• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

Just beat the Nerscylla, time for new armour I think, it was hitting a lot harder and quicker than I expected. I'm still using the starting armour and getting caught in it's jaws meant 1/2 health + more from poison.

Is it me or parts are harder to break off at the start of the game?

My memory tells me it was easier at the beginning of MH3U.

Been breaking off bits here and there, using charge blade. Managed to break Tetsucabra's jaw and Nerscylla's spikes on the back, which were both sub quests.

ohkay

Is it me or parts are harder to break off at the start of the game?

My memory tells me it was easier at the beginning of MH3U.

I haven't gotten very far yet, but it was a pain getting king's frills off of great jaggi cuz it would just die so fast. Never had a problem with them in 3u

Shengar

Been breaking off bits here and there, using charge blade. Managed to break Tetsucabra's jaw and Nerscylla's spikes on the back, which were both sub quests.
How do you regularly break Nerscylla's back? Using lance and no luck. My diagonal thrust always hit its leg or abdomen presumably.

EDIT: oops, double post. I thought the thread move at faster rate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There are spikes on the tail normally. When it exerts itself the tail sort of puffs up and turns white as the spikes disappear.

I just fought the thing and don't remember any spikes at all.

I haven't gotten very far yet, but it was a pain getting king's frills off of great jaggi cuz it would just die so fast. Never had a problem with them in 3u

Bash it's face in when it does it's call thing. A couple of hits should be enough to break it.

Shaggy down. That was something. It was going pretty well until I got him down to I think around 10% health. After that it wouldn't stay still AT ALL. I carted twice within that window. Third time I went back I was like I was shitting myself. I got near him and jumped off a ledge. He reared back to do something and then I saw text pop up on screen and I was like, "HELLLLLLL NO" then his punk ass crumpled into the dirt. Should have got a 360 pan right there from GG, crazy moment.

I managed to get 2 plates out of him too lol

FiraB

Banned
I really want to play this game tonight. But I'm only (possibly) getting a N3DS tomorrow.

Question: If I we're to buy the digital version tonight on my Old normal 3DS can I transfer my game+progress to the N3DS when I get it?
its alright man, i got it on the old 3ds and transferred fine to new 3ds, just make sure to backup your saves.

Filth

Ok guys I jumped in. Quick question. The charge blade. I've used lance for the last 3 mh's and I thought it might be time for a switch. I've been using the charge blade so far and I don't understand the properties. The charges in the top left corner with it half filled and yellow. And then all red? Can someone explain it real quick ?

hmmmm just got the parts for gunner bnhabra for my bow, but wondering what's the point. usually you only apply status once and you get enough arrows to do that once at least, so why double it. gonna work on atk+ gunner armor next

Ok guys I jumped in. Quick question. The charge blade. I've used lance for the last 3 mh's and I thought it might be time for a switch. I've been using the charge blade so far and I don't understand the properties. The charges in the top left corner with it half filled and yellow. And then all red? Can someone explain it real quick ?

Basically when in axe mode you get enhanced axe move by pressing A. To get phials (the slots, 1 charged move per use) you need to attack stuff in sword mode. First you'll hit yellow where if you load up your axe gives 3 phials. If you keep going till you hit red you'll have 5 phials. Don't continue attacking once you're red because the weapon can overcharge which leads to all attacks deflecting.

Another thing you can do with your phials outside of burning them on charged axe moves is transferring energy (this shit is confusing to explain) into your axe. The way to do this is by doing the last hit of your axe combo which can also be performed by A+X. While the axe is being cocked back press R to return to sword mode except you'll see that your shield is glowing red/yellow. What this does is enhances your blocking power and increases axe damage. You need to dump 3 phials into your shield for a red shield (lance blocking capability and 20% damage boost in axe mode) and less than that gives you yellow which is slightly worse.

Just mess around with the weapon seeing what goes where. It's pretty weird at first.

lum0s

Banned
So does anyone know the trick for dropping straight down from climbing for a drop attack? I did it once but not sure how I accomplished it. Normally, pressing A just launches me way further than I want most of the time, and pressing B just slides down the wall.

You guys aren't making easier lol.
I suggest against long sword as it's difficult to master online for a beginner (didn't even read your original question so I'm assuming you're a beginner)
Eh, it has decent range, damage, speed and a good evade, I'd agree it's the all around best to start with. SnS is simple to play with, but they're all about elemental damage so you need to keep multiple to switch around for different monsters. Hammer is great, but the short range and slow attacks will destroy people who aren't familiar with a monster and commit to attacks when they shouldn't.

It's not the best online unless you're playing with 3 gunners. The only thing more annoying than an inexperienced LS user is an inexperienced Pellet gunner.
Please, the LS hate is so overblown, I've been hit by just as many shitty GS, SA, DB, GL, Hammer users.

If you want to "master" using the LS online then don't stand right next to people and attack (just like every other weapon): Mastery Acheived.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh, it has decent range, damage, speed and a good evade, I'd agree it's the all around best to start with. SnS is simple to play with, but they're all about elemental damage so you need to keep multiple to switch around for different monsters. Hammer is great, but the short range and slow attacks will destroy people who aren't familiar with a monster and commit to attacks when they shouldn't.

The hammer is good for forcing players to learn the monsters, plus the stun is great and it can hit places that bladed weapons can't for full damage.

Kolma

Just realized that Qurupeco isn't in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate...
Don't know if I should be happy or sad :(
4b4f1d0de200070a374ae643e5f477c2.png

Kolma

Seriously? The plans for the axe made from his drops is still in!

There is a material trader, and you can trade for his materials.

Once you finish the first village you can trade for materials for monsters not in 4U like the Quropeco, Azuros, and Royal Ludroth

I guess in a way this forces you to do single player if you want certain monster equips/weapons

co1onel

My current set feels really overpowered at low rank. Sleep coating boost, bomb boost, and barrel bomb+'s means I'm killing everything in 5 minutes in the village quests.

Killer

Banned
Go with the hammer. Just aim for the head. You won't be able to cut tails, but it'll make the learning curve easier.

I suggest against long sword as it's difficult to master online for a beginner (didn't even read your original question so I'm assuming you're a beginner)

The problem with the hammer it's super slow. I need something faster.

so like just keep on attacking his head? also does it matter out of a group who dealt major damage to its head? Do everyone have a equal chance of getting the ears at the end?

Yes, try to target his ears basically, and eventually you will see them break, get tattered.

Since I believe breaking his ears tends to be the sub quest for most of his quests, you'll see "sub quest completed!" when you did it.

Go with the long sword. Super easy to use and good damage. If you play with other people make sure no one is close when you do the spirit combo or if a monster is toppled go to the other side and do it.

Its annoyingness is greatly exaggerated

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
i can skip the weapon quests? I've done alright. Probably going to keep the insect weapon. I have typically used greatsword, but somehow I feel like I need to work up to that. I'm doingh the second set, went to guild missions, then went back village quests.

I hate that feeling of getting all your items and thinking you need more, just to run around to see if the same monster has spawned, and only getting down to 5 min just to realize you had more than enough to complete the mission. 45 min could of been 5.

Why do they let you buy the same weapon in your inventory? Isn't one enough? At the start? I bought a greatsword and I already had one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Once you finish the first village you can trade for materials for monsters not in 4U like the Quropeco, Azuros, and Royal Ludroth

I guess in a way this forces you to do single player if you want certain monster equips/weapons

Azuros isn't in either? He was my favorite early monster to fight, I used him to learn how to read monsters and their patterns in the last game :(

Filth

Basically when in axe mode you get enhanced axe move by pressing A. To get phials (the slots, 1 charged move per use) you need to attack stuff in sword mode. First you'll hit yellow where if you load up your axe gives 3 phials. If you keep going till you hit red you'll have 5 phials. Don't continue attacking once you're red because the weapon can overcharge which leads to all attacks deflecting.

Another thing you can do with your phials outside of burning them on charged axe moves is transferring energy (this shit is confusing to explain) into your axe. The way to do this is by doing the last hit of your axe combo which can also be performed by A+X. While the axe is being cocked back press R to return to sword mode except you'll see that your shield is glowing red/yellow. What this does is enhances your blocking power and increases axe damage. You need to dump 3 phials into your shield for a red shield (lance blocking capability and 20% damage boost in axe mode) and less than that gives you yellow which is slightly worse.

Just mess around with the weapon seeing what goes where. It's pretty weird at first.

Blehhhhhh I understand what your saying but the lance was always so simple and good defense :(. Decisions decisions. :(

Cerity

The hammer can be one of the more mobile weapons if you play it right IMO.

Use your R charge/big pound as your main attack, concentrate on the face or legs of the monster. When it's knocked over or stunned chain up a XXX combo or do the whirly charge if you've got a status/elemental hammer.

It's a very safe play and you only really have to concentrate on learning the monster given how straight forward it is.

edit: I found that in 3U the hammer did a whole bunch of stamina damage as well, so there'll be a quite a few moments where the monster just sits there breathing and open to attacks.

Killer

Banned
Go with the long sword. Super easy to use and good damage. If you play with other people make sure no one is close when you do the spirit combo or if a monster is toppled go to the other side and do it.

Its annoyingness is greatly exaggerated

I'll check it out. So once i pick a class, i'm stuck with it? can't change it?

ohkay

Why do they let you buy the same weapon in your inventory? Isn't one enough? At the start? I bought a greatsword and I already had one.
That's for upgrading down different trees of the same weapon, so you might need multiple of the same weapon if you want to go down different paths of the tree.

9 hours in! Just finished making the Velociprey set and fought the Kecha Wacha for the first time. I love the more colorful monsters, so he was right up my alley. Now I can't wait to hang out with my friends this week and do some local play, it should be fun!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I see. thanks!

You can just try them all out until you find something you like that way.

9 hours in! Just finished making the Velociprey set and fought the Kecha Wacha for the first time. I love the more colorful monsters, so he was right up my alley. Now I can't wait to hang out with my friends this week and do some local play, it should be fun!

I love hopping on his back, he's a fun boss.

ChrisD

On the earlier topic of parts: I won't say that it's more difficult now, but it does seem much less... fulfilling. I blame the muddy textures. Everything blends with everything else way too much. Makes the broken parts just look normal, basically.

Shengar

Please, the LS hate is so overblown, I've been hit by just as many shitty GS, SA, DB, GL, Hammer users.

If you want to "master" using the LS online then don't stand right next to people and attack (just like every other weapon): Mastery Acheived.
I guess the LS hate came from indiscriminate use of spirit combo which is a string of wide ranged horizontal slices. But beside that, LS normal attack are all vertical slices and stabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom