• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

So is it better to have a weapon that does 144 damage plus 266 elemental or is it better to have a weapon that does 233 damage?
I will always favour raw damage over elemental. Elemental damage will have varying levels of effect depending on the monster's weaknesses and resistances whereas raw damage will always be consistent.

Faiz

Looks like I'll be snowed in tomorrow. So much monhun to be had. Been a busy weekend and barely made it into 3 star village quests but it's always a slow burn with me.

rpmurphy

Monster hunter rookie here, how do I get the three star quests? I've killed both the big Jaggi and the Seltas, do I have to do every 2 star quest?
If you are talking about progressing in the main story, you need to do the first two Expeditions (open up the world map), and then it will open up an Urgent quest.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So is it better to have a weapon that does 144 damage plus 266 elemental or is it better to have a weapon that does 233 damage?

Raw is useful against almost everything. Elemental is more useful on a few select monsters(look them up) and very weak against many others. (Think of elemental damage as a bonus if fighting certain creatures, sometimes it helps a lot, a little, or not at all...and in those cases you are stuck with the lower raw damage unless you switch out)

Elemental weapons can be fun to switch around for various hunts, but you'll be stuck progressing them all if you always want that damage bump(not to mention running back and forth between hunts to your chest to switch sets).

For the lazy or safe route, just go with the highest pure(raw) damage.

If you are talking about progressing in the main story, you need to do the first two Expeditions (open up the world map), and then it will open up an Urgent quest.
Okay, got it. I went straight into online hunts so that might have interrupted my flow. Thanks, and thanks for replies above.

tuffy

I'm so behind on the online. I always finished the single player first before hopping online >.<
I'm pretty much doing the same thing. I find going from the single player side to online multiplayer is easy because I already know what to expect, but doing things online first doesn't always translate to good single player experience.

Anura

This game loves me so far. I just got out of low rank and so far I've gotten 4 Ian plates, 3 gore plates, 2 zin plates, 2 earth dragon gems, and a Los plate

denshuu

I'm on about 3 hours of sleep since launch. Worth it.

uP5aDRO.jpg

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if you can tag items to give you a different notification sound like you could in Monster Hunter 3? If so, how do you do this in MH4U?

My brother and I played today for... Eight hours and fifty minutes. Seven of those hours were in a lobby with the same random (four with another, but they had to go for dinner). Everyone added each other for any future play. In the end we were all changing our Chat options to inside jokes stemming from the quests throughout the day.

I love this game. <3

That's awesome!! Yeah it is SO DIFFICULT to chat in game...

denshuu

Wow, that's a great set. Is it the armor or have you got a crazy talisman to tie it together?

Just the armor. The talisman is Handicraft+4. The armor naturally has Handicraft+4 on it, so I just made two Handicraft+1 decorations. Gemmed regular earplugs up to HG earplugs and put in SpeedSharpen since there were 5 extra slots.

Santiako

Aesthetics aside, the Mario hat makes your palico target large monsters first, and the Luigi one target small. Taking that into account, I went Mario. I suppose I could have made an abomination, and mixed the hats and overalls, but I'm not a barbarian.

I actually prefer the Palicos target small monsters, they are great at keeping the annoying ads at bay.

fates

I can't fully explain, I think the nub on the N3DS is helping my enjoyment but it just feels nice, the online multiplayer is a huge bonus too.

Your experience isn't unusual. I first tried MH waaaaaaaay back in the day on the PSP. I hated it.

Then I found MHFU on sale and bought it to try it again. I hated it again.

Then I got really bored one night and put some time into, and killed a Kut-ku, my first large monster. From that point forward I would dump like 600 hours into the game and now the franchise is one of my favorites.

Anyway my copy is still in the mail, will arrive tomorrow. I start a new job tomorrow so I might be a bit burnt out to play tomorrow night but I hope I can join you guys soon.

Kinsei

Banned
Just took out the frenzied Congalala. That was really, really fun and now I can't wait to take on some harder frenzied monsters.

caesar

Banned
Any got any tips for dealing consistent damage without just doing hit n run? My timing is probably way off but im finding it hard to be aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom