• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any got any tips for dealing consistent damage without just doing hit n run? My timing is probably way off but im finding it hard to be aggressive.

The main thing will be to learn a particular monsters attacks, the animations, where they hit, where their body parts end up. This will help you know where you can safely position yourself, where to aim, and when you need to move.

Other things to watch out for are the monster getting tired (it will drool), and enraged (it will huff visible breath). Tired monsters pause, sometimes trip, and are generally slow. You'll have lots of opportunities to get aggressive. Conversely, you'll have different sorts of openings when it's pissed and fast.

Some monsters have things you can take advantage of to create openings. Attacking legs can trip monsters, a well timed flash or sonic bomb (like flash bombing Ketcha Wacha while it swings) will give you some free hits.

Edit: What weapon are you using?

Kensuke

I'm on about 3 hours of sleep since launch. Worth it.

How did you get to G3 within 3 days? Not only that, but grinded a Chameleos set as well. Even without any sleep that seems unlikely. Sorry if this sounds rude, but are you using powersaves? I ask because I've seen quite a few G-rank players using that.

How did you get to G3 within 3 days? Not only that, but grinded a Chameleos set as well. Even without any sleep that seems unlikely. Sorry if this sounds rude, but are you using powersaves? I ask because I've seen quite a few G-rank players using that.

Wow... Leave it to GAF. No matter how hardcore you are, you are probably cheating.

tuffy

x0Clvic.jpg
Evade Extender, I'd missed you so much. I like that it makes bouncing up walls faster, too.

Shengar

If he had group of friends that do the same and tons of luck for rare drop, I think it's possible without any cheating.

MrPanic

Just killed the Seltas Queen for the first time. That was a cute fight. I wonder what kind of gimmicks that fight gets on g-rank cause there's lots of potential in that kind of a fight.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So this might be more of a 3DS technical question but is there any setting I should have on my wifi to keep my 3DS for disconnecting during multiplayer?

Usually after about 15minutes it kicks me from the gathering hall. It doesn't disconnect me from off line so I don't really know what is happening.

denshuu

No powersaves here. We used the wiki to make sure we were only doing key quests and basically made a b-line to G3 and started grinding elder dragons. LR to the end of HR was Friday, G1 Saturday morning. I just finished getting all my Chameleos drops today after 36 captures and 7 kills. Which, according to the wiki, is kind of unlucky. I got extremely lucky on the Najarala drops for the glaive though.

We've seriously just been playing nonstop. And now that I want to go to sleep, I can't.

No powersaves here. We used the wiki to make sure we were only doing key quests and basically made a b-line to G3 and started grinding elder dragons. LR to the end of HR was Friday, G1 Saturday morning. I just finished getting all my Chameleos drops today after 36 captures and 7 kills. Which, according to the wiki, is kind of unlucky. I got extremely lucky on the Najarala drops for the glaive though.

We've seriously just been playing nonstop. And now that I want to go to sleep, I can't.

Damn that is crazy, and lucky. Good job on you guys.

Kensuke

Okay, my bad then. I guess I'm just getting overly suspicious after meeting a few of such players online (they freely admit using powersaves in the chat). Good job and that talisman sounds awesome.

Tenbatsu

Okay, my bad then. I guess I'm just getting overly suspicious after meeting a few of such players online (they freely admit using powersaves in the chat). Good job and that talisman sounds awesome.
Lol it's not just you. I played a Kirin Sub guild quests where the Kirin is stuck at the end of the expedition base camp...

Shengar

What is a powersaves?
The reason I reluctantly play online with randoms is this.

The first two 'big' monsters i've fought I've fainted. Playing with a sword and shield. Tricky game, but fun. One time the monster ran into it's nest (looked like a cave) and I didn't know what to do- can I get it back out?

Kinsei

Banned
The first two 'big' monsters i've fought I've fainted. Playing with a sword and shield. Tricky game, but fun. One time the monster ran into it's nest (looked like a cave) and I didn't know what to do- can I get it back out?

I take it you were fighting the Great Jaggi? That cave was a special shortcut only he can take. It leads to area 4 (his nest).

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Yeah monsters running away after I start kicking their asses... I was a bit miffed. But you can chase them down.

Happy hunting!

Kensuke

What is a powersaves?
The reason I reluctantly play online with randoms is this.

It's a method that basically allows you to alter saves or put on saves of different people on your cart. I'll give you an example of what I've seen:

I was doing G2 missions with other reviewers when a new player comes into the hall to join us. This player is also G2, but is already rocking Rare 10 armor and weapons (G2 is Rare 8-9). Furthermore, he is using gourmet vouchers for every single mission. I research his weapon online and find out you can only get it from a very far G3 monster. I ask and he says he's using powersaves. After that I started noticing more of these players. Sometimes they immediately leave after I ask them, sometimes they tell me. Now I just make rooms with a password on.

Prototype

Just keep at it. You'll get better over time.

MH is one of those games where your skill>your armor skills.

Kinsei

Banned
It's a method that basically allows you to alter saves or put on saves of different people on your cart. I'll give you an example of what I've seen:

I was doing G2 missions with other reviewers when a new player comes into the hall to join us. This player is also G2, but is already rocking Rare 10 armor and weapons (G2 is Rare 8-9). Furthermore, he is using gourmet vouchers after every single mission. I research his weapon online and find out you can only get it from a very far G3 monster. I ask and he says he's using powersaves. After that I started noticing more of these players. Sometimes they immediately leave after I ask them, sometimes they tell me. Now I just make rooms with a password on.

That's unfortunate. Watching people with full White Fatalis Z cart to high rank monsters in MHFU was entertaining for a while, but it got annoying fast. I guess I won't be playing with randoms in this one.

DirtyLarry

Probably has been discussed already, but has anyone else noticed that the text is much harder to read if you do not use 3D? It is very blurry until I enable 3D, and as much as I like the 3D and feel it is the way the game should be played, my eyes bug out a little if I use it to long, so I tend to disable it now and then.
But damn, the text on items, etc. is blurry when doing so.

Kolma

Probably has been discussed already, but has anyone else noticed that the text is much harder to read if you do not use 3D? It is very blurry until I enable 3D, and as much as I like the 3D and feel it is the way the game should be played, my eyes bug out a little if I use it to long, so I tend to disable it now and then.
But damn, the text on items, etc. is blurry when doing so.

I noticed this on 3 ultimate. like the font size used was not perfectly matched with the pixels on the screen so you had to have the 3D slider on a certain level to have the text come out perfect.
Haven't noticed this on 4 ultimate though.

Haint

So with all the Flash Carts, CFW, and Homebrew and shit, are there a fair number of cheaters running around online?

Anyone comment on this? Interested in picking this up, but not even going to entertain it if 3DS is a hack fest online. I don't follow the scene so I have no idea what is or isn't possible.

Gibbo

Users of the insect glaive, ive got an option to upgrade my bone glaive to a bone glaive +. Should i go ahead and do it? or should i save my materials for something else?

DirtyLarry

I noticed this on 3 ultimate. like the font size used was not perfectly matched with the pixels on the screen so you had to have the 3D slider on a certain level to have the text come out perfect.
Do you have the Stable 3D or whatever it is called on or off?
I have it on and I am wondering if it is making it worse than it usually would be. But it is exactly as you say, it is like the 3D slider lines up two layers of text into a crisp layer, and if they are not aligned the text is fuzzy.

EDIT - Just realized it may be relevant, I am playing on a New 3DS XL.

It's because of an error in the rendering. Essentially, they were given depth, and were shrinking/growing based on what depth they were at. This is not an issue in 4.

Kensuke

Anyone comment on this? Interested in picking this up, but not even going to entertain it if 3DS is a hack fest online. I don't follow the scene so I have no idea what is or isn't possible.

Read my post above. I wouldn't say it's infested. I've seen maybe 5-6 'cheaters'. I'm sure there are more, but it's hardly overflowing. I would recommend playing with friends or the friendly GAF people here anyway.

Haint

Read my post above. I wouldn't say it's infested. I've seen maybe 5-6 'cheaters'. I'm sure there are more, but it's hardly overflowing. I would recommend playing with friends or the friendly GAF people here anyway.

Visions of PSO just came rushing back. That's too bad, I'll pass. Thanks for the info and heads up.

Owensboro

Just got to the third village / killed a farting monkey (I'm so happy I just got to type that) and have been having a blast with the game so far, but I've finally been overwhelmed. There are too many armors, and I have no idea which one to go for. I had to switch off of my Hunting horn because no other set has Maestro on it, I can't upgrade my current set (need armor sphere +?), and I'm currently running around with a sword and shield in a leather set because I have no idea which armor to go for. I'm paranoid of accidentally wasting my mats to make the wrong armor, and have hit a wall where I can't really upgrade my weapons anymore (they need mats that I have no idea where to find). Plus, it looks like all the armor I can make just have awful elemental weaknesses, and I know I'm going to burn hours making a set only to immediately get destroyed by whatever element it's weak too.

So, like, anyone got some friendly advice to get me out of this rut? I feel like any decision is a bad one here. Should I just make random armor pieces and gem them to what I want per weapon? Should I be farming old quests to make armors? The thing I just fought (farting monkey) felt like it took way to long to kill (26 minutes?) and I used a heck of a lot of healing items. I'm starting to feel very underpowered, and I don't know how to fix it. :(

DirtyLarry

It's much better than 3U but when in 2D the fonts look like they're anti aliased and blurry as a result.
Thanks for confirming I am not losing my mind.
This is exactly it. The font used for the smaller text appears to be either a pixel based font or has no aliasing enabled. In 3D it looks pretty damn good and crisp (although on items some letters and areas still get slightly blurry), but in 2D they are all anti-aliased and as a result blurrier.

It is not a deal breaker by any means, but it is there.

Kinsei

Banned
Just got to the third village / killed a farting monkey (I'm so happy I just got to type that) and have been having a blast with the game so far, but I've finally been overwhelmed. There are too many armors, and I have no idea which one to go for. I had to switch off of my Hunting horn because no other set has Maestro on it, I can't upgrade my current set (need armor sphere +?), and I'm currently running around with a sword and shield in a leather set because I have no idea which armor to go for. I'm paranoid of accidentally wasting my mats to make the wrong armor, and have hit a wall where I can't really upgrade my weapons anymore (they need mats that I have no idea where to find). Plus, it looks like all the armor I can make just have awful elemental weaknesses, and I know I'm going to burn hours making a set only to immediately get destroyed by whatever element it's weak too.

So, like, anyone got some friendly advice to get me out of this rut? I feel like any decision is a bad one here. Should I just make random armor pieces and gem them to what I want per weapon? Should I be farming old quests to make armors? The thing I just fought (farting monkey) felt like it took way to long to kill (26 minutes?) and I used a heck of a lot of healing items. I'm starting to feel very underpowered, and I don't know how to fix it. :(

You should now have a quest to kill 8 Zamite. Go mining in that area to get armor sphere +'s.

Which HH did you use to fight Congalala?

Haint

Huh? 5-6 is pretty low, and I haven't encountered any that I know of. Didn't see a whole lot of hacking in MH3U either.

Was referring to the part about pass coding rooms to avoid them. Sounds like it's pretty much cracked wide open though, which is an insta-no-buy regardless of how common it may or may not be at the moment.

PKrockin

Don't worry too much about armor in Low Rank. It starts becoming more important in High Rank and especially G-Rank because the armors offer more and better skills. Just get anything with decent defense.

Don't worry about armor's elemental weakness too much either at this point. If it does have a terrible weakness to an element you can eat food that gives you a skill that changes to weakness to a small resistance (Thundercaller, Waterbearer, etc. Cook grains and vegetables to get them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom