first hunter, but then changed my mind and opted for playing with a female chara and I really want a Mario skin for my cat.
The starter pack seems to be tied to your NNID. Is there some kind of a workaround or am I out of luck on this one?

I think you're out of luck unfortunately. I believe only your first character can get the pack.

Hrmm.. I am more likely to ply it at home I guess.

I am kinda getting tempted on trading in some games I don't play and grabbing one but it will be yet another Nintendo console I buy for one game. :D
I bought wiiu for Mh, I bought 3ds for Mh. It's worth it. ;) I go where Mh goes.

I guess everyone DC'd, but I've still got the room up.

45 4837 7087 9114
Just need a Jumbo bone, and I should be good to hunt whatever.

Prototype

Maybe I missed the text explaining it but, when do you get an extra cat?

I haven't gone online yet, is it an online only thing? I'm only at Harth.

Juraash

Got to really sink my teeth into this yesterday and I'm super pleased so far. The changes to movement and how fluid things are have really opened my eyes to new weapons and play styles. This is the first time in the hundreds of hours I've played this series where I'm enjoying experimenting with different weapons.

I have noticed that things seem a bit easy so far, but I'm not sure if that's the game or just that I've logged a ton of hours with the series. Also not being very far in might be part of it.

This is the best playing MH yet imo and I'm super excited to log a bunch more time with it.

Pachimari

My background with this franchise started with the Wii U demo of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I didn't get the hang of it and ultimately found it boring. I were very disappointed by the "clumsy" (or so I thought at the time) controls, animations and combat. After another chance I figured I wouldn't touch it again.

Then Monster Hunter Freedom Unite came out on iOS, and I fell in love with the idea of having this grand adventure on my phone everywhere I go. To my surprise it controlled really well and I quickly got what it was all about, especially thanks to the tutorial which I set out to go through. Unfortunately my iPhone 5 bricked and the game is not on Android.

So I bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for my Wii U but admittedly haven't touched it. I haven't had the mind to do so. Today, I bought a New Nintendo 3DS along with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Again, I fancied the idea of a portable exclusive adventure, and being able to play through it in 3D. I loved and still love 3D and the platform where I see most support is at Nintendo 3DS.

I have only so put in the cartridge, and a little while longer I were stunned and immersed by the phenomenal intro in 3D. Everything had depth (I have seen 3D before, also on a Sony HMZ-T1 which I owned before) and the technology just worked much better than on the OG 3DS. With some distance to my face it had no trouble following my face, and so I never lost focus. Right after I set out to create my character and companion, which I am very satisfied with (even though the customizations seems a little on the thin side), and so it began, my very own adventure, setting sail in a desert.

I have only tried to move around my character briefly and using the c-stick for the camera movements, and I have to say, I am very pleased with the c-stick of the New Nintendo 3DS. It is responsive and seems like a very useful way of maneuvering the camera.

At this point, I am very happy.

wiibomb

blind monsters don't have music afaik.

Music starts when the monster sees you and khezu has no eyes so...

That's not exactly true, Gore Magala, Gigginox and other monsters do not have proper eyes but you still hear the music.

Khezu is a special case, the developer wanted to make it a creepy fight since the first gen when it appeared and then they decided that music would be heared only when it's enraged, I think there are no monsters like that in the entire series.

Who wants to do Daren Mohran?
Please halp.

Gathering Hall ID: 56-9513-3357-0959

Name's Cenobite.

EDIT: To specify, I need the Urgent Quest for HR 4 done. :p

Crap it sounds like some of you are progressing so quickly in this game - it did just come out this past Friday right? I downloaded the game on Friday and started playing by that evening and I played almost all day yesterday but my progression is crawling in comparison to you guys. I'm only on the village urgent quest to get to 3 star quests...

And I'm not a total MonHun newb - I played through most of MH3U solo until I got to the really really high level quests. I am not playing multiplayer at all (just like I soloed in MH3U) so I'm just astounded at how quickly some of you are burning through this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom